The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
jasonc wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:There's no excuse for them responding like they did, though.
some people are too pro for lights. what they don't realise is lights are so people can see you, not so you can see
They're for both purposes.
Only question I got wrong when I got my licence was the fact that lights were for you to be seen

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:
jasonc wrote:
some people are too pro for lights. what they don't realise is lights are so people can see you, not so you can see
They're for both purposes.
Only question I got wrong when I got my licence was the fact that lights were for you to be seen
Never mind, ignore my previous comment. I was talking about bicycle lights, and the fact that sometimes cyclists do need them to see what's in front of them.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 pm

jasonc wrote:
Location looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Location looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it
Brisbane - western fwy bike way just before Witton rd

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 am

jasonc wrote:
mikesbytes wrote: Location looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it
Brisbane - western fwy bike way just before Witton rd
Got it totally wrong :oops:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Almost ran up the back of a ute yesterday. It's council cleanup, so the usual hunter gatherers were out in force. Had cause to ride bicycle within that arena and whilst following said ute down the hill. Then after turning left I was looking at one of the piles of treasure on the right while the ute slowed dramatically to look at another. Puckered, skidded, regained composure. Decided that kerbside treasures would have to wait lest myself and my bike become a find for the ute owner and ended up in his tray.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 am

Video from the United States shows the moment a cyclist who ignored warning signs as a bridge was opened to let a boat through fell into the gap between the roadway and the leaf of the bridge bring raised.

The incident happened on the Racine Street Bridge – a bascule bridge, similar to Tower Bridge in London – in Menasha, Wisconsin, following a Fourth of July firework display, reports wsaw.com(link is external).

Footage supplied by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation shows lights flashing as the gates are lowered ahead of the bridge being raised.

But the cyclist ignores them, pedalling through the gates, hitting them with her backpack as she does so.

Moments later, she falls into the gap. More than a minute later, people come to her aid, one checking her condition, another appearing to phone for help.

According to wsaw.com, the bridge was kept open until the cyclist, a 37-year-old woman, was taken to safety.

Police said that she was subsequently taken to hospital to be treated for facial injuries.
http://road.cc/content/news/245212-vide ... at-through

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Wow. That was an impressive display of stupidity.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Hmmm, there may sometimes be a case for allowing natural selection to take it's course. kidding of course/maybe...

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 pm

HenryCharlie wrote: Wow. That was an impressive display of stupidity.
Impressive display of riding while blind drunk it seems to me! But I'm only guessing.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am

HenryCharlie wrote:
Wow. That was an impressive display of stupidity.
Perhaps the most surprising thing is it was a 37 year old woman. It's the sort of stunt I'd expect a 16 year old boy to try ("I know everything, the rules don't apply to me, so long as this object does exactly what I think it will do, I'll be ok").

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:56 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:Perhaps the most surprising thing is it was a 37 year old woman. It's the sort of stunt I'd expect a 16 year old boy to try ("I know everything, the rules don't apply to me, so long as this object does exactly what I think it will do, I'll be ok").
That assessment is closer to what you would expect from people who normal functioning members of society. My guess is that this person had fallen through the cracks of society well before she fell through the crack in the road. Also very likely under the influence of drugs. Plenty of 37 year old women fit this mold, particularly in the US.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:33 pm

human909 wrote: My guess is that this person had fallen through the cracks of society well before she fell through the crack in the road.
What? Society is responsible for her well being? Without knowing any details about her at all this is it?

Without details, we disagree.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:31 pm

George HW Bush's former doctor gunned down by cyclist

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/h ... t/10022860

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Person riding an ebike whilst watching a tv show. I've now seen it all

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am

Hit the quinella within 500m today - the imbecile who crossed the road to join the bike path, completely obstructing the path, saved only by the fact that his stupidity was entirely predictable. The unpredictable stupidity was 500m earlier when the cyclist cruising along the left side of the path, decided he would prefer to be on the right, with no warning or even so much as a sideways glance, coupled with the offended look when I used the airzound for its intended purpose

pj

Postby pj » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Maybe I'm just really risk adverse but I thought this was pretty dumb....

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:03 pm

pj wrote:Maybe I'm just really risk adverse but I thought this was pretty dumb....
Ugh. And doubly dumb (and illegal) for doing it with a kid also on the bike.

My rule is to only filter if I know what the lights will do (and I won't be obstructing the vehicles I filter past). And filtering often saves very little time - in this case, it saved no time at all.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:45 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
pj wrote:Maybe I'm just really risk adverse but I thought this was pretty dumb....

My rule is to only filter if I know what the lights will do (and I won't be obstructing the vehicles I filter past). And filtering often saves very little time - in this case, it saved no time at all.
Nothing illegal about filtering on the left when a vehicle is not indicating a left turn, with or without a kid. Probably not something I would do, but that doesn't make it illegal.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:01 pm

find_bruce wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:

Nothing illegal about filtering on the left when a vehicle is not indicating a left turn, with or without a kid. Probably not something I would do, but that doesn't make it illegal.
The illegal part I was referring to was two people on a 1-seater bicycle. On second thoughts *maybe* that's a legal second seat, but it sure looks like the kid is sitting on the carrier.

Sully

Postby Sully » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Probably why it's the dumb thread and not the illegal thread.

pj

Postby pj » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 pm

On the positive side looks like the kid is having fun :D

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Doesn't seem 'dumb' at all.

Filtering on the left there was perfectly safe. The right turn arrow facing the opposing traffic meant no left turn from the truck in the next 10-15seconds. As far as the child on the bike, he arguably had a seat. Either way it is hardly dumb, a normal activity done across the globe.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 am

human909 wrote:Doesn't seem 'dumb' at all.

Filtering on the left there was perfectly safe. The right turn arrow facing the opposing traffic meant no left turn from the truck in the next 10-15seconds. As far as the child on the bike, he arguably had a seat. Either way it is hardly dumb, a normal activity done across the globe.
Fair point. Given the light sequence, and if the rider saw the right arrow turn green (in other words, he knew it wasn't going to go green circle in the next 5 seconds), then my initial reaction was wrong, and it's safe. Also not "doubly dumb" if it's not risky behaviour after all.

As for a child that size being there at all, I think safety wise the most important factor is not whether that's a seat or a carrier, but whether there is somewhere to put his or her feet, such as axle pegs. I think that bike might have them but I can't tell for sure.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am

I was more amused by the 'no trucks' sign on the left!

Although the bottom half of the sign is obscured, so maybe it's no left turn for trucks.

Also like the 'hey, check this out' look from the passenger.