The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Lazyweek

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lazyweek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
human909 wrote:
Lazyweek wrote:Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.
Did you die?
:lol:
You guys obviously don't think I am dumb for forgetting to clip my helmet on. Should I be insulted :)

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:58 pm

No we think you are dumb in thinking that a helmet will make the difference if you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic. :D

If you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic luck and the competence of surrounding traffic will pay a far bigger part in any positive outcome.

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Percrime wrote:No we think you are dumb in thinking that a helmet will make the difference if you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic. :D

If you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic luck and the competence of surrounding traffic will pay a far bigger part in any positive outcome.
Okay, I bought that one upon myself :) I was just having a light-hearted joke. I agree that a crash at that speed is not going to be pretty!

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 am

Lazyweek wrote:
Percrime wrote:No we think you are dumb in thinking that a helmet will make the difference if you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic. :D

Okay, I bought that one upon myself :) I was just having a light-hearted joke. I agree that a crash at that speed is not going to be pretty!
It's not so much the speed as the other cars that will kill you :P

If only cars were illegal it would be so much safer to ride bikes/vellomobiles around. Or even if vehicles above ~800kg were banned then safety requirements for cars would be a lot less stringent and everyone could drive smaller, lighter and more efficient vehicles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 am

more dog walking stupidity

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 pm

OK riding home yesterday morning from doing my count at Bicentennial Bikeway, about to past the BCC Brisbane Square Bike Entrance heading towards the Botanic garden along the Bikeway. One bloke (on a Bike) is seeing off his mate at the Brisbane Square entrance. I slow down in case the said bloke rejoins the path without looking. I also move out to center of left lane for added safety. There is also a pedestrian heading towards me (on the otherside of path). This Obese (his BMI would of been over 30) lycra warrior in blue dangerously swings out past me then pulls back just in time for the pedestrian, but as he does this his mate a lycra warrior in white overtakes me on my left. :shock: Say What if I had of vered left in surprise I would of taken out the guy in white. Bloody Dangerous!
Well they weren't much of warriors anyway as soon as it was safe for me to open up I was on ther tails in 5 seconds. Then when they got to the Goodwill Bridge they moved around like browns cows! Idiots.

What is with some noobs that just have to overtake the guy in Jeans with Mudguards!
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I blew away a roady one day up a hill. On my mates rusty girly mixte in shorts and tshirt. He appeared unhappy. :twisted:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Percrime wrote:I blew away a roady one day up a hill. On my mates rusty girly mixte in shorts and tshirt. He appeared unhappy. :twisted:
roadies always appear unhappy. he was on a recovery ride ;)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Recently on the commute home approached a road crossing while on the cycle way. 3 riders stopped having a chat on the only point that there is no other way around, a quick little zig zag with fences either side. Rang the bell a couple of times (not obnoxiously I thought) and see them move a bit. As I get closer they decide that they are finished chatting and rather than move out of the way for me to pass old mate decides to start very slowly riding off in my direction and increases his blocking powers long enough that I almost stopped. If he had stayed put would have been less of a blockage.

No sense of how a bike rides from a Lycra warrior apparently out for a cruise. Thanks.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm

jules21 wrote:more dog walking stupidity
Surprised you were able to get traction up the slope in the second one, it looked like the path was covered in drool...

Was that north of the big ribcage on the Moonee Ponds Creek trail?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Surprised you were able to get traction up the slope in the second one, it looked like the path was covered in drool...

Was that north of the big ribcage on the Moonee Ponds Creek trail?
lol. no this was on the capital city trail(?) along merri ck in fitzroy/fairfield

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 pm

jules21 wrote:more dog walking stupidity
I see that and raise the stakes!

How about couple walking dog, husband walking the dogs in his lane of the path, while Mrs was pushing the stroller along the wrong side of the path... And it was a blind corner!!! Are they insane or what?

I could see the shadow of the guy with dogs and slowed down, but the mum with baby was an unwelcome surprise. What is wrong with keeping left on the path? Especially when it is a narrow bridge with no other place for anyone to go.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:49 am

g-boaf wrote:but the mum with baby was an unwelcome surprise. What is wrong with keeping left on the path?
It's a perception thing. You see it as a road, they see it as a footpath.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 am

Thing is, it has clearly marked lines on it. :roll: I do my bit to stay in my lane, others should too. And that includes cyclists riding side-by-side, slowly!

Oxford: Don't have a camera on the bike yet. Unless I rig up a Nikon D3S or a D800e on the bike. :shock:

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

I might have been a dumb cyclist the other day at a cross roads with 3 stop signs (ie; a U shape). I got to the bottom stop sign and stopped, indicating right. A car arrived at the stop sign to my left, then a car at the one to my right. No vehicle was approaching from the top non-stop road.
Then I got confused... who goes first? Do I because I got there first, and we leave in the same order? Or isn't it I give way to the vehicle to the right, the vehicle to my left gives way to me (as I am on their right), then they get to go? Neither of them were making a move so I did the right hand turn... but that's not right, is it?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Kraeg wrote:I might have been a dumb cyclist the other day at a cross roads with 3 stop signs (ie; a U shape). I got to the bottom stop sign and stopped, indicating right. A car arrived at the stop sign to my left, then a car at the one to my right. No vehicle was approaching from the top non-stop road.
Then I got confused... who goes first? Do I because I got there first, and we leave in the same order? Or isn't it I give way to the vehicle to the right, the vehicle to my left gives way to me (as I am on their right), then they get to go? Neither of them were making a move so I did the right hand turn... but that's not right, is it?
Wow, where is this intersection - it sounds like 4 way stop signs in Canada & the US. Despite the common belief that you must give way to the right, that only applies at an "intersection without traffic lights or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line applying to the driver"

Technically road rule 67(3) requires you to "give way to a vehicle in, entering or approaching the intersection"

But & here is the rub, so do the other two vehicles & there is no order of precedence.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 pm

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=ultim ... Wales&z=21

I was coming from the left, turning right to the bottom of the photo.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Kraeg wrote:I might have been a dumb cyclist the other day at a cross roads with 3 stop signs (ie; a U shape). I got to the bottom stop sign and stopped, indicating right. A car arrived at the stop sign to my left, then a car at the one to my right. No vehicle was approaching from the top non-stop road.
I'll take a stab with qld rules but I don't understand what you mean by a U shaped intersection! Do you mean like a + but the top road doesn't have a stop sign and the left, right and bottom roads do? And you are turning right but the other 2 drivers are going straight? I'll assume you do.

* First off everybody has to stop no matter what as they are stop signs.
* Rule 67 doesn't have any effect because you have no oncoming traffic coming from the top road (which you'd have to give way to anyway), so all 3 of you are needing to give way to each other.
* So rule 69A now applies which means you pretend there are no stop signs at this point and move on to standard give way rules in division 2 as if there were no stop signs/give way signs (interesting side note here is that give way signs don't have priority over stop signs, other than the need to actually come to a stop at a stop sign).
* So rule 72(5)(a) now says if you are turning right you have to give way to any vehicle approaching from your right. So you would give way to the driver to your right.
* The driver to your left would give way to you as you are on their right under 72(2).

So your second guess is correct. But rule #1 is give way if you're going to crash otherwise :)

find_bruce is wrong in that you don't stop reading the rules at 67(3) :) 69A says to interpret the rules in division 2 as if there were no stop or give way signs.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah, that's the description (map photo on previous page). I don't know the intended directions of the other vehicles, I don't think I noticed (definitely not to my direction as it's one way for non-bicycle vehicles).

So it seems I was in the wrong, so next time I'll... actually, maybe I'll just avoid that intersection altogether (I rarely use it anyway apart from turning left across the ped crossings into the reverse door zone lane). As I took the turn I was expecting a horn or some verbal abuse, but got none.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Was it really necessary to overtake and save a few seconds when you almost collided with a ped... Got a nice facial shot afterwards as well :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 pm

So, riding up Epping Rd. cycleway on the way to St. Leonards. There's a car crash near East Ryde, the cops have their car and the two involved up on the cycleway with plenty of room to get through. Quick toot on the Hornit and people move out of the way. All good.

Travel a bit further, a bunch of council workers cleaning up the path and doing some gardening. A quick toot on the Hornit, they move out of the way. All good.

Travel up to the Pac. Hwy and some guy is doing Tai Chi in the middle of the cycleway. 2 bike lanes and a pedestrian lane and he takes up all of them. A quick toot of the Hornit - nothing. More tooting - nothing. No other bikes or peds around, shout a loud "oi" as I'm slowing - nothing. I manage to ride by his outstretched arm with about a cm to spare. I felt like giving him a high-five as I passed and congratulating him on his deep dedication to stupidly standing in the way, no matter what. He should try it on the road next time.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
I'll take a stab with qld rules but I don't understand what you mean by a U shaped intersection! Do you mean like a + but the top road doesn't have a stop sign and the left, right and bottom roads do? And you are turning right but the other 2 drivers are going straight? I'll assume you do.

* First off everybody has to stop no matter what as they are stop signs.
* Rule 67 doesn't have any effect because you have no oncoming traffic coming from the top road (which you'd have to give way to anyway), so all 3 of you are needing to give way to each other.
* So rule 69A now applies which means you pretend there are no stop signs at this point and move on to standard give way rules in division 2 as if there were no stop signs/give way signs (interesting side note here is that give way signs don't have priority over stop signs, other than the need to actually come to a stop at a stop sign).
* So rule 72(5)(a) now says if you are turning right you have to give way to any vehicle approaching from your right. So you would give way to the driver to your right.
* The driver to your left would give way to you as you are on their right under 72(2).

So your second guess is correct. But rule #1 is give way if you're going to crash otherwise :)

find_bruce is wrong in that you don't stop reading the rules at 67(3) :) 69A says to interpret the rules in division 2 as if there were no stop or give way signs.
InTheWoods, remember how the uniform road rules are not completely uniform - yep rule 69A is a Queensland special. It makes perfect sense, I agree with the application as you have set it out and in my opinion is the law that ought to apply, but unfortunately it doesn't apply in this case.

Agree with you 100% that rule #1 is do whatever is necessary to avoid a collission. Fortunately on this occasion all was good.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:InTheWoods, remember how the uniform road rules are not completely uniform - yep rule 69A is a Queensland special. It makes perfect sense, I agree with the application as you have set it out and in my opinion is the law that ought to apply, but unfortunately it doesn't apply in this case.

Agree with you 100% that rule #1 is do whatever is necessary to avoid a collission. Fortunately on this occasion all was good.
Gah, stupid non-uniform uniform road rules... :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Was it really necessary to overtake and save a few seconds when you almost collided with a ped... Got a nice facial shot afterwards as well :)
maybe unnecessary, but it didn't look to bad to me. The pedestrian didn't seem to flinch. I would hazard also a fairly common situation in my PSP experience. It is often easier to accelerate a little than to slow and wait.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 am

Not me this time :D , but some person riding a BSO on Logan Road this morning sails straight through a red light into traffic doing a u-turn in front of him....caught up to him as he was struggling big time to get up the small incline into our estate, reminded him that it's a good idea to stop for red lights, otherwise he could be killed.... :(

I was going to give him what for about making the rest of us look bad however he looked in a world of pain so I took the softer approach.
Lisa