The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby backslashio » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:11 am

Gotta love the cyclists who give me absolutely no warning they're approaching me and besides flying past they always try to leave the most narrow gap when overtaking :x There's plenty of additional width on the path, use it! Surprised I've yet to have someone crash into the back of me despite hugging the left side
backslashio

by BNA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:43 pm

BNA

Postby TraceyG » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Just had a call from my adult son who was out riding along a shared path in Geelong this morning. Stupid peds with a rat-sized dog off its leash. Owners stepped to side when they saw my son approaching on his bike, the animal stepped off with them but then decided it was more fun to terrorise a cyclist. My son's natural instinct was to brake to avoid the beastie, which resulted in him going straight over the handlebars.

Owners vaguely apologised and departed the scene. My son brushed himself off, in shock, got back on his bike and rode off but didn't get too far before realising that he was in a lot of pain and couldn't straighten his arm. Phoned his wife who came and picked him, several hours in emergency later and he has a broken arm and three weeks off work. Plus he can't ride for about six weeks, plus it's their first wedding anniversary next week, plus they are heading overseas for a holiday shortly.

He realises now that he should have gotten the owners' details but he was in too much shock. He says next he will make them call an ambulance! I have suggested he make a report to the council and ask them to send their by laws people along the path regularly to try and educate idiot dog owners.
TraceyG

Postby Percrime » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:07 pm

They would probably have lied anyway. Owners of small uncontrolled rat like dogs are not big on taking responsibility. What he should have done was take their pic. But as you said he was in shock. Never mind.. while he is off work he should haunt that path. I would
Percrime

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 pm

dogwalkers are people of habit. I'd be paying a visit back to the same spot at the same time tomorrow/next week
jasonc

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:18 pm

If the dog is rat-sized I'd be inclined not to brake and to loft the front. Easy to say, hard to do though. Natural reflex is to get on the anchors.

Pooh on the dog owners. :x
trailgumby

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:If the dog is rat-sized I'd be inclined not to brake and to loft the front. Easy to say, hard to do though. Natural reflex is to get on the anchors.

Pooh on the dog owners. :x

maybe we need to learn to aim for the owners? soft landing and their "poor little pooch" isn't hurt
jasonc

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:21 pm

I got chased by a dog a few days ago on a bikepath with no off leash area. I was in my velomobile. Dogs love barking and chasing velos like you wouldn't believe unless you've seen it. This has happened before where I've stopped and let the owner come and get the dog etc. But today I was annoyed since this dog was a large dog and a very aggressive chaser, barking and snarling quite close to me. So I sped up a little, but not too much, so as just to keep a little ahead of it. The dog could do mid 40s to start with, but after about 2kms could barely manage low 20s, before it eventually just gave up and stopped. I hope the owner paniced.
Rhubarb

Postby Slow6 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:44 pm

You could freak out every off the leash owner in the park by whizzing through with the velo adorned in sausages.

Come to think of it you might have an easier time claiming your lane later on if you had a dozen slobbering hounds on your tail.

win/win
Slow6

Postby Myrtone » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45 pm

I was riding down a shared path and there were a number of people standing on that path, I sounded the bell and told them off, one of the cursed at me, and anothre told me "this is a shared path." Yes, but that surely dosen't mean that peds can just do what they want, they sholud no more disrupt velopedestrian (pedal powered vehicular) traffic, anymore than any road user may disrupt vehicular traffic.
Myrtone

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:44 pm

TraceyG wrote:Owners vaguely apologised and departed the scene. My son brushed himself off, in shock, got back on his bike and rode off but didn't get too far before realising that he was in a lot of pain and couldn't straighten his arm. Phoned his wife who came and picked him, several hours in emergency later and he has a broken arm and three weeks off work. Plus he can't ride for about six weeks, plus it's their first wedding anniversary next week, plus they are heading overseas for a holiday shortly.

He realises now that he should have gotten the owners' details but he was in too much shock. He says next he will make them call an ambulance! I have suggested he make a report to the council and ask them to send their by laws people along the path regularly to try and educate idiot dog owners.

Be careful about that, hasn't there been some quite heated discussion about dogs chasing cyclists recently on here? :lol: Hope your son mends well.

I've had a few close encounters with dogs not on a leash. I've slowed down to a crawl, and then the silly owner calls her dog across in front of me! :roll: She had headphones on - but as I went past, I did mention that it "should be on a leash" (the sign was nearby too). :roll:

This mornings silly happenings also involved dogs and pedestrians - in both cases though, riding the bike while walking the dog (or dogs in the second case). Case one, guy riding while walking his bull terrier type dog. He eventually stopped off to the side of the path when he noticed I made no attempt at all to pass him, and his dog. Case two, lady riding with her two dogs running alongside. If those dogs decided to make a run for it, their owners would have been on the ground. :roll: Very silly.

