The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Jash Rider wrote:Thumbs down to the Dominos Pizza team riders this morning at about 6:35am on the Ted Smout bridge. When you are approached by cyclists in the opposite direction it is common courtesy to form a single file so other riders may pass safely, without having to cross onto the 'Pedestrian only' path (upon which there was a pedestrian).
If they don't single up and play nice, I stop. Right where I am on my part of the path. Let them reorganise around me.
Last time I pointed this out on this site, I was called a bad man. If choosing to NOT be a doormat makes me bad then I'm happy to wear the tag
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Jash Rider wrote:Thumbs down to the Dominos Pizza team riders this morning at about 6:35am on the Ted Smout bridge. When you are approached by cyclists in the opposite direction it is common courtesy to form a single file so other riders may pass safely, without having to cross onto the 'Pedestrian only' path (upon which there was a pedestrian).
If they don't single up and play nice, I stop. Right where I am on my part of the path. Let them reorganise around me.
Last time I pointed this out on this site, I was called a bad man. If choosing to NOT be a doormat makes me bad then I'm happy to wear the tag

I make them move also. I sit up to make myself look bigger too :mrgreen:

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:21 pm

The Shadow wrote:
Pfft! No one does that anymore. :roll: And it's only further encouraged by councils and state dept of transport refusing to paint centre lines on various major bicycle-only paths they have built and are responsible for maintaining.

Try phoning to speak to them about it and see how far you get. Even when you point out to them that their newest, most expensive, busiest cycle paths would be chaos without a centreline painted on...they don't see that other paths would benefit from a simple painted line down the middle.
In that case you appear to be suggesting that cyclists actually are worse the motorists who seem to be very capable of driving their cars on the left of all the roads with no centreline and don't drive side by side expecting oncoming motorists to 'swerve' onto the footpath.

Why do shared paths or bike paths need a centreline to tell cyclists what the law already requires (irrespective of a line) while most local roads don't need a centreline because motorists get it.

Place the blame where it lies, with the few cyclists that ride badly, and not with the infrastructure (or councils).

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:19 pm

citywomble wrote:The Shadow wrote:
Pfft! No one does that anymore. :roll: And it's only further encouraged by councils and state dept of transport refusing to paint centre lines on various major bicycle-only paths they have built and are responsible for maintaining.

Try phoning to speak to them about it and see how far you get. Even when you point out to them that their newest, most expensive, busiest cycle paths would be chaos without a centreline painted on...they don't see that other paths would benefit from a simple painted line down the middle.
In that case you appear to be suggesting that cyclists actually are worse the motorists who seem to be very capable of driving their cars on the left of all the roads with no centreline and don't drive side by side expecting oncoming motorists to 'swerve' onto the footpath.

Why do shared paths or bike paths need a centreline to tell cyclists what the law already requires (irrespective of a line) while most local roads don't need a centreline because motorists get it.

Place the blame where it lies, with the few cyclists that ride badly, and not with the infrastructure (or councils).
I'd say most of the offending cyclists have a driver's license and a car, and that without a centre line on the road they would be all over that too like Brown's Cows. I don't know where you live, but motorists in Brisbane would not get it without a painted centre line. In fact I think that is the problem...there is NO road in Brisbane without a centre line, and so when they get on a cycle path with no markings some of them are lost or go a little nuts and don't know what to do without the painted line. :P

I've lived in a rural area years ago with lots of single lane tar with no line markings, and everyone routinely puts a wheel in the dirt to pass an oncoming vehicle. But that was a different place and a different era. I would not count on current S-E Qld drivers to show that same level of courtesy to each other if there were no lane markings. Qld Tpt even puts up huge signs on recently completed road resurfacing warning that line marking has not yet been redone, so they seem to think it's a significant safety issue. It's like a lot of our road infrastructure and road rules; they exist because a few thoughtless people have to have safety spelled out for them and be protected from themselves.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:21 pm

A bit of a rant but quite annoyed;

Went on my first ride since February so was excited. Went down beach road and for the most part was non eventful, really enjoyed myself.

On the way back I was riding on the pedestrian/cyclist path.

First up, I am approaching a blind corner and just before I turned the corner I saw two cyclists side-by-side on a path that is one way up and one way down. I yelled out in shock (almost collided) and I got a pretty lame "sorry" in return. I don't know how stupid you have to be to ride ON THE WRONG SIDE OF A PATH on such a busy stretch of path. If you are a member here please have some consideration for anyone other than yourself !!

Secondly, in similar idiotic fashion, around 2 minutes down the road I 3 cyclists pulled up taking up the whole path. One seemed to have a puncture and the other two standing around taking up the whole path so no one (cyclists and pedestrians) could get through. I signalled on approach with my hand that I was going through however one of the riders was just looking at me like stunned mullet. I ended up having to come to a stop and abruptly told the bloke looking at me if he could get out of the way, which he did.

Common sense really isnt that common...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:36 pm

citywomble wrote: Place the blame where it lies, with the few cyclists that ride badly, and not with the infrastructure (or councils).
You are being too generous to our own methinks. In my not inconsequential experience that "few" is, in fact, far more than a few.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Dumb cyclist hit an elderly lady in Perth last Friday

The family of a 92-year-old woman hit by a cyclist as she crossed the road in Perth say she’s lucky to be alive.

Halina Lichocik was returning home from food shopping on Friday when she stepped out on Scarborough Beach Road in Mount Hawthorn.

CCTV captured the shocking accident, with the cyclist sending the elderly woman flying.

Ms Lichocik’s daughter Rosalie Cowland says her mother was thrown “like a ragdoll”.

“She’s very lucky. ‘Cause had it been a car… oh my God,” she said.

The footage shows the rider seemingly oblivious to Ms Lichocik, riding with his hands off the handlebars moments before the impact.

More in https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32085351/cy ... erth/#stop

:shock: :(
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Dumb cyclist hit an elderly lady in Perth last Friday

The family of a 92-year-old woman hit by a cyclist as she crossed the road in Perth say she’s lucky to be alive.

Halina Lichocik was returning home from food shopping on Friday when she stepped out on Scarborough Beach Road in Mount Hawthorn.

CCTV captured the shocking accident, with the cyclist sending the elderly woman flying.

Ms Lichocik’s daughter Rosalie Cowland says her mother was thrown “like a ragdoll”.

The footage shows the rider seemingly oblivious to Ms Lichocik, riding with his hands off the handlebars moments before the impact.

That's why you shouldn't ride with no hands on the bars in built up areas.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 pm

biker jk wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Dumb cyclist hit an elderly lady in Perth last Friday

That's why you shouldn't ride with no hands on the bars in built up areas.
texting ??

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:22 pm

jimh wrote:texting ??
That's my thought and he should go a row for it
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:39 pm

jimh wrote:texting ??
Or catching pokemon ??

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Looks like he got one then. The pokegran?

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:04 pm

At the risk of being a bit of a d!ck, we all rightly fulminate and call foul when one of our number is injured by a careless motorist. I believe it's inconsistent (and inappropriate) to make light of the injuries caused by a careless cyclist.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 am

BianchiCam wrote:Looks like he got one then. The pokegran?
I think he did more than poke her :(

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 am

To be fair they both weren't looking and the pedestrian failed to give way.

(Though I would argue that the obligations of duty of care should be motorist>cyclist>pedestrian. Yet it would seem doesn't play out in our courts or our media.)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:28 pm

What the heck is wrong with people who cannot keep their dogs on a leash in areas where it is clearly sign-posted that dogs must be on a leash?

I only just narrowly avoided one which decided to go running towards me. Only good brakes and the fact I was doing 20km/h saved the poor animal from the idiocy of its stupid owners. Even worse, this was on a roadway where the dog could have been run down and killed by a car.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 am

spot the problem

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am

Rear light on the front of the bike? :?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 am

jasonc wrote:spot the problem

The cyclist is riding his bike backwards without looking where he is going :wink:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:19 pm

both answers are suitable. either way, said cyclist belongs in this thread.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:01 pm

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:spot the problem

The cyclist is riding his bike backwards without looking where he is going :wink:
Plus they're on the wrong side of the path while doing so. :lol:

adktz

Postby adktz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:34 pm

I guess it's pretty common, but riding the other night I almost hit a Foodora delivery rider with no lights wearing all black.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:11 pm

jasonc wrote:both answers are suitable. either way, said cyclist belongs in this thread.
TBH I don't see this as a big issue considering the time of day. If the guy wants to make himself a bit more visible in the late afternoon (or early morning) then good luck to him. It's obviously not suitable for night time riding though.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:42 pm

uart wrote:
jasonc wrote:both answers are suitable. either way, said cyclist belongs in this thread.
TBH I don't see this as a big issue considering the time of day. If the guy wants to make himself a bit more visible in the late afternoon (or early morning) then good luck to him. It's obviously not suitable for night time riding though.
The direction says he was coming home from coottha or a riverloop. It was less than 20 minutes after sunrise. I stand by him being in this thread

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 pm

I experienced the opposite of the red light on the front last night - flashing white light on the back, nothing on the front. Riding along Willoughby Rd at peak hour too...I wonder if he made it home safely.

The mind boggles.