The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

herzog

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:47 pm

fat and old wrote:nsible, and something that we all could suffer for (The ignoring of laws. What if that child grows up with the attitude that laws only apply to it when he/she decides they do? And he/she drives a car?).
This is illegal too.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/b ... 53878.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes you've just got to stand for something.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 pm

fat and old wrote:...What if that child grows up with the attitude that laws only apply to it when he/she decides they do? And he/she drives a car?).
Ummm, situation normal?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

yugyug

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby yugyug » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 pm

silentC wrote:. At this point in time it is compulsory to wear a helmet when riding a bike in this country. The case for the negative has yet to be made sufficiently to have it overthrown.
That's an overly simplistic view because there are aspects to the mandatory helmet law that make it particularly hard to repeal. Or in other words, if all that was required was to make a sufficient argument concerning the effects of the law, then the law would have been repealed already, but there are aspects not concerning the effects of the law that hinder its repeal.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 am

Can we add dumb animals to this thread too?

I was happily commuting this morning when.....

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Range

Postby Range » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 am

Well, have just joined today, after lurking for a long time & feel the need to vent..............

Parramatta Early this morning - no daylight - 4 riders together (2 male & 2 female I think) 2 of them with rear lights - no front lights - all 4 went through a red light (so did the car behind mind you).

When I made a polite comment - yes it was polite, about traffic lights & Bike lights, I was invited to procreate with myself.

Great way to reinforce negative opinions!!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:41 am

Range wrote:Well, have just joined today, after lurking for a long time & feel the need to vent..............

Parramatta Early this morning - no daylight - 4 riders together (2 male & 2 female I think) 2 of them with rear lights - no front lights - all 4 went through a red light (so did the car behind mind you).

When I made a polite comment - yes it was polite, about traffic lights & Bike lights, I was invited to procreate with myself.

Well that's just lovely isn't it? Sounds like Darwin's Law might get them if the cops don't.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:54 am

yugyug wrote: That's an overly simplistic view because there are aspects to the mandatory helmet law that make it particularly hard to repeal. Or in other words, if all that was required was to make a sufficient argument concerning the effects of the law, then the law would have been repealed already, but there are aspects not concerning the effects of the law that hinder its repeal.
I use the word 'sufficient' in the sense that whatever argument has been made, it has not been enough to create whatever impetus is required within government to put the wheels in motion to remove whatever obstacles lie in the way of it's repeal. Suffice to say, it currently is law and that's what I think we should be teaching our children. Civil disobedience is great but it should be carried out by people who understand the implications and potential repercussions of what they are doing, not by 3 year olds ;)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:08 am

silentC wrote:I use the word 'sufficient' in the sense that whatever argument has been made, it has not been enough to create whatever impetus is required within government to put the wheels in motion to remove whatever obstacles lie in the way of it's repeal.
What relevance does this have? It took a long time for slavery to be repealed, for women to get the vote, for homosexuality to be legal.
silentC wrote:Suffice to say, it currently is law and that's what I think we should be teaching our children.
Yep, lets outsource the importance of child rearing to the law. :roll:

We are lucky enough to live in a currently with only a small amount of grossly unethical, discriminatory or downright abusive laws. There are plenty of countries where the laws are at significant odds to the beliefs of many of the people. So sure in Australia what we teach our children might often align with the law. But not all our laws are perfect. In many areas of life laws are routinely broken and that is accepted by the authorities and the public.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 am

Do I really need to explain it to you?

A. Yes I recognise you are all out there fighting the good fight against helmet laws. Hooray for you.
B. A child under the age of 16 is not considered by most aspects of society to be old enough to make their own decisions. Teaching them to obey some laws and disobey others sends a confusing signal.

Far out, it's a simple enough point to make. If you want to wrangle it into some argument about MHL, do it without my assistance, ok? :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 am

The kid DID have a helmet on. The adults did not.

Looks like we are all in agreement.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 am

Gawd... I'll save you the trouble of clicking back to the previous page. I was posting in support of this:
We have 2 parents that are effectively telling their child that they are above the law. Whether or not that law is good or bad doesn't matter. The parents in question may be raising the child to think for itself; make decisions based on the situation at hand rather than just blindly follow a law for the sake of it. If so then that's one smart 3 year old. Otherwise it's irresponsible, and something that we all could suffer for (The ignoring of laws. What if that child grows up with the attitude that laws only apply to it when he/she decides they do? And he/she drives a car?).
These online arguments are really taxing on the memory, aren't they?
- Me

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 am

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 am

silentC wrote:Far out, it's a simple enough point to make. If you want to wrangle it into some argument about MHL, do it without my assistance, ok? :)
Forget the debate about helmets. I'm happy to keep that elsewhere. What I am advocating is blind law abidance under all conditions (even for under 16s) is absurd. Calling those described in the first post "dumb" is plain intolerant.

There are plenty of laws which are regularly broken. VHS recorders existed and were used in Australia for a couple of decades. Their use was almost entirely illegal. That is just one example.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

And what I am advocating is that until a child is old enough to make mature decisions (albeit wrong ones) then we should be teaching them to obey the law. It's what civilised society is all about. Sure, if you disagree with a law, protest against it. Nobody is saying we should put up with bad laws. I am talking specifically about a basic principle of law abidance which should be instilled in our kids. It's not absurd, that is nothing more than responsible parenting in my opinion.
- Me

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am

silentC wrote: A. Yes I recognise you are all out there fighting the good fight against helmet laws. Hooray for you
Thanks, its pretty arduous sometimes.
B. A child under the age of 16 is not considered by most aspects of society to be old enough to make their own decisions. Teaching them to obey some laws and disobey others sends a confusing signal.
It doesn't send a confusing signal to a 3 year old because 3 year olds don't have a proper conception of what law is. They do what mummy and daddy tells them and only question it an immature sense, which is insignificant. A child's conception of the law develops as they age, through praxis e.g what has effect and significance to their actions and that of their families and peers. At the other end of the scale you mention, a 16 years old is fully capable of understanding the problems of a mandatory helmet law and why their parents may or may not choose to wear them.

