The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Bah77 wrote:Okay you want to walk on the cycle path, great, oh you also want to walk directly in the center?
LOL! see this all the time normally with the head phones on also and they crap themselves when you fly pass and your shadow hits them. I've felt like giving them a quick flick on the backside with my foot but with the laws these days bad idea. :)
I'm ready...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:
Bah77 wrote:Okay you want to walk on the cycle path, great, oh you also want to walk directly in the center?
LOL! see this all the time normally with the head phones on also and they crap themselves when you fly pass and your shadow hits them. I've felt like giving them a quick flick on the backside with my foot but with the laws these days bad idea. :)
I'm ready...
airzound is made for these situations. :mrgreen:

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
I think I might need 2 airzounds :x :x in case one isn't loud enough :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
you realise I'm encourageable. so stop it.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
It only takes one Air Zound and a well timed toot..... :-D

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Air Zounds are the best accessory I've ever bought for my bicycle. Never going without again!

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 am

CXCommuter wrote:
Dibs to the guy along West Coast Highway PSP on his Tribars watching a video on his Dumbphone/tablet whilst cruising at 30km/h.
Sounds like a complete D***head to me.

This is not a PSP (Principal Shared Path) but a lower speed recreational Shared Path. OK alongside West Coast Highway there are places with very few pedestrians but further north, alongside West Coast Drive, then this is too fast, too stupid and just plain reckless.

Shared Paths are for slower cycling, max 20kph, and ready to give way/stop at any time. Tribars or any distractions are not in order. This guy should be on moron motorists as an honorary member as he seems to be as well qualified.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45 am

citywomble wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:
Dibs to the guy along West Coast Highway PSP on his Tribars watching a video on his Dumbphone/tablet whilst cruising at 30km/h.
Sounds like a complete D***head to me.

This is not a PSP (Principal Shared Path) but a lower speed recreational Shared Path. OK alongside West Coast Highway there are places with very few pedestrians but further north, alongside West Coast Drive, then this is too fast, too stupid and just plain reckless.

Shared Paths are for slower cycling, max 20kph, and ready to give way/stop at any time. Tribars or any distractions are not in order. This guy should be on moron motorists as an honorary member as he seems to be as well qualified.
Just curious - what is the problem with tri-bars (which I used to use when I was still riding).

Actually tri-bars seem to me to be a bit less common than they used to be.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Image Train Horn 178 db

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Very unpleasant woman and hubby... both apparently 65 on the Centennial trail today. I passed them going the other way at marginally over jogging pace... (I could tell cos the joggers I had passed back before burke rd were still in sight behind) on my side.. and completely on my side and a foot or so clear. I passed.. they yelled abuse. I returned to enquire.

It appears I should have completely left the path to allow those people to use it in its entirety as "bicycles must give way to pedestrians' and they were walking alongside each other over the middle of the path and that was their utter right.

Self entitled plonkers.

I suggested to the male that if he was so keen on a fight I was fine with it and the woman suggested I was picking on an old man. Pah.. bigger age difference between my brother and me.

Seriously... its a long while since I have met bigger wastes of oxygen. I,m going to start jogging that bit of path and I wont be moving over an inch for anyone going the other way.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Think I met them in Sunbury a few weeks back Perc. Slow to walking pace to pass and get the "Its a footpath, Pal".
Told him if he wanted to hang around for 20 odd minutes I'd be back with a print of the appropriate state and local laws stating the blindingly obvious, ill mannered dill just turned his back...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Seriously meeting absolute wastes of space like that just sours your day. Last one was some ar$e who had a go at me for saying 'passing' instead of ringing a bell. And they are the sods who will run you down because you ride two abreast. Much of the misery on the planet and the majority of stupid lawsuits are from these sort of people

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Percrime wrote:Self entitled plonkers.
Legally they're right. And still plonkers. Probably just as self-entitled and incapable of courtesy when behind the wheel of a car. Scary thought.

