The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

human909

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

herzog wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused. What is your objection here?
Shoaling by the sounds of it.

Must say I'm not a huge fan either.
It sounded more like a cyclist legally overtaking cars on the right hand side while DavidS and others hide between lanes of cars turning left.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Yes, my problem is the shoaling. I see this so often on StKilda Rd, slow cyclists going to the front. Normally it is just inconsiderate, at the corner of Southbank Boulevard and StKilda Rd going North it can be dangerous. Now, he may have taken off fast but he didn't actually go that fast when he was cruising. I mainly included that section as it was an example of selfishness and only caring about his own ride of which we saw a lot more later. More of the beginning of a pattern than something irritating on its own - if he only did this I wouldn't have commented. I would add that it was particularly tight there yesterday, normally the faster bikes would have got past me before we hit a line of cars and no space but yesterday was a bit more crowded. All the other faster bikes had no problem sitting behind me for a couple of hundred metres, and the slower bikes were holding up other people (I'm usually somewhere in the middle). The point mainly was that this was the start of his actions which showed he was completely selfish, didn't care for any other road user and in the process he gives us all a bad name.

Human, most cyclists there (and there are often 10-15 bikes at each set of lights at peak hour) sit in between the 2 lanes turning left and the one going straight ahead. Also there is a left arrow and the vast majority of cars, and a fair few of the bikes, have no idea of the light sequence. It is a very congested piece of road and bikes zooming around to the right of cars makes it more dangerous. And for what? So he can save 10 seconds before we get to Princes Bridge where he decides to deliberately harasses pedestrians? We often criticise cars for doing stupid things to save tiny amounts of time, well this cyclist was doing just that. You may also have noticed that by the time we got to Batman Ave he was behind me again, didn't actually save him any time.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Busy shared paths, what a shocker. Learnt my lession today, avoid them. Nice to cruise along at 5-20 km/hr but anthing more.... not so sure. I had it all today, absent minded peds, children running around, a dog on a loooong leash.....

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 pm

jules21 wrote:if you were the rider who almost hit me head on this morning on the capital city trail near dight's falls, sir, please take a moment to sit back and think about your riding and more specifically, your approach to riding safely. flying around a blind bend so fast that you had to drift onto the wrong side of the path, then desperately locking your rear brakes up with arms and legs flailing about, i must say i was impressed you didn't crash (into me).

now, i dare say you learned your lesson, but the thing is - i've noticed that a lot of riders do exactly the same thing. in fact, the rider ahead of you did. your problem was that i/you arrived at the wrong moment. i knew this day was coming and ring my bell, keep a modest speed, but really - i can't do much when someone flies around at that speed. so for everyone who rides that path, please take it easy around that corner.

And if you visit Brisbane and ride in such a reckless manner and collect me expect that I'll be seeking compensation. Better have the sense to take photo's because if you don't then you'll be paying for the extensive damage to a TDF quality bike :wink:
2012 Oppy A4

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Lazyweek wrote:Busy shared paths, what a shocker. Learnt my lession today, avoid them. Nice to cruise along at 5-20 km/hr but anthing more.... not so sure. I had it all today, absent minded peds, children running around, a dog on a loooong leash.....
That's why I try not to ride on them, most of the time it's safer sharing the road with cars.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Mount barker Linear path. A couple of large peds doing their walk, but so wide they are they take up the entire pathway. You know what i mean they walk with a gap on their left that i cant squeeze thru, a gap between them i cant squeeze thru and a gap on the right i can barely get thru. I choose right, but she is a wobbly walker, and closes that gap! Ok ok, brake to barely faster than a walk, "excuse me" i say, "!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!" she says. No harm done.

Whats up with the 5ish year old girl who saw me and steered her bike directly at me? Oh well, kids r strange, i am prepared for their bizarre behaviour.

Couple walking their dog, i give a warning "hello", from twenty metres back and aim myself to overtake on the right... Surprise surprise, man goes left, woman goes right, dog is centre and gets a hard lead pull to come right. I brake, drop down 5 gears and go between them at 10 kph, Meh whatever.

Im riding slow n steady, safe, straight and predictable, ready and willing to brake always indeed i slow down as a matter of course thats what we should do, thats safe. Glad i hold the attitude that peds are completely stupid and will tend to do whatever is the most dangerous, so am prepared for it.

How about some ped training, walk to the left, walk in a straight line. Yeh i know i know, no laws requiring that, whatever. Dont be responisble for your own safety.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Peacewise wrote: Whats up with the 5ish year old girl who saw me and steered her bike directly at me? Oh well, kids r strange, i am prepared for their bizarre behaviour.
Target fixation. Well known effect.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Thx for the confirmation, i only thought of that much later...
Now i must be cautious of those who do see me as much as those who dont see me. Do that already of course but i am just cracking up lol at it all.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

maestro

Postby maestro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Percrime wrote:
Peacewise wrote: Whats up with the 5ish year old girl who saw me and steered her bike directly at me? Oh well, kids r strange, i am prepared for their bizarre behaviour.
Just spent a few hours earlier today with a 3yo and a 6yo, the 6yo has just stopped using training wheels and is rather wobbly. She shows *exactly* the effect you saw in that she will always head directly for anything that grabs her attention. I spent my whole time trying to encourage her to ride straight, and apologising to all and sundry. Everyone we came across (peds and cyclists) were all very nice about it, most smiled or offered words of encouragement. Some of the more experienced (or maybe more competitive) riders gave us a wide berth by riding on the grass.

We were definitely below average as far as speed and predictability go, but we were far from the worst. Everyone was really nice about it and that went a long way towards us all enjoying the ride.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Yes we overcome target fixation with training. Two wheeled vehicles will always tend to go where the operator looks. Not just two wheeled vehicles but the effect is absolutely stronger with two wheeled vehicles and with aircraft. If you know it happens you can train to avoid/use the effect. Its really obvious when a rider has no real directional control

Training wheels are the spawn of satan. They teach you to lean the wrong way in corners. So as not to dig the wheel in and crash. When you take them away the training is difficult Often involves more crashes. Run bikes are entirely brilliant. Training wheels are entirely not.

Yes someone will point out that their kids learned fine with training wheels. And I learned to drive on a car with a crash first gear. Its all doable.. just not brilliant.

maestro

Postby maestro » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Percrime wrote:Yes we overcome target fixation with training. Two wheeled vehicles will always tend to go where the operator looks. Not just two wheeled vehicles but the effect is absolutely stronger with two wheeled vehicles and with aircraft. If you know it happens you can train to avoid/use the effect. Its really obvious when a rider has no real directional control

Training wheels are the spawn of satan. They teach you to lean the wrong way in corners. So as not to dig the wheel in and crash. When you take them away the training is difficult Often involves more crashes. Run bikes are entirely brilliant. Training wheels are entirely not.

Yes someone will point out that their kids learned fine with training wheels. And I learned to drive on a car with a crash first gear. Its all doable.. just not brilliant.
Yes, there was a thread around here somewhere on teaching kids to ride, one of the suggestions was to take the training wheels and pedals off a bike and let them roll it down the hill to work on the balance. I tried that a few times and now the 6yo can ride (although a bit wobbly). I have tried with the 3yo and it is also promising (although slower due to the maturity).

The training wheels have helped to build up their leg strength so that they are confident pedaling while they work on their balance, I think a combination has worked fairly well for me. At least the kids are enjoying it!

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Yes its all doable. But us trackies like to get the balance right and then work on the leg strength.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:48 am

maestro wrote:
Percrime wrote:
Just spent a few hours earlier today with a 3yo and a 6yo, the 6yo has just stopped using training wheels and is rather wobbly. She shows *exactly* the effect you saw in that she will always head directly for anything that grabs her attention. I spent my whole time trying to encourage her to ride straight, and apologising to all and sundry. Everyone we came across (peds and cyclists) were all very nice about it, most smiled or offered words of encouragement. Some of the more experienced (or maybe more competitive) riders gave us a wide berth by riding on the grass.

We were definitely below average as far as speed and predictability go, but we were far from the worst. Everyone was really nice about it and that went a long way towards us all enjoying the ride.
I do the same when I see young kids out on the bike. I give them a wide berth by going on the grass if I can, and if they have an off, I stop and ask if they are okay, lots of encouragement and off I go. Eventually the young kids will hopefully be the commuter cyclists of tomorrow and any encouragement is a good thing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Not sure how these fit in, you be the judge...

Backstreet near the Haymarket roundabout Sunday arvo, bloke on a polo bike hammering away at about a 160 cadence and going nowhere fast. I'm guessing his streeter was OOS 'cos he had a very new looking wheel hanging off his back. The bit that maybe fitted hiom into the thread was the salmoning...

Dudley St, not far from Vic Market. We spy one of them jellybeanish Ficksehs trundling along. The bullhorns had been reversed so that the extensions were pointing toward the rider. :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Dudley St, not far from Vic Market. We spy one of them jellybeanish Ficksehs trundling along. The bullhorns had been reversed so that the extensions were pointing toward the rider. :?
maybe he just had the handlebars turned around - possible if no front brake fitted? :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Oh far out!!! :evil: Three lots this afternoon with dogs, one couple with two dogs, NONE of them on a leash!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

For one of them I had to swerve off onto the grass and then nearly went over trying to get back on the pavement again thanks to that person and the dog that decided to run at me. :roll:

Absolutely dangerous! :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm

jules21 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Dudley St, not far from Vic Market. We spy one of them jellybeanish Ficksehs trundling along. The bullhorns had been reversed so that the extensions were pointing toward the rider. :?
maybe he just had the handlebars turned around - possible if no front brake fitted? :D
You going hipstah on us Jules? :P

Nup, he wasn't mid barspin, the stem was in the right place and he had a TT type brake lever on the RHS.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:For one of them I had to swerve off onto the grass and then nearly went over trying to get back on the pavement again thanks to that person and the dog that decided to run at me. :roll:
my strategy is now to swerve at the owner, when they are picking themselves up off the ground after leaping out of the way you can ask them "did you see that dog?!" :mrgreen:
Mulger bill wrote:You going hipstah on us Jules? :P
i could wear skinny jeans Shaun but you wouldn't want to see me in them, i promise

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Dumb cyclist today...me, heading out with a light that wasn't charged properly and died 1/4 of the way into my ride at 5am :oops:
Lisa

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:18 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:For one of them I had to swerve off onto the grass and then nearly went over trying to get back on the pavement again thanks to that person and the dog that decided to run at me. :roll:
my strategy is now to swerve at the owner, when they are picking themselves up off the ground after leaping out of the way you can ask them "did you see that dog?!" :mrgreen:
Next time I'll get off the bike and walk past them.

I note that the Canal reserve is not a off-leash dog area:
http://www.holroyd.nsw.gov.au/environme ... uestions/7

marinmomma: Ouch!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm

marinmomma wrote:Dumb cyclist today...me, heading out with a light that wasn't charged properly and died 1/4 of the way into my ride at 5am :oops:
You need a dynamo setup :wink:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Lazyweek wrote:Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.
Did you die?

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 pm

human909 wrote:
Lazyweek wrote:Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.
Did you die?
Still alive and well thanks :) No point having a helment on your head if it's not strapped on though. Don't feel comfortable with the idea of going 50 km/hr in traffic with no helmet. Cruising on quiet backstreets are another matter.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 pm

human909 wrote:
Did you die?

:lol:
2012 Oppy A4