The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Percrime » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:24 am

Places like where a shared path crosses a road, they usually dont just have a ped light..they have a little bicycle light as well. So you can cross the ped crossing riding the bike legally.
Percrime

by BNA » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 am

BNA

Postby VRE » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 am

Percrime wrote:Places like where a shared path crosses a road, they usually dont just have a ped light..they have a little bicycle light as well. So you can cross the ped crossing riding the bike legally.

There's even a road safety rule that covers it: rule #248(2).
VRE

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am

Dumb Cyclist - Perth, intersection of Fitzgerald and Aberdeen this morning

Heading south bound and DC crosses red light and nearly gets cleaned up by the car in front of me, stupid move mate.
jaseyjase

Postby MikeyD360 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am

Lukeyboy wrote:This pathway must be for pedistrian access. If it was for cyclists only I'm sure they would put signs up and painted signs on the ground displaying this fact to the public.... :roll: :roll: (IIRC all the times I've had to use that path there has always been some numpty walking along it grr).

This might just be the old perv in me, but although it is a pretty distant shot - the one on the right of the group of peds looks like a rather enjoyable place to land. if only all idiot peds, cyclists and drivers were at least a 9.5/10 on the "Miranda Kerr lookalike" scale, then I might not get so frustrated when they do idiot things.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Especially dumb pedestrian - or, young mother I'd guess. :shock: :evil:

I'm riding along the shared path, and up ahead I see a mother sitting on the right lane of the path, picnic blanket, bags and stroller beside her, and off to the left off the path on the grass is her little baby crawling along. :shock: :shock: :shock: She's leaning over towards the little one in her baby induced dream world of serenity and peace.

On the level of stupidity scale, that ranks a 30 out of 10! I slowed down to about probably 5km/h and the mother moved her things over just a little bit and I rolled through ever so slowly.

Looking back, I should have stopped and told her off. People coming the other way with bright sun in their eyes would have had a more difficult time seeing the young baby. By the time I went back the other way, she was strapping the little baby into the stroller, which was parked right across the left lane of the path. :shock:
g-boaf

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:38 pm

If she was having a picnic on the shared path I certainly would of had a few words to her about the dangers of that.

I was doing 50kph down the road today only to see someone on a skate board jump into the bike lane and started skating towards me. It's the third time I've come across someone on a skateboard/razor scooter that has decided to do that in the exact same 50m area of road in the past week :roll: :roll:

Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Crazy - and a very clear image of the person too! What camera is that?

On the baby incident, I just was shocked at how the young mum could do something so dangerous. But from the look on her face with the dreamy smile and eyes only for her little one, she was clearly in another world. :roll: I don't think I'll come across anything more eye-opening than that.
g-boaf

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:36 pm

GoPro Hero2 with a K-Edge pro handelbar mount.
Lukeyboy

Postby Livetoride » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 am

Lukeyboy wrote:If she was having a picnic on the shared path I certainly would of had a few words to her about the dangers of that.

I was doing 50kph down the road today only to see someone on a skate board jump into the bike lane and started skating towards me. It's the third time I've come across someone on a skateboard/razor scooter that has decided to do that in the exact same 50m area of road in the past week :roll: :roll:

M seeing that more and more often, worst case was mid last year, rush hour traffic coming out of the city on St Kilda road bike lane :shock:
Happy Days
Livetoride

Postby malnar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 am

A bloke about 60 who I've passed about a dozen times on a shared path on my ride to the train station in the mornings over the last 12 months. We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area. I have always ignored him and not even given him eye contact. This morning he's waving his arm at me and said 'slow down or next time you'll cop it in the head'. I yelled back 'don't you threaten me'.

I'll make sure I've got the camera on in that section from now on.
malnar

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am

It'd be nice if the Police might follow behind at a distance and catch the guy in the act. Or get a friend of yours to follow along with another video camera to make it absolutely beyond doubt. And then you've got help if things get nasty.

20-23km/h is not really fast.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:24 am

malnar wrote:A bloke about 60 who I've passed about a dozen times on a shared path on my ride to the train station in the mornings over the last 12 months. We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area. I have always ignored him and not even given him eye contact. This morning he's waving his arm at me and said 'slow down or next time you'll cop it in the head'. I yelled back 'don't you threaten me'.

or maybe just reply "you dropped your bowlers hat" /sarcasm
jasonc

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 pm

malnar wrote:We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area.

