The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

human909

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 am

jasonc wrote:numpty riding across the red moggil road pedestrian lights in front a police car
cops response: nothing.
Great. Riding across pedestrian crossings is in many cases encouraged by cycling infrastructure. It shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:33 am

human909 wrote:
jasonc wrote:numpty riding across the red moggil road pedestrian lights in front a police car
Great. Riding across pedestrian crossings is in many cases encouraged by cycling infrastructure. It shouldn't be illegal in the first place.
Don't care about riding across the pedestrian crossing (it's allowed at these lights) but it's doing it whilst the lights are red in front of a cop that annoys me.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:08 am

Had this a couple of weeks back- two middle aged CUBs on BSO's riding across an intersection without helmets on in front of cops- no reaction.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am

too much paperwork?

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:52 am

jasonc wrote:too much paperwork?
Methinks the donuts were hot off the press...

Damn now I am hungry

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 am

Pedestrian today on Nicholson St in Abbotsford.

I ring the bell three times on approach, then have to brake hard as he proceeds to walk across my line anyway.

No contact, fortunately.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I was on Edinburgh Street Canberra City going west up the hill. I had a green light approaching Marcus Clark street so was gunning it a bit to get through on the green. Mr dopey ped is standing on the traffic island in the centre of MC street facing the "urban food" corner. As I'm approximately 10 feet from the light he steps off (he had a red man) and strolls on over. He's half way across the lane and looks up and sees me eyeballing him. Does he stop? Does he go and faster or slower? No. So neither do i. :twisted: I just ding my bell and keep on going. He still doesn't make an effort and i know that it's up to me to obviously get out of his way and or move. I ding my bell again and aim relatively at him (obviously i wasn't going to barrell into him... :roll: ) and blow past him.

I get to the next corner and head off into work. Roll down into the basement at work, tie my bike up and out i go. Who saunters in and heads to a locker...? yup - you guessed it. Mr Dopey Ped. I gave him the greasy eye and walk straight past him on my way out.

I wonder if he strolls out in front of cars too... :roll:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Is there a thread for good pedestrians? I was cycling home from work yesterday arvo and a ped wanted to walk along the shared path in the opposite direction to most of the bicycle traffic. This pedestrian stopped before entering the path, looked in both directions, waited for an appropriate gap before crossing the path and walking along the edge of the path on the left hand side. If I had a medal I would have given it to him. It's so unusual to see peds take this level of care when using a shared path in a heavy traffic area.
<removed by request>

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Is there a thread for good pedestrians? I was cycling home from work yesterday arvo and a ped wanted to walk along the shared path in the opposite direction to most of the bicycle traffic. This pedestrian stopped before entering the path, looked in both directions, waited for an appropriate gap before crossing the path and walking along the edge of the path on the left hand side. If I had a medal I would have given it to him. It's so unusual to see peds take this level of care when using a shared path in a heavy traffic area.
Yeah, that's very good. I've seen a couple of them do that myself - and kudos to them for doing so!

When I'm the pedestrian, I do the same.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

This is from the UK ... it is one seriously brown pants moment for sure ... It is a *.mov so best viewed at the British Transport Police website.

Andrew

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 am

cp123 wrote:
I wonder if he strolls out in front of cars too... :roll:
He'll only need to do it once...

I notice quite often cyclists ridng the wrong way in those new bike lanes on Marcus Clarke St that are one-way, not sure what happens when they meet someone doing the other way as the paths are pretty narrow and not meant for cyclists to ride two-abreast or pass each other.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 am

Aushiker wrote:This is from the UK ... it is one seriously brown pants moment for sure ... It is a *.mov so best viewed at the British Transport Police website.

Andrew
Moron of the year award :shock:

redned

Postby redned » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 am

Aushiker wrote:This is from the UK ... it is one seriously brown pants moment for sure ... It is a *.mov so best viewed at the British Transport Police website.

Andrew
Why would you?
The barriers are down, the lights are flashing, the dingers are going and she may have skirted around traffic stopped at the barrier (guessing from her position on the road).
Just why would you?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 am

Ipod and "I don't care"
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

Had a few numptys on the way home yesterday.

One guy riding down La Trobe st separated lane, happy as you like... on the wrong side of the street O.o

Then I get over the hill to Exhibition St and as the guy in front of me is turning left a fixie hipster decides to cut across his line, crossing the street via the pedestrian crossing and continuing along on the footpath.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am

Andrew
I like how she then proceeds back the way she came. Probably headed back home to change the underwear.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Dumb Cyclist = Me

Yesterday afternoon on William st just after crossing Hay st heading North Bound, just in front of Dickies

Filtering between parked cars on my left and traffic on my right, saw a Range Rover ahead slowly pull into a car spot, very slowly as he had to wait for traffic in front oh him to move so he could move, i didnt see his tail lights indicating because of the traffic untill the last few meters, i shouldve stopped but instead swerved left into the empty car spot around the nose of the SUV.

Put myself in a dangerous spot...bad bad move.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm

:roll:

riding home last night - on the shared path between the Acton Ferry Terminal bridge and CW Bridge in Canberra (in the floriade zombie land for locals).

I was choofing along (southbound) and saw a family with about 4 kids roughly 4-12 and parents oncoming. They were a bit everywhere but both mum and dad were switched on and rounded them back nicely onto their own "half" of the path. Then i saw 2 cyclists behind them. one popped out as if to pass, saw me, changed his mind and slowed and popped back where he was. So I'm approaching the family, and then see a THIRD oncoming cyclist behind the family. But he decides MGIF NOW and comes out to pass both of the 2 guys in front of him. So he's looking at his left as he tries to roar past 2 cyclists and the family and he's head down gunning straight for me.

I ding my bell somewhat loudly as if to say "wakey wakey dude" and he looks up. I'm not sure whether he registers or not but we're heading for an oncoming here. I'm almost at the family who are now walking in pairs behind each other (still nicely on their own side) and almost at a standstill and he's still gunning it from behind the family as he's passing rider number 1.

I ding again, unhook one foot, hold my brakes and think to myself how the fluff is this going to end??? :shock: I'm starting to swerve to my left to at least give him clear run of the path (I can't go right as the family are all right there) but at the same time this young idiot with headphones on obviously sees my face and rips his bike to his right (yay - this is going from a head on on the path to a head on on the grass on the edge of the path... :evil: ) So i just stop and let him work it out and he does a wild, sudden and almost panicked out of control big skid and loop around me. Finally he calls out "take it easy dude!" while i've stopped in front of him with no idea which way he was expecting to go.

Mate - I'm not a bloody mind reader - if you think passing a group of 2 cyclists and a family into oncoming traffic isn't a stupid move then good luck to you. if i had my head down and arse up then both of us could've been toast.

moron.....

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=479_1380709802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Change of underwear, Anyone?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm

redned wrote:Why would you?
The barriers are down, the lights are flashing, the dingers are going and she may have skirted around traffic stopped at the barrier (guessing from her position on the road).
Just why would you?
The Railwayman in me has asked this question hundreds of times, seen the aftermath of similar events turning to custard six times too often and still has the occasional nightmare about hanging out the window of St Albans Signalbox screaming "GET BACK" to a similar clown on foot who walked up the footpath to the closed wicket gate, jumped the fence and ducked under the boom back in '88. He stepped back just in time but it took me half an hour to stop shaking.

Do Not Fred with trains people, EVER. They will win 99% of the time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skull

Postby skull » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
So I have a 1% chance then?

Challenge accepted.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Go nuts but it'll be a closed casket service. A chaffbag will usually suffice...

I'm one of the 1%ers myself, lost the heel of my boot but if I hadn't put myself in harms way that day the confused little old lady who was walking up the down line towards South Kensington from Footscray Pl04 wouldn't have joined me in that club. She wouldn't listen to me telling her she had to leave now and then the rails started singing so I picked her up and jumped.

Sorry, rambling. The trickcyclists in the welfare office told me it was cathartic... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Wow mate

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
+1000. Probably OT but, case in point - my cousin Nathan lost both legs when he slipped trying to jump onto a moving goods train on his ninth birthday. Sixteen years later he's represented Team GB at both summer and winter Paralympics and recently danced for the first time (at his wedding) on the artificial limbs he hardly ever uses. His story is quite inspirational but, all things considered, he is so very lucky to be alive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -home.html
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Yesterday arvo dumb cyclist. I was cycling north on william street and dumb cyclist was heading south... in my lane... almost took me out then launched head on towards moving cars! :shock:

It was ok though because he put his hand up to let the car drivers know to stop and let him through :roll: . He was turning right. Slick move mr cyclist.
<removed by request>