But if you get off your bike and start walking and hold your line, you turn the tables on them. ;)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

CXCommuter wrote:He was holding the phone in both hands leaning forward on the tri bars
:lol: Darwin Award!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:27 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Just curious - what is the problem with tri-bars (which I used to use when I was still riding).

Brakes. Try getting to them in an emergency when you're on the tri-bars, and see what happens.

It's not unlike like driving a car with brake pedal in the passenger side footwell.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:49 am

trailgumby wrote:
Percrime wrote:Self entitled plonkers.
Legally they're right. And still plonkers. Probably just as self-entitled and incapable of courtesy when behind the wheel of a car. Scary thought.

But if you get off your bike and start walking and hold your line, you turn the tables on them. ;)
I,ll do exactly that. Running while pushing the bike. Anytime I see em. Cyclecross practice. And I,ll be using all my side of the path thank you. And I should imagine they are as self entitled and incapable of courtesy in every single thing they do.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Percrime wrote:It appears I should have completely left the path to allow those people to use it in its entirety as "bicycles must give way to pedestrians' and they were walking alongside each other over the middle of the path and that was their utter right.
dismount and wait with your bike next to you for them to pass, taking up the whole path :mrgreen:

i have very few issues with pedestrians on shared paths (dog walkers aside, who are often terrible), but every now and then you'll find someone..

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Percrime wrote:Very unpleasant woman and hubby... both apparently 65 on the Centennial trail today. I passed them going the other way at marginally over jogging pace... (I could tell cos the joggers I had passed back before burke rd were still in sight behind) on my side.. and completely on my side and a foot or so clear. I passed.. they yelled abuse. I returned to enquire.

It appears I should have completely left the path to allow those people to use it in its entirety as "bicycles must give way to pedestrians' and they were walking alongside each other over the middle of the path and that was their utter right.

Self entitled plonkers.

I suggested to the male that if he was so keen on a fight I was fine with it and the woman suggested I was picking on an old man. Pah.. bigger age difference between my brother and me.

Seriously... its a long while since I have met bigger wastes of oxygen. I,m going to start jogging that bit of path and I wont be moving over an inch for anyone going the other way.
They are right - you have to give way to them as they are vulnerable users of the path.

You should even dismount and walk past them.

Haven't you learned anything from the numerous lectures on BNA with the pedestrians in disguise on here saying all the above? ;)

When I come up against those people I go very slowly past them at no more than their speed and wait until they move to give me enough room.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 am

I don't. I slow down to a reasonable speed (which may still be faster than walking speed), use my bell if necessary (when I'm at least 10 seconds away), and if they move aside for me, I thank them. On the other hand, if they still deliberately obstruct me, then I remind them it's a shared path. If that offends them, so be it.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

I must the only one but I have never had any issues on shared paths at all. Everyone is happy and says hello back to me when I go past.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Some people just don't want to share. Or rather, they do, but only on their terms. :roll:

Too many angry people around these days.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Just curious - what is the problem with tri-bars (which I used to use when I was still riding).

Brakes. Try getting to them in an emergency when you're on the tri-bars, and see what happens.

It's not unlike like driving a car with brake pedal in the passenger side footwell.
Exactly, excellent for long flat sections of road with no one around, on a Shared path they are dangerous but the biggest concern in this case was using them as a resting pad for his arms holding a mobile entertainment device.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:27 pm

g-boaf wrote: Haven't you learned anything from the numerous lectures on BNA with the pedestrians in disguise on here saying all the above? ;)
We've never said that. In the case of people who won't share part of the path at all (which is a far less frequently observable event than poor driving imo), I just stop and make them go round, which forces them to make the space anyway.

If you must say anything to them, tell them its a very bad idea to try make a kid cyclist leave and reenter a path at a shallow angle.

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Not sure why you'd ride at night like one guy I saw tonight with no rear or front light and just rely on your hi-viz! Every tradie and his dog wears hi-viz these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 am

Hah, shared paths, I had a fair few pedestrians to deal with on the bike path tonight. I just don't understand why they want to use a path at the same time as bikes doing around 30KMh when it is a bike path and the pedestrian path is a few metres away.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)