IMO any 'confusion' or questioning that develops in the intervening years can be used as an opportunity to discuss the issues Human raises, using examples suitable for the intellectual capacities of the child. For example, past injustices of practices like slavery are simple enough to present clearly to many children that morality doesn't always align with law.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 am

silentC wrote:And what I am advocating is that until a child is old enough to make mature decisions (albeit wrong ones) then we should be teaching them to obey the law. It's what civilised society is all about. Sure, if you disagree with a law, protest against it. Nobody is saying we should put up with bad laws. I am talking specifically about a basic principle of law abidance which should be instilled in our kids. It's not absurd, that is nothing more than responsible parenting in my opinion.
Basic principle of law abidance, sure. Absolute principle of law abidance, no way.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:35 am

Range wrote:Well, have just joined today, after lurking for a long time & feel the need to vent..............

Welcome to the forum, some times diving into a thread folks don't see a new member. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:43 am

IMO any 'confusion' or questioning that develops in the intervening years can be used as an opportunity to discuss the issues Human raises, using examples suitable for the intellectual capacities of the child. For example, past injustices of practices like slavery are simple enough to present clearly to many children that morality doesn't always align with law.
Yes I am sure most parents sit down and have intellectual discussions with their kids about morality and the law ;)
A child's conception of the law develops as they age, through praxis e.g what has effect and significance to their actions and that of their families and peers.
Sure, so their understanding of the law will be shaped by the actions and their outcomes of those around them. That's what I'm saying. Anyway it's only my opinion. I'm not a child psychologist, just a parent trying to do my best and so far my kids are fairly respectful of laws and rules so I'm happy to continue with that approach.
- Me

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:56 am

There are plenty of entirely unethical people who are very good at obeying laws. I try to let ethics be the ultimate guide to my behavior, not laws. ;) I wouldn't raise my child to put laws about ethical decisions.

Edit: So this is the last post I'll make on this issue. Suffice to say I support the parents originally criticised. I don't support righteousness of road users constantly shaking their heads at the harmless behaviour of others.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Sure if there was a conflict between a law and ethics... but I doubt that is a situation that faces many people in daily life. It's more likely to be the other way around, where something is not technically illegal, but is unethical.

The reason we need laws in the first place is because there are unethical people who need to be kept in check. Then of course we have laws that are 'for our own good', like the one under discussion. I think it is dangerous territory to start questioning laws like that at too early a point in your development.

As I mentioned, my daughter is on a ski trip and had a bad fall yesterday. This is a hard thing for a parent to be a couple of hundred km away when something like that happens. I am glad that she was with a responsible adult who made her wear a helmet. She might have been fine either way but I don't want her making those decisions for herself just yet.
- Me

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Glad your daughter is ok. It wasn't that long ago that helmets were a rare sight on ski fields...

I have a helmet that I wear when skiing at steep resorts, when you are hitting speeds higher than freeway speed limits it is a nice thing to have. ;-) (For all my supposed anti helmet attitudes I own at least 6 different helmets for various sports!)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 pm

My parents taught me to follow the rules. Maybe with the parent riding with their kids it was like my dad's approach - dad's rules.

At age 9 my dad set the rule for riding the bike - "on the footpath". I had a bit of a questioning approach, and I soon learned the real rule - bicycle = vehicle. I went against dad's rule, and rode on the streets.

Sometimes rules are bad and it is time to review them.

More than time to review that MHL rule :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:00 pm

walking the dogs this morning on the footpath - crossing a shared path at a blind intersection. the shared path runs alongside the Upfield rail line and crosses a road, the footpath along which I was walking. as the train boom gates were down, cyclists attempt to 'surf the train' and get a smooth ride past all of the crossings as the boom gates halt traffic. the thing is - you still have to give way to pedestrians matey! one cyclist came flying across my path - no chance of stopping, yelling out something incomprehensible. it was pure luck he had room to squeeze through. he may very well have ploughed into one of my dogs. i would have then faced the dilemma of whether to restrain myself from sinking my fists into him :evil:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm

jules21 wrote: the thing is - you still have to give way to pedestrians matey!
Does he? If the cycling light is green then it brings into question whether he did need to stop and check for cross pedestrian traffic?

I'm not questioning the correctness of your behaviour. Just trying to point out that there is plenty of cycling infrastructure that has conflict DESIGNED into it. Pedestrians also need to be aware of continuing cycling traffic when crossing cycling routes. However who give way to whom is not clear at unsigned intersections. From my understanding of the road rules there is no requirement for cyclists on shared paths to give way to pedestrians who are not on the shared path. Certainly some of those intersections have signage indicating that the pedestrians need look and give way.

This sounds like a case of poor infrastructure and poor signage.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 pm

there was no light, just a road to cross (for the cyclist). even if there was a light, the requirement for cyclists to yield to pedestrians on shared paths is a strict one. if the cyclist wasn't on the shared path, then he was on the footpath! vehicles must also yield to pedestrians when crossing a footpath. any way you look at it, the requirement is 100% on the cyclist.

and yes, it's poor infrastructure as the corner is blind - due to a building blocking any view.
Certainly some of those intersections have signage indicating that the pedestrians need look and give way.
i've not seen one of those?