The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

casual_cyclist

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKAIjKh8Jso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 am

Biffidus wrote:'Woah' doesn't work on them newfangled iron horses. Clearly they are a menace and should be registered!
:D
outnabike wrote:Hi Bruce, Are you seriously saying. "woah woah woah" wont stop a bike? :lol:
Technically it did stop a bike, just not HIS bike. Thanks for the laughs guys - helps to let off steam
Anything you can do, I can do slower

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 am

Genius pedestrian on the shared path this morning. I usually freewheel from about 20m back when approaching peds (Campy freehub's almost as effective as an Airzound for a warning device). This one kept her head down and slowly drifted from the left side of the path to the right upon hearing my approach. Special.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:26 pm

lobstermash wrote:Campy freehub's almost as effective as an Airzound for a warning device
almost, but not quite.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 pm

It's damn loud. Even the odd iPed hears me coming...

Just for the record, I'm not going to post in this thread for the next two months for the sake of not spamming it up. But I'll say one word that makes all Canberran cyclists that commute to Civic shudder... Floriade. 'Nuff said.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 am

Same idiot in Baulkham Hills - same red light again. No audio. I wasn't yelling kind things to him.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

TO the wonder boy who has eaten lots of carrots and can see in the dark - please put on some lights so us mortals can see you. :shock: :roll:

Tuesday night at about 6:20pm there was a "Time trialing wonder boy" on the M7C shared pathway; nearly all black team kit, aero bars, black bike, black shoe covers, black helmet. Heading towards the M2 - in the tuck position on my side of the path as he wooshed past some peds. My right elbow brushed his handlebar. In the brief second that I saw him it looked like an expensive bike and kit with a serious rider. Why not invest in a front and rear blinky light - consider it an insurance policy.

I don't know if it is just me but are others finding that there seem to be more bike ninjas on nice bikes that don't need to use lights :?: :roll: this goose is my second for the week?
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:00 am

westab wrote:TO the wonder boy who has eaten lots of carrots and can see in the dark - please put on some lights so us mortals can see you. :shock: :roll:

Tuesday night at about 6:20pm there was a "Time trialing wonder boy" on the M7C shared pathway; nearly all black team kit, aero bars, black bike, black shoe covers, black helmet. Heading towards the M2 - in the tuck position on my side of the path as he wooshed past some peds. My right elbow brushed his handlebar. In the brief second that I saw him it looked like an expensive bike and kit with a serious rider. Why not invest in a front and rear blinky light - consider it an insurance policy.

I don't know if it is just me but are others finding that there seem to be more bike ninjas on nice bikes that don't need to use lights :?: :roll: this goose is my second for the week?
Most people I see on the M7 have their lights going - especially those with the expensive bikes. There is a portion of the M7 cycleway that has no lighting at night (for a while), might have bean near Eastern Road (iirc), but generally it is so well lit that it is easy to see other riders ahead, even ones that don't have the lights going.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 am

g-boaf wrote:
westab wrote:TO the wonder boy who has eaten lots of carrots and can see in the dark - please put on some lights so us mortals can see you. :shock: :roll:

Most people I see on the M7 have their lights going - especially those with the expensive bikes. There is a portion of the M7 cycleway that has no lighting at night (for a while), might have bean near Eastern Road (iirc), but generally it is so well lit that it is easy to see other riders ahead, even ones that don't have the lights going.
g-boaf agree that it is usually easy to see, I usually turn the helmet light off and the handlebar light to blink so I can be seen. This guy bombed out from just behind the peds near the waste treatment plant, with his hands still on the aero bars - only really half in control (at best).

It must just have been me this week - just seeing two; hope that's all till daylight saving starts and I am going home when it is light.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 am

Lady playing fetch with her dog along the Athllon Drive shared path, using one of those tennis ball launcher sticks to get extra distance... Not a good idea any time of the day around a shared path. Even less so at 8:20am.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:50 am

lobstermash wrote:Lady playing fetch with her dog along the Athllon Drive shared path, using one of those tennis ball launcher sticks to get extra distance... Not a good idea any time of the day around a shared path. Even less so at 8:20am.
you know the fix for that?

a bike is quicker than a dog. get the ball and take it with you. the dog will follow

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 pm

jasonc wrote:
lobstermash wrote:Lady playing fetch with her dog along the Athllon Drive shared path, using one of those tennis ball launcher sticks to get extra distance... Not a good idea any time of the day around a shared path. Even less so at 8:20am.
you know the fix for that?

a bike is quicker than a dog. get the ball and take it with you. the dog will follow
I've seen that happen myself, guy near Prestons in Sydney doing the same thing on the M7 cycleway. You can't do much about it, it's shared use, and I suppose throwing balls for a dog is part of that definition. ;)

I've had some friendly looking dogs start chasing me after their owner commanded them to stay. I sprinted and left them behind. I should have just done 30km/h and kept them chasing, far away from the owner. 8)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:You can't do much about it, it's shared use, and I suppose throwing balls for a dog is part of that definition. ;)
A fiver says a shared use area is not a designated off-leash area.

i.e. no ball chasing by dogs allowed.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:01 pm

jasonc wrote:
g-boaf wrote:You can't do much about it, it's shared use, and I suppose throwing balls for a dog is part of that definition. ;)

There are very few off-leash areas in the ACT and the ones I know about all have fences around them.

Cheers,

Cameron

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:07 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
jasonc wrote:

There are very few off-leash areas in the ACT and the ones I know about all have fences around them.

Cheers,

Cameron
It's OK, the only thing more rare than off-leash areas in the ACT are rangers.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 pm

jasonc wrote:

Good luck finding anyone to enforce it - which I guess is what I was getting at, hence the emoticon.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:16 pm

jasonc wrote:a bike is quicker than a dog. get the ball and take it with you. the dog will follow
my greyhound would disagree! although i don't play fetch with her, i can't take her off the lead at all :cry:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:19 pm

jules21 wrote:
jasonc wrote:a bike is quicker than a dog. get the ball and take it with you. the dog will follow
my greyhound would disagree! although i don't play fetch with her, i can't take her off the lead at all :cry:

I should have had an asterix for greyhounds

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 pm

I've come across a few kelpies that'd be pretty hard to outrun. They've kept pace with the car at ~50km/h for a km or two, legs flopping all over the place and tongue hanging out.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:30 pm

lobstermash wrote:I've come across a few kelpies that'd be pretty hard to outrun. They've kept pace with the car at ~50km/h for a km or two, legs flopping all over the place and tongue hanging out.
Yikes that sounds like my ex-wife.... :shock:
OI onya bike!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
lobstermash wrote:I've come across a few kelpies that'd be pretty hard to outrun. They've kept pace with the car at ~50km/h for a km or two, legs flopping all over the place and tongue hanging out.
is there a video? :oops:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:45 pm

jasonc wrote:

From the M7 website: "It is a legal requirement that while on the shared path dogs must be kept on a leash, for the safety of all."

Here you go :)

Perhaps a ranger could be enticed with the fiver to do something about it......
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm

More likely to get some action with a sixer:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm

jasonc wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
is there a video? :oops:
No thank God :) :lol:
OI onya bike!!!

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

lobstermash wrote:Floriade. 'Nuff said.

Gold! Absolutely true. I go in in the morning via the main road and London circuit but in the afternoon usually end up on the path between capital towers, over the pedestrian bridge and back around to CW bridge.

It's only been 2 days and the zombie ped apocalypse has arrived. groups of 20 abreast - folk running left to right to get photos and mumma swans protecting their babies so they come at you hissing and wings flapping.

It's better than any ride at any amusement park.... :lol: