The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 pm

sylvan rd toowong inbound this morning
i'm riding outside the bike lane due to roadworks (you see the sign at 11 secs)
the traffic queues and it was near the blocked bike lane so i rolled up and started to move left
he then undertakes me
i left the conversation at the lights in
i'll say language warning, just in case

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:38 pm

MGIF doesn't just happen with cars.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 pm

jasonc wrote:sylvan rd toowong inbound this morning
i'm riding outside the bike lane due to roadworks (you see the sign at 11 secs)
the traffic queues and it was near the blocked bike lane so i rolled up and started to move left
he then undertakes me
i left the conversation at the lights in
i'll say language warning, just in case
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you required to give way to him? You were technically changing lanes (traffic lane to bike lane). No different to undertaking cars from the bike lane in heavy traffic.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:54 pm

AKO wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you required to give way to him? You were technically changing lanes (traffic lane to bike lane). No different to undertaking cars from the bike lane in heavy traffic.
i did give way to him. my concern was that if you look at the gap, the problem was he had to give way to me as the bollards blocked the bike lane, not the car lane....

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Seems to me that you changed into his bike lane while he passed you on the left. He had a fair bit more speed and his shadow was clear ahead of yours while you were both still in the bike lane. I would agree that he did cut it fine but that just begs the question why you changed into the blocked bike lane so close to the obstruction?

Ken

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:57 am

You cut him off there. Lucky for you he had room to avoid the collision.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 am

Biffidus wrote:You cut him off there. Lucky for you he had room to avoid the collision.
I'll take the heat. I can tell you there'd be no way in hell I'd do what he did.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 am

In Vic if two cars are coming to a lane end, the car with its nose in front (even in the left lane) has to be let through into the unblocked lane.

I am sure jasonc saw the lane was ending and the left rider made a run for the gap. Had Jasonc been a car the result would have been different for sure. No rider is going to challenge for front spot with a vehicle and swing into its path.
Jasonc appears to have taken the lane to avoid the closure and would have no doubt been pushed further right and into traffic by that rider.
I reckon the left rider should have fallen into line behind Jasonc and proceeded in a safe manner, not race for the small opening. He must have seen the blockage ahead, or he would be a blind man.

A front view of the close call would have been more telling though. To me, It was a small window of opportunity that the left rider seemed to be trying for.
Jasonc did the correct thing by slowing for the left rider and letting him through and not having to swing further right into his lane.

I may be wrong but I like to have the rider with the obstacle, parked car etc be the one to give room, or blending safely earlier. That is safer on the road way come in up to a pinch point. The same applies to narrowing lanes coming to roundabouts as this case. Its not prudent to stay left and then swing out into traffic. Get out well ahead of the restriction. He got away with Jasonc but it is dangerous with cars.

The only thing that Jasonc did wrong was not to see that bloke in the rear view mirror and speed up to be in front at the obstruction. :) Or to suddenly swing out his left arm in a well timed, left turn gesture to indicate a re-entering of the bike lane.Then as we all know, you may not over take a left turning vehicle. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

+1

To my mind that is no different to a car charging up the left lane and then undertaking and cutting in front of someone to get around a parked car. If nothing else it is just plain rude.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:39 am

None of this would have occured if we didn't have pathetic and unclear cycling infrastructure with inadequate safety precautions protecting obstructions. If you put some road works in the middle of a road lane you have much better signage than that!
outnabike wrote:In Vic if two cars are coming to a lane end, the car with its nose in front (even in the left lane) has to be let through into the unblocked lane.
I think this needs to go into the thread next door about misunderstood road rules. This is only the case if the lanes merge. (Merge as there is no dividing line separating the lanes at the join point.) If the non continuing lane has a dashed line as is often the case then the vehicles in the non continuing lane need to give way.

(Though if you want to get technical jasonc also crossed the dashed line seconds early without regard to the oncoming cyclists.)

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:49 pm

outnabike wrote:In Vic if two cars are coming to a lane end, the car with its nose in front (even in the left lane) has to be let through into the unblocked lane.
That may be true but in my opinion jasonc actually moved into the blocked lane to slide up the left of the queuing traffic. Old mate was carrying a bit too much speed and probably should have anticipated jasonc's move but technically he was in the right.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Oxford wrote:My dumb pedestrians from yesterday. Riding shared pathway to work, coming to a T intersection of said paths and notice MAWILs walking. So I slow down to determine if they are walking across the top of the T or turning into pathway I am on which is also a bridge with rails. You guessed it they are turning onto the bridge, so I slow more and of course they are not looking for anyone and nearly walk into me who is now at a dead stop holding a bridge rail for support. SIDSY is the response. Now on the cruiser with ape hangers nearly a metre wide I stand around 6' tall, flashing light at front and bright clothing and dead standstill, a fairly large profile. What hope have cyclists got on the road when at walking speed we "cannot be seen"?
You obviously have good reading of approaching hazards so a simple ring of the bell would've alerted the daydreamers to your presence.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
Looking at the shadow, you have some serious flapping going on around your back. You rocking a batman cape or something? :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:37 pm

fat and old wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Looking at the shadow, you have some serious flapping going on around your back. You rocking a batman cape or something? :lol:
had my gilet undone

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Oxford wrote:Did that, they were in lala land, I use my bell incessantly along that pathway.
Fair enough - not much else you can do there :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:04 pm

had a good bit of karma this arvo. there are a few asshat pedestrians who use the bike only ramp over the inner city bypass. anyway, there was one tonight. as i go by I say "one day you'll learn". I get to the other side of the bridge and who should be there but 2 bicycle policy. I yell out to them (as they were heading towards bowne bridge road. they stop and i ask them to go and have a chat to said asshat. odly, they said no fine could be issued

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 pm

jasonc wrote:bike only ramp over the inner city bypass
Whereabouts is this?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm

wellington_street wrote:
jasonc wrote:bike only ramp over the inner city bypass
Whereabouts is this?
near spring hill, brisbane

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm

jasonc wrote:near spring hill, brisbane
I'm not a Brisbane local so I'm curious - is it the land bridge next to the tennis courts?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 pm

wellington_street wrote:
jasonc wrote:near spring hill, brisbane
I'm not a Brisbane local so I'm curious - is it the land bridge next to the tennis courts?
that's it
on the golf course side, one "ramp" is bike only

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks mate

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:57 pm

here's a picture of the genius:

picture of sign:

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 pm

jasonc wrote: picture of sign:
Even as a cyclist i would never look for a sign like that when i am walking and see a path.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 am

jasonc wrote:
fat and old wrote:
jasonc wrote:
had my gilet undone
Gilet? Undone?

Shoulda looked where you're from....sorry, I'm in Victoria.

Gilet undone.......I can dream of such things :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 am

Seriously though. I don't see the great benefit to the public to be issuing a ticket for the odd pedestrian on a bike only ramp.

The more we obsess about rules the less we have concern about people.