The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

K2

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby K2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:10 pm

wizardhat wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. A tradie in a rush just about merged into me after over taking me for no real reason (I was keeping up with traffic) so when I caught up to him at some lights I gave him an earful. But that's just going to make him even more of a tosser around cyclists judging from the swearing coming out his mouth as I rode off.
Nah, gotta agree with jules on this. It'd take a lot to make people like that any worse around cyclists. They are already at the dangerous end of the spectrum. Doesn't matter if their ignorance is the unobservant kind or the unthinking or uncaring.....how are children (or those with minds that have yet to develop much beyond that level) meant to learn if their mistakes pass unchallenged?

The trick, if there is one, is to let them know that their behaviour has not gone unnoticed with the minumum of fuss. There's little to be gained by attempting to engage them in a battle of wits, or even relying on that handy old crutch - logic. They are usually insufficently armed to participate. :)

Giving them an earful though, just places you in their playpen. Keep it short and sweet. If you're feeling polite, ask them if they could leave you a bit more room next time, or mention that you hope their insurance is up-to-date as they nearly killed you. Or if not, ask them if they've forgotten their "P" plates or something equally facetious. They'll get the message. You'll know because it'll likely still set them off, but in truth they're just vocalising what's been tormenting them the whole time they've been behind the wheel. You might just get lucky and the reminder could result in an apology.

I regularly ride a circuit around a local park. It's a quiet, one way loop that accesses the various carparking areas and then exits or folds back on itself. Nearly every time I'm down there some impatiant (bless their little flushed cheeks) will drive out the wrong way from the main carpark. If a boot camp type situation is breaking up there can be half a dozen following each other out the wrong way. Occassionally some bright spark will drive in the wrong way despite the rather obvious road configuration and the regular big white arrows highlighting their mistake.

Last week I passed a young hipster in a low slung nissan with sub box booming just as he was finishing off a lap around the wrong direction. Despite obviously wasting a lot of money on his vehicle, it was apparent it still required further funds as he found it necessary to hold his door closed with his right arm. As we approached each other I simply pointed to the big white arrow handily placed on the road surface facing him. It would have been the 5th or 6th similar sign he'd ignored on his merry way round. This action resulted in the young chap launching himself half out of his open window and screaming his face off with some unintelligible rubbish as he disappeared off into the distance. Job accomplished. No further action or acknowledgement necessary. There was no uncertainty about his actions going unnoticed and more importantly, no tacit approval of same (although strangely, I didn't utter a single word).

Be aware though, any confrontation, especially with someone who could be unbalanced and in control of a heavy/fast vehicle, carries risk. Pulling out into the middle of the above described road to stop a vehicle travelling the wrong way (as I've done on a few occassions) is not something I'd recommend doing. Unless you're built like a brick outhouse (I'm not), you need to pick your battles very carefully.

NB. This feels like it should be in the motorists thread but is meant to reassure the OP that they are not dumb...well, not necessarily. :)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:22 pm

K2 wrote:
wizardhat wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. A tradie in a rush just about merged into me after over taking me for no real reason (I was keeping up with traffic) so when I caught up to him at some lights I gave him an earful. But that's just going to make him even more of a tosser around cyclists judging from the swearing coming out his mouth as I rode off.
Nah, gotta agree with jules on this. It'd take a lot to make people like that any worse around cyclists. They are already at the dangerous end of the spectrum. Doesn't matter if their ignorance is the unobservant kind or the unthinking or uncaring.....how are children (or those with minds that have yet to develop much beyond that level) meant to learn if their mistakes pass unchallenged?

The trick, if there is one, is to let them know that their behaviour has not gone unnoticed with the minumum of fuss. There's little to be gained by attempting to engage them in a battle of wits, or even relying on that handy old crutch - logic. They are usually insufficently armed to participate. :)

Giving them an earful though, just places you in their playpen. Keep it short and sweet. If you're feeling polite, ask them if they could leave you a bit more room next time, or mention that you hope their insurance is up-to-date as they nearly killed you. Or if not, ask them if they've forgotten their "P" plates or something equally facetious. They'll get the message. You'll know because it'll likely still set them off, but in truth they're just vocalising what's been tormenting them the whole time they've been behind the wheel. You might just get lucky and the reminder could result in an apology.

I regularly ride a circuit around a local park. It's a quiet, one way loop that accesses the various carparking areas and then exits or folds back on itself. Nearly every time I'm down there some impatiant (bless their little flushed cheeks) will drive out the wrong way from the main carpark. If a boot camp type situation is breaking up there can be half a dozen following each other out the wrong way. Occassionally some bright spark will drive in the wrong way despite the rather obvious road configuration and the regular big white arrows highlighting their mistake.

Last week I passed a young hipster in a low slung nissan with sub box booming just as he was finishing off a lap around the wrong direction. Despite obviously wasting a lot of money on his vehicle, it was apparent it still required further funds as he found it necessary to hold his door closed with his right arm. As we approached each other I simply pointed to the big white arrow handily placed on the road surface facing him. It would have been the 5th or 6th similar sign he'd ignored on his merry way round. This action resulted in the young chap launching himself half out of his open window and screaming his face off with some unintelligible rubbish as he disappeared off into the distance. Job accomplished. No further action or acknowledgement necessary. There was no uncertainty about his actions going unnoticed and more importantly, no tacit approval of same (although strangely, I didn't utter a single word).

Be aware though, any confrontation, especially with someone who could be unbalanced and in control of a heavy/fast vehicle, carries risk. Pulling out into the middle of the above described road to stop a vehicle travelling the wrong way (as I've done on a few occassions) is not something I'd recommend doing. Unless you're built like a brick outhouse (I'm not), you need to pick your battles very carefully.

NB. This feels like it should be in the motorists thread but is meant to reassure the OP that they are not dumb...well, not necessarily. :)
I just might add I was a mechanic at one stage of my life and some of the weapons I found in peoples cars. Shot guns, home made Machetes ,steel bars and the old baseball bat. More common than one thinks even old frail men in their 80,s , There are a lot of unstable people out there ???

K2

Postby K2 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 am

Dragster1 wrote: I just might add I was a mechanic at one stage of my life and some of the weapons I found in peoples cars. Shot guns, home made Machetes ,steel bars and the old baseball bat. More common than one thinks even old frail men in their 80,s , There are a lot of unstable people out there ???
Heh. Yeah but you gotta kinda expect that being an army grease monkey. (Little joke)

Let's be kind and say there are a lot of people out there who won't view the world in the same way you do. (That'd be a general "you")

Fortunately, most folk, even most armed nutjobs (all bets are off if they're using mind altering substances), recognize the risks involved to themselves in escalating a situation to that level, especially when witnesses abound. I'd hazard that in the vast majority of situations they're almost always going to use their vehicle if anything. Afterall it's handy and they've already got form in many instances (usually the reason for the interaction), and as is regularly discussed on here, that is much more acceptable/understandable/forgivable (apparently), very unfortunately.

Also as jules indicated, they tend to feel safe behaving badly whilst locked in their bubble with the usually excellent chance of being able to avoid any repercussions. And they're usually happy to remain in that safety zone, even whilst its foundations are being rocked a little.

Again, cycling can be a risky business....as can venturing out your front door. Individuals need to assess how much more they are willing to accept themselves. (I'm not advocating that everyone should ride around with a World Police mentality. Just don't beat yourself up if you find yourself put at risk by someone else's actions and feel the need to (hopefully calmly) bring it to their attention.)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 pm

K2 wrote:
Dragster1 wrote: I just might add I was a mechanic at one stage of my life and some of the weapons I found in peoples cars. Shot guns, home made Machetes ,steel bars and the old baseball bat. More common than one thinks even old frail men in their 80,s , There are a lot of unstable people out there ???
Heh. Yeah but you gotta kinda expect that being an army grease monkey. (Little joke)

Let's be kind and say there are a lot of people out there who won't view the world in the same way you do. (That'd be a general "you")

Fortunately, most folk, even most armed nutjobs (all bets are off if they're using mind altering substances), recognize the risks involved to themselves in escalating a situation to that level, especially when witnesses abound. I'd hazard that in the vast majority of situations they're almost always going to use their vehicle if anything. Afterall it's handy and they've already got form in many instances (usually the reason for the interaction), and as is regularly discussed on here, that is much more acceptable/understandable/forgivable (apparently), very unfortunately.

Also as jules indicated, they tend to feel safe behaving badly whilst locked in their bubble with the usually excellent chance of being able to avoid any repercussions. And they're usually happy to remain in that safety zone, even whilst its foundations are being rocked a little.

Again, cycling can be a risky business....as can venturing out your front door. Individuals need to assess how much more they are willing to accept themselves. (I'm not advocating that everyone should ride around with a World Police mentality. Just don't beat yourself up if you find yourself put at risk by someone else's actions and feel the need to (hopefully calmly) bring it to their attention.)
I agree not everyone is out there to harm but there are some that will (and that is without using mind altering substances )http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6613846406

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I think this is my first foray into the dark learnings of the numpty ped thread!

Don't really have much bother on my commute, but this *person* had me a wee bit perplexed. Would he do this if I was driving a car?
Me thinks not.

zero

Postby zero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:28 pm

I can't possibly see why I'd care about that pedestrian, or why I'd call him a numpty. It is a nearly empty road, he could legitimately have struggled to determine your speed, because your speed would be something of an outlier, and it is hard to judge a cyclists speed from directly front on, and he probably expected you'd slow down more for the turn anyway, and there was like 3m of roadway behind him and you are on a ~45cm wide vehicle ?

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:35 pm

When someone crosses the road like that, they do it because they're a prick. He probably would have done the same thing to a car, i'm sure everyone has had a pedestrian cross in front of them while driving and they just stare straight at you and dawdle as slow as possible. (Not talking about at a crossing or set of lights or intersection, where they are under no obligation to run across, nor should they be)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Bah77 wrote:When someone crosses the road like that, they do it because they're a prick. He probably would have done the same thing to a car, i'm sure everyone has had a pedestrian cross in front of them while driving and they just stare straight at you and dawdle as slow as possible. (Not talking about at a crossing or set of lights or intersection, where they are under no obligation to run across, nor should they be)
Yuuuup.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Bah77 wrote:When someone crosses the road like that, they do it because they're a prick. He probably would have done the same thing to a car, i'm sure everyone has had a pedestrian cross in front of them while driving and they just stare straight at you and dawdle as slow as possible. (Not talking about at a crossing or set of lights or intersection, where they are under no obligation to run across, nor should they be)
Yuuuup.
+1 Without a doubt.

Andrew

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 am

When that happens its always best to do the safe thing, and avoid them by as far as you can.

A few choice words when leaving is enough to make them think twice next time.

Grejoh

Postby Grejoh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 am

Well they say confession is good for the soul, so I was the dumb cyclist this morning! I was riding on the Cunningham Highway and was about to cross over the ON merge lane. I did a very cursory head check to my left, mainly relying on listening for road noise, and then started to cross. Next thing I hear brakes being applied (not mine!), and then two motorbikes appear to my right. Apparently I didnt hear them or see them. To their very big credit, they pulled up ahead of me, and I thought I should too. Expecting to get an earful and a barrage of comments, they were more concerned about me than themselves. The leading rider was the one that took the most evasive action, and as told to me by the second rider, had only missed my rear wheel by inches! As they took their helmets off I expected to be berrated, and quite rightly so for my stupid actions, but they were very polite. I appologised very humbly for not doing a proper check and causing them any grief. They were very accepeting and said not to worry about it. As an ex-motorbike rider myself, I know I would have mouthed off at me! We dpearted company, and I went on my way. After his heart rate decreased the motorbike rider departed too, and as they passed me, gave a toot and waved. Nice guys. What did I learn? Make sure your head checks are full ones, and not cursory, especially where highway entry speeds are concerned! And if you cant do a full head check, then STOP! I am not going for any KOMs or speed! I just want to ride to keep fit AND stay alive! If I have to stop to check behind me, so be it! (gives oneself an upper cut for being an idiot!)
Last edited by Grejoh on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:06 am

zero wrote:I can't possibly see why I'd care about that pedestrian, or why I'd call him a numpty. It is a nearly empty road, he could legitimately have struggled to determine your speed, because your speed would be something of an outlier, and it is hard to judge a cyclists speed from directly front on, and he probably expected you'd slow down more for the turn anyway, and there was like 3m of roadway behind him and you are on a ~45cm wide vehicle ?
I'm inclined to agree. It was hardly worth the effort of posting. If we ever get nude streets then that sort of interaction will become the safe norm.

I'd be dropping it from my memory and focusing on the next issue up the road.
Hmmm. Sorta the same long bow that many motorists draw when they see a cyclist. I wouldn't be asserting strongly what "someone like that" "would have done" to a car. Nor that he is some sort of prick. I and you are not in a position to know that. Just as I wouldn't impune a cyclist bought down by an errant driver as being a red light runner who rides three abreast on busy roads.

Yes, no doubt about it. Peds as a class do fail to see what is in front of them. Not just a few here and there. I experience it every time I ride.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:51 am

Not really. Its a different category all together. I see it as him being a tool. I go through some sketchy parts of town and I've seen countless types of people doing the same thing as they try to be a prick and annoy everyone. As soon as you mouth off to them they want to start an argument or draw attention. They do it to cyclists, they do it to cars, they do it to motorbike riders, they do it do truck drivers and I've even seen one complete prick do it to a train. It's the same type of prick that walks down the middle of a road at 1am and when you honk your horn for them to get off the road they feel its necessary to turn around and start walking towards your car to start a fight. All options of him not being a prick went out the window when he chose to cross at the widest part of the road.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Not really. Its a different category all together. I see it as him being a tool. I go through some sketchy parts of town and I've seen countless types of people doing the same thing as they try to be a prick and annoy everyone. As soon as you mouth off to them they want to start an argument or draw attention. They do it to cyclists, they do it to cars, they do it to motorbike riders, they do it do truck drivers and I've even seen one complete prick do it to a train. It's the same type of prick that walks down the middle of a road at 1am and when you honk your horn for them to get off the road they feel its necessary to turn around and start walking towards your car to start a fight. All options of him not being a prick went out the window when he chose to cross at the widest part of the road.
And you can't see that by superimposing all those things from other peds - which you have also just done - to any case of what could and probably is just a bad (not seriously bad) error in judgement/spatial awareness etc? Just because he is a ped? One should be a little selective or we are the same as those that attack us in the same way.

The guy concerned is not "they". He is just a guy that probably simply got it wrong in a not too threatening situation. If he did the same in front of a heavy truck unable to stop or in a place with limited vision then maybe we can draw more solid conclusions but not in this case by any stretch.

Naaah. Anyone here denying that they make just as significant errors from time to time is in denial.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Well that's how I see it from the video. Personally its no different than labeling the two cyclists that I saw yesterday that ran a red light on a downhill T junction into the middle of turning traffic as pricks. Were they useless pricks? Yes. Does it make every cyclist a prick? No. Those 2 managed to qualify for the being a prick category and I even said a few choice words to them as I rode past them 60m later. The bloke was riding in the middle of the road and signaled he was turning right yet the ped decided to cross at the widest part of the road and exactly where the cyclist was turning. It would be understandable if he was riding on the left hand side of the road but he wasn't. When the cyclist got closer did he stop/take a few steps backwards to let the cyclist past or did he take a few extra quick steps forwards to get out of his path? He did neither. Just continued his slow waddle across the road. As the cyclist was right infront of him he turns and looks behind while in the middle of the other lane. That's what made him a prick. Not what others have done in the past. It was his actions.

That's how I see it. You might see if differently. Some will see it the same way I do. Others will see it the same way as you do.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes, definitely a pr**k. Just like the joggers running down the middle of the road towards me yelling expletives when I suggested they get off the road.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Well that's how I see it from the video. Personally its no different than labeling the two cyclists that I saw yesterday that ran a red light on a downhill T junction into the middle of turning traffic as pricks. Were they useless pricks? Yes. Does it make every cyclist a prick? No. Those 2 managed to qualify for the being a prick category and I even said a few choice words to them as I rode past them 60m later. The bloke was riding in the middle of the road and signaled he was turning right yet the ped decided to cross at the widest part of the road and exactly where the cyclist was turning. It would be understandable if he was riding on the left hand side of the road but he wasn't. When the cyclist got closer did he stop/take a few steps backwards to let the cyclist past or did he take a few extra quick steps forwards to get out of his path? He did neither. Just continued his slow waddle across the road. As the cyclist was right infront of him he turns and looks behind while in the middle of the other lane. That's what made him a prick. Not what others have done in the past. It was his actions.

That's how I see it. You might see if differently. Some will see it the same way I do. Others will see it the same way as you do.
Rewatched it a few times and I suspect you're right, it looked to me like he actually picked up his pace a bit before he got onto the road only to resume standard meander pace. The fact he crossed on the diagonal is pretty indicative of an anti B attitude too.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

One more vote for "just a prick".
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 pm

My commute cut short this morning :?

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Boognoss wrote:My commute cut short this morning :?
What was the cause? Are you ok? You were lucky no cars/trucks were in the lane.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm

biker jk wrote:
Boognoss wrote:My commute cut short this morning :?
What was the cause? Are you ok? You were lucky no cars/trucks were in the lane.
+1

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Now show 'em the pics of your knee Boogs :twisted:

Have you swapped out the bartape yet?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Just a few scrapes and sore non-scraped knee. Hit a small rock shaped piece of concrete with the front wheel and insta-flat. Didn't see it before I hit it I think mostly due to the angle of the sun. I can barely see it in the forward facing camera but much clearer with the rear cam.

The bike is fine! :lol: New bar tape and I retrued the front wheel today as it had a small dent in the rim.

I might still be too stiff to ride tomorrow but should be in the saddle by Thursday at least. I hate the bus to work.

MB I typed the above before your post popped up. Photos shortly :-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 pm

ouch - the before picture looks MUCH more speccy... :twisted:

sorry if I sound like a sicko! heal well.