The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 am

jules21

by BNA » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 am

BNA

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 am

this guy went off-tap when i rode around him, while he crossed in front of me. he kept insisting i should have warned him by sounding my bell. i couldn't believe this and had to watch the video later to see if it was worse than i thought it was at the time, but i don't think so.
jules21

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 am

jules21 wrote:this guy went off-tap when i rode around him, while he crossed in front of me. he kept insisting i should have warned him by sounding my bell. i couldn't believe this and had to watch the video later to see if it was worse than i thought it was at the time, but i don't think so.

Obviously a high flyer this guy...expects everyone to bend to his will. From my perspective he didnt even look to see if anything was coming before he simply started to cross the street. Your comments about it is his duty to check before crossing were spot on.
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am

jules21 wrote:this guy went off-tap when i rode around him, while he crossed in front of me. he kept insisting i should have warned him by sounding my bell. i couldn't believe this and had to watch the video later to see if it was worse than i thought it was at the time, but i don't think so.

I've got a warning device. really good for "people" like than from about 1m away.
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am

gretaboy wrote:Obviously a high flyer this guy...expects everyone to bend to his will.

he sounded like a whiney bizjtch to me :mrgreen:

jasonc wrote:I've got a warning device. really good for "people" like than from about 1m away.

i thought i was doing the right thing by not making a big deal of it and gently riding around him. some people just need to play the victim in every circumstance.
jules21

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am

jules21 wrote:
jasonc wrote:I've got a warning device. really good for "people" like than from about 1m away.

i thought i was doing the right thing by not making a big deal of it and gently riding around him. some people just need to play the victim in every circumstance.

you did the right thing, the airzound would be for next time. this guy would be a creature of habit and go through there at the same time daily
jasonc

Postby blkmcs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm

jules21 wrote:...

The guy was clearly in the wrong, but even so in those circumstances I would always give a little ring on the bell, I feel safer if I know the pedestrian is aware of my presence.
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

blkmcs wrote:The guy was clearly in the wrong, but even so in those circumstances I would always give a little ring on the bell, I feel safer if I know the pedestrian is aware of my presence.

if you look carefully, he was walking alongside the cars, then he slowly veers out across the road. i do have and use a bell to warn pedestrians, but i tend not to in circumstances where i'm unsure of what they're about to do. instead, i'm usually concentrating on what i'm going to do to avoid them. i'm not saying that's correct, it's a habit i've fallen into.
jules21

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Next time ride up quietly behind him, then yell "BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE"........ That way he can't say you didn't warn him.

Although he looks like a bit of a fat cat, and he might have a heart attack, in which case don't be running your camera :twisted:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm

I prefer the huge "OHHHHHH CAAAAARP!!!" type of inarticulate scream. Horns and bells are so impersonal...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby csy75 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 pm

this rider insisted on riding in the middle of 3 lanes for about 2-3 km even before i filmed this in peak hour.

I spotted him well back in the middle lane 3 minutes before this. not safe riding, i always take the safer descent on parriwi road. i always capture more on my moto than the bicycle even though i film on both, why is that?

Last edited by csy75 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
csy75

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Long time reader, 1st time poster in this thread....

if you are or know the cyclist riding out of Balham Rd opposite Bunnings Acacia Ridge around 5pm ish today, looking resplendent in your Queensland Rail kit, then you/they are lucky as much as stupid. Turning right across two lanes from outside the left lane is arrogant, dangerous and illegal, added to only by your inability to signal. Any other driver than a cyclist would have run you over at your own stupid fault. You are just lucky I thought to give you a lead off and some extra lane space as I left the line, assuming by your actions you were going straight ahead. Next time when it's a truck I hope you live.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:25 pm

jules21 wrote:
this guy went off-tap when i rode around him, while he crossed in front of me. he kept insisting i should have warned him by sounding my bell. i couldn't believe this and had to watch the video later to see if it was worse than i thought it was at the time, but i don't think so.

Take the video to the local police and get him done for jay-walking :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby zero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 pm

csy75 wrote:this rider insisted on riding in the middle of 3 lanes for about 2-3 km even before i filmed this in peak hour.

I spotted him well back in the middle lane 3 minutes before this. not safe riding, i always take the safer descent on parriwi road. i always capture more on my moto than the bicycle even though i film on both, why is that?

http://youtu.be/qFAe2cqlDzQ

That is perfectly safe riding. He is entitled to use which ever lane he chooses, he is travelling at the traffic speed (and the speed limit which the camera rider is not), and if he intended using the right turn bay at the bottom of the hill, then he logically should move over to the middle lane so that he can make the merge into the right lane in good time and at a similar speed to the surround traffic.

Seriously motorists of all types need to get over it. Cyclists need to and are allowed to use the middle and right hand lanes on roads with speed limits of less than 80.

Also you were speeding, and as I've ridden that section often enough, it is more than safe, and even a mountain bike will be rolling at 40+ for some time on the approach, and 60 on the descent.
zero

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm

zero wrote:That is perfectly safe riding. He is entitled to use which ever lane he chooses, he is travelling at the traffic speed (and the speed limit which the camera rider is not), and if he intended using the right turn bay at the bottom of the hill, then he logically should move over to the middle lane so that he can make the merge into the right lane in good time and at a similar speed to the surround traffic.

+1

Yeah but motorcyclists don't speed !

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Biffidus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I had a slightly unkempt bogan ride across the pedestrian crossing I was stopped at this morning trying to carry a medium sized suitcase under his arm. It seemed to be rather heavy and was slipping down as he crossed the road. It was on wheels so it would have probably been easier and safer to extend the handle and pull it along behind the bike.
Biffidus

Postby csy75 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 am

zero wrote:
csy75 wrote:this rider insisted on riding in the middle of 3 lanes for about 2-3 km even before i filmed this in peak hour.

That is perfectly safe riding. He is entitled to use which ever lane he chooses, he is travelling at the traffic speed (and the speed limit which the camera rider is not), and if he intended using the right turn bay at the bottom of the hill, then he logically should move over to the middle lane so that he can make the merge into the right lane in good time and at a similar speed to the surround traffic.

Seriously motorists of all types need to get over it. Cyclists need to and are allowed to use the middle and right hand lanes on roads with speed limits of less than 80.

Also you were speeding, and as I've ridden that section often enough, it is more than safe, and even a mountain bike will be rolling at 40+ for some time on the approach, and 60 on the descent.

you and i definitely have different ideas of safe/defensive riding then. he kept going in the middle then merged back into the left lane.

as i said, i understand why he did it ( to avoid anyone turning left at the bottom of the hill or at bus stop ), it's legal but not sensible.

if you've ridden that road like you claim then you know how fast all that traffic is moving.

if someone didn't see him and he had to emergency brake, then i fail to see how in the middle of 3 lanes he can do so safely. maybe you ride a lot better than me. :roll:

as i said, parriwi road next to it is much safer and my preferred option, why take unnecessary chances.
csy75

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:Driving up a busy 2 lane road in Canberra (Gungahlin Drive for locals) this afternoon... the road should be 3 lanes, and the 2 lanes they have aren't wide enough. ...

Which part of GD? The only narrow bit I can think of is the section at the first lights in Mitchell when heading North, but the morons in charge have FINALLY provided a slip lane up to the shared pathway when the on-road lane ends. Although getting back onto the road on the other side of the lights to get to the on-road lane that starts after the lights that easy.

No - cyclists don't have to use the shared pathway, but they *do* have to use an on-road lane if provided, unless "impractical", ie. you cut across lanes to turn at an intersection.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 am

twizzle wrote:...but they *do* have to use an on-road lane if provided, unless "impractical", ie. you cut across lanes to turn at an intersection.

Or, as is the usual case, they are full of carp swept off the car lanes. I came across a large bolt and three wheel weights in the space of 600m on Menzies Drive yesterday. Stopped and kicked 'em all to the gutter.
Rang the council to whinge when I got home, should be done by Christmas :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby zero » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 am

csy75 wrote:
zero wrote:

you and i definitely have different ideas of safe/defensive riding then. he kept going in the middle then merged back into the left lane.

as i said, i understand why he did it ( to avoid anyone turning left at the bottom of the hill or at bus stop ), it's legal but not sensible.

if you've ridden that road like you claim then you know how fast all that traffic is moving.

same speed as the bicycle, just not same speed as the speeding motorcycle.

if someone didn't see him and he had to emergency brake, then i fail to see how in the middle of 3 lanes he can do so safely. maybe you ride a lot better than me. :roll:

ah someone might not see you. your visibility is in the same magnitude as his. The buses are in the outer lane, vehicles in his lane are generally smaller.

as i said, parriwi road next to it is much safer and my preferred option, why take unnecessary chances.

Parrawi Rd doesn't have a cross intersection at the top. You can't tell me that any legal method of getting there is safer than just continuing to ride along spit rd. Also whatever I do to get to that side of the road will far more seriously interfere with traffic flow than just riding along spit rd. Amusingly after shaking your head at a bicycle riding in the middle lane, you just used the same sized vehicle to do exactly the same thing at the same speed, 20m ahead of it, and you make the most dangerous of the moves (outside lane to middle lane), more often than the cyclist does.
zero

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

Mulger bill wrote:
twizzle wrote:...but they *do* have to use an on-road lane if provided, unless "impractical", ie. you cut across lanes to turn at an intersection.

Or, as is the usual case, they are full of carp swept off the car lanes. I came across a large bolt and three wheel weights in the space of 600m on Menzies Drive yesterday. Stopped and kicked 'em all to the gutter.
Rang the council to whinge when I got home, should be done by Christmas :roll:

Before christmas a large plate glass window fell onto the road at an intersection. Still there today. Just broken into small bits (still some large parts) pushed into the pedestrian strip in the median, 20-25m spread out, on top of the median, slowly making its way across into the opposite lanes and now small bits are in the bike lane as my light lit them all up last night. Its a bloody busy intersection too. Yet there's been 2 or 3 street clearners go down my quiet little street in both directions this year. Must be voting time or something :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Before christmas a large plate glass window fell onto the road at an intersection. Still there today. Just broken into small bits (still some large parts) pushed into the pedestrian strip in the median, 20-25m spread out, on top of the median, slowly making its way across into the opposite lanes and now small bits are in the bike lane as my light lit them all up last night. Its a bloody busy intersection too. Yet there's been 2 or 3 street clearners go down my quiet little street in both directions this year. Must be voting time or something :lol:

LukeyBoy - if within BCC boundaries - log it here - https://sde.brisbane.qld.gov.au/service ... aintenance
Kenzo

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am

Pretty sure I did on the 3rd or the 4th after I came across it. I'll send it again just incase it was an error on my end. The intersection is Sandgate Road as you turn into Nundah Village.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am

Kenzo wrote:LukeyBoy - if within BCC boundaries - log it here - https://sde.brisbane.qld.gov.au/service ... aintenance

+1 - have called up about one before and it was cleaned up that day.
jasonc

Postby csy75 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am

zero wrote: Parrawi Rd doesn't have a cross intersection at the top. You can't tell me that any legal method of getting there is safer than just continuing to ride along spit rd. Also whatever I do to get to that side of the road will far more seriously interfere with traffic flow than just riding along spit rd. Amusingly after shaking your head at a bicycle riding in the middle lane, you just used the same sized vehicle to do exactly the same thing at the same speed, 20m ahead of it, and you make the most dangerous of the moves (outside lane to middle lane), more often than the cyclist does.

zero, i commute from manly to the city every day either by bike or moto. i cycle off the main road both ways.

it's a decision i make to stay safer. I come to parriwi downill from the back streets of mosman via moruben road so yes, there is a crossing directly to it.

please don't confuse a motorcycle with superior handling/tyres/brakes etc with a cyclist doing 70 km/h downhill in the middle of a 3 lane road in peak hour. a motorcycle is not the same vehicle as a bicycle.

my post and head shaking is because the guy is braver than me ( some might say foolhardy ).
csy75

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion