The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Gordonhooker

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 pm

great news - I had my fair share of near misses on the gardens bike and walk track at lunch time today.
OI onya bike!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Perhaps now with this advert, people will start to admit that pedestrians have a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and cannot just assume they have a blanket right of way, as evidenced previously by these anecdotes or views:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see response by Wintal)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22881&start=4825" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (response by you cannot be sirrus)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16737&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (response by Cranky Jim)

That last one seems to suggest they can go wherever they want and we must assume they have full right of way - well, that's his idea any how. The latest campaign now makes it clear, peds cannot just live in iPod world. They have to take off their music and be aware of their surroundings and not just charge out as they sometimes do.

I take it carefully around them - but they've got to be mindful too. Sharing is a two way street. Each side must do their bit, and each side should keep to their side as much as possible (meaning keep left).

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 pm

I always wear ear-buds, both when walking and when cycling.

BUT...

The volume is always on its lowest setting (only just audible) and I am fully aware of my surroundings. But I've walked/ridden past people, though, whose
iPod/whatever is actually audible over mine!!?? Now, that is dangerous.

On-topic... I ride daily along a shared path, it lies between the footpath and the road, but is part of neither. It runs for about 500m, and is preceded and followed by
an on-road cycle-path (which I avoid religiously).

Yesterday, going slowly on the old 'Clipper', as the surface is bad and not clean, a young lady exits a gate, crosses the footpath and makes a bee-line for
her car parked at the kerb. To do so, she had to cross the cycle path.

Didn't look either way, on the footpath or the bike path. Not a close shave, as I was ready for it, but still...

Today, same path. Footpath is empty, and along the cycle-path come a couple of young kids, doing everything right. kept left, wore hemlets etc. But Mom
was in the middle of the path with a small dog (on a lead, it's true) on her right, blocking the remainder of the path.

CBF starting a bout of aggro, so pulled-up and let them pass (was on the dual-shock today, so again travelling fairly slowly - it's a heavy bike). Not so much
as a nod and/or a smile...

Ah, well...
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
zero wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
Regarding the bike lane looks fairly clear but you would need to ride through it to check - I commute using my motor cycle so I don't think the police or cyclists would be very happy if I rode the harley through the lane. In my post above it is clearly marked as a bicycle lane, the solid bike lane lines take you in that direction with or without the advisory 'ALL BICYCLES' sign. Also given that all but a few cyclists who use that road do use the bicycle lane under the bridge I would suggest it is clear, it is only a few and usually groups that ignore the road rule.
Its because its a significantly more difficult task to reenter the traffic flow with a group. Groups are best served by staying in the traffic flow, and other road users are also best served by that, because otherwise the group is likely to have to stop, and the group is likely to then be travelling significantly slower after the merge.

That should have always been a concession for individual cyclists to use, and not an "all bicycles" imperative sign.
Because a common sense individual would neither ride over the sliplane entrance, nor the worksite entrance in the bicycle lane, and the act of making the sliplane entrance safe makes the sharp kneebend into the stupid cyclepath you can't see down that is wrapped around a gutter that is pushed out into the cyclelane for absolutely no reason that I can see (it is not protecting the footpath because its a 1 way road where there is no traffic to ride up onto said footpath), safe. Those are both impracticable locations if you do in fact value not getting killed as an objective whilst you ride.

ie the entire location was designed by a 'tard. Sorry you can't understand that many sidelanes suck for safety.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:Anyone see todays Daily Telegraph - "Lambs to the slaughterhouse" advert?

Mr Scruby is getting active with advertising to get pedestrians to be more aware of their surroundings.
You mean Scruby is actually doing something constructive?! :shock: Never thought i'd live to see that day.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Somehow I don't we are talking about the same place zero..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OI onya bike!!!

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 am

First day back in commuting mode after a couple weeks on holiday. Taking off from a set of lights and heading down a long hill, a bike comes past me pretty quickly after timing the lights better than I did. Now I ride a recumbent and despite my grey beard and aged legs, there are very few bikes that can stay with me going downhill, so it was no surprise as I reeled him in and re-passed. He immediately jumped out of the saddle and pulled up to my wheel looking for a tow. Not sure what sort of draft he was getting as I continued to pull away until I slowed at the end of the section, where we move from the road onto a narrower shared path. I take it easy through there, as the path is always covered in sticks and debris and is quite steep in places. I was a bit surprised when he came past again – still at speed, and passing on my left. He was lucky I have mirrors and was using them, because if I had chosen that moment to move over, he would have had nowhere to go.

Passing on the left, at speed, is not a good idea.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 pm

This morning's commute, plenty of the usual 'exercising' walker, as opposed to the sight seeing type. Unusually one strayed across the path without a care in the world. I saw the lack of attention a little too late, the bell was ignored as was the emergency braking rear skid. I just carried on my way but 'mum' gave her a bit of a serve :)

Edit: going to have to work on my uploading skills, lost a lot of clarity there :(
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 pm

Heres my dumb cyclist for today.
Riding aong the bike lane on Reid Hwy heading towards West swan Rd and coming towards me was this guy. Put his arm up to indicate that he was going straight on.

http://youtu.be/uVq7UYrfEZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 am

johnny99 wrote:Heres my dumb cyclist for today.
Riding aong the bike lane on Reid Hwy heading towards West swan Rd and coming towards me was this guy. Put his arm up to indicate that he was going straight on.

mind boggling.....
OI onya bike!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 am

Gordonhooker wrote:

mind boggling.....
maybe that's how salmons do it? :roll:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:

mind boggling.....
maybe that's how salmons do it? :roll:

bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D
OI onya bike!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D
but that'd mean catching the train

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

jasonc wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D
You got a problem with that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
You got a problem with that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

if you've got your bike, you've got wheels, you ride!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:47 pm

jasonc wrote:
Not if it is between you and your morning coffee on a work day. :)
OI onya bike!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Not if it is between you and your morning coffee on a work day. :)
here's a shock for you - I don't drink coffee.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:45 pm

The ratbag that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:23 am

I nominate the three cycle cops this morning that passed me at somewhere near 20kph on my left South to North against the buildings along Barrack Street.

The "dumb" factor was that they carried that speed through the corner of the buildings at Murray Street. If a ped had been coming towards them along the West-East Murray St building line then said cops would have likely collected the ped.

They would not have been able to veer right even if they did see the ped at the last instant without wiping themselves off onto me. All they really needed to do was move AWAY from the buildng line (as I do) or, even better, slow down.

Normally these guys are the epitome of consideration.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:34 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I nominate the three cycle cops this morning that passed me at somewhere near 20kph on my left South to North against the buildings along Barrack Street.

The "dumb" factor was that they carried that speed through the corner of the buildings at Murray Street. If a ped had been coming towards them along the West-East Murray St building line then said cops would have likely collected the ped.

They would not have been able to veer right even if they did see the ped at the last instant without wiping themselves off onto me. All they really needed to do was move AWAY from the buildng line (as I do) or, even better, slow down.

Who has right of way, the pedestrian or the three cyclists? :twisted:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:18 am

g-boaf wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I nominate the three cycle cops this morning that passed me at somewhere near 20kph on my left South to North against the buildings along Barrack Street.

Neither. The term "Right of Way" as far as I can recall is only used in the WA Road Traffic Code 2000 in respect to giving way at traffic-control signals (regulation 45). It is a common misunderstanding of the road rules to refer to a "right of way." There is however obligation's to "give way" in the Road Traffic Code and the Road Traffic Act imposes obligations related to responsible driving (riding).

Andrew

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:30 am

Did you miss the smilie? ;)

And besides, if they collected you - good luck trying to argue that they were at fault or were riding in an irresponsible manner.

Perhaps this is a story for the Daily Telegraph or the Courier Mail to pick up on? (they won't however - for obvious reasons).

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:30 am

g-boaf wrote:

did they have lights and sirens flashing? :P
2010 BMC SLC01

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 am

hannos wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

did they have lights and sirens flashing? :P
Did they ring their bells? :lol:

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

Dragster1 wrote:The dingleberry that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing
Sadly there are way too many of these...giving us a bad name

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian