The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 pm

fat and old wrote: What was he looking at? Couldn't believe you caught him?
Possibly. I was having a word about his bike craft. He suggested he saw the bike coming up the hill. I call bs

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:48 pm

jasonc wrote:
250w yeah right
after this he hit sylvan rd and rode down the wrong side. because salmoning is cool
and people wonder why ebikes need to be registered.
According to Strava 250W gets me very close to 40 kmph on a somewhat undulating but overall level road so my question is, what average speed did you record to catch him?

Ken

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:10 pm

HAHAHA! What a ripper! That was hilarious footage, but I know I should take this seriously and stop laughing or I might make a typo. Hang on while I take a deep breath and stop laughing ...

... Okay! I'm on his side for the pedestrians crossing the 'cycle lane' without following the common law road rules - look right, look left, and look right again. The horn is a good idea for that.

Where he went wrong, badly, was with the fellow walking along the side of the road, because to my way of thinking, a pedestrian has the right to walk along the side of the road, (preferably towards oncoming traffic, ie. on the right side of roads where cars & bikes drive/ride on the left). In this case, the cyclist was right to honk, to warn the pedestrian that he was approaching from behind, but probably should have slowed and passed at walking pace.

That last pedestrian was seemingly shocked by the sound of the horn by the way he jumped up and turned around. Obviously some martial arts training by his reaction; another good reason to pass courteously.

My bike has twin 12v horns, the kind that Japanese motorbikes tend to come with as standard issue. Two of them because that's what Holden Premiers used to have in the 1970s, whereas Kingswoods and Belmonts only had the single horn, no music. Cheap class I know, but it is still more classy. They have been helpful to me, but not exactly in the same way as the cyclist in the video. I use them to let pedestrians know I am approaching, from a distance, and just a little 'toot-toot'.

On the way back from the local shop today, at the top end of the alley, there was a big old fellow with a cowboy hat and big black oilskin standing halfway across the path, so I could have squeezed past him with 6" or more to spare, but I have learned that since electric bikes are almost silent, it is a real good way to get on their bad side by surprising and scaring the shite out of them. So I honked from around 20m away, then again at arounc 10m away, and then called out 'Hello mate!', after which he finally turned his head and saw me riding up the last bit of steep incline to the end of the alley. No problem, all good, but the horn would usually be a good idea for pedestrians who are not deaf, like this fellow seemed to be until I called out.

How I can totally understand why the cyclist in the video needs his horn, and mostly good use, but I do not think he was right to try to force the last kung-fu master off the path when he was walking in the same direction, because that would be like a car on the road honking at a cyclist to get off the road, in essence. The narrow path being the only difference. He should have slowed down for Bruce Lee, but in the end, I guess he did, didn't he?
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Original video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6kB8Uu5xMU

A bell would have sufficed in nearly all the incidents he shows in the video; and in some (especially 0:45) it looks like he's meant to give way.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Ha Ha.....got what he deserved in the end.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Ah. Air horns. moses for bikes. Those peds deserved it. The last one was a 50-50

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:50 am

I've probably mentioned it around here before, but my approach (that I got from the Bikeyface blog) is to call out firmly, "Heads up!", to any oblivious pedestrian - from a decent distance away.

I do it in a way that is not angry or accusatory, but simply as a warning. If I do it like that, it is pretty hard for a pedestrian to respond angrily.

However, it is pretty obvious to both parties that I have seen them and that they haven't seen me, so it is a bit of a passive-aggressive putdown. Hehehehehe.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am

RobertL wrote:I've probably mentioned it around here before, but my approach (that I got from the Bikeyface blog) is to call out firmly, "Heads up!", to any oblivious pedestrian - from a decent distance away.

I do it in a way that is not angry or accusatory, but simply as a warning. If I do it like that, it is pretty hard for a pedestrian to respond angrily.

However, it is pretty obvious to both parties that I have seen them and that they haven't seen me, so it is a bit of a passive-aggressive putdown. Hehehehehe.
I call out to them as well, then thanks as I go past. Or I ride on the road in areas where there are too many possibilities of distracted pedestrians on autopilot mode.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm

I've had a few crackers in and around Brisbane lately.

Tuesday evening just gone, a roadie descending the twists and turns of the back of Mount Cootha in the pitch black with no front light...... :shock:

Along a 'bicycle only' section of unlit bikeway, a gentleman dressed in black, walking a large Labrador, which was also black and on an extended leash! Luckily I was not descending on the that section in which you can get up to 50km/h fairly easily!

And just last night, a speed walker, again on a bike only section of the cycleway. :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:51 pm

An older gent crossing the road earlier today, saw me out of the corner of his eye as I turned left onto the road he was crossing. I was slowing to a stop around the turn cause I saw him long before he saw me, he didnt even glance. He completely misjudged my speed, freaked out a little, and ended up doing a mistimed leap which left him stumbling across the road. He was lucky not to face plant, really. He proceeds to turn and berate me (I only understood "too fast" and "bell") as I roll by, to which I respond "lucky it wasnt a car, hey?" I did feel a little bad about not just waving and moving on, but I've seen people put themselves in constantly bad positions and swear blind at whoever catches them out on it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:22 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:I've had a few crackers in and around Brisbane lately.
For the pedestrians, I comment "nice bike"
But yes, way too many after sunset lately along the western fwy bike way

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:33 am

adam0bmx0 wrote:Tuesday evening just gone, a roadie descending the twists and turns of the back of Mount Cootha in the pitch black with no front light...... :shock:
You scared me there for a second...I had my front light fail on me on Coot-tha. Then I realised that mine happened a couple of weeks ago and I descended the front at about walking pace. So it wasn't me you saw. Phew!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm

familyguy wrote:An older gent crossing the road earlier today, saw me out of the corner of his eye as I turned left onto the road he was crossing. I was slowing to a stop around the turn cause I saw him long before he saw me, he didnt even glance. He completely misjudged my speed, freaked out a little, and ended up doing a mistimed leap which left him stumbling across the road. He was lucky not to face plant, really. He proceeds to turn and berate me (I only understood "too fast" and "bell") as I roll by, to which I respond "lucky it wasnt a car, hey?" I did feel a little bad about not just waving and moving on, but I've seen people put themselves in constantly bad positions and swear blind at whoever catches them out on it.
If you're turning left onto the road he's crossing, then you (or the hypothetical car in the same situation) are meant to give way. Perhaps not wise behaviour on his part, but it was "correct".

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
familyguy wrote:An older gent crossing the road earlier today, saw me out of the corner of his eye as I turned left onto the road he was crossing. I was slowing to a stop around the turn cause I saw him long before he saw me, he didnt even glance. He completely misjudged my speed, freaked out a little, and ended up doing a mistimed leap which left him stumbling across the road. He was lucky not to face plant, really. He proceeds to turn and berate me (I only understood "too fast" and "bell") as I roll by, to which I respond "lucky it wasnt a car, hey?" I did feel a little bad about not just waving and moving on, but I've seen people put themselves in constantly bad positions and swear blind at whoever catches them out on it.
If you're turning left onto the road he's crossing, then you (or the hypothetical car in the same situation) are meant to give way. Perhaps not wise behaviour on his part, but it was "correct".
Peter you might have missed that Jim did give way - he slowed down & stopped to avoid a collission

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm

find_bruce wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Peter you might have missed that Jim did give way - he slowed down & stopped to avoid a collission
Yes I know he gave way, and I should have said that. It was more about whether the pedestrian was "dumb".

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Both fair calls. I'll get a pic of the corner. I reckon he's walked across the landscape bed to cross the road. Dumb?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 pm

familyguy wrote:Both fair calls. I'll get a pic of the corner. I reckon he's walked across the landscape bed to cross the road. Dumb?
Before I sound too smug, I only learned this rule a few years ago, and I've had my license since the 80s. I even once yelled at pedestrians from my car as I did the turn, when it was me who had to give way :oops: .

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm

I knew of it's existence, but I wasn't going to sit waiting to turn left and expose myself to being shunted for it. Rather ease around, let the guy cross, then go on our merry ways.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Had a MGIF cyclist on my commute home & passed me on the narrow pedestrian bridge over Victoria Rd Rozelle & then proceeded to almost take out 3 consecutive pedestrians before entering the road at speed, just missing getting cleaned up by a car

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Triathlete competitors undertake horse and injure rider during triathlon (video)

http://road.cc/content/news/243742-vide ... -triathlon

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/statu ... 9621544960

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Ross wrote:Triathlete competitors undertake horse and injure rider during triathlon (video)

Thats terrible riding what a bunch of idiots. Many of the overtakers where also way to close.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 pm

NASHIE wrote:
Ross wrote:Triathlete competitors undertake horse and injure rider during triathlon (video)

Thats terrible riding what a bunch of idiots. Many of the overtakers where also way to close.
Worse than close: according to this post, one of the cyclists (the undertaking one I assume) brushed the rider's stirrups https://www.facebook.com/Idiotukdrivers ... 413381670/ . Whether or not contact was made, it was way too close.
Last edited by AdelaidePeter on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daus

Postby Daus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 am

Lots of close passes I am suprised given the fact there was no oncoming traffic the riders did not give more room. The rider did well controlling the horse up to the underpass. If vehicular traffic was passing cyclists in the same situation there would be lots of youtube activity- let's give all road users space and respect.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 pm

kenwstr wrote:
jasonc wrote:
250w yeah right
According to Strava 250W gets me very close to 40 kmph on a somewhat undulating but overall level road so my question is, what average speed did you record to catch him?
It's 250W up to 25km/hr, not at all speeds, isn't it?