The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

g-boaf

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Philistine wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:
Every rider I encounter is elite. Comparatively speaking......
What I meant was we do have some NRS riders around my area, and a track rider who is scary fast. They are all okay. :) If someone wants to go much quicker than me, they can feel free to do so. I don't feel the need to have to ride a different bike because someone else rides faster.
I used to get pretty pleased with myself if I managed to snag a Strave KOM. I got one in Western Sydney a while ago with a time of one minute forty seconds (the previous KOM was 1:44). A scary fast track rider (probably the same one you are talking about) took it off me with a quite absurd time of sixty three seconds. This makes him 37% faster than me or me 58.7% slower than him, depending on how you do the maths. I don't think I'll be getting that KOM back any time soon.
Yeah, it is him. :) He's alright and has a lot of knowledge too. If you ever wanted to get into riding track he can give you a lot of good pointers.

I don't ride that fast on shared paths/cycleways nowadays, I do my big efforts on uphill streets/roads instead, it's a lot safer. If I ever did go back on Strava, I've got a few rides that will obliterate some KOMs by a huge margin. They have power and HR data as well so nobody can argue it. It was just a time when I'd done a big block of riding for about 4 weeks and I was riding really fast at that time. Most of the others I'd like to have a go at are all longer segments (30min or longer) and well out of the Sydney region. Those long segments are a real challenge - especially the uphill ones. One I'd love to go and do again was about 20km long and about 4% average with bits at 10 or 11%.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Yeah, it is him. :) He's alright and has a lot of knowledge too. If you ever wanted to get into riding track he can give you a lot of good pointers.
Geoff Stoker perhaps?

I was in front of him on a couple of segments around here but it was clear he was just idling along after getting a few random KOMs. A month or two later I'd lost them bar one where we were equal and one I'm going to keep my mouth shut about so I can keep it. :roll: Those that he took off me were so much faster that if I didn't know who he was I would swear it was some bloke on a moped.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Hergest wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Geoff Stoker perhaps?

I was in front of him on a couple of segments around here but it was clear he was just idling along after getting a few random KOMs. A month or two later I'd lost them bar one where we were equal and one I'm going to keep my mouth shut about so I can keep it. :roll: Those that he took off me were so much faster that if I didn't know who he was I would swear it was some bloke on a moped.
You'd need something faster than a moped to beat him. My wife owns a moped and I've taken it for a spin once or twice. I am actually faster on my road bike on the flat or downhill. I'm not much of a climber and I'm ever so slightly faster on the moped up hills - but not fast enough to cause Geoff Stoker to look anxiously over his shoulder!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Philistine wrote:
You'd need something faster than a moped to beat him. My wife owns a moped and I've taken it for a spin once or twice. I am actually faster on my road bike on the flat or downhill. I'm not much of a climber and I'm ever so slightly faster on the moped up hills - but not fast enough to cause Geoff Stoker to look anxiously over his shoulder!

Lol! Okay, a Ducatti then.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Hergest wrote:
Philistine wrote:

Lol! Okay, a Ducatti then.
Living in Guildford you are probably familiar with a Strava segment called "Climb to Pipes", which is one of the great man's KOM collection. About a year ago some comedian posted a "ride" that included this segment at - wait for it - 89 kph (c/w Geoff Stoker's 39 kph). I had the pleasure of flagging this, and, in the space where you type the reason why you are flagging the "ride" I put "more than double the average speed of the current KOM, who just happens to be a World Champion". Does this qualify me as Geoff's Strava Domestique?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:35 am

g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Except until some elite rider turns up and makes you look slow.
What I meant was we do have some NRS riders around my area, and a track rider who is scary fast. They are all okay. :) If someone wants to go much quicker than me, they can feel free to do so. I don't feel the need to have to ride a different bike because someone else rides faster.
Yeah, I assumed that :) I stand by my comment though :lol:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Two guys...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Philistine wrote:
Hergest wrote:
Philistine wrote:

Lol! Okay, a Ducati then.
Living in Guildford you are probably familiar with a Strava segment called "Climb to Pipes", which is one of the great man's KOM collection. About a year ago some comedian posted a "ride" that included this segment at - wait for it - 89 kph (c/w Geoff Stoker's 39 kph). I had the pleasure of flagging this, and, in the space where you type the reason why you are flagging the "ride" I put "more than double the average speed of the current KOM, who just happens to be a World Champion". Does this qualify me as Geoff's Strava Domestique?
I think he might be a double world champion actually. That's a quick time he has on that segment.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 pm

fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:
Yeah, I assumed that :) I stand by my comment though :lol:
I stand by my comment too. Clearly even a world champion isn't fast enough to be able to do without a tail light.

In a similar vein if you are fast enough you can use a white light at the back because it will look red.

Cheers,

Cameron

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Pipe bomb wielding australian cyclist gets arrested while stealing stuffed turtle

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/0 ... _23019990/

Perhaps we need more cases like this to break the mould of generic hatred against cyclists within the psyche of the Australian motorcar faring public
Go!Run!GAH!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Are smoke bombs legal?

Edit: $10 each

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Had a near miss because of some crazy guy riding on the wrong side of an uphill blind curve on a shared path.

Not what you expect for a sedate easy afternoon ride. Fortunately I was not going quick and I have good brakes, because the guy didn't seem bothered to move over until it finally clicked that someone was coming towards him.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Pipe bomb wielding australian cyclist gets arrested while stealing stuffed turtle

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/0 ... _23019990/

Perhaps we need more cases like this to break the mould of generic hatred against cyclists within the psyche of the Australian motorcar faring public
Perhaps we need a forum head count ? ............wasn't me

antigee

Postby antigee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm

......nearly wasn't me permanently this am - usually I'd ride under the Chandler Highway bridge (Yarra trail, Melbourne) and push up the steps but a "cyclists dismount" sign and a truck reversing up the path and frenzied construction activity encouraged me to try the signalised cycle/ped crossing outside the Guide Dog HQ - As I waited a ped' appeared at the far side and pressed the button and I saw the green ok to cross light in front but at the far side of the road from me and started to set off to see just in time the one on the pole in the middle still red - traffic approaching and a thanks to the truck driver who started to slow as I struggled to push pack onto the kerb - two separate lanes - island in the middle should have guessed 2 stage crossing - moron enough to look in the wrong place - moron enough to forget that ped' and cycle facilities often lack the obvious clarity that makes roads safe for vehicles

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm

antigee wrote: cycle facilities often lack the obvious clarity that makes roads safe for vehicles
Yes, that's why there are so many fewer motor vehicle accidents than cycle accidents. :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

antigee

Postby antigee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm

bychosis wrote:
Yes, that's why there are so many fewer motor vehicle accidents than cycle accidents. :roll:
I find myself muttering "bloody cyclists" under my breath as I listen to the traffic news with its bingles, prangs and multiples :lol:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 am

My commute is pretty tame, so when I get a little trifecta like this I've got to dress it up, like country news putting on fascinators to make an impact at Phlegmington. *cough cough*

I also think of the dumb things I've done while along various parts of my old commute dating back 20yrs in the area and remember that Pearl Jam line in Not For You:
"If you hate something, don't you do it too". Now off to another fine sunrise commute.

fingy

Postby fingy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Cyclist ahead points to the ped path, ped too cool for ped path responds by
sticking his hand in the way and getting buzzed by following cyclists :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 am

^ reason number 789 to not do the river loop

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah, I was just gonna ask there this awful piece of infrastructure interface was.

antigee

Postby antigee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm

^^^ 1m wide walking path, 2m wide 2 way cycle path 1 ped 2 cyclists

6 x 2m wide vehicle lanes, 2 cars probably 2 people

it all adds up to peds and cyclist fighting over a very small slice of the cake

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 pm

If riding with excessive speed is an offence, how is it measured if bikes don't have speedos? (Stravas etc excepted).
I really should take up cycling!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:37 am

Speed is measured by the cop pointing a radar at you - speeding is a strict liability offence & it doesn't matter if you don't know how fast you are going. If that worries you, fit a speedo. If like me you are old & fat & slow, keep calm & ride on.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 am

Riding around Iron Cove Bay this morning - separated bike path, ~4m wide, enough for 2 bikes traveling each way - but apparently that's not enough for todays numpties, riding side by side & blocking the entire path. After sitting behind for a bit waiting for them to move over, rider in front of me called out. Rider on wrong side of path then moved a bit to his left, but then chopped back right without so much as a sideways glance. :roll:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:55 am

find_bruce wrote:Speed is measured by the cop pointing a radar at you - speeding is a strict liability offence & it doesn't matter if you don't know how fast you are going. If that worries you, fit a speedo. If like me you are old & fat & slow, keep calm & ride on.
Speaking as a fellow old and fat and slow rider, if I ever pick up a speeding ticket on m' bike, it's getting framed and going straight to the pool room.