The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

nezumi

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby nezumi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 am

Riding home yesterday, two ladies with prams on the shared path coming toward me in my lane. I ring my bell. They kind of split but then don't. I end up passing them in the opposite travel lane, pointing down the the paint on the ground AT THIER FEET which shows the intended direction of travel.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am

Last night, a pedestrian on the wrong side of a *cycle-only* path adjacent to a ped only path made a shoulder-check type motion towards me as I was going past...

After that I gave an oncoming roadie with no lights a fright by going into his lane to hang a 180 degree turn. No risk of collision as I was out of the way before he got to the same spot, or I wouldn't have done it, but gave him a fright and I suggested he get some lights. Maybe he'll listen :roll:

Day before, I saw somebody flying down beside the botanical gardens at Coot-tha at ~60kmh, in the dark, with no lights. I'm worried enough about getting pulled out on there in daylight, let along at night with no lights.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am

InTheWoods wrote:Last night, a pedestrian on the wrong side of a *cycle-only* path adjacent to a ped only path made a shoulder-check type motion towards me as I was going past...
This would have elicited an emphatic response... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 pm

I've never been pushed or shoulder checked by a pedestrian until a few months ago. When a motorist got out of his car to assault me. :roll:

It is easier than your think to stay upright. Also the more you flinch the more you are vulnerable.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 pm

human909 wrote:I've never been pushed or shoulder checked by a pedestrian until a few months ago. When a motorist got out of his car to assault me. :roll:

It is easier than your think to stay upright. Also the more you flinch the more you are vulnerable.
you take the punch, no matter how much it hurts, smile and reciprocate with a minimum of 2 blows. The smile gives you a fraction of a second to act while their brain is absorbing the "oh crap why is he smiling"

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 pm

I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:38 pm

human909 wrote:I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.
Hear hear, that's what the Zefal HPx is for...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Last night, a pedestrian on the wrong side of a *cycle-only* path adjacent to a ped only path made a shoulder-check type motion towards me as I was going past...
This would have elicited an emphatic response... :oops:
To be more clear, it was more a threat than an actual attempt to make contact.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 am

After that I gave an oncoming roadie with no lights a fright by going into his lane to hang a 180 degree turn. No risk of collision as I was out of the way before he got to the same spot, or I wouldn't have done it, but gave him a fright and I suggested he get some lights. Maybe he'll listen :roll:

Day before, I saw somebody flying down beside the botanical gardens at Coot-tha at ~60kmh, in the dark, with no lights. I'm worried enough about getting pulled out on there in daylight, let along at night with no lights.
This is the sort of behaviour that gives cyclists a bad name.

Stop playing games and ride with care. Going into someone else's lane to give them a fright is very stupid. Wait for them to pass first.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:28 am

g-boaf wrote: This is the sort of behaviour that gives cyclists a bad name.

Stop playing games and ride with care. Going into someone else's lane to give them a fright is very stupid. Wait for them to pass first.
I know I know, maybe I shouldn't have done it. But keep in mind that the other rider didn't need to brake or change direction and I was well out of his way by the time he got to the same spot. He would have just wondered why I was approaching him on the wrong side (and was probably well aware that he was practically invisible on a dark path with no lights).

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 am

had an argument with 2 runners going over the Inner City Bypass via the bike-only path
The suggested I should read. I suggested they should do the same.
:roll:

maybe it's time I call BCC or the police over this one. someone is going to get hurt.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:04 am

I am the dumb cyclist, shaved my legs last night for the first time not involving a surgeon :roll: - all I have achieved is chicken legs- and I am commuting today- the shame..

Oh carp and a group ride tomorrow. :oops:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am

Don't worry - you are in fine company. :lol: Mine don't have their covering any more either.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:25 am

CXCommuter wrote:I am the dumb cyclist, shaved my legs last night for the first time not involving a surgeon :roll: - all I have achieved is chicken legs- and I am commuting today- the shame..

I did that 12 months ago today, unfortunately my skin had reacted badly to shaving and to this day I still get a really dry itchy leg. It only happened on one side (which I think I used Veet and a razor).

So i'm a bit nervous about trying it again lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:29 am

human909 wrote:I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.
A very good life skill to stick with in my humble opinion... :)
OI onya bike!!!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

adrian_d wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:I am the dumb cyclist, shaved my legs last night for the first time not involving a surgeon :roll: - all I have achieved is chicken legs- and I am commuting today- the shame..

I did that 12 months ago today, unfortunately my skin had reacted badly to shaving and to this day I still get a really dry itchy leg. It only happened on one side (which I think I used Veet and a razor).

So i'm a bit nervous about trying it again lol
The other issue where do you stop when heading north- SWMBO stated it made my butt look even hairier than before which I thought couldn't be achieved.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 pm

I shaved my legs for the first time the other day. They looked so great I sent a mate a couple mms saying "How about these legs? Do they turn you on? Well it shouldn't. Because that's my legs".

For those that might not be into Family Guy this should explain the reference more.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Spied a chap on nice looking spesh Tarmac in full Leopard trek gear on Port melb Light rail bike path today who had his helmet clipped to his stem. :shock: > I can undertsand if was going from the team bus to the start line.
Must be very fragile parts on his spesh. :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 pm

borrowed a mates jaycar camera. got 2 dumb pedestrians tonight:

bridge over the inner city bypass - one path is bike only. continuous problem of pedestrians using it

man coming out of subaru (toowong) not watching where he's going. took a few yells

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
A very good life skill to stick with in my humble opinion... :)
I've never thrown a punch in anger either, only at the punching bags at the gym. I'm sure in self defence i'll come to the party though (or learn to run really fast away lol)
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 pm

To the cyclist on the Pacific Hwy, Gore Hill you give us all a bad name. Drivers had been given this roadie the required space and overtaking when safe. We then get stopped at the pedestrian lights near the TAFE, and this clown rolls through the lights making all these drivers overtake him again. That's not really the issue - it's going through the red light. I was in my car this morning, and I was in the right lane at the front. I didn't slow to witness if the motorists attitude towards him when they caught him again changed.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am

Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.
OI onya bike!!!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 am

Gordonhooker wrote:Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.
There is someone on here that argues that all 'bicycle lanes' in QLD are not legally bicycle lanes as cars are allowed to park in them so bicycles don't have to ride in them. Of course, I know nothing about QLD or this road and have no idea of the actual place and circumstances so am not saying you are incorrect in the above assumption of bad behaviour of the cyclists.

To the rider last night who thought he could preempt the light on the corner of Hoddle and Albert (it is a 3 lane road each way) and ended up waiting in the middle of the intersection prior to the lights changing - also not a good look for you in the eyes of the motorists waiting for the lights to turn green. Not to mention you didn't get that much further as I passed you 100m up the road (unfortunately the lights conspired against me so you passed me again as I was getting back up to speed).

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am

Gordonhooker wrote:Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.
I'm presuming this has changed since google street view went through because all I can see is a road shoulder? Got a photo of the place?

I've never seen an "ALL BICYCLES" sign before. There's no such sign in Schedule 2 of the qld road rules, the closest I can find is a "No bicycles" sign! I have not fully research rules 315 and 316 and thereabouts but a brief read leads me to believe that as there's no such thing as an all bicycles sign, it doesn't really apply.
315 Legal effect of traffic control devices
(1) A traffic control device of a kind mentioned in this regulation
has effect for this regulation if—
(a) the device is on a road; and
(b) the device complies substantially with this regulation.
(2) A traffic control device is taken to comply substantially with
this regulation unless the contrary is proved.
(b) does not seem to be met in this case as the sign is not listed, nor is anything like it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 am

InTheWoods wrote:I've never seen an "ALL BICYCLES" sign before.