The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby slamtheman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am

I seem to have more and more incidents with dog owners on shared paths when cycling with my kids. Even on a leash I had problems as they often just stop in the middle of the path, and extend out their leash so the most of the path is blocked. Had a few exchanges with owners, just glad I am not on my own here. (I own a dog too btw and he doesnt chase bikes or try and bite rotating feet/legs either).
slamtheman

by BNA » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

Yesterday at dusk I came across the same lady I mentioned earlier riding her bike with two dogs running alongside. I don't remember her having any lights on her bike either. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Yesterday driving along Millers Road Altona Vic near Cherry Lake ( Dual Carriage way with bike lanes), Saw idiot cyclist riding the wrong way into oncoming traffic in the bike lane, had a nice flouro vest on , headphones and must have liked his bald spot on the back of his scone as his lid was angled that way.

Quite often you get bunches on that rode so imagine what the salmon would have done if they had have come his way. :shock:
Saturnstarzz

Postby macski » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm

We've had some annoying (and one scary) episodes with pedestrians who have dogs off leashes on shared paths.

The scary one was a bloke who had four huge Rottweilers - none on a leash. They charged as a pack towards my partner who was in front of me then charged toward me after he had just managed to get past. Owner, of course, hurled abuse at us.

The most recent one was a border collie who was running along about 20 metres behind its owner. Fortunately it stayed on a predictable course although the owner looked back and gave it a command to 'go left' which it ignored. As we rode past the owner my partner said (politely) 'your dog should be on a leash mate, it's a $150 fine'. The owner, summoning his best witty comeback said 'you should be on a leash'. Still trying to work that one out.
macski

Postby akaBurnsy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Last May, I'd just finished work and headed home on my (loud) Husky SMS630 at dusk. A block from work, I had two seperate groups of peds walk out in front of me with out looking...until gave them a toot. Only made it another another block when a cyclist rode across my path. He ran a red (I had a green) on the wrong side of the road with no lights/reflectors at dusk. Needless to say, I didn't have time to avoid the him and t-boned the goose at around 50ks an hour. The Husky was written off and I broke my left cuboid. He ended up with a tyre mark up his right leg, bruised ribs and a bent bike. I guess it was his lucky day....I had to give up running for 6 months and still get foot pain...on the bright side I got a full insurance pay out and replaced running with cycling/commuting.
akaBurnsy

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 am

macski wrote:We've had some annoying (and one scary) episodes with pedestrians who have dogs off leashes on shared paths.

The scary one was a bloke who had four huge Rottweilers - none on a leash. They charged as a pack towards my partner who was in front of me then charged toward me after he had just managed to get past. Owner, of course, hurled abuse at us.

The most recent one was a border collie who was running along about 20 metres behind its owner. Fortunately it stayed on a predictable course although the owner looked back and gave it a command to 'go left' which it ignored. As we rode past the owner my partner said (politely) 'your dog should be on a leash mate, it's a $150 fine'. The owner, summoning his best witty comeback said 'you should be on a leash'. Still trying to work that one out.

Apparently you are supposed to share the path. ;) which would mean letting others treat you like a door mat. According to previous online discussions.

Perhaps you need to engage the help of Harold Scruby to sort out the dogs not on a leash.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:53 am

akaBurnsy wrote:I guess it was his lucky day....I had to give up running for 6 months and still get foot pain...on the bright side I got a full insurance pay out and replaced running with cycling/commuting.

welcome, I think
jasonc

Postby Postieboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

Dumb cyclists was me on thismornings commute. :oops:

Touched the white line, and down I went.

Postieboy

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 am

Ouch Postieboy. Are you (and the bike) okay?
Summernight

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am

Postieboy wrote:Dumb cyclists was me on thismornings commute. :oops:

Ouch. Is the bike OK :wink:
find_bruce

Postby akaBurnsy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm

jasonc wrote:welcome, I think

Easy. What's with the animosity? I'm glad he wasn't hurt.
akaBurnsy

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm

akaBurnsy wrote:
jasonc wrote:welcome, I think

Easy. What's with the animosity? I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

phew
jasonc

Postby Postieboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Summernight wrote:Ouch Postieboy. Are you (and the bike) okay?

Yeah all good just a bit of bark off. I busted the rear derallieur hanger and put plenty of new scratches on the bike but that's about it.

Lesson learnt. :oops:
Postieboy

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Postieboy wrote:

Yeah all good just a bit of bark off. I busted the rear derallieur hanger and put plenty of new scratches on the bike but that's about it.

I watched that earlier today, ouch that looked bad. :shock: I always give painted lines and metal covers a lot of respect. Mend quickly.
g-boaf

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Footscray road this morning on top of the bridge at the lights get a chap ( he shall be known as MR avanti) who decides to cut me and 3 others peeps off so he can lead us down the hill.

Get to the near the bottom and Mr Avanti decides to slam on his brakes in the middle of the path with no warning and there's almost a pile up.

Lucky I was watching him and not lady in front. :lol: :shock:
Saturnstarzz

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Postieboy wrote:

Yeah, ouch. Any kind of dampness and white roadmarking paint DO NOT mix. Man, I winced when I saw your brake hoods dragging on the pavement for so long. How's your skin? :shock:

My dad tells me a story of a motorcycle cop chatting to him at the traffic lights a few years ago. Cop says: "You really have to watch this paint, it's deadly."

Light goes green. Cop promptly dumps Honda 750 on the pavement. "I should take my own advice. :oops: "

I had a highside at Kirribilli once on a dry day. Rear stepped out and then caught again rolling throu the right turn at a set of lights, and up and over I went. I think I just tagged the edge of the right turn arrow with the back tyre.

I hate roadmarking paint.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Marto » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Another ouch for Postieboy. I can only imagine how painful your scratched up bits are :shock:

Here is one from yesterday, in a section of road that has had roadworks for over a month. The vid shows some cyclists passing cars to the left just before the road narrows to a width that wont allow them to continue passing on the left. The cars are stopped because of a traffic controller up ahead a bit (in a spot with good sight lines to traffic on this side of the road).

Passing on the left here doesn't gain much time, and probably will only serve to annoy motorists. A bit dangerous, too, but the overall speeds are pretty low.

I called out to the guy immediately ahead of me "Looks like a squeeze going up there". He said "yeah" or something like that.

Better clean my camera lens :oops:
Marto

Postby malnar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Cyclist riding towards me after dark last night on the unlit shared path. I was on a sweeping bend so only saw him in my light's beam just before we went by each other. Seeing me approaching, you'd hope a ninja would do the right thing & get off the path, but not this one.
malnar

Postby birdbrain » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Postieboy wrote:
Dumb cyclists was me on thismornings commute.

Man you were flying :lol:
birdbrain

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:03 pm

some blasphemy, poor vision.
jules21

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 am

Bugger Postieboy. It's the bike we are worried about. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby BigBadWOLF » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:45 am

To the idiot Cyclist in the purple polka dot shirt this morning on College st sydney, you dont own the road mate, first you nearly took me out at the lights by whizzing past when it was red then, If the 10 cyclist before you stop for the red light so shoud you. by overtaking everyone you just missed the poor bloke crossing the road.
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)
BigBadWOLF

Postby Myrtone » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 am

Are you sure they are an "idiot?" Just because they aren't cycling "sensibly" and according to the rules doesn't mean they are less intelligent, maybe their brain doesn't work the right way to understand things that you do. Maybe they were colour defficient (if they have an accident or ticket they are unlikely to voulenteer that information), maybe they were anticipating that the traffic light they weare facing would already be, or turn green and then it didn't. I know it's very common for techically minded men to think this way, but still. Remember that this cyclist is not a proffesional, are they, they are not getting paid for it, they would almost certainly by transporting themself on their bike, not onboard for the sake of controlling it, nor are they required to follow a specific route and may be going to a destination of their choice.
Myrtone

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:19 am

...but on the other hand, stupid is as stupid does. :wink:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:51 am

To each their own, Myrtone. Personally I would have said that if the guy is colour blind or deficient in some respect then he should take MORE cues from the 10 cyclists in front of him who were stopping for the light. There is usually a reason why a bunch of sheeples (or in this case independently minded cyclists :wink: ) are stopping. Not being a professional is never an excuse for a car and nor should it be for a cyclist.

And some people are just plain stupid, even if they are intelligent in other aspects.

Until the law is changed, running reds is illegal, no matter what you think of it and when people run them they are making a conscious choice to do so. If someone cannot read the cues of traffic or cannot see the colour of the lights then they really shouldn't be riding/driving or whatever without serious training to mitigate the problem (if possible).

Just my two cents.

I was going to comment on his purple polka dot top. Is that the 'King of the Red Light Running' jersey? Or the 'King of the Push in Front' jersey? Also known as a Knob. :wink:
Summernight

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion