The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

human909

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:12 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Maybe some councils over-use them. But if there's any place for them, it's at the entrance/exit of a major public event, which is the case I was talking about. It's just a bad look (and potentially dangerous) for cyclists to cycle across an entrance/exit used by many people, with a large proportion of small children; when it literally costs 10 seconds to get off and walk, and the event only runs for 1 week of the year.
I do see your point in this situation. However it is a bit of boy who cried wolf with these signs.

Not in Australia but I thought I'd post it here for the lols.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 pm

human909 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Maybe some councils over-use them. But if there's any place for them, it's at the entrance/exit of a major public event, which is the case I was talking about. It's just a bad look (and potentially dangerous) for cyclists to cycle across an entrance/exit used by many people, with a large proportion of small children; when it literally costs 10 seconds to get off and walk, and the event only runs for 1 week of the year.
I do see your point in this situation. However it is a bit of boy who cried wolf with these signs.
Yeah that's crazy. I could tolerate one sign if it was, say, the main pedestrian entrance to a school with small children, but that looks like vacant land. For anyone else interested, it was in the UK and here's a little page about it: https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/11500/

pj

Postby pj » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:36 am

Lots of trucks out on the roads these days, stay safe and be careful when filtering through moving traffic.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 am

pj wrote:Lots of trucks out on the roads these days, stay safe and be careful when filtering through moving traffic.

that is soooo scary. There needs to be more awareness amongst the general community as to what truck drivers can and can't see.

pj

Postby pj » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 am

duncanm wrote:
pj wrote:Lots of trucks out on the roads these days, stay safe and be careful when filtering through moving traffic.

that is soooo scary. There needs to be more awareness amongst the general community as to what truck drivers can and can't see.
Totally agree, would be a good campaign to have some photos taken from inside a truck cab to give people a better understanding.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am

Brave

Doesn't help that WestConnex chopped off the end of the separated bike way and didn't provide an alternative. Having said that there's a solution to this mess in the WestConnex plan, as long as it doesn't get cancelled like other Sydney bike initiatives
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:16 am

Scary! And all to save a couple of seconds. Probably also illegal, because the right lane was right turn only.
mikesbytes wrote: Doesn't help that WestConnex chopped off the end of the separated bike way and didn't provide an alternative
True, but both pj (or whoever was filming) and the guy in the orange helmet managed safely by just claiming the left lane.

pj

Postby pj » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 am

mikesbytes wrote:Having said that there's a solution to this mess in the WestConnex plan, as long as it doesn't get cancelled like other Sydney bike initiatives
Interesting, wasn't aware of that, are they going to fix up this intersection?
AdelaidePeter wrote:pj wrote:
Lots of trucks out on the roads these days, stay safe and be careful when filtering through moving traffic.

Scary! And all to save a couple of seconds. Probably also illegal, because the right lane was right turn only.

mikesbytes wrote:
Doesn't help that WestConnex chopped off the end of the separated bike way and didn't provide an alternative

True, but both pj (or whoever was filming) and the guy in the orange helmet managed safely by just claiming the left lane.
Exactly, not worth the risk!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm

pj wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Having said that there's a solution to this mess in the WestConnex plan, as long as it doesn't get cancelled like other Sydney bike initiatives
Interesting, wasn't aware of that, are they going to fix up this intersection?
Original plan has the bike path going past Mascot train station. I haven't looked to see if that's still the current plan
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:05 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Initially I thought the driver was just squeezing out the pesky cyclist, but I wonder if the cyclist thought the truck would give some space and didn’t realise the driver probably didn’t even see.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 am

bychosis wrote:.. t I wonder if the cyclist thought the truck would give some space and didn’t realise the driver probably didn’t even see.
exactly -- If it went pear shaped for whatever reason, it'd be one of those 'we had to stop the driver down the road, because he didn't even know he'd run over the cyclist' incidents. No fault of the driver.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Fortunately the cops some how managed to apprehend this speeding thief. Three cheers, The article doesn't say what type of bicycle the cops were on. I am not making light of this mad chase, but the cyclist also had no light. Making him almost impossible to see due to the speed and failing light.

https://www.southcoastregister.com.au/s ... se/?cs=203
September 10 2018 - 2:27PM
Nowra police led on ‘furious’ pushbike chase
Court papers said police were patrolling Kalandar Street, Nowra around 12.15am on December 5 last year wanting to speak with Berkovic when they spotted him on an orange Trek mountain bike.
Police said he “sped up dramatically” as he headed east trying to get away.
He “sped up dramatically” - “increased speed” and was “pedalling hard”.

South Coast Police
Berkovic allegedly “increased speed” and was “pedalling hard” as he crossed a nature strip and travelled down Warramunga Street on the incorrect side of the road, without lights.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Possibly the most stupid thing I have seen on a bike tonight.
Dude wearing black on a dark bike with no lights or reflectors riding (struggling) up a 6% long sweeping blind left hand bend on Maroondah Hwy Croydon. 3 lane 80km/h road in the pitch black. Due to a steep cliff making it blind and busy high speed road I hate riding up it in broad daylight with lights! God knows what this guy was thinking.

I luckily had already made a move from the left lane into the middle a split second before this moron caught my eye. The road was open as I came home so assume this idiot made it up eventually.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am

Saw a rider carrying a kid (about 3yo?) sitting on his rear rack, holding on for dear life.

Rider probably thinks its normal as it might be common place in his home country, but man oh man.

Luckily on the path and not the roads, but still!

redned

Postby redned » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:18 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Rider probably thinks its normal as it might be common place in his home country, but man oh man.
Mandurah?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm

redned wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:Rider probably thinks its normal as it might be common place in his home country, but man oh man.
Mandurah?
Nah this was in Perth, rider was of Asian ethnicity.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Tonight it was me.

Riding along a shared path, there was a couple up ahead, with the man in the middle of the path. I rang my bell (not as loudly as I could have), but the man didn't move left, so presumably didn't hear it. So I went as far right as I could and rode past anyway at the speed I was going (which wasn't real fast, but still way faster than any pedestrian), maybe 1/2 a metre from him. He said something about I should use my bell. I called back that I had.

But in retrospect, whether I used my bell was irrelevant; all that matters is whether he heard it. When he didn't move, I should have slowed down and passed more carefully.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:Tonight it was me.

Riding along a shared path, there was a couple up ahead, with the man in the middle of the path. I rang my bell (not as loudly as I could have), but the man didn't move left, so presumably didn't hear it. So I went as far right as I could and rode past anyway at the speed I was going (which wasn't real fast, but still way faster than any pedestrian), maybe 1/2 a metre from him. He said something about I should use my bell. I called back that I had.

But in retrospect, whether I used my bell was irrelevant; all that matters is whether he heard it. When he didn't move, I should have slowed down and passed more carefully.
Nope. Better off using your voice. A lot of people can't hear high frequencies. Not your fault. Blame the stupid rule

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:56 am

jasonc wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Tonight it was me.

Nope. Better off using your voice. A lot of people can't hear high frequencies. Not your fault. Blame the stupid rule
I feel like my bell sounds a lot friendlier than my voice, and it nearly always does the job. I just need to remember to slow down on the occasions it doesn't.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:09 pm

For the guy riding down Amherst St yesterday afternoon, at least do a head check and then try sticking your arm out when turning right instead of just listening (apparently) for cars before turning from the LHS to the side street opposite. If it had been two seconds later and in line with your back wheel to pass across the lines (i.e. what people are meant to do) there would have been a large issue.

To be fair, he is probably the kind of person who gets in a car and forgets about the world outside as well.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Many years ago I instructed at the trial of a negligence claim brought by a young man who did precisely this on Footscray Road, and lost his right leg at the hip in consequence.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 pm

I often think many posts in this thread are far too harsh on cyclists for minor silliness. The above video does not fall into that category. :shock: :shock:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am

Traffic was banked up through an intersection as I rode down Peel St this morning so old mate pedestrian decided to cross the road...right in front of me. With a fist full of brakes and vocal warnings I somehow managed to miss him.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:43 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote: I feel like my bell sounds a lot friendlier than my voice, and it nearly always does the job. I just need to remember to slow down on the occasions it doesn't.
for a long time I used a kids hooter type horn on my commuter. It always got attention on the CBD bike paths when people would cross against the lights, and usually got people smiling. Much more effective than a bell

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 pm

tubby74 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote: I feel like my bell sounds a lot friendlier than my voice, and it nearly always does the job. I just need to remember to slow down on the occasions it doesn't.
for a long time I used a kids hooter type horn on my commuter. It always got attention on the CBD bike paths when people would cross against the lights, and usually got people smiling. Much more effective than a bell
Hi Tubby,
That is all that came with my bike, a squeeze ball that makes a sound like a duck. You know it gets the peds attention though, as my wife's bell seemed to annoy the good folk that wonder.

Most give a smile and a nod, but the unforgiving continue to scowl.
Once came on two joggers one on each side of the path. Upon the hooter sound the bloke on the right said "look out duck coming through."
I replied "yep the eagles ought to keep to the left." as I quickly increased speed...... :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers