The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lazyweek » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.
Lazyweek

by BNA » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 pm

BNA

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Lazyweek wrote:Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.

Did you die?
human909

Postby Lazyweek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 pm

human909 wrote:
Lazyweek wrote:Dumb cyclist - me.....haha. Claimed my lane and had good speed going down a hill then realised I forgot to clip my helmet on.

Did you die?

Still alive and well thanks :) No point having a helment on your head if it's not strapped on though. Don't feel comfortable with the idea of going 50 km/hr in traffic with no helmet. Cruising on quiet backstreets are another matter.
Lazyweek

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 pm

human909 wrote:

Did you die?

:lol:
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby Lazyweek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
human909 wrote:

Did you die?

:lol:

You guys obviously don't think I am dumb for forgetting to clip my helmet on. Should I be insulted :)
Lazyweek

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:58 pm

No we think you are dumb in thinking that a helmet will make the difference if you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic. :D

If you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic luck and the competence of surrounding traffic will pay a far bigger part in any positive outcome.
Percrime

Postby Lazyweek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Percrime wrote:No we think you are dumb in thinking that a helmet will make the difference if you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic. :D

If you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic luck and the competence of surrounding traffic will pay a far bigger part in any positive outcome.

Okay, I bought that one upon myself :) I was just having a light-hearted joke. I agree that a crash at that speed is not going to be pretty!
Lazyweek

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 am

Lazyweek wrote:
Percrime wrote:No we think you are dumb in thinking that a helmet will make the difference if you stuff up at 50 kph in traffic. :D

Okay, I bought that one upon myself :) I was just having a light-hearted joke. I agree that a crash at that speed is not going to be pretty!

It's not so much the speed as the other cars that will kill you :P

If only cars were illegal it would be so much safer to ride bikes/vellomobiles around. Or even if vehicles above ~800kg were banned then safety requirements for cars would be a lot less stringent and everyone could drive smaller, lighter and more efficient vehicles.
AndrewBurns

Postby Oxford » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

lets not have a stupid helmet argument, take it to where it should be and stop polluting this thread with sewage.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 am

more dog walking stupidity
jules21

Postby Oxford » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Oxford wrote:lets not have a stupid helmet argument, take it to where it should be and stop polluting this thread with sewage.

Just to clarify, that was not a shot at Lazyweek, those that should know better, should know better. Apologies to Lazyweek.

</cranky pants off>
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm

jules21 wrote:more dog walking stupidity

I always enjoyed those situations with the A-Z. :mrgreen:
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby beauyboy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 pm

OK riding home yesterday morning from doing my count at Bicentennial Bikeway, about to past the BCC Brisbane Square Bike Entrance heading towards the Botanic garden along the Bikeway. One bloke (on a Bike) is seeing off his mate at the Brisbane Square entrance. I slow down in case the said bloke rejoins the path without looking. I also move out to center of left lane for added safety. There is also a pedestrian heading towards me (on the otherside of path). This Obese (his BMI would of been over 30) lycra warrior in blue dangerously swings out past me then pulls back just in time for the pedestrian, but as he does this his mate a lycra warrior in white overtakes me on my left. :shock: WT? if I had of vered left in surprise I would of taken out the guy in white. Bloody Dangerous!
Well they weren't much of warriors anyway as soon as it was safe for me to open up I was on ther tails in 5 seconds. Then when they got to the Goodwill Bridge they moved around like browns cows! Idiots.

What is with some noobs that just have to overtake the guy in Jeans with Mudguards!
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby Percrime » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I blew away a roady one day up a hill. On my mates rusty girly mixte in shorts and tshirt. He appeared unhappy. :twisted:
Percrime

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Percrime wrote:I blew away a roady one day up a hill. On my mates rusty girly mixte in shorts and tshirt. He appeared unhappy. :twisted:

roadies always appear unhappy. he was on a recovery ride ;)
jules21

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Recently on the commute home approached a road crossing while on the cycle way. 3 riders stopped having a chat on the only point that there is no other way around, a quick little zig zag with fences either side. Rang the bell a couple of times (not obnoxiously I thought) and see them move a bit. As I get closer they decide that they are finished chatting and rather than move out of the way for me to pass old mate decides to start very slowly riding off in my direction and increases his blocking powers long enough that I almost stopped. If he had stayed put would have been less of a blockage.

No sense of how a bike rides from a Lycra warrior apparently out for a cruise. Thanks.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Surprised you were able to get traction up the slope in the second one, it looked like the path was covered in drool...

Was that north of the big ribcage on the Moonee Ponds Creek trail?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Surprised you were able to get traction up the slope in the second one, it looked like the path was covered in drool...

Was that north of the big ribcage on the Moonee Ponds Creek trail?

lol. no this was on the capital city trail(?) along merri ck in fitzroy/fairfield
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 pm

I see that and raise the stakes!

How about couple walking dog, husband walking the dogs in his lane of the path, while Mrs was pushing the stroller along the wrong side of the path... And it was a blind corner!!! Are they insane or what?

I could see the shadow of the guy with dogs and slowed down, but the mum with baby was an unwelcome surprise. What is wrong with keeping left on the path? Especially when it is a narrow bridge with no other place for anyone to go.
g-boaf

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 am

no pictures so it didn't happen g-boaf. :P
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby herzog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:49 am

g-boaf wrote:but the mum with baby was an unwelcome surprise. What is wrong with keeping left on the path?

It's a perception thing. You see it as a road, they see it as a footpath.
herzog

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 am

Thing is, it has clearly marked lines on it. :roll: I do my bit to stay in my lane, others should too. And that includes cyclists riding side-by-side, slowly!

Oxford: Don't have a camera on the bike yet. Unless I rig up a Nikon D3S or a D800e on the bike. :shock:
g-boaf

Postby Kraeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

I might have been a dumb cyclist the other day at a cross roads with 3 stop signs (ie; a U shape). I got to the bottom stop sign and stopped, indicating right. A car arrived at the stop sign to my left, then a car at the one to my right. No vehicle was approaching from the top non-stop road.
Then I got confused... who goes first? Do I because I got there first, and we leave in the same order? Or isn't it I give way to the vehicle to the right, the vehicle to my left gives way to me (as I am on their right), then they get to go? Neither of them were making a move so I did the right hand turn... but that's not right, is it?
Kraeg

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Kraeg wrote:I might have been a dumb cyclist the other day at a cross roads with 3 stop signs (ie; a U shape). I got to the bottom stop sign and stopped, indicating right. A car arrived at the stop sign to my left, then a car at the one to my right. No vehicle was approaching from the top non-stop road.
Then I got confused... who goes first? Do I because I got there first, and we leave in the same order? Or isn't it I give way to the vehicle to the right, the vehicle to my left gives way to me (as I am on their right), then they get to go? Neither of them were making a move so I did the right hand turn... but that's not right, is it?

Wow, where is this intersection - it sounds like 4 way stop signs in Canada & the US. Despite the common belief that you must give way to the right, that only applies at an "intersection without traffic lights or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line applying to the driver"

Technically road rule 67(3) requires you to "give way to a vehicle in, entering or approaching the intersection"

But & here is the rub, so do the other two vehicles & there is no order of precedence.
find_bruce

Postby Kraeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 pm

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=ultim ... Wales&z=21

I was coming from the left, turning right to the bottom of the photo.
Kraeg

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion