The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

TrikeTragic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment ... spartanntp

Headline says:
"Pregnant Chrissy Teigen Reveals She Almost Got Run Over By a Cyclist".

In the text of the article (ooops, at the end)"........she clarified. "I should have looked before stepping out."

Maybe headline should be "Pregnant Chrissy Teigen Reveals she almost knocked cyclist over." :?

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

This guy didn't even register that I was coming, fixated on the group in the other direction.
I could have done better with a vocal warning to force his attention, I did have the vibe that he was a hazard.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:28 pm

TrikeTragic wrote: "Pregnant Chrissy Teigen Reveals She Almost Got Run Over By a Cyclist".
Perhaps it is a sign of my advancing years that I have never heard of 95% of the so-called celebrities that are lionized on main stream media. There was a television programme recently aired called "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here". I thought, in the interests of accuracy, it might have been called "I'm someone you may have vaguely heard of once on a slow news day, get me out of here".

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Philistine wrote:
TrikeTragic wrote: "Pregnant Chrissy Teigen Reveals She Almost Got Run Over By a Cyclist".
Perhaps it is a sign of my advancing years that I have never heard of 95% of the so-called celebrities that are lionized on main stream media. There was a television programme recently aired called "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here". I thought, in the interests of accuracy, it might have been called "I'm someone you may have vaguely heard of once on a slow news day, get me out of here".
nope - its not just you.

"Chrissy who?" - don't know, don't care.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Don't knock B list celebrities, we usually follow USA so one will probably be next Prime Minister...

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:07 am

Jmuzz wrote:Don't knock B list celebrities, we usually follow USA so one will probably be next Prime Minister...
I don't think it reflects badly upon someone to say (accurately) that you've never heard of them. One of the aforementioned I'm-a-celebrity-get-me-out-of-me contestants was - wait for it - Lady Di's butler! If nobody but trivia night fans can recall your name, and you are identified only by a job you held twenty years ago, you are not a celebrity. Who will it be next season - Malcolm Turnbull's proctologist?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Think she was expecting a cyclist from the other direction :lol:

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 am

jaseyjase wrote:Think she was expecting a cyclist from the other direction :lol:

Perhaps the next time you cycle between lines of stopped cars, you could do it slower? You were doing it unreasonably fast, in my opinion.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Perhaps the next time you cycle between lines of stopped cars, you could do it slower? You were doing it unreasonably fast, in my opinion.
I dont disagree i could have gone slower, Im usually scanning watching out for people crossing, i think it didnt help she popped out of behind an SUV where i didnt see her till the last moment.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am

Cyclophiliac wrote: Perhaps the next time you cycle between lines of stopped cars, you could do it slower? You were doing it unreasonably fast, in my opinion.
Gotta keep those strava times up

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 am

He was ok

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:09 pm

jasonc wrote:
He was ok
Was he coming into the corner too hot or did his front wheel clip the back of his mates, hard to tell, but not an ideal place to bin it!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

He was watching the car more than his mates who had stopped. Wet roads meant he locked his rear wheel, the rest is YouTube history 99% sure he didn't clip his mates. Just the gutter and a nice soft landing on grass

uart

Postby uart » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:55 pm

jasonc wrote:He was watching the car more than his mates who had stopped. Wet roads meant he locked his rear wheel, the rest is YouTube history 99% sure he didn't clip his mates. Just the gutter and a nice soft landing on grass
Yeah that's what I thought from watching it. His mates slowed a lot more than he was expecting so he had to bail out. Only a very minor crash.

I've seen this same scenario (or at least similar) unfold many times. It happens when there is something that a rider doesn't think really needs slowing too much for, but the riders in front think otherwise and that can catch you unaware.

In this case the green marked cycle lane at that intersection meant the riders in front probably shouldn't have needed to stop for that car, but they did and it caught him out.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote: Perhaps the next time you cycle between lines of stopped cars, you could do it slower? You were doing it unreasonably fast, in my opinion.
Didn't seem that fast vs motorbike filtering.
A motorbike would have cleaned her up, and no not necessarily any louder since electric bikes are a thing now.

Of course motorbike filtering may not be legal in whichever state, which means pedestrians aren't conditioned to be more aware of it.
In Sydney you can now expect multiple motorbikes up the gap at every lights (legally).

Always good to learn from a near miss though.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Always good to learn from a near miss though.
oh for sure, im sure shes realised to look the right way when crossing the road next time :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:04 pm

The heading implies that its the rental bike that is to blame rather than the person who threw it over the bridge

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... abb70f1a94
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Two tonight:
1. Myself - for not following my own rule, and filtering between a bus and a car when I didn't know the light sequence. I almost got into a nasty situation when the lights turned green.
2. Later, the cyclist who overtook me on the right... while my right arm was out to indicate a right turn.
Last edited by AdelaidePeter on Tue May 01, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coatastic

Postby coatastic » Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Just by the Regatta in Brisbane, a few months back now, but I witnessed a rider dump the contents of his water bottle on the head of an unsuspecting pedestrian who was oblivious to the fact he was walking in the bike path rather than the footpath. I wonder why people hate cyclists :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pm

coatastic wrote:Just by the Regatta in Brisbane, a few months back now, but I witnessed a rider dump the contents of his water bottle on the head of an unsuspecting pedestrian who was oblivious to the fact he was walking in the bike path rather than the footpath. I wonder why people hate cyclists :roll:
Probably had enough, like the guy who drives at a lone rider cause the last 4 bikes he passed ticked him off. They're everywhere.

If you rode through Alfred St roundabout tonight and forgot to stick your right hand out to go aroind the corner, the bus driver agreed with me.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 02, 2018 8:39 am

The 12year old who rode straight out across the Intercity path in Hobart. It's alright mate, I was concentrating on everything else while you were looking down. I expect mum gave you a bollocking anyway.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am

Rode to the local crit track for a training session this morning. Met all the others at the club building, on the grass by the side of the track. When we set off to start, I got my front wheel caught on the edge of the walking path and clip-stacked at 0km/h.

"Don't worry", I said, "I'm a very safe rider. Of course you can trust me in a paceline..."

Thoglette

Evil Cyclist mows down ACT school kids in Black Friday massacre (attempt)

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Canberra school kids mowed down by raging cyclist during cross-country run
From the mixed-bag-of-assorted-fruits-and-nuts files
Jordan Hayne ABC wrote:Police are searching for a cyclist in Canberra who mowed down four school children while they were running a cross-country event.

The children were running near a waterway construction area in Mawson when the man began swerving at them and swearing.

Officers say the man then rammed his bike into one of the children, injuring them, and then came off his bike in the process.

He then re-mounted and targeted three more children, knocking each of them down and running over one boy's foot.
Hint: he wasn't a Rapha wearing Fred.

Now Bitre haven't issued the April stats yet, but to put this into context, 15 pedestrians are are actually killed by motorists each month, on average. Or one every second day.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Me, took off the leg warmers because it was getting a bit too warm, continued on and them bam! Bloody bee sting. Damn that hurt. :oops: It has settled down now.

CrankNFurter

Riding 2 abreast on 2way paths

Postby CrankNFurter » Tue May 08, 2018 9:54 am

My frustration reached the point of signing up to post - I'm a regular commuter in the Melb inner north, and face regular moron behaviour from a minority of fellow riders. My issue is riding two abreast on 2-way shared paths while there is plenty of oncoming traffic and often also a line of others wanting to pass. I experienced this from a couple of oblivious nobs and couldn't help myself from shouting keep left d****** when I finally managed to get past. Very rare for me to get down into the gutter, but it was like the 3rd time on that very ride.
(After my display of heroism I demonstrated my excellent aerobic capacity by blowing away at high speed - assisted by all the other riders politely keeping left...)
Is this a "thing"? Do others have this experience? I could go on and make the same complaint about oncoming riders riding hands off - even pattering along at 20kmh gives you a closing speed of 40. All you need is a pebble under the hands-off rider's wheel and you're picking out your teeth out of the grass. Apparently its actually illegal in some jurisdictions to do this - if you want to show off at least do it when no one is oncoming.
I don't want to encourage incivility out there, but this is a serious safety issue.