The councils need to crack down on people with their dogs not on a leash in areas where it isn't allowed. Not only for cyclists, but for other people walking too.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Postby Percrime » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:03 pm

They need to crack down on them where the dog is on the path in a leash free area too. If the owner cannot demonstrate the animal is under control they should cop a ticket.
Percrime

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Percrime wrote:They need to crack down on them where the dog is on the path in a leash free area too. If the owner cannot demonstrate the animal is under control they should cop a ticket.

I can say it's a lot more peaceful riding around industrial back-roads at night with no traffic about. They are totally smooth and no pedestrians or their hounds to worry about. :D
g-boaf

Postby London Boy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 pm

TraceyG wrote:Just had a call from my adult son who was out riding along a shared path in Geelong this morning. Stupid peds with a rat-sized dog off its leash. Owners stepped to side when they saw my son approaching on his bike, the animal stepped off with them but then decided it was more fun to terrorise a cyclist. My son's natural instinct was to brake to avoid the beastie, which resulted in him going straight over the handlebars.

So the next time it won't sound like crash, it will sound more like buddum buddum...
London Boy

Postby slamtheman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am

I seem to have more and more incidents with dog owners on shared paths when cycling with my kids. Even on a leash I had problems as they often just stop in the middle of the path, and extend out their leash so the most of the path is blocked. Had a few exchanges with owners, just glad I am not on my own here. (I own a dog too btw and he doesnt chase bikes or try and bite rotating feet/legs either).
slamtheman

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

Yesterday at dusk I came across the same lady I mentioned earlier riding her bike with two dogs running alongside. I don't remember her having any lights on her bike either. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Yesterday driving along Millers Road Altona Vic near Cherry Lake ( Dual Carriage way with bike lanes), Saw idiot cyclist riding the wrong way into oncoming traffic in the bike lane, had a nice flouro vest on , headphones and must have liked his bald spot on the back of his scone as his lid was angled that way.

Quite often you get bunches on that rode so imagine what the salmon would have done if they had have come his way. :shock:
Saturnstarzz

Postby macski » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm

We've had some annoying (and one scary) episodes with pedestrians who have dogs off leashes on shared paths.

The scary one was a bloke who had four huge Rottweilers - none on a leash. They charged as a pack towards my partner who was in front of me then charged toward me after he had just managed to get past. Owner, of course, hurled abuse at us.

The most recent one was a border collie who was running along about 20 metres behind its owner. Fortunately it stayed on a predictable course although the owner looked back and gave it a command to 'go left' which it ignored. As we rode past the owner my partner said (politely) 'your dog should be on a leash mate, it's a $150 fine'. The owner, summoning his best witty comeback said 'you should be on a leash'. Still trying to work that one out.
macski

Postby akaBurnsy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Last May, I'd just finished work and headed home on my (loud) Husky SMS630 at dusk. A block from work, I had two seperate groups of peds walk out in front of me with out looking...until gave them a toot. Only made it another another block when a cyclist rode across my path. He ran a red (I had a green) on the wrong side of the road with no lights/reflectors at dusk. Needless to say, I didn't have time to avoid the him and t-boned the goose at around 50ks an hour. The Husky was written off and I broke my left cuboid. He ended up with a tyre mark up his right leg, bruised ribs and a bent bike. I guess it was his lucky day....I had to give up running for 6 months and still get foot pain...on the bright side I got a full insurance pay out and replaced running with cycling/commuting.
akaBurnsy

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 am

macski wrote:We've had some annoying (and one scary) episodes with pedestrians who have dogs off leashes on shared paths.

The scary one was a bloke who had four huge Rottweilers - none on a leash. They charged as a pack towards my partner who was in front of me then charged toward me after he had just managed to get past. Owner, of course, hurled abuse at us.

The most recent one was a border collie who was running along about 20 metres behind its owner. Fortunately it stayed on a predictable course although the owner looked back and gave it a command to 'go left' which it ignored. As we rode past the owner my partner said (politely) 'your dog should be on a leash mate, it's a $150 fine'. The owner, summoning his best witty comeback said 'you should be on a leash'. Still trying to work that one out.

Apparently you are supposed to share the path. ;) which would mean letting others treat you like a door mat. According to previous online discussions.

Perhaps you need to engage the help of Harold Scruby to sort out the dogs not on a leash.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:53 am

akaBurnsy wrote:I guess it was his lucky day....I had to give up running for 6 months and still get foot pain...on the bright side I got a full insurance pay out and replaced running with cycling/commuting.

welcome, I think
jasonc

Postby Postieboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

Dumb cyclists was me on thismornings commute. :oops:

Touched the white line, and down I went.

Postieboy

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 am

Ouch Postieboy. Are you (and the bike) okay?
Summernight

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am

Postieboy wrote:Dumb cyclists was me on thismornings commute. :oops:

Touched the white line, and down I went.

Ouch. Is the bike OK :wink:
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby akaBurnsy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm

jasonc wrote:welcome, I think

Easy. What's with the animosity? I'm glad he wasn't hurt.
akaBurnsy

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm

akaBurnsy wrote:
jasonc wrote:welcome, I think

Easy. What's with the animosity? I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

phew
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion