The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 am

Summernight wrote:This is what annoys me when some 'safe' backseat drivers say I should turn off my cruise control and slow down to let an overtaker on a 4-6 lane highway, with the motorcycle slicer wire cables in the middle between traffic directions, change back into the left/middle lane just because there is a road-rager tailgating the overtaker in the right-hand lane (who is usually already speeding anyway as my cruise is set on or just under the real (not odo) 100kph) . It makes me unpredictable if I change my speed so why should I?

Courtesy. And it makes for smooth traffic flow. It's not your job to enforce road rules (road rager tailgating the overtaker), that's what the police are for. Won't hurt you to speed up a bit or slow down a bit and change lanes so they can get to wherever they are going , or at least away from you.
Ross

by BNA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 am

BNA

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 am

This morning along Oxford St Sydney I observed a cyclist almost take out a dumb pedestrian crossing on a don't walk sign. The dumb cyclist contributed to the near miss as he was on aero bars at the time (on a flat bar) and so couldn't slow but had to swerve to the right of the frozen pedestrian who was five metres from getting all the way across at the time.
biker jk

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 am

I'm flying down Sylvan Rd inbound and have the green light at Jephson St although it flicks to orange as I go through. Fixie rider on a black bike with black shoes, black socks, black shorts, black shirt, and black helmet comes flying up Croydon St from my left, cuts in between the two lanes of cars waiting at the red light, and runs the red to hook in right behind me. I yell "red light d*** h****". I thought he was going to T-bone me before he slowed a touch to get in behind.

So then I get mocking comments like "You're lit up like a Christmas tree... Well better to be safe than sorry" (I have my lights on during the day and have a fluoro jersey). To which I respond "It also helps if you don't run red lights".

Further down when turning onto Land St I indicate left (as do most) to which he asks "you turning left?", I suspect mocking me for indicating.

He then passes me, and begins squeezing between the cars & cyclists waiting at the lights at Land&Patrick Lane, and on approach cuts off the cyclist in front of me causing him to lock up his rear wheel, and then was attempting to run the red squeezing past the waiting cyclists, except it went green just as he got there.

He then jumped off the footpath at North Quay & Herschel and ran that red heading down North Quay after a short bit of salmoning.
InTheWoods

Postby Boognoss » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 am

InTheWoods wrote:I'm flying down Sylvan Rd inbound and have the green light at Jephson St although it flicks to orange as I go through. Fixie rider on a black bike with black shoes, black socks, black shorts, black shirt, and black helmet comes flying up Croydon St from my left, cuts in between the two lanes of cars waiting at the red light, and runs the red to hook in right behind me. I yell "red light d*** h****". I thought he was going to T-bone me before he slowed a touch to get in behind.

So then I get mocking comments like "You're lit up like a Christmas tree... Well better to be safe than sorry" (I have my lights on during the day and have a fluoro jersey). To which I respond "It also helps if you don't run red lights".

Further down when turning onto Land St I indicate left (as do most) to which he asks "you turning left?", I suspect mocking me for indicating.

He then passes me, and begins squeezing between the cars & cyclists waiting at the lights at Land&Patrick Lane, and on approach cuts off the cyclist in front of me causing him to lock up his rear wheel, and then was attempting to run the red squeezing past the waiting cyclists, except it went green just as he got there.

He then jumped off the footpath at North Quay & Herschel and ran that red heading down North Quay after a short bit of salmoning.

Temporary citizen.

I'd rather be a Christmas tree (which I am when commuting) than in a pine box.
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Undertow » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 am

uppo75 wrote:
Undertow wrote:
Summernight wrote:This is what annoys me when some 'safe' backseat drivers say I should turn off my cruise control and slow down to let an overtaker on a 4-6 lane highway, with the motorcycle slicer wire cables in the middle between traffic directions, change back into the left/middle lane just because there is a road-rager tailgating the overtaker in the right-hand lane (who is usually already speeding anyway as my cruise is set on or just under the real (not odo) 100kph) . It makes me unpredictable if I change my speed so why should I?

Why are you in the right hand lane if you aren't overtaking?

When driving on a highway there should never be an empty space to your left, if there is you should merge into it, otherwise you are breaking the law (at least in queensland). On roads with speed limits of 90+ you MUST keep left unless overtaking.

Actually, in QLD, you only have to keep out of the right lane.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queens ... -left.aspx

On single-lane roads, drivers must stay as close as practical to the left side of the road.

When the speed limit is 90km/h or more on multi-lane roads, you must not drive in the right-hand lane unless you are:

overtaking
turning right
making a U-turn
avoiding an obstacle
driving in congested traffic.

It is an offence to drive in the right lane if none of the above criteria are occurring.

So all those slow people ,in the third lane from the left, on the 4 lane Freeway, are quite legal in doing so.

Wow, i did not know that. I thought it was actually keep left. Does this mean I'm not allowed to get annoyed at those people in the 2nd and 3rd lanes going at 90kmh with empty lanes to their left?
Undertow

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am

3 peaks this year was all sorts of Dumb cyclists.

Sunrise Falls creek Mt Beauty Side descending staying to the left having people pass me ( I'm doing around 50) on the inside.

Quite a few DNF's as people crashed and lot of "I want make up time on the down hill and dont care if about anyone else", seemed a bit silly to have 4 waves of competitors going starting in a big bunch rather than last year being 2 at a time.

Mt Buffalo going up only to have the "Tour Wannabes" coming down the hill on the wrong side of the ride 3 abreast.. :shock:

Special mention goes to the guy ( who wasn't hurt btw) but rode off the side the road into a gully cause... "I didn't put my lights on cause I wanted to save weight".

Dumbest cyclist was me who hit gravel patch dropped it and took home some Gravel form the Victorian Alpine region as souvenir sadly no finishers jersey. :(
Saturnstarzz

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

uppo75 wrote:Actually, in QLD, you only have to keep out of the right lane.

yes, that's correct, and the road rules of each state are specifically worded that way.

"must not drive in the right lane"

"speed limit greater than 80km/h" (i.e. in practical terms, 90 zones or higher)
wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

Ross wrote:

Courtesy. And it makes for smooth traffic flow. It's not your job to enforce road rules (road rager tailgating the overtaker), that's what the police are for. Won't hurt you to speed up a bit or slow down a bit and change lanes so they can get to wherever they are going , or at least away from you.

You're absolutely right, it does only come down to courtesy.

I absolutely hate tailgaters, there is never ever any excuse to do something so dangerous, and so if I am being tailgated I have zero interest in being courteous. Courtesy goes both ways.
wellington_street

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 am

Undertow wrote:Wow, i did not know that. I thought it was actually keep left. Does this mean I'm not allowed to get annoyed at those people in the 2nd and 3rd lanes going at 90kmh with empty lanes to their left?

Unfortunately it seems so. Those slowpoke people will see a happy Undertow from now on. :wink:
Summernight

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

wellington_street wrote:
Ross wrote:

You're absolutely right, it does only come down to courtesy.

I absolutely hate tailgaters, there is never ever any excuse to do something so dangerous, and so if I am being tailgated I have zero interest in being courteous. Courtesy goes both ways.

Except if you are in a tunnel, the right lane, doing the speed limit of 80km/h and a truck is right behind you, headlights on high beam, tailgating you. You can't move left because that lane is blocked too, yet I'm moving faster than they are. What do you do, go at 95-100km/h - get a speeding ticket, just to satisfy the truck driver who is deliberately tailgating?

Some of these times, it'd be nice to have one of those Aston Martin DB5s that can release the spikes on the road, wrecking the tyres on the truck and its trailer. :twisted:
g-boaf

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:58 am

g-boaf wrote:Except if you are in a tunnel, the right lane, doing the speed limit of 80km/h and a truck is right behind you, headlights on high beam, tailgating you. You can't move left because that lane is blocked too, yet I'm moving faster than they are. What do you do, go at 95-100km/h - get a speeding ticket, just to satisfy the truck driver who is deliberately tailgating?

gently slow down more and more :)
jules21

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Except if you are in a tunnel, the right lane, doing the speed limit of 80km/h and a truck is right behind you, headlights on high beam, tailgating you. You can't move left because that lane is blocked too, yet I'm moving faster than they are. What do you do, go at 95-100km/h - get a speeding ticket, just to satisfy the truck driver who is deliberately tailgating?

+1

What I do. If they don't like it, they change lanes, or just slow down themselves. If they hang on my bumper bar I will slow down more :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Boognoss » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:27 pm

il padrone wrote:
jules21 wrote:

+1

What I do. If they don't like it, they change lanes, or just slow down themselves. If they hang on my bumper bar I will slow down more :P

+2. Applies regardless of my mode of transport. The closer they get, the slower I go.

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am

Background and details of the location can be found here.

I must admit I wonder now if I should have spotted him earlier, but he appeared so quickly and I was already well and truly on the brakes.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

I "lost" him against the dark background of the building across the road - low contrast. Understandable you didn't register him until you almost collided.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Lucky you were not out wider or in a trike/velomobile. A trike would have hit him as well velomobile. All because he didn't want to slow down too much... I myself didn't see him until you didn't get off the bridge, but he should have spotted you tho
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby outnabike » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Well done Aushiker,
He was cutting the corner, not thinking another rider would come along. All looks pretty quick.
outnabike

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Argh why can't pedestrians just look for once before crossing the damn road!

Lukeyboy

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Argh why can't pedestrians just look for once before crossing the damn road!

Because 'Arold Scruloose tells them it is the vehicle operators responsibility at all times to ensure these Darwinian idiots survive to propagate their defective genes.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Argh why can't pedestrians just look for once before crossing the damn road!

Because 'Arold Scruloose tells them it is the vehicle operators responsibility at all times to ensure these Darwinian idiots survive to propagate their defective genes.

Not entirely true - a hell of a lot of his supporters on here (or devils advocates) also make it clear that pedestrians can do as they wish without consequence. :(

Is this a cycling forum or a pedestrian advocacy forum? Sometimes the discussions make you wonder...

And look at the last one, crossing the road while on the phone! has a death wish...
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah, we'll put it on his headstone: "I had right of way". :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Yeah, we'll put it on his headstone: "I had right of way". :roll:

After passing that guy on the phone he then started to walk up the road with his back to traffic on the one way road :roll: The only reason he didn't get hit by the car behind me was because he was forced to stop because someone decided to walk onto the road against the red pedestrian crossing light...
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

Postby twizzle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Boognoss wrote:
il padrone wrote:+1

+2. Applies regardless of my mode of transport. The closer they get, the slower I go.

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD

Did that recently, guy seemed incapable of getting the hint and eventually under-took in the emergency lane doing about 130 in the 100 zone. All he needed to do was stop climbing up my arse until I had finished overtaking - an extra 30 seconds.
I hope he has a single vehicle incident in the middle of nowhere and does his bit for the gene pool.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby redned » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:Background and details of the location can be found here.

I must admit I wonder now if I should have spotted him earlier, but he appeared so quickly and I was already well and truly on the brakes.

Andrew

I think that the freeway footbridge and the path on the Hector St side are footpaths not shared paths and neither of you should have been riding it.
redned

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 pm

redned wrote:I think that the freeway footbridge and the path on the Hector St side are footpaths not shared paths and neither of you should have been riding it.

You could be right ... does not change the situation that occurred and the point of video but.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion