The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:48 am

Aushiker wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlB6QMGRPaQ&hd=1[/youtube]

Background/my thoughts posted here.

Andrew


I'd call that a no harm no foul pass. he figured you'd be passing so went wide. there was good visibility, no issues.

BTW - you just got CCR owned :D
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5834
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

outnabike wrote:
il padrone wrote:
outnabike wrote:Some countries do allow that move based on nouse and so I can see both sides of the coin. It would be nice to have it accepted for cyclists in ozz.
It would prevent good riders being labelled as law breakers.

Sorry, fail there.

I do not believe this sort of "left-turn on red" would be accepted in those US states that have the law. First requirement is that you do it when clear, giving way to any cross-traffic. This fool would have been barely aware of any traffic, much less able to stop. He was flying on a wing and a prayer. I can see some basis for such a law to apply, but if this is how people will do it, I withdraw my support, full stop.

I do think the US law requires riders (and drivers) to stop first, then proceed if clear.

Like this advice:



Thanks il padrone,
Yes I was a bit ahead of my self there, always happy to be corrected :D ,I didn't realise they demanded a full stop in those lands. Sure makes sense when you annalize the rule. The cyclist in the video would have no chance of complying.



Also something to consider in the States, at least in Colorado where I have driven with this rule in place, the infrastructure/intersection design is appropriate to allow right turns on a red light. Something which is not in place here.
clydesmcdale
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:42 pm

il padrone wrote:
bychosis wrote:Three other non cyclists in the car mentioned he was hard to see. A car behind changed lanes to go around him.

What any overtaking driver is required by law to do. I'm not so sure why this is seen as remarkable??


bychosis wrote:Maybe he didn't have a choice you say? Well it certainly looked like he rode both ways along a busy road on a slow bike without any hi-vis markings when the perfectly good cycle way from Warners Bay to Speers Pt was available for at least a portion of his journey. The four lane section of the road is not wide enough to ride unless you are riding pretty quick and have your wits about you.

Not sure whether you re-read this to check your meaning. Now for sure it may be a busy road, but a bicycle was still a road vehicle last time I checked, and unless this is an exclusive freeway the decision to ride is entirely a personal one. Four lanes sounds like a reasonably spacious road too. You may think his choice unwise, I probably would not have stopped in such a location (if I read it correctly), however as a driver you simply need to drive appropriately and safely to deal with it. I don't like the 'colour' of some commentary I often hear that puts blame on a cyclist for simply riding along a road. Regardless of the presence of a separate bike path, the road is legally available to a cyclist, and often the more appropriate route.

Like I said, you or I may choose to do it different - doesn't make a slow-riding road rider anything "dumb".


The car moving to overtake was passing a stationary cyclist within the lane area, positioning yourself in a shaded area within a trafficked lane is not a smart thing to do. Had the rider chosen the cycle way stopping for a mechanical is a non issue. Just because you are allowed to use a road doesn't mean it is a smart thing to do. When i saw him riding he was most certainly not claiming the lane, which you would be required to do in that location to ensure a level of safety.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2198
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:00 pm

jules21 wrote:
i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service.

for those not familiar, this is the Main Yarra Trail in melbourne - highway 1 for cyclists. she knows what she's doing.


Knock her out of the way next time with your elbow :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Knock her out of the way next time with your elbow :twisted:

yeah! or hit her in the head with my bidon, that'll learn her.

wait, you were joking weren't you? :wink:
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8635
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 pm

jules21 wrote:wait, you were joking weren't you? :wink:


............................ ummm.... maybe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:22 pm

bychosis wrote:
il padrone wrote:Not sure whether you re-read this to check your meaning. Now for sure it may be a busy road, but a bicycle was still a road vehicle last time I checked, and unless this is an exclusive freeway the decision to ride is entirely a personal one. Four lanes sounds like a reasonably spacious road too. You may think his choice unwise, I probably would not have stopped in such a location (if I read it correctly), however as a driver you simply need to drive appropriately and safely to deal with it. I don't like the 'colour' of some commentary I often hear that puts blame on a cyclist for simply riding along a road. Regardless of the presence of a separate bike path, the road is legally available to a cyclist, and often the more appropriate route.

Like I said, you or I may choose to do it different - doesn't make a slow-riding road rider anything "dumb".


The car moving to overtake was passing a stationary cyclist within the lane area, positioning yourself in a shaded area within a trafficked lane is not a smart thing to do.

Yes. I agree wholeheartedly. That is what I said above.

However given that this guy has stopped for some reason, it is an obligation of traffic to avoid him and safely go past. Drivers would do this happily with a broken-down car. Why is it such an outrage, so "dumb" to have to do it for a cyclist? I assume he had some relevant reason for doing it - but we do not know.

I go cycling with a touring club. We frequently stop along the way, to re-group. We always endeavour to get members off the road, away from traffic. But at the same time there are times where our riders need to stop, for whatever reason (eg. mechanical, walking up steep hill, insecure load etc.). Usually individually. At times this may be in a constricted location like a hill-crest, by an embankment or in a cutting. We will get off the road when it is possible but don't appreciate it when passing motorists give us a blast from the horn just for being there. Not common, but it does happen.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:55 pm

il padrone wrote:(eg. mechanical, walking up steep hill, insecure load etc.).


Does you load suffer from lack of self esteem? :lol: :roll:

Kev.
User avatar
Kev365428
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:52 am
Location: Ingleburn, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:16 pm

When you put yourself in a dangerous situation that is easily avoided you are dumb. When you are stuck in a dangerous situation you cannot avoid you want to hope those around you are not dumb.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2198
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

bychosis wrote:When you put yourself in a dangerous situation that is easily avoided you are dumb. When you are stuck in a dangerous situation you cannot avoid you want to hope those around you are not dumb.

Well, I take a slightly different view.

Every driver comes fully equipped with sensors to detect problems...... right in the middle of their face! Their obligation is very clearly stated in the road rules.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:33 am

Yesterday's nomination for stupid cyclist of the month, for persistent stupidity in the face of oncoming traffic. This comes to you from Sydney, alongside the Western Distributor leading up to the Pyrmont Bridge. Perversely this narrow section of shared path is usually much better than the much wider bridge - pedestrians almost invariably keep left & cyclists know they have to wait till it is clear to overtake. This guy is the exception however

First it was the scooter rider
Image

Then the cyclist
Image

Before finally terrorising a jogger
Image
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3667
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 am

Damn Yanks!!
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
jules21 wrote:
i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service.

for those not familiar, this is the Main Yarra Trail in melbourne - highway 1 for cyclists. she knows what she's doing.


Knock her out of the way next time with your elbow :twisted:


I don't want to be negative, But I can,t see the point of the post , if it is to make this girl out as being aggressive in any way.

I may be wrong but I am just trying to interpret the pics. Not excusing their over use of the path though.

Yes she is dreamily walking along with the mind in neutral. But the arm is not aggressively jutting out. In fact her elbow seems to be to her rear. Maybe the hip belt was digging in to her, who knows. And her first movements do not indicate any thing other than moving over to her left.
Yes it did take her a while to see the situation but the remarks of "knocking her out of the way", even in jest, are not worthy of us as cyclists. This is a young girl with her mum and I am surprised at the first thoughts are of aggression to the situation.
If you look at the direction of her eyes it will show her thoughts a purely for escape.
No one in there right mind would stick out an elbow and offer it to be hit by a cyclist, and if other cyclists would suggest hitting her on purpose, or threaten too, imagine the reaction of her mum.
Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D

Image
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am

outnabike wrote:Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D


jules is visible for 3 seconds to the pedestrians before she starts to move. ped is looking right at Jules.

maybe the right response is AirZound as you come around that bend :mrgreen:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5834
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 am

I also don't think they are mother and daughter.

The lady with the elbow looks too developed for that (keep your minds out of the gutter, I didn't mean in that way! You can tell by the way she walks) and if they are part of the wealthy set or stay at home ladies of leisure (given that the time stamp says 10:18AM I assume most professional people are already at work and children under 18 are at school) they could easily be ladies in their 30s or 40s who like to keep very fit.

That area is a wealthy area of Melbourne.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 am

find_bruce wrote:Yesterday's nomination for stupid cyclist of the month...

Yeah, he's right up there for SCOTY. A rolling recipe for disaster. :roll:
Can only hope there's no innocents hurt WHEN (not if) his world goes pear shaped.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25681
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 am

jasonc wrote:
outnabike wrote:Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D


jules is visible for 3 seconds to the pedestrians before she starts to move. ped is looking right at Jules.

That's how I saw it. I note she pulled her arm back very smartly when she realised it did not have the desired result.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25681
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 am

maybe some exposed metal at the end of the bars will get the word spread around
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5834
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby redned » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am

jules21 wrote:i know some people will say i should yield here, and as a rule i do - what i post here are the exceptions - but this lady p'd me off with her attitude. she is an idiot to think walking on the wrong side of the path and sticking her elbow out to block cyclists is some kind of community service.

for those not familiar, this is the Main Yarra Trail in melbourne - highway 1 for cyclists. she knows what she's doing.


It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.
redned
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 am

redned wrote:It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.

+1

Lazy ped, but not malicious ped.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Kenzo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

il padrone wrote:
redned wrote:It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.

+1

Lazy ped, but not malicious ped.

+2 ... except I think she may have been suffering from a 'stitch'.
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Good one last night :roll: - Commonwealth Ave, Canberra southbound approximately 6.30 pm. Immediately south of Julia Gillard's house. This is a 3 lane lane road for cars and busses with a 4th lane/bike lane that's definitely wide enough for a car.

I was riding along and saw a staffy dog running loose on the bike lane. A cyclist slower than me was ahead and this dog (brindle entire male staffy) shot onto the road directly towards her. I saw her stop pedalling and swerve suddenly to miss it. The dog then runs directly past her and was bouncing round happily but was approximately 18 inches away from the line separating bike lane and car lane (ie 18 inches from being splattered at 80 kmph).

I couldn't believe it - and didn't know if it was a lost dog or similar. There was a man with a beard and glasses walking on the path there and the dog eventually went back to him. I didn't know if he called it or it just wandered back but the other girl continued on. Now I'm thinking if I wanted my dog to live i'd stick it on a bloody string on an 80 kmph road, but each to their own. Now I'm approaching them and again this loose dog shoots out - directly at me this time. Of course i'm half thinking it might and and sitting on the brakes just in case. I couldn't believe it. I turned back to the guy walking and asked him if this was his dog? He replied yes. I said, well if you don't want it killed you might want to put it on the leash. As i turned forward again the dog is now in the 18 inch gap between me and the cars at 80 kmph on my right. Running loose and doing as it pleases.

He did say something back but i didn't hear what it was over the traffic. I did actually want to say "listen mate, maybe you don't care, but it'll be your dog that pays the price if it gets it wrong or a driver can't stop in time" :evil: but i expected he was obviously a free spirit who did things his own way. The dog had dashed out to both the girl in front of me, and me and I dared not look back to see if there were other riders coming behind me. This is the main drag and there are hundreds of cyclists using it each night i reckon.

Stupid idiot owner. I was just hoping to hell i didn't hear "SCREEEEEECH, thunk. yelp yelp"... and thank god i didn't.
cp123
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Kenzo wrote:
il padrone wrote:
redned wrote:It looks to me like she has inadvertently strayed onto the right hand side of the path (noting there are no markings) and has moved to correct it when she has seen you. I sense no "attitude", idiocy or act of agression with the elbow.

+1

Lazy ped, but not malicious ped.

+2 ... except I think she may have been suffering from a 'stitch'.


Also, looking at the shadows in the footage - was sun glare a possible factor here? Sorry, I'm just a "benefit of the doubt" type person. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
User avatar
Cowcorner
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 pm

cp123 wrote: Now I'm approaching them and again this loose dog shoots out - directly at me this time. Of course i'm half thinking it might and and sitting on the brakes just in case. I couldn't believe it. I turned back to the guy walking and asked him if this was his dog? He replied yes. I said, well if you don't want it killed you might want to put it on the leash. As i turned forward again the dog is now in the 18 inch gap between me and the cars at 80 kmph on my right. Running loose and doing as it pleases.

He did say something back but i didn't hear what it was over the traffic.

Crikey! I think that makes it "thread finished". We have the "Stupid Pedestrian of the Year" prize-winner for 2013 already :P :roll: :roll:

Image
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jasonc wrote:
outnabike wrote:Sorry if Now I am over reacting, all I see is two pedestrians doing pedestriany things. If you like that new word you can keep it... :D


jules is visible for 3 seconds to the pedestrians before she starts to move. ped is looking right at Jules.

That's how I saw it. I note she pulled her arm back very smartly when she realised it did not have the desired result.

that's also how i saw it. none of us can say for 100% certain, but the most likely explanation is that it was deliberate. it's a busy shared path and i come across these people semi-regularly. they seem to think cyclists are pests and deliberately block both sides of the path. the arm raise could have been coincidental - but i think that's unlikely.

i do make a conscious attempt to be considerate of pedestrians and regularly come to a halt when it's not safe to pass (while some other cyclists will just barge through), but my patience is shorter with these people.

outnabike wrote: If you look at the direction of her eyes it will show her thoughts a purely for escape.

she's wearing sunnies :?

she doesn't flinch as i approach, despite me being in plain view of her. there is nothing to suggest her looking for 'escape'.
outnabike wrote: No one in there right mind would stick out an elbow and offer it to be hit by a cyclist

i agree, just not in the way you think
outnabike wrote:and if other cyclists would suggest hitting her on purpose, or threaten too, imagine the reaction of her mum.

if i wasn't concentrating on navigating the artificially narrowed gap she had made for me, i'd have had words. but i wouldn't have abused her, physically or verbally. just pointed out her poor judgment and lack of common sense.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8635
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bentnose, gregaudio



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit