The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

eldavo

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby eldavo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:14 am

trailgumby wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Just curious - what is the problem with tri-bars (which I used to use when I was still riding).
Actually tri-bars seem to me to be a bit less common than they used to be.
Brakes. Try getting to them in an emergency when you're on the tri-bars, and see what happens.
It's not unlike like driving a car with brake pedal in the passenger side footwell.
What are Fixies without brakes at tri-bike speeds like then? ;)
Does being dressed well in dark colours with a nice overcoat and stylish brimmed hat score higher? Bonus points for no lights, no bell riding a pretty bike?

Fixie rider cliche in Leederville, no brakes, no lights, dark fashion clothing and hat at speed around a bend with 2 pedestrian entries, an overpass entry, and a crossing from bus/train/PSP access that I'm on.

He locks up fixed rear wheel getting it sideways laying a big black line/arc with a puff of white smoke off the tyre. Very cool and dramatic, but didn't slow down much. Ends up pointing himself towards the oncoming traffic effectively getting around me with just poo in tight burgundy pants (or is that chocolate brown now?), no blood exchanged.

yellagonga

Postby yellagonga » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:51 am

hit my bike I hit your car http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2eb_1377596404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm

DavidS wrote:Hah, shared paths, I had a fair few pedestrians to deal with on the bike path tonight. I just don't understand why they want to use a path at the same time as bikes doing around 30KMh when it is a bike path and the pedestrian path is a few metres away.

DS
Soon your bike path will be a pedestrian shared path. :lol: :twisted:

zero

Postby zero » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 pm

eldavo wrote: .
fixie video
The dude didn't just magically appear, and believe it or not, people entering the path on a vehicle (ie you) have to give way to any path users (ie him).

and whats with designer myopia reaching the point where overpasses are built so badly that ground crossings are necessary almost underneath them.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:34 pm

fair point, my defense is he does look like a magician though! Where's my wallet gone...
Check the frames of the approach, where's Wally?
I love giving way to people, free bell ringing for all, slowed down and looked around making a good crack at it, but it's a little more difficult to indulge in my passion when:
- you're a knob wearing dark clothes after sunset on a bike without lights and do not slow down for blind bends or other traffic
- you expect that other traffic is arrested by your fashionable good looks and beautiful bike
- you expect that the world revolves around you and is ready to anticipate your magical moves fuelled by the magnificent mojo you are radiantly emitting

You can be pig headed and say you've got right of way so charge through intersections (where incidents occur the most). Doesn't make it right... or legal.
FYI if this were an incident, he'd have been riding a non-compliant bike in an accident without lights after sunset.
You then forfeit any recourse through state motor vehicle 3rd party insurance if you tangle with a registered motor vehicle.
If you seek damages from my 3rd party cycle insurance, they will not admit fault for the same reasons.
Recent local example? Search for bicycle here:
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editio ... /paper.pdf
Police said the road traffic code said cyclists had to have lights on their bikes when the Bureau of Meteorology says it is sunset.
Police said the sun had set on that Friday at 5.19pm.
“People should check when sunset happens before they start their travel,” an officer said.
“The woman can make an application for a copy of the witness statement.
“She is entitled to a copy of the crash report.”
An ambulance took the woman to hospital after the incident.
She had cuts and bruises and damaged teeth, bruised ribs and a cracked lower jaw.
Ironically I found that article referenced from this article, that also had some broken logic lacking any apparent experience in making some points:
https://www.bwa.org.au/bikes-and-riding/718/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For instance taking my example frames/footage, the pedestrian in white shirt is much higher contrast and visibility than anyone else on the other side of crossing. Common sense and experience would tell you that, you don't need to find evidence based research, but the BWA seems to be lacking on both fronts.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Eldavo, make all the excuses you want. You cut him off. You follow that up by blaming him!? Wow!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 pm

human909 wrote:Eldavo, make all the excuses you want. You cut him off. You follow that up by blaming him!? Wow!
I wasn't sure of the path rules so didn't comment, Eldavo it looked like you were the SMIDSY instigator in this video. It seems you zombied into the way of a path user. He probably feels you owe him a tyre with the huge flat spot he now has. But he's like whatever chill man, share the love. Not a raging war on Lycra louts.

On a similar tangent, a personal experience. Rode up the local, recently reopened hill, my wife who says hello or morning to everyone :roll: I wish she would concentrate on gears or breathing or something, she got elbow clipped by another rider overtaking so close while going uphill, a meter matters to everyone. Plenty of Zoolander faces out there too, not many even returning a cursory half hand lift (the low 5) She later commented, "wow, even cyclists hate cyclists". I think she might be onto something. Unfortunately... :(

zero

Postby zero » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Eldavo, you'll find that a magistrate in a claims court may not care that much what your insurance company thinks, if an event happens to come to his attention and coppers don't get to choose who is considered to have contributed negligence in a claims scenario either.

There is a general expectation that road vehicles be lit, but there is no expectation that joggers be lit, and he was moving in a place where joggers may be, at a speed not particularly far out of the envelope of a fast runner, and if any vaguely competent lawyer said that in a court of law, you'd probably be found to have contributed negligence in any accident with him on a sharepath under the prevailing lighting conditions if it were determined you failed to give way. I wouldn't count on decisions with fairly dissimilar scenarios acting as some sort of perfect precedent, and particularly when no cars are involved, as that impacts the biases you face dramatically.

I agree, substandard riding and lighting choices on his behalf too, though sweet hat and the real shame of the video, is that its not legal to ride in a hat like that.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 pm

I think Eldavo that you should have given way to him. Perhaps dismounted your bike and walked across or waited in the island section of the road for the other cyclist to be on his way.

I'd suggest taking down the video though... ;) or you might have a fixie rider after you for a new tyre.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:I think Eldavo that you should have given way to him. Perhaps dismounted your bike and walked across or waited in the island section of the road for the other cyclist to be on his way.

I'd suggest taking down the video though... ;) or you might have a fixie rider after you for a new tyre.
If it were me, I'd give him a brake lever and a caliper, free of charge :)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:41 pm

I wouldn't be a SMIDSY'ing, I'd be a WTFAUFT'ing, no zombie-ing or failing to look or slow or give due care and attention for the intersection on my part, so happy to meet him and exchange words.

I'm not out there to block his race line, but if you carry speed and don't have brakes or don't want to slow down to adjust your line, you have no lights, dark clothes, and not adjust for a multi-intersection on a bend... That's not sharing the path. Yes it is a shared path of some variety. His speed was well above a jogger, with no ability to slow or stop like a jogger could in that same distance.

Video is happy to stay, I've got no issue pointing out that you can't expect people to give way to you if you flaunt all the rules and don't choose to be seen, choose to share, or choose to ride on a bicycle that is able to slow down when it needs to =)

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Shoulda gone to specasavers, unless your cam is compensating for low light, its hardly dark.
He is even more visible on your still captures and clearly takes evasive action. I can also see your lights, you are clearly a conscious and law abiding rider, thank you. A pair of blinkys on the fixie may have changed everything or nothing. But from the other rider's opinion I doubt he sees it the same way. To me it's a brush off incident, you have both clearly had a scare, keep calm and carry on. :)

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Oh dear! :shock:

At least a SMIDSY is admitting their mistake in the incident. You seem to oblivious to your own mistake which is worse. (Sure the other rider might be riding fast, have no lights and limited braking. But that does not diminish your responsibilities to ride safely. Cutting somebody off it not riding safely!)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 pm

FAIR GAME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Opens popcorn*
(Personal opinion: Both in the wrong but nothing overall wrong to dwell about. Like stepping left of someone as they step right. You then step right and they step left. Annoying but then your on your way again. And you can tell that its starting to get dark because of the highlights in the video ie your blacks and whites as the camera tries to compensate)
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

3D popcorn, this must be tasty :)

That's right human909, I'm not apologetic for a rider who can’t slow down while at speed through an intersection on a bike without brakes.

Why did the chicken cross the road... because it was a fixed gear bike at speed without brakes and couldn't stop :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Eh. Still tastes like youre eating air :P

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 pm

human909 wrote:Oh dear! :shock:

At least a SMIDSY is admitting their mistake in the incident. You seem to oblivious to your own mistake which is worse. (Sure the other rider might be riding fast, have no lights and limited braking. But that does not diminish your responsibilities to ride safely. Cutting somebody off it not riding safely!)
Donoghue vs Stevenson.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

skull

Postby skull » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 pm

yellagonga wrote:hit my bike I hit your car http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2eb_1377596404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am happy with that outcome.

The car is dinged up and the d-bag from the car got knocked on his arse and doesn't look like he was getting back up. I think the bird may have even copped a slap in the face.

The only thing that I am not happy with was the bike getting damaged.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm

twizzle wrote:

Donoghue vs Stevenson.

Sent from my iThingy...
Ah yes, genesis of the ambulance chaser.

I note that due care and attention was given to the vehicle that could cause damage while it was not for the other vehicle or indeed the pedestrians forced to give way on a sharepath...

I also note a disturbing attitude to someone perceived as a member of a "different" tribe even tho' a member of the same species.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 pm

twizzle wrote:

Donoghue vs Stevenson.
Butterfield v Forrester is probably more apt.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 pm

London Boy wrote:
twizzle wrote:

Donoghue vs Stevenson.
How's about Manley v Alexander?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:14 pm

high_tea wrote:
London Boy wrote:
twizzle wrote: Donoghue vs Stevenson.
How's about Manley v Alexander?
Having run over a snake due to being distracted by some daft woman waving her hands at me in a bizarre attempt to warn me that a snake was on the path... I'm with the dissenting judges!

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am

Is citing case names the same as name calling or a 'see-how-far-I-can-pee' contest? Somehow the above feels like it. :wink:

Anyhoo, onto a dumb cyclist last night. On his electric tandem bicycle (back seat looked to be for a baby and/or child and it had a foot rest ledge presumably so the person in the back didn't get their feet caught in the rear wheel - child's seat was carrying this cyclist's bag at the time).

First off he pushes to the front of the cyclist queue at a set of lights (I was at the front). Okay. So I slot in behind him and cruise because I can't be bothered overtaking him just for him to overtake me at another set of lights. Anyway, he turns left at the end of a street (which has a Stop sign that he ignores) and as I turn left into the same street I see him turning right 20 metres up the road without indicating into a dead-end side street...

Right in front of a car that was going straight ahead who had to quickly brake so as not to hit him. I think the driver was shaken because they took a few seconds to start moving off again. And then this rider possibly sees that the street he has turned into is a dead end (it's not very long), so does a u-turn back out into the road he just came from, making the whole brown pants for the motorist moment a needless exercise. Very dumb.

EDIT: And for some photos (because all posts need pictures):

The bike in question:
Image and Image

Him turning in front of the car:

Oh yeah. I forgot that detail. He wasn't wearing a helmet either. Now, I don't overly care about that, but if you're going to stupidly turn in front of cars then you may want to wear protection.
Last edited by Summernight on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54 am

Summernight wrote:Is citing case names the same as name calling or a 'see-how-far-I-can-pee' contest? Somehow the above feels like it. :wink:
No its more like peeing in your pocket and looking around to see who else is doing it as well and getting the same warm feeling.

Now that its my turn, I don't agree with the dissenters on Manley V Alexander. If you see a danger that is so distracting that you can't watch where you are going, then a prudent and reasonable driver should brake.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Summernight wrote:Is citing case names the same as name calling or a 'see-how-far-I-can-pee' contest? Somehow the above feels like it. :wink:

Anyhoo, onto a dumb cyclist last night. On his electric tandem bicycle (back seat looked to be for a baby and/or child and it had a foot rest ledge presumably so the person in the back didn't get their feet caught in the rear wheel - child's seat was carrying this cyclist's bag at the time).
Surly big dummy fyi
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810