"Control yer dog or it's likely to cop a wheel to the head!" Labs are prone to random acts of derpitude at the best of times, off leash thay can be a seriously loose cannon..
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

+ 1

i've taken to yelling at off-leash dog owners, when the dog is obviously a danger to me (and other cyclists). i don't swear at them, just a stern and very clear "control your dog!"
jules21

Postby maestro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 pm

There's a guy at work who regularly complains about cyclists riding on the road next to a cycle path (one of those ones with a pedestrian side, and a green painted clearly marked cyclist side). I hadn't had a look as this is normally a bit out of my way, but I went past yesterday and every single pedestrian I saw on that path was slap bang in the middle of the cycle only side.

I had originally told my friend that I would probably ride on the path here as it looked to be in really good condition, but I'm not so sure now... I'd probably avoid it with that level of pedestrian activity!

What can one do about such a situation? I am guessing that the general response would be to slow down and watch out for pedestrians, but what's the point of a cycle only path then?
maestro

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 pm

maestro wrote:There's a guy at work who regularly complains about cyclists riding on the road next to a cycle path (one of those ones with a pedestrian side, and a green painted clearly marked cyclist side). I hadn't had a look as this is normally a bit out of my way, but I went past yesterday and every single pedestrian I saw on that path was slap bang in the middle of the cycle only side.

I had originally told my friend that I would probably ride on the path here as it looked to be in really good condition, but I'm not so sure now... I'd probably avoid it with that level of pedestrian activity!

What can one do about such a situation? I am guessing that the general response would be to slow down and watch out for pedestrians, but what's the point of a cycle only path then?

for the guy at work, take a video of it and ask him what he'd expect you to do
jasonc

Postby maestro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:41 pm

jasonc wrote:for the guy at work, take a video of it and ask him what he'd expect you to do

The guy at work is good enough to talk to without needing a video (actually, I've almost convinced him to ride to work, which will take him past that spot). At the moment he's undecided... I'll ask him again after he's had a chance to think about it.
maestro

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:03 pm

maestro wrote:
jasonc wrote:for the guy at work, take a video of it and ask him what he'd expect you to do

The guy at work is good enough to talk to without needing a video (actually, I've almost convinced him to ride to work, which will take him past that spot). At the moment he's undecided... I'll ask him again after he's had a chance to think about it.

ride to work day is coming up. offer to ride with him!
jasonc

Postby maestro » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm

jasonc wrote:ride to work day is coming up. offer to ride with him!

That's a good idea, and despite the fact that he lives almost directly the other side of work, and the fact that he starts work two hours before I do... I made the offer. He declined, but is now considering getting driven to work with his bike and riding home as a trial. We'll see what happens.
maestro

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 am

malnar wrote:A bloke about 60 who I've passed about a dozen times on a shared path on my ride to the train station in the mornings over the last 12 months. We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area. I have always ignored him and not even given him eye contact. This morning he's waving his arm at me and said 'slow down or next time you'll cop it in the head'. I yelled back 'don't you threaten me'.

I get some of those on my commute home via a shared path. What's even more stupid about this is that on a shared path there should be no designated off-leash areas, i.e. the off-leash area should always terminate at least 4-5 metres from the path. Shared paths and unrestrained dogs are a bad combination, and I wish the council members who designated shared paths as off-leash areas would get this concept into their skulls.
VRE

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 am

But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.
Percrime

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:56 am

Percrime wrote:But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.

result: dead dog
and a bill for a new wheel or two

maybe they'll learn their lesson
jasonc

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Percrime wrote:But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.

David, I've searched the road safety rules thoroughly previously, and could never find anything about that, although that was my impression too: that dogs must be controlled up to a certain distance from any shared path. I wish I could find that rule, so I can quote it to some of the pedestrians along the KCT :roll: .
VRE

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Dumb Ped - Me...
Lemming action this morning... stepped out to find myself with a bus pointing at me ... had to run.... mainly because the bus was purposely heading diagonally toward me even though he didn't need to... :roll:
Kenzo

Postby zero » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:39 pm

jasonc wrote:

result: dead dog
and a bill for a new wheel or two

maybe they'll learn their lesson

They tend not to die from being hit by bicycles or motorcycles unless the vehicle is doing serious road speeds.

I also don't see how you can get in a lot of trouble with an offleash dog unless it bites you or its running full tilt after a ball. The presence of a pedestrian on a sharepath generally requires that you moderate your speed, and if there is a dog or a child you should be moderating your speed further. If the dog manages to get tangled in my bike at 10km/hr, I'll stick my foot on the ground.

My experience with dogs is that some breeds will tend to try bite motorcyclists, but almost never cyclists. (cattle dogs have no bother at all determining which part of the object is motorcycle and which part is human foot, and biting the latter.
zero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion