The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm

You know there is always that extreme element of a 'hobby' that tarnishes everyone with the bad brush, its not just cycling:

weightlifting - guys that take steroids hence perpetuate the = we all roid rage; small balls; vain; idiot ect. Actually I do it for building strength for health reasons (core strength, back issues ect).
shooter - guys who are extreme right wing hence perpetuate the = all shoters are psycho; shoot animals for fun; small peni ect. Actually I shoot paper both for fun and competitively.
cyclist - critical mass = i must be a hippie ect. Actually I do it for exercise and race TT's for fun.

see where I'm going with this...I really object to having to be an "advocate" for all these "causes".
merlin6014

by BNA » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:16 pm

BNA

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:16 pm

il padrone wrote:
merlin6014 wrote:I did express my view and was attacked for it so I had to spell out my opinion.

OK, I see now that you did. It has been the thread title (which I also don't like), your qualified question about whether it was "dumb", and the later comments about idiots that coloured my comments here.

OK no problem - I also apologise if I offended anyone - my opinion is controversial I realize, still dosnt mean I wouldnt have a beer with you guys just cause we have differing opinions. In fact a drunken argument is normally the most fun :D
merlin6014

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 pm

merlin6014 wrote:You know there is always that extreme element of a 'hobby' that tarnishes everyone with the bad brush...

...cyclist - critical mass = i must be a hippie ect. Actually I do it for exercise and race TT's for fun.

see where I'm going with this...I really object to having to be an "advocate" for all these "causes".

Now you'll get me going :o

Critical Mass 10th birthday ride Melbourne - sure looks like a hoard of hippies :roll:

Nothing like stereotyping to set the scene eh? :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
Critical Mass 10th birthday ride Melbourne - sure looks like a hoard of hippies :roll:

Nothing like stereotyping to set the scene eh? :wink:

There is some nice talent in the bottom photo, maybe I should attend for educational purposes :twisted: :D
merlin6014

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't know why but they all just seem like hipies. I couldn't give a hoot about critical mass but they just have that hippie appearence. Must be the sandles that everyone is wearing. The same with protesters. I spose the media doesn't help that when to find and interview the most bogan or hippy looking person each time :twisted:
Lukeyboy

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 pm

outnabike wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Back on topic now :)

No commute today, doc appointment. Drove to the docs. Must have seen 300 cars do nothing wrong. Saw 1 [shirtless] cyclist on a fixie. Cars overtake safely in the other lane, red light ahead, everybody stops ... except ... Fixie lane splits down the middle and flies through the red doing ~40kmh. Same cars have to pass him again as we go up the hill in front of the lights.

It pissed me off, and those drivers now have an even lower respect for people riding bicycles than they did before.

Correction - lower respect for shirtless fixie riders!

I cant understand how he got to 40 kays on a fixie. I can't do that with my gears, except going down hill,,,,,as dirty harry said to his mate,,,,,,to much lasagne... :D

Yes it was down a hill :)

And for those who asked, it was a male, and I can't comment on the body as I didn't pay any attention to it :|
InTheWoods

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm

muzfox wrote:I don't post here this often, but this one got to me a bit...

Mate - I do ~13.5k-Km on the roads each year. I've had my fair share of crap, you get used to it. As a consequence, you don't go chasing vehicles unless the driver has REALLY rattled your cage.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby redned » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I don't know why but they all just seem like hipies. I couldn't give a hoot about critical mass but they just have that hippie appearence. Must be the sandles that everyone is wearing. The same with protesters. I spose the media doesn't help that when to find and interview the most bogan or hippy looking person each time :twisted:

Luke: If you think they look like hippies, you were around in the sixties! They look to me like people in casual clothes on bikes. If they were dressed like that in a shopping centre (sans bike and helmet) would you think they were hippies (not desparaging hippies, by the way)
redned

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

sandals BTW :idea:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 pm

T intersection, coming up from the bottom of the T with 2 lanes. I'm riding like I'm a car and waiting in traffic in the left lane, for the red light. Light goes green and cyclist flies through right hand lane, part way through intersection while turning, he cuts in between 2 cars where there wasn't really a gap to get into the left lane, because he's going left immediately after the intersection, thus once again riding like an idiot, and holding up drivers after a stupid and unsafe overtake. I'm in recovery mode and still had no issues overtaking him 100 meters down the road...

I do actually think that as a proportion, more cyclists are bad road users than motorists. Where I am it seems at least 20-30% are bad eggs... if 20-30% of motorists were that bad, the road carnage would be massive.
InTheWoods

Postby citywomble » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Totally agree with the above.

I reckon cyclists and motorists are about equal (by weight). There are far more cyclists, as a percentage, but they are lighter.
citywomble

Postby PB12IN » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:33 am

InTheWoods wrote:I do actually think that as a proportion, more cyclists are bad road users than motorists. Where I am it seems at least 20-30% are bad eggs... if 20-30% of motorists were that bad, the road carnage would be massive.

so very true. sad though, What happens to peoples minds that makes them think it is ok to ignore the rules on a bike but wouldn't dream of acting like that in their cars.
PB12IN

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:29 am

PB12IN wrote: What happens to peoples minds that makes them think it is ok to ignore the rules on a bike but wouldn't dream of acting like that in their cars.

Enforcement (the lack of).... "I can get away with it"

A feeling that a bike rider is unlikely to hurt someone.... more likely to be injured... so "ride fast and sneaky to get through safe" (not saying I agree with this)

The view (partly true) that devices like traffic lights have only been needed because of "all those damn cars". Not relevant to a bike.

Lack of any programs of bicycle skills and safety training.
il padrone

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:00 am

citywomble wrote:Totally agree with the above.

I reckon cyclists and motorists are about equal (by weight). There are far more cyclists, as a percentage, but they are lighter.

In my recent few weeks of getting to work in a car, I've seen far more cars running red lights and blocking intersections than bike riders. By far more, I'd say four or five times as many doing this, buses included as well.

So glad I'm more mobile again and won't have to be a part of that crazy frustrating traffic from next week.
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:12 am

Seems to me that riders are the one group that is less likely to have their perceptions blurred by tribal bias-and speak up about it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am

Oh I dont agree with that. I went to the sustainable living thing at Fed Square yesterday... on the roady in lycra (hey I went via DISC) In order to fit in their perfectly (and have more than one person among all the storeholders buttonholing passers by even talk to me) I would have needed to take my vintage SS and wear shorts and my minefields of cambodia t shirt.

And have not shaved.

THe person trying to flog me a nice vintage bike used sentences I did not understand. "Its pretty light.. only 16 Kg"

Plenty of tribal bias happening there.
Percrime

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 am

Percrime wrote:I went to the sustainable living thing at Fed Square yesterday... on the roady in lycra......

.....I would have needed to take my vintage SS and wear shorts and my minefields of cambodia t shirt.

And have not shaved.

Dave.... it was Fed Square, not Docklands-New Quay. The GLW needs to talk to you about your dress-sense :P
il padrone

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:32 am

BUT it was DISC too.

Sigh.
Oh ok yesterdays effort> Im going down Koornang Creek to DISC. Bloke in front on right. standing beside path. Pram parked on path. small kid in front of pram.

I think "everyone here looks stupid" and slow down to walking. I am 1 metre from the pram when kid steps in front of me. Father says something to child.. does not grab him.. although he is easily in reach. I stop. Say to father.. "You idiot" Ride off around child on grass. Father yells something when I am just about out of earshot. It does not sound like a polite apology for his complete lack of either control or training of his child. It does sound like quickness of reflex or mind are not amongst his gifts.

I think about going back and discussing the matter in a physical and forthright manner but meh.. so many idiots.. so little time. :twisted:
Percrime

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 am

Percrime wrote:Plenty of tribal bias happening there.

Not referring to the internecine tribal issues that I ranted about in another post today Perc, I'm talking the car, ped, truck, bike tribes etc. Of them all, riders seem to be the ones most likely to not ignore or gloss over the failings of their own.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I was a professional driver for many years. You dont wanna hear my opinion of Australian drivers of German cars. Or of the average 4WD drivers skillsy (I still remember the woman in the RAV who stuffed up her U turn in Chapel St near Dandy Rd and got 3 of her wheels up on the curb. ANd the bloke who rear ended me in peak hour in his Land Crusher also on Chapel St and who then started a punch up. (He lost ) Or the Merc driver who ran the red light (also in chapel st in order to rear end another car.
Percrime

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 pm

You may have been a pro driver Perc but you are also a rider :wink:
Percrime wrote:...Or of the average 4WD drivers skills...

Not wrong, I'd like to see a special licence requirement for these things, and maybe proof of "genuine need".

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby PB12IN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Wow you guys should see the discussion on the skill and licencing of cyclists on 4wd action forum ATM. Kind of funny seeing two groups having the exact same conversation focused on the other one like this.
Where do I sit? I have a forby and I ride bikes, I'm hated from Both sides :D
PB12IN

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Percrime wrote:THe person trying to flog me a nice vintage bike used sentences I did not understand. "Its pretty light.. only 16 Kg"

Plenty of tribal bias happening there.

Yep, he was subtly calling you a wuss. :P :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:36 pm

PB12IN wrote:Wow you guys should see the discussion on the skill and licencing of cyclists on 4wd action forum ATM. Kind of funny seeing two groups having the exact same conversation focused on the other one like this.
Where do I sit? I have a forby and I ride bikes, I'm hated from Both sides :D

I'll be watching you! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby PB12IN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeh I saw your posts in that thread. I stayed out of it, last time I got into a discussion when one idiot said that cyclists should be treated like terrorists I got in trouble and my posts deleted.
PB12IN

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion