The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Lukeyboy

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 pm

I find it amusing when you get some wheelsuckers that jump on when youre in the recovery/taking it easy part of the ride only to wait for that bit of road to really ramp up the pace to see if they will still stay there. I've lost count on the amount of times where someone has followed directly in my wheel tracks from Toombul to Hamilton road along Sandgate road only to ramp it up to speeds of 45-60kph and wonder where they disappeared too going over the railway overpass/servos :P

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm

bychosis wrote:Having said that, drafting someone then blasting past just before turning off isn't racing, but racing yourself includes catching and passing everyone possible too :) not just KOMs
Agree completely- KOMs are just the icing on the cake- catching and passing people is pure CCR- which I love. Just not wheelsuckers.

Mind you have had several occasions when up to 8-10 roadies have given each other the nod whilst waiting at the lights at Karrinyup Road on the PSP of an afternoon (sorry Perth NOR reference)- all hell breaks loose once the lights change- pure CCR fun, then it isn't wheelsucking it is agreed upon tactics.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 pm

This cyclist would be pretty dumb... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:40 pm

LANGUAGE WARNING - Cyclist's interaction with a Police Officer in Perth ... didn't go to well for either party ... See the The West for the video.

Andrew

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:LANGUAGE WARNING - Cyclist's interaction with a Police Officer in Perth ... didn't go to well for either party ... See the The West for the video.

Andrew
I saw the video but had no idea it was a cyclist. I was curious as to what he had been fined for and why he had a camera on in the first place. Explains it for me.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:45 pm

AKO wrote:
Aushiker wrote:LANGUAGE WARNING - Cyclist's interaction with a Police Officer in Perth ... didn't go to well for either party ... See the The West for the video.

Andrew
I saw the video but had no idea it was a cyclist. I was curious as to what he had been fined for and why he had a camera on in the first place. Explains it for me.
He was fined for not wearing a helmet, hence why he was a bit annoyed..

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6764953026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:09 pm

The law's the law.

No justification for swearing at the cop.
No justification for the cops reaction.

Another slow news day it seems.

Kev.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:30 pm

RonK wrote:This cyclist would be pretty dumb... :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9292219 ... ook-Strait" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems like he had quite a bit of time to prepare as well.

GPS, radios, flares, and surely he could have found a support vessel that could have stayed with him the entire trip. Wellington to Picton is only about 90k.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
bychosis wrote:Having said that, drafting someone then blasting past just before turning off isn't racing, but racing yourself includes catching and passing everyone possible too :) not just KOMs
Agree completely- KOMs are just the icing on the cake- catching and passing people is pure CCR- which I love. Just not wheelsuckers.

Mind you have had several occasions when up to 8-10 roadies have given each other the nod whilst waiting at the lights at Karrinyup Road on the PSP of an afternoon (sorry Perth NOR reference)- all hell breaks loose once the lights change- pure CCR fun, then it isn't wheelsucking it is agreed upon tactics.
that is a great spot for some CCR, I'm normally shot by the time I reach gribble

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm

bloke riding a cannondale behine Brisbane Grammar School this afternoon, whilst on his mobile phone. Went past "don't do that".
turns out he was looking for lifecycle. I provided directions. phone stopped being used

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Robinho wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Agree completely- KOMs are just the icing on the cake- catching and passing people is pure CCR- which I love. Just not wheelsuckers.
that is a great spot for some CCR, I'm normally shot by the time I reach gribble
That is also the same spot pedestrians pop out from the bottom of downhill path, and I rode past an after-dark incident with cyclist down/ambulance there. I'd like to think daylight is better odds, but a pedestrian popping out in time to see them whether it's light or dark is too late in that time/space equation. Pelotons in CCR are like quantum physics rules don't apply so nothing to see here =D

CXCommuter I've been crashed into the back of and had derailleur tweaked by two roadies wheel sucking me on my e-bike on Telford Crescent by Stirling Civic Gardnes when I had to stop for a Territory at the Tahlia Drive intersection of the PSP. "Gee it brakes well" was one comment, well it's slower top speed and not any better braking than any of my other bikes, I'm just on the brakes ready and looking to first angle past the blind spot, not the back wheel of guy in front =P I ride the road around that intersection now, and have changed my passing versus hang back threshold.

There is one chunky serial wheel sucker with a gym/fitness health club blue portion black backpack I've identified on the regular commute, always entertaining seeing his behaviour, most recent incident I've seen him in he nearly lost his victim at Hutton St. lights heading north and dumped his water mid drink and Darwin-dived in front of a truck to keep hold of his victim on the downhill towards Stirling. There are some characters =D

Yesterday I saw the aftermath of a Fixi guy with no brakes or helmet presumably coming off second best with cars at Leederville Loftus/Farmer Fwy intersection. He looked OK, nice looking bike, the safety hat looked busted though.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I know the issues with CCR and north of Karrinyup Road that pedestrian intersection is dangerous- had a bike roll out there earlier this year- I always give a little extra room here JIC. I am certain I know the guy with the backpack. As to wheelsucking you on your e-bike- they must be bloody quick to keep up with you as I couldn't.

On a separate note I was a dumb cyclist- almost clipstacking as the lights changed as I unclipped on Hepburn/Wanneroo Rd intersection yesterday. Tried to pedal but the unclipped foot slipped and almost fell over onto my clipped in side. Just unclipped in time for a rather ungainly dismount.

CCR action DOES NOT mean dangerous riding, if you cannot ride with people without undertaking darwin award activities give it up. Had one yesterday- the instant sprinter. Rolled past me at ~45km north of Karrinyup (me mid 30's) then died before getting to Erindale Rd underpass.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I wasn't on my e-bike Tuesday morning, but I may have seen the one you mentioned as I've noticed a new e-bike like these on the route, spinning very high cadence, I was on my geared hub commuter Tuesday afternoon and was keeping within eye shot of the bike and similar paced others around Leederville to Karrinyup thanks to the tail wind, but they must have got a light and dropped the CCR flag as I didn't see them after that.

On to the topic, I don't count pedestrians anymore, it's just so predictable... there i've done it, I'm going to find a new way to be surprised this afternoon. I did have some bizarre Friday special entertainment last week similar time...

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:33 pm

eldavo wrote:On to the topic, I don't count pedestrians anymore, it's just so predictable... there i've done it, I'm going to find a new way to be surprised this afternoon. I did have some bizarre Friday special entertainment last week similar time...
Pretty sure this muppet rode past me on his scooter through CityWest last week.

Came from behind so didn't see the face but looks very very similar.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Less dumb and more fun. Last week while out for a 7am-ish ride spotted two ladies wearing pink capes down the hill from me. Then spotted another two, One facing me wearing the typical black Lycra walking gear, but resplendent with frilly underwear on the outside and the pink cape while the other cape wearer photographed her posing outside the catholic school gate. Further down the hill a couple more with capes, but superman inspired colours. And yet later in the ride another two with the superman/girl get up set up in a rotunda with food etc. Must have been some sort of hens breakfast superhero treasure hunt thing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 am

i'm sure i rode past a p*rn shoot in Yarra Bend park once, i didn't go back but i swear she was naked. there was definitely a photographer. hiding in plain sight :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:42 am

If you cross the road with the red man displayed and not bothering to see if anything is coming the other way you're gonna have a bad time when I buzz by! Good thing I changed my mind about turning left when I was going through the Parklands.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:44 am

Hope ya yelled at the klutzes :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Held my line, buzzed past and shook my head at them when they finally looked to their right. I can't recall if they walked back to the footpath as there was a taxi about 20-30m behind me before entering the round about. I'll give peds plenty of space and I'll be courteous to them but if they are doing something blatantly stupid like above then they'll get a buzz from me to wake up everytime. Should get a airzound. That would really wake them up :lol:

Her oh-crap! reaction was pretty good I must admit :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Held my line, buzzed past and shook my head at them when they finally looked to their right. I can't recall if they walked back to the footpath as there was a taxi about 20-30m behind me before entering the round about. I'll give peds plenty of space and I'll be courteous to them but if they are doing something blatantly stupid like above then they'll get a buzz from me to wake up everytime. Should get a airzound. That would really wake them up :lol:

Her oh-crap! reaction was pretty good I must admit :P

I have plenty of probs with that intersection too. Have always been tempted to go the ass-slap

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:56 pm

If its not peds its drivers.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Witnessed a couple of cyclists saying "what is this idiot doing?" as they were following
a driver who was slowing to turn right into a driveway... And the two cyclists decided to pass him on the right as he was indicating right.

I'm not perfect, but I'm fairly sure that's a stupid move. I was tempted to yell out "what are YOU idiots doing?", but I was with my kids at the time.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm

wellington_street wrote:
eldavo wrote:On to the topic, I don't count pedestrians anymore, it's just so predictable... there i've done it, I'm going to find a new way to be surprised this afternoon. I did have some bizarre Friday special entertainment last week similar time...
Pretty sure this muppet rode past me on his scooter through CityWest last week.

Came from behind so didn't see the face but looks very very similar.
There is a regular who rides on his scooter across the PSP freeway bridge at Stirling- been abused on several occasions. Still better than the gene pool drop out this morning riding his scooter across Mirrabooka Avenue on the footpath with no helmet, thongs, wife beater and stubbies.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Man throws bike at police & then tries to run away.

Hey brainiac, next time, & you know there will be a next time, try throwing the housebreaking implements at the cops & riding the bike

smh man throws bike at Sydney cops in attempted getaway
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Some kids sitting along the side of a grassy, leafy cycleway playing around with a cigarette lighter. :!: (trying to light a fire??) They stopped really quickly when they saw me. :roll: Camera had a flat battery so they didn't get captured.

They cleared off after that.