The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

fat and old

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby fat and old » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Pulled onto the dedicated bike path along Beach Rd for a dunny stop. Old Fella using it as a footpath yelled at me to use the £#{*ing road. :lol: Angry, angry man. Reminded me of Sideshow Raheem :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm guessing you politely informed him of his mistake? :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:13 pm

fat and old wrote:Pulled onto the dedicated bike path along Beach Rd for a dunny stop. Old Fella using it as a footpath yelled at me to use the £#{*ing road. :lol: Angry, angry man. Reminded me of Sideshow Raheem :lol:
Is it really a dedicated bike path? I thought even those were covered in unicorn poo.

Cheers,

Cameron

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 am

ironhanglider wrote:
fat and old wrote:Pulled onto the dedicated bike path along Beach Rd for a dunny stop. Old Fella using it as a footpath yelled at me to use the £#{*ing road. :lol: Angry, angry man. Reminded me of Sideshow Raheem :lol:
Is it really a dedicated bike path? I thought even those were covered in unicorn poo.

Cheers,

Cameron
Yep, one of only two in Metro Melb. Ped path runs parallel. Becomes a shared path further south than I was.

I just laughed and pointed at him. Enraged him further :lol:

Edit: there were a few other peds using/along it, near St. Kilda. Topless sunbathing backpacker types. No real issues there :lol:

No_Jedi

Postby No_Jedi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Pedestrian tried to cross three lanes between stopped traffic this morning and pulled up just in time at the bike lane as I was coming through - a Doppler-shifted "Idiooooot!" was his warning/abuse/cautionary tale.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 am

A bit on the food delivery riders:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer ... v99nu.html

Sham contracting, riders going the wrong way on one way streets, etc. sackings via text message too.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:05 pm

g-boaf wrote:A bit on the food delivery riders:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer ... v99nu.html

Sham contracting, riders going the wrong way on one way streets, etc. sackings via text message too.
Yep the sharks are circling & the disrupters are about to become the disrupted.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:23 pm

3 cyclists, 2 in shop jerseys, ridijg up footpath, quickly over a pedestrian crossing, onto other footpath and onto a different road all without givong way or even looking for traffic at 5 dock this morning. Good thing drivers were avoiding hitting you no matter how badly you rode.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Food delivery rider going down Bridge Street at speed, standing out of the saddle, hands on the bar tops, nowhere near the brakes - and making a left turn. Given pedestrians usually just cross the road without watching, you'd think it'd be wise to cover the brakes. If someone had rushed out, the rider would have been skidding along the road..

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 pm

That'd be the bloke staggering along the bike path, making sure he & his mate are wide enough apart to block most of the path & then taking up the rest by recklessly swinging his umbrella around like he was Gene Kelly.

Thought I would check if google maps had been updated to show the bicycles only signs. Not only that, but it included a couple of peds, walking on the path, one for each side :roll:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:30 pm

find_bruce wrote:That'd be the bloke staggering along the bike path, making sure he & his mate are wide enough apart to block most of the path & then taking up the rest by recklessly swinging his umbrella around like he was Gene Kelly.

Thought I would check if google maps had been updated to show the bicycles only signs. Not only that, but it included a couple of peds, walking on the path, one for each side :roll:
Putting aside the obvious dumb pedestrian issue - the question for me is why is that a bicycles only path?
Looks like relocated bike lanes maybe? Not being familiar with the area, just looking at Street View

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 pm

wellington_street wrote:
find_bruce wrote:That'd be the bloke staggering along the bike path, making sure he & his mate are wide enough apart to block most of the path & then taking up the rest by recklessly swinging his umbrella around like he was Gene Kelly.

Putting aside the obvious dumb pedestrian issue - the question for me is why is that a bicycles only path?
Looks like relocated bike lanes maybe? Not being familiar with the area, just looking at Street View
Used to be a bicycle lane in each direction which were replaced by a bi-directional cycleway.

No need for a footpath on that side of the road as (1) there is nothing for pedestrians on that side of the road, it runs between 2 light rail stations & (2) there is a footpath on the other side of the road for connecting with Darling Harbour. IIRC, prior to the Darling Harbour redevelopment there was no footpath on that side of the road & there is no footpath after the light rail station.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:41 pm

From 7News, Dumb Domino pizza food delivery rider rode thru Eastern Distributor tunnel and rode with no lights.

If caught, he will be fined $255 and what about the extra fines for not having lights too....
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:From 7News, Dumb Domino pizza food delivery rider rode thru Eastern Distributor tunnel and rode with no lights.

If caught, he will be fined $255 and what about the extra fines for not having lights too....
You'd think that taking such a high risk route to deliver a pizza it would at least be a decent one.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 pm

biker jk wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:From 7News, Dumb Domino pizza food delivery rider rode thru Eastern Distributor tunnel and rode with no lights.

You'd think that taking such a high risk route to deliver a pizza it would at least be a decent one.
The morons are terrorising our footpaths at the moment, obviously they care about OH&S. The next one that dings me whilst walking will need to fart to ding their bell in the future.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Professional road users.
Paid piecework rates...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:19 pm

A fella on one of those electric scooter things with pedals yesty.....not a moron (I think).....but dressed as per Village People's Leather man complete with handlebar mo and nazi helmet. I had to laugh :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:31 pm

:lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:13 pm

If anyone here is an investigative journalist (or knows one) then here is a truly shocking story to follow up on.

Millions of Australians with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities are being locked up in secret institutions throughout the country for 364 days per year. Allowed out only on Easter Sunday, to wander on shared paths and cycleways. :P

Ok I just made that up. But anyone out riding today could probably be forgiven for thinking it's true. Well at least in the Newcastle area anyway.

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Cheers to the bloke riding the wrong way in the bike lane on Youngs Crossing Road in the dark with no lights or reflectors.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 am

Former Team Sky and Great Britain rider Jonathan Tiernan-Locke found to be over the drink-drive limit in November 2016
Jonathan Tiernan-Locke has been handed a 41-month ban from driving after admitting to exceeding the drink-drive alcohol limit in November 2016.

In addition to the driving ban, Tiernan-Locke has to pay a fine and costs totalling £315.

The 32-year-old from Plymouth was previously given a driving ban in July 2015 after being found to be over the drink-drive limit in April that year.

Tiernan-Locke was signed by Team Sky for the 2013 season, but was ejected from the British WorldTour team in 2014 after being handed a two-year suspension from competition for biological passport anomalies after a test taken prior to the 2012 World Championships. At the time, Tiernan-Locke blamed the anomaly on a binge-drinking session.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... mit-326660

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 am

Off to dawn service this morning so it was dark. Two cruiser bikes in front of two of us, with what looked like a torch dropped into the basket to light their way. They both moved aside and as I passed and said good morning the reply was 'no bell' I'm sure, but didn't hear it clearly despite it being repeated. I didn't think it was necessary as a) my and my riding partners bright lights gave them notice there was someone behind and b) they moved over when they noticed said lights approaching. If they hadnt moved over, I probably would have used my bell.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Not really cycling related but certainly comes under the category of dumb pedestrians

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/wes ... vro2x.html

West Ryde Plaza's Origami Horses sculpture to be taken down because peds keep walking into them.

The Origami Horses sculpture in the pedestrian mall adjoining West Ryde Plaza is set to be relocated after months of being barricaded.

The plan follows a handful of pedestrians being injured by walking into the sculpture.

"I was having a discussion with a number of businessmen at the plaza and they were expressing concerns about a number of things, including the horse sculptures," the mayor of Ryde, Bill Pickering, said.

"While having that discussion someone had walked into it and split his head open."

The man in his 70s required stitches to his forehead following the collision with one of the three horses - which range from three metres to 5.5m tall - while walking and talking with a friend at the end of last year.
:!:
"People just don't take notice anymore – they're looking down at their phones and things like that," Cr Pickering said.
:evil:
"I don't necessarily agree with the majority decision, as I feel there are probably more people who walk into power poles and trees all the time, or trip over footpaths," another councillor, Justin Li, said. "For as long as there are people, there will be people who walk into things – I don't think we can always bubble wrap everything."
:roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Horses with more than a spattering of orange and people still walk into them in clear daylight...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

redned

Postby redned » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 am

Mulger bill wrote:Horses with more than a spattering of orange and people still walk into them in clear daylight...
Origami horse statues should need to be registered