The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Bjl - it's 100% bike only. The person was wearing black/dark clothing on a bike only path

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:02 pm

hamishm wrote:Last Thursday afternoon I was cycling the Gardiners Creek Trail but going towards the city while everyone else was riding home. Something like 30% of riders had no lights even though it was after sunset and rapidly getting dark. :shock:

Another 10% or more were whacky racing and overtaking people without any consideration for oncoming riders (ie me). :evil:
Sounds about right. 10% of the general population just don't care about anyone else and no rule or fine will change their ways and 30%-40% just forgetful, careless, preoccupied etc, always was, is and will be. :wink:

BJL

Postby BJL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:09 pm

biker jk wrote:
BJL wrote:Guess I have to play devil's advocate yet again.

Jasonc, Maybe I'm not seeing the video properly but from what I can see, you're the blame for not being able to see the pedestrian because of your poor lighting. At night time, you wouldn't be able to see a pedestrian wearing bright yellow with that crappy light. It's YOUR responsibility to have decent lighting when riding at night and also your responsibility to be able to safely stop within your range of vision.

Same for the rest of you.

Ultimately, more vulnerable road (and shared path) users should have a higher priority than lower vulnerable users. We expect it from motorists (not that we get it) and we've all heard too many 'Sorry mate I didn't see you' stories and the same goes with cyclists and pedestrians.
It's a bike only path with a ninja ped on it. Jason's light is fine. The devil is in the detail advocate. :roll:
Roll your eyes all you want (I'm getting used to it around here). I didn't know the path was for bikes only. I guess I didn't read the entire post properly. My fault (apologies to JasonC in this regard). But even so, the beam from Jason's light looks like it shows such a small part of the path that I'm surprised he can even follow the path and just because you're on a bike only path doesn't mean you can rest on your laurels and assume that the unexpected won't happen. Pedestrians are still allowed to cross such paths and being able to stop within your range of vision is a necessity.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Bjl - western fwy bike way in Brisbane. Look it up. Anywhere there is a pedestrian crossing is well lit so you can see the ninjas
And you have to remember, the video is only showing what it can see. The human eye can see more

BJL

Postby BJL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:37 pm

jasonc wrote:Bjl - western fwy bike way in Brisbane. Look it up. Anywhere there is a pedestrian crossing is well lit so you can see the ninjas
And you have to remember, the video is only showing what it can see. The human eye can see more
Okay, let's get to the crux to this. If this is just about a pedestrian walking along a bike only path, the you're completely correct except that I won't stray from the fact that you shouldn't ever be complacent and you should always be able to stop within your range of vision. To your credit, you didn't hit the pedestrian.

If it's about the clothing of the pedestrian ('ninja' references), then I'll say I often walk at night in dark coloured clothing and I make NO apologies for that. Wearing light coloured clothing does nothing at night. Only reflective clothing and/or lights will make a difference at night. If you're on a bicycle or in a motor vehicle, you have lights and you should be able to see me.

What colour is asphalt? Most of the shared paths in my area are also devoid of line markings too. If I can see the asphalt path, I can see pedestrians wearing dark clothing.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:47 pm

Colour makes a huge difference since it is lit up by headlight against black background.

Black on Black is still black.
Black reflects very little light back at the eye, which is why it is black. Every other colour is reflecting light and making the object stand out against the background.

Retro Reflective is far better than all of course, including the magic 3M black stuff which reflects silver.
And an active light can make you visible even beyond line of sight and over km's of distance.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Bjl - I'm ok with you wearing black. No problem at all. I would do it too. But no way in hell would I be on a bike only path wearing black

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 am

BJL wrote: being able to stop within your range of vision is a necessity.
Half that is more like it.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 am

jasonc wrote:
Me
I will pay that. :)

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm

8 months jail for hooning down shared cycle path on a stolen postie bike.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/wha ... d-pathway/

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Triple treat this evening!
First, a guy reading his phone while he rode on a share path. Admittedly he was going very slow, but he had drifted all the way to his right, so if I had been silly enough to do the same as I rode towards him, we would have (very slowly) crashed head on.
Then, it's Royal Adelaide Show week, so there is a "cyclists dismount" sign at the place where a major share path crosses the busy pedestrian path from the show entrance to the train station. But two cyclists ignored the sign and rode through - I guess they couldn't afford to lose 10 seconds.

PA

Postby PA » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:03 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Triple treat this evening!
I guess they couldn't afford to lose 10 seconds.
Not when you are going for the KOM.
Mouse magnet

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:...so there is a "cyclists dismount" sign...
God I hate those signs. What's wrong with "slow down" or "give way to pedestrians"?

Anyone know if they are legally enforceable or just an advisory?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:24 am

Biffidus wrote:
God I hate those signs. What's wrong with "slow down" or "give way to pedestrians"?

cyclist dismount is only an advisory. gave way to peds i'd suggest is a given

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 am

Biffidus wrote:

Haven't checked WA, but elsewhere there is no road rule requiring a cyclist to dismount nor is it in the list of road signs. The only way I can see you committing an offence is if cycling is prohibited past that point by some other law, such as in NSW it becomes a footpath

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Biffidus wrote:

I'm too lazy (and legally incompetent) to look up the legislation, but the "Cycling and the Law" booklet https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... ooklet.pdf provides for "No cycling" signs, but that appears to be a specific sign type, not the "cyclists dismount" sign they have outside The Show.

Perhaps "slow down" doesn't work? A previous year there were no signs, but a cop telling us to dismount. It is also quite a blind corner (because there's a marquee set up, this is the Adelaide Showground Railway Station entrance), so you can't safely go much faster than walking pace anyway.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Someone let a herd of goats onto shared path

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:00 am

Had similar to that on Friday. About 50 people coming up the path. I nearly ended up clipping the railing on the left because they had no idea about leaving some space on the left for oncoming path sharers. For context I was on a ‘smell the roses’ ride and enjoying the scenery so was travelling pretty slow and it certainly didn’t ruin the vibe, just an eye roll moment.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm

In the car yesterday, turning right at t-intersection onto a main road.

Looking right i see a cyclist riding along the foot path ( at a decent pace as it was a bit of a downhill) towards me, because of my position i was blocking him and he would had have to slow down and go behind me to continue on.

Instead, without slowing down, he leaves the foot path and jumps onto the road well within a meter of a vehicle that was occupying the lane!

i shook my head at him as he made eye contact with me, just a stupid move.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Triple treat this evening!
First, a guy reading his phone while he rode on a share path. Admittedly he was going very slow, but he had drifted all the way to his right, so if I had been silly enough to do the same as I rode towards him, we would have (very slowly) crashed head on.
Then, it's Royal Adelaide Show week, so there is a "cyclists dismount" sign at the place where a major share path crosses the busy pedestrian path from the show entrance to the train station. But two cyclists ignored the sign and rode through - I guess they couldn't afford to lose 10 seconds.
problem with cyclist dismount signs is that they are both random and ubiquitous - a very lazy solution to what often isn't a problem ...as to the above situation a "cyclists slow" sign would suffice and I've seen temporary bollards used to create approach chicanes to good effect (though those that commute at night might not like that suggestion)

after reading the above this was the first one I saw....presumably to allow polo shirt clad golfists to speedily access their clubhouse carpark...whilst giving way to cyclists crossing on foot as required by law ?

PS the shared path continues underneath the blue ute "cyclists dismount and tunnel" ?

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:16 pm

antigee wrote:problem with cyclist dismount signs is that they are both random and ubiquitous - a very lazy solution to what often isn't a problem
Agreed. As well as being used where no issue exists they are also frequently used where dismounting exacerbates the issue. For example when the path narrows due to construction works or other reasons. A dismounted cyclist is wider than a mounted cyclist.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 pm

human909 wrote:
antigee wrote:problem with cyclist dismount signs is that they are both random and ubiquitous - a very lazy solution to what often isn't a problem
Agreed. As well as being used where no issue exists they are also frequently used where dismounting exacerbates the issue. For example when the path narrows due to construction works or other reasons. A dismounted cyclist is wider than a mounted cyclist.
Maybe some councils over-use them. But if there's any place for them, it's at the entrance/exit of a major public event, which is the case I was talking about. It's just a bad look (and potentially dangerous) for cyclists to cycle across an entrance/exit used by many people, with a large proportion of small children; when it literally costs 10 seconds to get off and walk, and the event only runs for 1 week of the year.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
All I can see is the aftermath. What happened?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:28 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
jasonc wrote:
All I can see is the aftermath. What happened?
Person turned right without indicating. Person behind was overtaking at the time