The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

warthog1

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:53 pm

biker jk wrote:191925632

Was that through a red light straight up the road the wrong way?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:02 pm

warthog1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:191925632

Was that through a red light straight up the road the wrong way?
He went through a "Don't Walk" signal to cross the road (so traffic left and right had a green light) then proceeded up the road (between the two trucks) the wrong way. He was wearing a bright jacket though. :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:06 pm

That's up there. Just when you think you've seen all the types of stupid there are, someone invents another :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Just watched a cyclist be forced to stop in the middle of an intersection because pedestrians were jaywalking like idiots. Cyclist had a green light straight through. Pedestrians had a red light. Didn't stop them from streaming across the crossing, even when the cyclist came to a stop inches away from them.

I bet he wishes he had an air horn.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:45 pm

MisuVir wrote:Just watched a cyclist be forced to stop in the middle of an intersection because pedestrians were jaywalking like idiots. Cyclist had a green light straight through. Pedestrians had a red light. Didn't stop them from streaming across the crossing, even when the cyclist came to a stop inches away from them.

I bet he wishes he had an air horn.
Regular occurence in Melbs CBD. It seems that you stopping on the green for them just encourages more to step out.
I go with one of these...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:12 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm

If the bike was still there, maybe its the thieves who weren't so bright, or were they just discerning :)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:08 pm

4 years ago, there was 4 people who rode together and locked up their bikes around the seat posts and wasn`t thru the bike parking hoops at the shopping centre. If it was in CBD, then it will be gone in a matter of seconds without the hard work.

I came back after 45mins shopping and it was still there when I rode off in my bike.

Think of doing the musical bikes. :) But I didn`t do it.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Ross wrote:Image
I lent a bike to a friend who lost his licence, and found it chained up like that :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:31 am

encountered completely bat poo crazy pedestrian family on my commute this morning. all 3 of them broke out into profanities and hysterical shouting as I rolled past on the Capital City Trail. I had to turn around and find out what was the problem, although deep down I knew :)

"you almost killed us!" "my grandmother is 70 yrs old!" "my dog could have walked out in front of you!" that's without all the swearing. the anger spontaneously erupted in all 3 of them, as if I'd just done something completely outrageous and I was the only one who was not seeing it.

I'm attracted to these confrontations like a bug to the light. then while I was trying to understand their concerns, another cyclist came rolling past on the busy path, oblivious to the danger that awaited them. cue the same spontaneous eruption of swearing and ranting - except this rider just kept going.

I asked them if they were going to stay here and scream at every cyclist who rode past, but they didn't like that. absolutely nuts :)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am

There is about 100 metres of my commute where I am on a share path. Its a narrow path and you can barely fit a cyclist plus a pedestrian. About 2-3 mornings, there is the same walker and he always tells me off for riding on the foot path.

Originally I thought that it was just a foot path (and prefer to ride this section for safety), but checking on googlemaps, its marked as a share path. Ive told him this a couple of times, but still he yells at me every time I see him, telling me I shouldn't be riding there.

I think I need to print off a few copies of the map and hand it to him next time.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:29 pm

tez001 wrote:
Originally I thought that it was just a foot path (and prefer to ride this section for safety), but checking on googlemaps, its marked as a share path. Ive told him this a couple of times, but still he yells at me every time I see him, telling me I shouldn't be riding there.

I think I need to print off a few copies of the map and hand it to him next time.
I wouldn't use Google maps as evidence. If it's not signed it is likely only a footpath.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:54 pm

BenGr wrote:I wouldn't use Google maps as evidence. If it's not signed it is likely only a footpath.
True regarding google as evidence. But there are countless examples of shared paths which are not signed appropriately. (Shared paths as in part of a continuous network, council demarcation, occasional but insufficient signage.)

Not that I'm blaming lack of signage, as the rules are absurd if you choose to be pedantic about them. Here is an example of a 4m long shared footpath! It would seem the signage though allows for ~15m of travel because it was more convenient to attach the signs to existing poles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:10 pm

jules21 wrote:encountered completely bat poo crazy pedestrian family on my commute this morning. all 3 of them broke out into profanities and hysterical shouting as I rolled past on the Capital City Trail.
On the CCT? They're not used to cyclists? :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 pm

human909 wrote:
BenGr wrote:I wouldn't use Google maps as evidence. If it's not signed it is likely only a footpath.
True regarding google as evidence. But there are countless examples of shared paths which are not signed appropriately. (Shared paths as in part of a continuous network, council demarcation, occasional but insufficient signage.)

Not that I'm blaming lack of signage, as the rules are absurd if you choose to be pedantic about them. Here is an example of a 4m long shared footpath! It would seem the signage though allows for ~15m of travel because it was more convenient to attach the signs to existing poles.
I know that crossing, and the reasoning....is it legal to ride your bike across the ped crossing on Brunswick Rd though?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:54 pm

jules21 wrote:
encountered completely bat poo crazy pedestrian family on my commute this morning. all 3 of them broke out into profanities and hysterical shouting as I rolled past on the Capital City Trail.
some ped's are people that have sort of accidentally got out of their cars

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:03 pm

fat and old wrote:I know that crossing, and the reasoning....is it legal to ride your bike across the ped crossing on Brunswick Rd though?
It is legal to ride across the bicycle crossing with the bicycle lanterns. :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:34 pm

human909 wrote:
fat and old wrote:I know that crossing, and the reasoning....is it legal to ride your bike across the ped crossing on Brunswick Rd though?
It is legal to ride across the bicycle crossing with the bicycle lanterns. :wink:
:lol: Never noticed them. Cool

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:12 pm

I saw a rider on his time trial bike, in lycra, after 10pm, with no lights at all, on Monday night on a main road in Hawthorn (Melbourne). Moron.

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Attended funeral yesterday at the cemetery.

On the way from the chapel to the burial grounds, the mourners were crossing one of the cemetery roads on a marked zebra pedestrian crossing when a ROWMIL (retired old white male in lycra - there I've coined a new term :wink:) simply rode on through without even slowing. I had to physically stop a very frail and elderly woman from stepping out and getting clean up.

Firstly, just because it's a cemetery doesn't mean the signs and road rules don't apply.

Secondly, even if there was no signage (which there was), how about a little common courtesy and empathy, acknowledging that for some in the procession, it would be a very difficult time and they don't need to add being buzzed by a bicycle to the list of stressors.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 pm

CycloTron wrote:Attended funeral yesterday at the cemetery.

On the way from the chapel to the burial grounds, the mourners were crossing one of the cemetery roads on a marked zebra pedestrian crossing when a ROWMIL (retired old white male in lycra - there I've coined a new term :wink:) simply rode on through without even slowing. I had to physically stop a very frail and elderly woman from stepping out and getting clean up.

Firstly, just because it's a cemetery doesn't mean the signs and road rules don't apply.

Secondly, even if there was no signage (which there was), how about a little common courtesy and empathy, acknowledging that for some in the procession, it would be a very difficult time and they don't need to add being buzzed by a bicycle to the list of stressors.
I thought they were MOBILs (miserable old bastards in lycra).
Pretty poor form full stop though

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:04 pm

maybe he's cemetery staff and drumming up some more 'business'....

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:12 pm

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:22 pm

that's not right

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:08 pm

Nothing wrong here ....he shaved his back...... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers