The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

zero

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby zero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Horizontal c wrote:
What? Please explain
How ironic it is, that a troll is attempting to inject himself into a conversation regarding footage shot under a bridge. Also I find it rather ironic that a troll here for the purposes of self-amusement, cannot detect a tongue in cheek statement.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:08 pm

zero wrote: Not having a go at you, but that rider was avoiding the patch at the apex. He is largely upright and not travelling that fast.
that's OK - i'm not sensitive. but the video does not allow an accurate perception of his speed - i distinctly recall it being faster than it looks. he may have slowed down a bit once he straightened up. if you look at it carefully, he is cranked over as he comes through the bend - he can only pull back into his lane after he straightens up. it is sheer luck as to where he encounters the oncoming rider (me) as it is a blind corner. what he did is very dangerous.
zero wrote: Given the relative speeds of both riders, had you been arriving at the apex when he was, he would have seen you in sufficient time and not taken the course he did.

I can see that riders could enter that area too fast, but that rider isn't doing it.
i have to disagree there. he was doing at least 30 km/h - again, i was surprised at how sedate it looked after viewing the video. i also come from the other direction in the evening and know that you commit yourself to a line through the corner. he can't tighten up at that speed. it is also essentially a blind corner and you can't see what's coming around. there is genuine prospect of a head on collision there, and as per my earlier post (quoted above) another guy who executed a similar movement to this fellow got all crossed up on the brakes and so very nearly crashed - he certainly wasn't able to safely tighten his line. my concern is that it's only a matter of time before this scenario plays out with me closer to the elbow bend and with less time for the oncoming rider to react - i'm certain it will result in a crash.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Must say it looks pretty benign in the video.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:13 pm

jules21 wrote:
zero wrote: Not having a go at you, but that rider was avoiding the patch at the apex. He is largely upright and not travelling that fast.
that's OK - i'm not sensitive. but the video does not allow an accurate perception of his speed - i distinctly recall it being faster than it looks. he may have slowed down a bit once he straightened up. if you look at it carefully, he is cranked over as he comes through the bend - he can only pull back into his lane after he straightens up. it is sheer luck as to where he encounters the oncoming rider (me) as it is a blind corner. what he did is very dangerous.
zero wrote: Given the relative speeds of both riders, had you been arriving at the apex when he was, he would have seen you in sufficient time and not taken the course he did.

I can see that riders could enter that area too fast, but that rider isn't doing it.
i have to disagree there. he was doing at least 30 km/h - again, i was surprised at how sedate it looked after viewing the video. i also come from the other direction in the evening and know that you commit yourself to a line through the corner. he can't tighten up at that speed. it is also essentially a blind corner and you can't see what's coming around. there is genuine prospect of a head on collision there, and as per my earlier post (quoted above) another guy who executed a similar movement to this fellow got all crossed up on the brakes and so very nearly crashed - he certainly wasn't able to safely tighten his line. my concern is that it's only a matter of time before this scenario plays out with me closer to the elbow bend and with less time for the oncoming rider to react - i'm certain it will result in a crash.
You should know by now Jules that people who were not involved in an incident always have more knowledge of it than those who were there.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:15 pm

blkmcs wrote:You should know by now Jules that people who were not involved in an incident always have more knowledge of it than those who were there.
i actually agree the video looks benign, but i can assure it's not in reality. i clench my butt cheeks approaching that corner now!

Horizontal c

Postby Horizontal c » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
Horizontal c wrote:
zero wrote:The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)
What? Please explain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance
So you use that to hurt other road users?

zero

Postby zero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

blkmcs wrote:
jules21 wrote: i have to disagree there. he was doing at least 30 km/h - again, i was surprised at how sedate it looked after viewing the video. i also come from the other direction in the evening and know that you commit yourself to a line through the corner. he can't tighten up at that speed. it is also essentially a blind corner and you can't see what's coming around. there is genuine prospect of a head on collision there, and as per my earlier post (quoted above) another guy who executed a similar movement to this fellow got all crossed up on the brakes and so very nearly crashed - he certainly wasn't able to safely tighten his line. my concern is that it's only a matter of time before this scenario plays out with me closer to the elbow bend and with less time for the oncoming rider to react - i'm certain it will result in a crash.
You should know by now Jules that people who were not involved in an incident always have more knowledge of it than those who were there.
Its a discussion. I'm happy to accept Jules's advice that the focal length of the lens is reducing apparent speed - have not bothered to stick vids up that seemed dangerous at the time because they looked benign when I was using a similar lens. It also true that people work harder on holding lines when they see opposing traffic.

This location https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=anzac ... ridge&z=20 - has a similar example of a view restricted corner, where I routinely see cycles cross center line as I climb towards it, (as my journey often takes me against prevailing peak hour traffic flow I would see it most trips as there now ~400 cycles/hr through that area). Despite the fact that I always see one off line as I approach, and there are many adhoc fast descending drafting packs of an evening, none have struck me as I go through in the opposite direction.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 pm

zero wrote:
Horizontal c wrote:
What? Please explain
How ironic it is, that a troll is attempting to inject himself into a conversation regarding footage shot under a bridge. Also I find it rather ironic that a troll here for the purposes of self-amusement, cannot detect a tongue in cheek statement.
Please don't feed the trolls, if he/she/it is a troll. If not, probably not necessary to comment. Kind of thing?

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 am

London Boy wrote:
zero wrote:
Horizontal c wrote:
What? Please explain
Please don't feed the trolls, if he/she/it is a troll. If not, probably not necessary to comment. Kind of thing?
+1 seriously guys, don't bite.
Happy Days

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:44 pm

This pathway must be for pedistrian access. If it was for cyclists only I'm sure they would put signs up and painted signs on the ground displaying this fact to the public.... :roll: :roll: (IIRC all the times I've had to use that path there has always been some numpty walking along it grr).

Certainly was a day for incidents outside the RBWH. I was waiting at the first inbound pedestrian crossing on Gympie Road. A woman decided to cross the road against the red man. She got about a quarter of the way across and I notice the lights change to Green and cars making the right hand turn. She almost got half way and kept walking not even looking to see if any traffic was coming through. Just as I was about to yell at her to stop she looks up and sees the oncoming traffic; stops, and steps up onto the traffic island.

Got to the 3rd intersection outside the hospital (which is literally a couple hundred metres up the road) only to stop at the lights. As I was waiting for the lightcycle to finish I saw the lights changing so I clipped in ready to go only to hear someone reving their engine. The okay to walk buzzer goes off and just as I look to my right to see who was reving their engine a 4WD came flying through the intersection before heavily breaking to stop in the middle of the intersection where traffic that had already ran the red light had back up. There are some serious fkn idiots out there that don't deserve to have a driving lisense.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:This pathway must be for pedistrian access. If it was for cyclists only I'm sure they would put signs up and painted signs on the ground displaying this fact to the public.... :roll: :roll: (IIRC all the times I've had to use that path there has always been some numpty walking along it grr).
That path really really frustrates me, and it sucks even more across the road after the path as they walk along the bike path instead of the foot path. So I turn right down Dock St and left onto Stanley St just to avoid it.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 am

tubby74 wrote:Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.
I wonder what happened to put him in a wheelchair, maybe not looking when crossing the road?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:30 am

tubby74 wrote:Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.
They should be forced to register those things ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

BLABBER

Postby BLABBER » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:31 am

What's a bike/pedestrian signal ?

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:24 am

Places like where a shared path crosses a road, they usually dont just have a ped light..they have a little bicycle light as well. So you can cross the ped crossing riding the bike legally.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 am

Percrime wrote:Places like where a shared path crosses a road, they usually dont just have a ped light..they have a little bicycle light as well. So you can cross the ped crossing riding the bike legally.
There's even a road safety rule that covers it: rule #248(2).

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am

Dumb Cyclist - Perth, intersection of Fitzgerald and Aberdeen this morning

Heading south bound and DC crosses red light and nearly gets cleaned up by the car in front of me, stupid move mate.

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am

Lukeyboy wrote:This pathway must be for pedistrian access. If it was for cyclists only I'm sure they would put signs up and painted signs on the ground displaying this fact to the public.... :roll: :roll: (IIRC all the times I've had to use that path there has always been some numpty walking along it grr).

This might just be the old perv in me, but although it is a pretty distant shot - the one on the right of the group of peds looks like a rather enjoyable place to land. if only all idiot peds, cyclists and drivers were at least a 9.5/10 on the "Miranda Kerr lookalike" scale, then I might not get so frustrated when they do idiot things.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Especially dumb pedestrian - or, young mother I'd guess. :shock: :evil:

I'm riding along the shared path, and up ahead I see a mother sitting on the right lane of the path, picnic blanket, bags and stroller beside her, and off to the left off the path on the grass is her little baby crawling along. :shock: :shock: :shock: She's leaning over towards the little one in her baby induced dream world of serenity and peace.

On the level of stupidity scale, that ranks a 30 out of 10! I slowed down to about probably 5km/h and the mother moved her things over just a little bit and I rolled through ever so slowly.

Looking back, I should have stopped and told her off. People coming the other way with bright sun in their eyes would have had a more difficult time seeing the young baby. By the time I went back the other way, she was strapping the little baby into the stroller, which was parked right across the left lane of the path. :shock:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:38 pm

If she was having a picnic on the shared path I certainly would of had a few words to her about the dangers of that.

I was doing 50kph down the road today only to see someone on a skate board jump into the bike lane and started skating towards me. It's the third time I've come across someone on a skateboard/razor scooter that has decided to do that in the exact same 50m area of road in the past week :roll: :roll:

Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Crazy - and a very clear image of the person too! What camera is that?

On the baby incident, I just was shocked at how the young mum could do something so dangerous. But from the look on her face with the dreamy smile and eyes only for her little one, she was clearly in another world. :roll: I don't think I'll come across anything more eye-opening than that.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:36 pm

GoPro Hero2 with a K-Edge pro handelbar mount.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 am

Lukeyboy wrote:If she was having a picnic on the shared path I certainly would of had a few words to her about the dangers of that.

I was doing 50kph down the road today only to see someone on a skate board jump into the bike lane and started skating towards me. It's the third time I've come across someone on a skateboard/razor scooter that has decided to do that in the exact same 50m area of road in the past week :roll: :roll:

M seeing that more and more often, worst case was mid last year, rush hour traffic coming out of the city on St Kilda road bike lane :shock:
Happy Days

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 am

A bloke about 60 who I've passed about a dozen times on a shared path on my ride to the train station in the mornings over the last 12 months. We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area. I have always ignored him and not even given him eye contact. This morning he's waving his arm at me and said 'slow down or next time you'll cop it in the head'. I yelled back 'don't you threaten me'.

I'll make sure I've got the camera on in that section from now on.