The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Summernight wrote:Zombie pedestrian (wearing earphones with music/whatever clearly up too loud and not looking before stepping out onto the road)
HERE yer go, works a treat for me. If you ever see this long haired bearded, ugly as a BFOA bloke on a red Kona, ask for a listen. But step back :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

BianchiCam wrote:I'd hate to have to do a city commute.
How I managed to survive London for 3 years still perplexes me!
As I work at the southwest corner of the CBD, I just ride along Northbank until the MCG, then head north along 3km of road until I get to the Gipps St bridge over the Yarra. After that, the remaining 29km of my commute is pretty relaxing. Even the Northbank bit is OK: most pedestrians react properly to my bell, and I always say "thanks" when they do :) .

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Cleaning out the GoPro and found this one... Stupid owner not using the lead attached to the dog, dog with random direction changes on the shared path. Situation was even more difficult because I was riding with a mate behind.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Two people tonight. One cyclist (maybe a POBSO if you want to call him that) riding along at night in the opposite direction with no lights at all. :roll: Only the wheel reflectors and pedal reflectors made him visible.

And second person was the pedestrian taking his dog for a walk on the cycleway. It wasn't on a leash, and given it was very dark - very, very silly and very dangerous. I was doing about 38km/h but as soon as I saw the guy in the distance I slowed right down to about 18km/h and upon seeing the dog, dropped the speed back to 10km/h just to be sure.

And maybe a 3rd dumb cyclist - or perhaps a scared one - me! :lol: I heard a magpie screeching its warning call and promptly put the hammer down and rode along at 40km/h+. :oops: The bird left me alone, but I wasn't taking chances while there was still some daylight.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 am

I was riding a completely unlit section of shared path yesterday evening on my way home, and by completely unlit I mean surrounded by trees with no street or house lights in sight, and with the moon in its dying phase. Next thing I know, there's a pedestrian right in front of me, walking on the right side of the path, with dark, non-reflective clothes and carrying no lights. When I mentioned this to him, he just swore at me. Sometimes I think some pedestrians deliberately try to be invisible, just to stir up arguments, or to somehow assert their 'ownership' of the 'shared' path.

K2

Postby K2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 am

bychosis wrote:Cleaning out the GoPro and found this one... Stupid owner not using the lead attached to the dog, dog with random direction changes on the shared path. Situation was even more difficult because I was riding with a mate behind.
Yup, used to get quite a few of those at a local park. At least they've read the signs. Now all we need is for councils to add another couple of words just so these folk don't get so confused...."Dogs AND OWNERS must be kept on leash at all times."

Then again, that's just going to end up with a bunch of dogs trailing leads running around willy nilly whilst their owners sporting brand new studded dog collars amuse themselves humming 'Anarchy In The UK'. You could almost convince yourself that these people go out of their way not to do the right thing. :shock:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Summernight wrote:Zombie pedestrian (wearing earphones with music/whatever clearly up too loud and not looking before stepping out onto the road)
HERE yer go, works a treat for me. If you ever see this long haired bearded, ugly as a BFOA bloke on a red Kona, ask for a listen. But step back :wink:
How do you use it? I'm interested as the AZ doesn't quite fit the bill for what I want and the Hornit may be too alienish to be taken notice of.

K2

Postby K2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 am

trailgumby wrote:Used to get a few roadies laugh as I went past doing hill repeats "Geez, we can't let a mountain bike beat us! :twisted: :lol: "
An early morning group of a dozen or so caught up with me a while ago and the oldish chap leading them decided to have a chat, so I ended up sitting on the front with him for 5ks or so. After a while it sounded like one of the younger lads behind was questioning my choice of ride as the older head next to him advised something along the lines of "You can never judge by the bike or how they look. I've seen thin guys who look like a breeze would knock them off leave everyone else for dead." Wise words.

I like your vids. That chest mount works wonderfully.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Nominated - The four riders this morning, one behind each other in close formation, that went sailing past me at speed over the centre line thru the underpass at the bottom of the stretch of path south of the Bull Creek rail station.

I stopped about twenty metres outside of that underpass and looked back at it. Any ped or rider between where I was and the underpass would have very likely come to grief or the riders would have at the speed. There is no way that the riders could have slowed safely if there had been someone there.

The lead riders mumured "watch out" as he was a couple of metres behind me is of no use to me nor to anyone approaching on the other side of the path. A screech would have imroved the situation not an iota.

Dumb cyclists trusting dumb luck. Pls take the road and try your slick riding skills against some cars instead.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Summernight wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
How do you use it? I'm interested as the AZ doesn't quite fit the bill for what I want and the Hornit may be too alienish to be taken notice of.
It's a whistle, you stick the smaller end in yer mouth and blow :wink:
Mine hangs from the shoulder strap of my backpack on one of those retracta reels you hang tags and stuff off, a few $ from Officeworks. Easy to find and unloseable. Mine stays permanently in my teeth for the runs along Swanston or LaTrobe, once I'm out of meanderthal country I just open my mouth and it zips back. Methinks you will find regular use on Albert.
The beauty I've found in it is the way you can get so many sounds out of it from a gentle bikepath friendly "woo" to a full blooded "clown just redmanned in front of me across Flinders Lane at Swanston and there is zero escape room." scream.

EDIT!!! Ffwd the video to the 1:25 mark for the action.

The offer of a demo is always open but bring Perseus' shield with you :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 am

Darn it. I just can't hold it in my mouth for the whole of Collins St. 1) I'm not good with holding things in my mouth (can't even do the dental visits well with one of the best gag reflexes) and 2) I'm puffing my head off with full mouth-breathing to survive the hill... But maybe I could attach it to my pink girls horn... Or just start collecting weird and wonderful horns/whistles and attaching them to my backpack. :lol:

(I thought there was a pull-able version where you just pull the string out and, like a wind-up toy, the whistle will go off until the string has retracted the whole way back in)

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Another one for the road.

Red Light Cyclist

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Older woman walking on a shared path in Melbourne yesterday clearly didn't like being passed by our large group of cyclists. As soon as she realised we were coming up behind her (no surprises, lead cyclist rang his bell, others called out that there was a walker up), she stepped to the right to walk right down the centre of the path. Then she abused us all for being too noisy. I politely (really, I was polite!) pointed out that it was for her safety that we were letting each other know that she was there but I got told to shut up and stop making so much noise.

At least other walkers on the same trail appreciated the warnings and a few even said thanks as we passed - slowly and widely.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm

TraceyG wrote:Older woman walking on a shared path in Melbourne yesterday clearly didn't like being passed by our large group of cyclists. As soon as she realised we were coming up behind her (no surprises, lead cyclist rang his bell, others called out that there was a walker up), she stepped to the right to walk right down the centre of the path. Then she abused us all for being too noisy. I politely (really, I was polite!) pointed out that it was for her safety that we were letting each other know that she was there but I got told to shut up and stop making so much noise.
some people are just looking for an opportunity to complain. ride on.. :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

jules21 wrote:ride on.. :)
To a bike bell and cleat/uncleat chorus :wink:
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jules21 wrote:ride on.. :)
To a bike bell and cleat/uncleat chorus :wink:
LOL yes I know what happens when you don't hear the uncleat noise and someone just stops walking right in front of you. Its like a hole lot of tambourines hitting together out of chorus. Part of the fun until someone looses an eye or gets yelled at :wink:

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Me, today.
Saw the guys standing around on the exit to the quarry but it didnt register they were there for a reason, and he only started waving at me when i was almost upon the gravel. (camera doesnt show it so well because of the brightness difference i guess?)
Slowed to about 30ish by the time i was on it, picked a line where it was a little sparser. tyres appear to be ok..

Usually on the lookout for isolated rocks coming down there, just hasn't occurred to me until now to look for huge spills.
Last edited by Bah77 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 pm

might go a different way to work tomorrow... see if they've cleaned it up on the way up first

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Theyd have to wouldn't they, i'd assume they'd get fairly decent fines if they just left it there?
Although if they half arse it, could still be fairly annoying.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Bah77 wrote:Theyd have to wouldn't they, i'd assume they'd get fairly decent fines if they just left it there?
Although if they half arse it, could still be fairly annoying.
Yes indeedy they do. Of course, just pushing all the carop onto the shoulder so the smokebox line is clear will be deemed sufficient.

Glad you held it together and stayed rubber down mate. :D
London Boy 29/12/2011

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 pm

That makes two of us.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:05 am

definitely clean this morning

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Bah77 wrote:Theyd have to wouldn't they, i'd assume they'd get fairly decent fines if they just left it there?

chucking lumps of gravel on the road like that is how we get our roads resealed here... :roll: and all road bike riders grit their teeth for 3 months... :lol:

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:49 pm

I forgot about a good one yesterday morning - Overcast conditions and a damp road, just before 9am, a dumb cyclist approches red light. Dumb cyclist does not slow down and blows straight through red light causing crossing traffic (with the green) much angst. One of the cars crossing gave him a blast of the horn (deservedly so) and was rewarded with a middle finger salute. It's always good to see fellow cyclists building good relationships with other road users.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Ninja riding at night, no lights, no reflectors, nothing. And has the nerve to yell out "bloody hell" as I'm going past the other way in my lane. Yes, I agree with his assertion - get some lights so you can be seen at night. :roll: