The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

AdelaidePeter

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 am

P!N20 wrote:I was more amused by the 'no trucks' sign on the left!

Although the bottom half of the sign is obscured, so maybe it's no left turn for trucks.
Correct. Pause the video soon after the truck first moves (around 0:26) and you'll see.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 am

pj wrote:Maybe I'm just really risk adverse but I thought this was pretty dumb....

personally I wouldn't go up the side of any truck .......and if you had to list truck types to keep a very close watch on skip trucks would be top of the list for me closely followed by scaffolders and garbage trucks and since moving to melbourne catering suppliers

at 27 secs you can see how narrow the gap was and then you see them held up by crossing peds' anyway def' dumb

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:

Although the bottom half of the sign is obscured, so maybe it's no left turn for trucks.
Correct. Pause the video soon after the truck first moves (around 0:26) and you'll see.
Just because there is a no left turn for trucks sign and the truck not displaying an indicator doesn't mean that the truck wouldn't turn left
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

pj

Postby pj » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:

Just because there is a no left turn for trucks sign and the truck not displaying an indicator doesn't mean that the truck wouldn't turn left
Yes exactly this is Sydney!

The space between the truck and kerb isn't very visible with the wide angle lens, it was pretty tight. The rider had to lean his bike to get past the back corner of the truck. I would definitely not want to be caught up the side when the lights went green, even with the truck travelling straight ahead there would be a high chance of getting clipped. Yes he had 10-15 seconds but why risk it with your kid on the back.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:25 pm

^^MGIF!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:08 pm

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:39 pm

^ Glad you're OK.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Glad you're OK.
Not a biggy, still be the most intelligent way to ride

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 pm

pj wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Yes exactly this is Sydney!
or maybe the truck has a permit to drive down that route.

Either way - incredibly Darwinian to ride down next to a truck like that.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 pm

pj

Postby pj » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 pm

jasonc wrote:

Can't see anyone, even on full screen!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 pm

pj wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Can't see anyone, even on full screen!
Even doing levels adjustment in photoshop, I couldn't see anyone. See, this is why pedestrians need registration and lights. :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

They were wearing dark clothes. On a bike only path. But it's ok, cyclists are the problem

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm

I have only picked someone up in that area because they were sucking on a ciggy. Thought it was a firefly for a bit
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Worst one I've seen (or haven't seen). Just crazy

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

g-boaf wrote: See, this is why pedestrians need registration and lights. :wink:
I've been tempted to throw my emergency backup taillight at a few and tell them to clip it on their bum.

Would be good to have "Be a bright spark, wear reflective and carry a light" on safety signs along paths.
The iron on reflective tape is cheap and doesn't take much to glow with the slightest light and USB flashers are $2

I'm not sure what the thought process is for someone who decides "I'm going walking on the path tonight, think I will wear my all black hoodie tracksuit outfit because ninjas are cool"

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 am

Jmuzz wrote:I'm not sure what the thought process is for someone who decides "I'm going walking on the path tonight, think I will wear my all black hoodie tracksuit outfit because ninjas are cool"
they don't do the word I bolded

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
g-boaf wrote: See, this is why pedestrians need registration and lights. :wink:
I've been tempted to throw my emergency backup taillight at a few and tell them to clip it on their bum.

Would be good to have "Be a bright spark, wear reflective and carry a light" on safety signs along paths.
The iron on reflective tape is cheap and doesn't take much to glow with the slightest light and USB flashers are $2

I'm not sure what the thought process is for someone who decides "I'm going walking on the path tonight, think I will wear my all black hoodie tracksuit outfit because ninjas are cool"
I saw a woman walking along a dark bikepath one night, dressed in darkish business clothes. However, she was carrying her mobile phone with the screen illuminated, swinging in her hand, which made her sufficiently visible. For someone walking along a short section of unlit path I thought that it was a pretty good solution.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:10 am

Me

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Yes, unlit peds are the worst on shared paths. I've had a few near misses. I don't ride fast, but I might be going 3 or 4 times the speed of a ped and if we collide it's going to hurt both of us. Sometimes I only see them because they have runners with reflective bits on them. Some are good (usually the joggers) and have small blinkie light attached to them somewhere or a headlamp. Some dog walkers attach a red blinkie to the dog's collar. I saw a cyclist the other day with both a red and white rear facing blinkie lights. Guess they are better than not having any lights, it was only on a shared path so shouldn't cause any issues for motorists.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Ross wrote:<snip>I saw a cyclist the other day with both a red and white rear facing blinkie lights</snip>
I guess the rear facing white light helped drown out the glow from their mobile phone on their face
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:10 am

Last Thursday afternoon I was cycling the Gardiners Creek Trail but going towards the city while everyone else was riding home. Something like 30% of riders had no lights even though it was after sunset and rapidly getting dark. :shock:

Another 10% or more were whacky racing and overtaking people without any consideration for oncoming riders (ie me). :evil:

BJL

Postby BJL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Guess I have to play devil's advocate yet again.

Jasonc, Maybe I'm not seeing the video properly but from what I can see, you're the blame for not being able to see the pedestrian because of your poor lighting. At night time, you wouldn't be able to see a pedestrian wearing bright yellow with that crappy light. It's YOUR responsibility to have decent lighting when riding at night and also your responsibility to be able to safely stop within your range of vision.

Same for the rest of you.

Ultimately, more vulnerable road (and shared path) users should have a higher priority than lower vulnerable users. We expect it from motorists (not that we get it) and we've all heard too many 'Sorry mate I didn't see you' stories and the same goes with cyclists and pedestrians.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:40 pm

BJL wrote:Guess I have to play devil's advocate yet again.

Jasonc, Maybe I'm not seeing the video properly but from what I can see, you're the blame for not being able to see the pedestrian because of your poor lighting. At night time, you wouldn't be able to see a pedestrian wearing bright yellow with that crappy light. It's YOUR responsibility to have decent lighting when riding at night and also your responsibility to be able to safely stop within your range of vision.

Ultimately, more vulnerable road (and shared path) users should have a higher priority than lower vulnerable users. We expect it from motorists (not that we get it) and we've all heard too many 'Sorry mate I didn't see you' stories and the same goes with cyclists and pedestrians.
If that is a shared path, I agree with you: cyclists always give way to pedestrians on shared paths, no exceptions.

But Jason said it was a cyclist-only path. Perhaps Jason should have had a brighter light also, but any pedestrian walking unlit on a cyclist-only path at night certainly qualifies for "The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread" in my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:46 pm

BJL wrote:Guess I have to play devil's advocate yet again.

It's a bike only path with a ninja ped on it. Jason's light is fine. The devil is in the detail advocate. :roll: