The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

AdelaidePeter

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm

biker jk wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Cyclist smashes car windscreen
http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... b2839c0af9
Wrong thread. Already in Moron Motorists thread.
Wow, you're seriously defending this guy?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:24 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
biker jk wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Cyclist smashes car windscreen
http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... b2839c0af9
You probably would defend the driver in the incident below.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-25/c ... ne/8841322

I can understand that a cyclist who was almost killed or badly injured by a careless driver would react violently. In any case, he damaged her car rather than a human.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

biker jk wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
biker jk wrote:
You probably would defend the driver in the incident below.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-25/c ... ne/8841322
Of course not.
biker jk wrote: I can understand that a cyclist who was almost killed or badly injured by a careless driver would react violently. In any case, he damaged her car rather than a human.
I can't.

Maybe the driver cut him off, or maybe he's a meathead who gets violent whenever he sees something he doesn't like. We don't know. But what we do know is that the cyclist's reaction was moronic.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Maybe the driver cut him off, or maybe he's a meathead who gets violent whenever he sees something he doesn't like. We don't know. But what we do know is that the cyclist's reaction was moronic.
So if you got a deliberate close pass, a really dangerous one, how would you react then? Or what if you were hit, would you just meekly accept it, or get angry?

Something seems a bit too suspect with this whole thing, the rider photographed smiling away. Hmm.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Wow, you're seriously defending this guy?
But before we condemn either party here, it's worth reflecting on the fact that we almost certainly don't have the full story (from either party). Obviously nothing from the biker, because he's gone, but also what the woman is saying doesn't stack up in my opinion.
The incident took place on February 7 about 3.35pm along Langs Rd, Ascot Vale. Police say a woman behind the wheel of her silver sedan “pulled over to the side of the road and waited for traffic to pass before performing a U-turn and parking”
So she pulled over and waited for him to pass before turning? Really? It doesn't stack up does it! Why would the rider get so angry if she waited for him to pass before turning. It's pretty obvious that her idea of "traffic" didn't include him.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Actually I would claim that the rider didn't in fact punch any car! And of course, by "any car" I specifically mean any car other than her's. ;)

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Maybe the driver cut him off, or maybe he's a meathead who gets violent whenever he sees something he doesn't like. We don't know. But what we do know is that the cyclist's reaction was moronic.
So if you got a deliberate close pass, a really dangerous one, how would you react then? Or what if you were hit, would you just meekly accept it, or get angry?

Something seems a bit too suspect with this whole thing, the rider photographed smiling away. Hmm.
I know what I wouldn't do: smash a windscreen. That's totally unacceptable.

Some video is here: https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/3 ... indscreen/ . It look s like the driver took out her phone and videoed him after the incident.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:I know what I wouldn't do: smash a windscreen. That's totally unacceptable.
I half agree with you and half don't.

As a cyclist I find myself in a society where threats to kill are totally acceptable. Hit and runs against cyclist are ignored by police especially if you are simple a walking wounded. And regular intimidation and life threatening behaviour around cyclists is considered normal.

In that context. Smashing a windscreen of somebody who has threatened your life is about the only recourse you have.

As a pedestrian and a motorist I have never been assaulted. As a cyclist I have been assaulted several times. There is a clear and present issue on our roads regarding cyclist safety The authorities, police/judiciary/politicians/road-authorities, are not addressing it.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

I know what I wouldn't do: smash a windscreen. That's totally unacceptable.
Agree, a close pass etc, isn't a green light to start smashing someone or their property. If you think think this is the answer then YOUR the problem

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 pm

NASHIE wrote:Agree, a close pass etc, isn't a green light to start smashing someone or their property. If you think think this is the answer then YOUR the problem
Yep. Lets value property above peoples lives.

Personally I don't see much constructive coming from reprisals. But to call the victims of life threatening aggression "the problem" is a bit rich.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 am

human909 wrote:
NASHIE wrote:Agree, a close pass etc, isn't a green light to start smashing someone or their property. If you think think this is the answer then YOUR the problem
Yep. Lets value property above peoples lives.

Personally I don't see much constructive coming from reprisals. But to call the victims of life threatening aggression "the problem" is a bit rich.
Common mate, you have never pulled out in front of someone, misjudged a lane change etc etc. Not every 'life threating aggression' is an act to wipe you out. Victim ? gezz where do you draw the line.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:19 am

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... zyJLxAzkZs

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... cw_8m0N2Rt

Two dash cams for this one. Car view and bike view. Rider is a total moron if he thinks jumping the red to get in front of two moron mustang drivers is safer then sitting back.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 am

NASHIE wrote:https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... zyJLxAzkZs

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... cw_8m0N2Rt

Two dash cams for this one. Car view and bike view. Rider is a total moron if he thinks jumping the red to get in front of two moron mustang drivers is safer then sitting back.
Agree. Better to avoid the escalation in aggression levels.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:01 am

“I was just riding alone and a guy in a blue Mustang a lady in a red Mustang were coming at speed - I could hear them coming down the road,” he said.

I would suggest that the red Mustang driver was no lady, just a loudmouth bogan. Cyclist shouldn't of gone through the red lights though, if he felt threatened by the Mustang drivers he could of perhaps pulled over for a minute and let them go to wherever they were going.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 am

I am going to add me in today...

Some mates and I were having a crack at a local longish segment recently and I took the final turn on the front a bit early so was out 'on a limb' for a while too long.

I was that far into oxygen deficit after we finished the segment I did not notice I had veered a long way out of the bike lane and into the road proper (busy-ish dual lane thing). Lucky for me it was still pre 6am and nothing was in the left hand lane.

Lesson learnt.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/39221758/sy ... -cronulla/

Did you get that? Without helmet. WITHOUT A HELMET! Even though his head didn't go near anything HE WAS NOT WEARING A HELMET!

BJL

Postby BJL » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 pm

P!N20 wrote:https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/39221758/sy ... -cronulla/

Did you get that? Without helmet. WITHOUT A HELMET! Even though his head didn't go near anything HE WAS NOT WEARING A HELMET!
All the cyclist had to do was say 'Sorry mate, I didn't see you' and it wouldn't have been a problem. Must be a slow news day. A very slooooooooooooooow news day. :P

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 pm

And he didn’t appear from nowhere he was clearly visible in the video before the crash. Wonder where the drivers eyes were.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Yet another person running in the cycling lane today. Maybe it was the same person? He was running towards me on one of the narrowest stretches of road in my town. I slowed down and gave him a few choice words. This is what happens when you live in a town where the majority of cyclists are also triathletes. I'm coming to realise a lot of them have no road sense what so ever.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Kronos wrote:Yet another person running in the cycling lane today. Maybe it was the same person? He was running towards me on one of the narrowest stretches of road in my town. I slowed down and gave him a few choice words. This is what happens when you live in a town where the majority of cyclists are also triathletes. I'm coming to realise a lot of them have no road sense what so ever.
Most of my commute is on a bike only path. Plenty of pedestrians. I don't yell any more, i just say "nice bike"

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 pm

jasonc wrote:
Kronos wrote:Yet another person running in the cycling lane today. Maybe it was the same person? He was running towards me on one of the narrowest stretches of road in my town. I slowed down and gave him a few choice words. This is what happens when you live in a town where the majority of cyclists are also triathletes. I'm coming to realise a lot of them have no road sense what so ever.
Most of my commute is on a bike only path. Plenty of pedestrians. I don't yell any more, i just say "nice bike"
This was on the road. Perhaps one of the most dangerous road sections in my town also. They were taking up what was left of the cycling lane which is already far too narrow on that section. Not only is it illegal (running on the road where there is a footpath) its also incredibly self serving and idiotic. To be fair I've got no problems with the vast majority of triathletes, and there are plenty on the Sunshine Coast. But really you'd have to have a phallus attached to your forehead not to realise that what you were doing was incredibly stupid.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

I have noticed this along David Low Way...I have said similar to Jason except to the women in the early mornings...the footpaths through here are often slightly hidden/distanced from the road and I can only presume they are on the road surface for safety.

My wish is that they would 'give a little' as they can see what is coming from behind me (passing cars) and I/we don't have to exit the bike lane and mix with the cars to give them space.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:00 pm

TheWall wrote:I have noticed this along David Low Way...I have said similar to Jason except to the women in the early mornings...the footpaths through here are often slightly hidden/distanced from the road and I can only presume they are on the road surface for safety.

My wish is that they would 'give a little' as they can see what is coming from behind me (passing cars) and I/we don't have to exit the bike lane and mix with the cars to give them space.
The one saving grace is that they tend to run in a constant and obvious direction. But where you're coming through Sunshine Beach and there is a tiny cycling lane, and obstacles (cars, trailers, etc) it comes to my mind, that if you want to run along there you have no care for my life at all. A lot of that road section is also blind, so asking me to ride into the potential path of a car just really ticked me off.

I can give a little. This isn't the first time its happened. However, you're right, they can give a little also. I know they're trained to keep a constant line, but really in this case... Just get out of the way, and get off the road in any way possible.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 am

came in early this morning, way before sunrise, runners on the bike path again, no lights. wearing black clothing, oh joy.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 am

bychosis wrote:And he didn’t appear from nowhere he was clearly visible in the video before the crash. Wonder where the drivers eyes were.
you've got to admit, there was quite a lot going on in that scene - two cars exiting a car park on the left in front of the driver (who had right of way), then the cyclists comes out from behind one of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were concentrating on the exits to the left to make sure no-one else was coming out.