The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Ross wrote:...so I just hung back chillaxing until things were clear...

I do that all the time too. It's a good strategy.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

by BNA » Fri May 31, 2013 10:35 am

BNA

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:35 am

Driving home after picking the kiddies up from sports last night and pull up at T intersection with moderately busy rode. Have to give way both ways as turning right with indicator on so just waiting, cyclist pulls up on my left, gets off bike and starts to walk across the road to my left on a pedestrian crossing.

All good.

Check right, nothing coming, check left, cyclist nearly half way across road to my left and nothing coming so pull out checking right again and still clear. Look forward and cyclist is right in front of me! Jump on breaks and Mrs in passenger seat calls "look out". Cyclist rides through.

He had got to half way cross the road, remounted his bike and turned right straight into the lane (not at the left side) and hence right in front of me pulling out from intersection.

Silly bugger, cross the road on the pedestrian crossing by all means but cross to the other side THEN remount, don't remount half way across and then turn across traffic!
Scarfy96

Postby Summernight » Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 am

Me this morning. Van turning left in front of me so I braked and went behind (so as not to overtake on his left) and then I thought "I can pass on the right". The road was wet and I went to go over the little yellow humpy thing that they have placed beside tram lines (to tell cars that if they go over this hump they will be blocking the tram). It has a lip and is rounded. I didn't cross it at enough of an angle and down I went as the front wheel didn't follow my trajectory and went out from under me. Boo.

Luckily no cars or trams nearby. Silly of me and I should have just waited the extra 2 seconds behind the van so it could move further left and out of my way so I could pass without having to fight with the tram line hump. That'll teach me for playing with road obstacles in the wet.
Summernight

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Summernight wrote:Me this morning. Van turning left in front of me so I braked and went behind (so as not to overtake on his left) and then I thought "I can pass on the right". The road was wet and I went to go over the little yellow humpy thing that they have placed beside tram lines (to tell cars that if they go over this hump they will be blocking the tram). It has a lip and is rounded. I didn't cross it at enough of an angle and down I went as the front wheel didn't follow my trajectory and went out from under me. Boo.

Luckily no cars or trams nearby. Silly of me and I should have just waited the extra 2 seconds behind the van so it could move further left and out of my way so I could pass without having to fight with the tram line hump. That'll teach me for playing with road obstacles in the wet.

:(

How's the bike? :D

We know you're pretty much OK 'cos you're telling us about it :wink: Hope whatever's damaged heals quick :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Summernight » Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Summernight wrote:Me this morning. Van turning left in front of me so I braked and went behind (so as not to overtake on his left) and then I thought "I can pass on the right". The road was wet and I went to go over the little yellow humpy thing that they have placed beside tram lines (to tell cars that if they go over this hump they will be blocking the tram). It has a lip and is rounded. I didn't cross it at enough of an angle and down I went as the front wheel didn't follow my trajectory and went out from under me. Boo.

:(

How's the bike? :D

We know you're pretty much OK 'cos you're telling us about it :wink: Hope whatever's damaged heals quick :)

Yeah, I'm okay although the pelvis/tailbone took the whole of my weight as it hit the ground so is telling me off at the moment. It's a dull pain now and will be pretty sore tomorrow. Going to be fun sleeping tonight! Nothing else hit the road as far as I can tell which was really lucky. My lycra didn't rip (although I did have 3 layers of it on so maybe that is why) so no walk of shame either. The right cycling shoe now has no grip on the underside heel as all that black stuff was scraped off by the slide. Not that it was grippy anyway.

As for the bike the right hand shifter/brifter is now scraped at the top (it took the brunt of the bike's weight I believe). Apart from that, the front mudguard being put out of alignment, and the chain coming off I couldn't see any further damage from the quick look I had. I'll be looking more closely at lunch, hoping I don't find anything else.
Summernight

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 31, 2013 4:36 pm

I am not sure whether to respect this guys skills or to treat him as a silly cyclist. It is hard to see on the video but the rider was at times riding no hands taking photos of the ocean.

I think he gave the cyclist coming up the hill a fright as well, as he called out something as the fixie rider pulled up on the side of the path.

This was on the northern descent into Scarborough Beach, Scarborough, Western Australia

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Ranga Tang » Fri May 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Winner in Wollongong.

8am Springhill Rd northbound, full of crack head car drivers, insane trucks and bitchin' b-doubles all trying to get to work faster than Ayrton Senna.

Here's Mr Bike Rider in the left hand lane, going around 35kph, totally legal, but with a death wish.

Considering there is a perfectly safe cycle way 10m away on the other side of the road!!

Not only does he put his life at risk, but all three lanes bog down too which makes it worse.

FFS use the cycleway in peak hour!!!!
Ranga Tang

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Me tonight, Going past Etihad stadium in the rain , Non drive side crank Falls OFF :shock: and bounces down the hill, Roadie behind me almost cleaned it up and tells me you dropped something as he screams past.

Fitted new cranks on the Single speed MTB 2 weeks ago and Clearly didn't tighten them properly.

Call the missus form costco and she picks me up, still very sheepish about the whole thing. :oops:
Saturnstarzz

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:Me tonight, Going past Etihad stadium in the rain , Non drive side crank Falls OFF :shock: and bounces down the hill, Roadie behind me almost cleaned it up and tells me you dropped something as he screams past.

Fitted new cranks on the Single speed MTB 2 weeks ago and Clearly didn't tighten them properly.

Call the missus form costco and she picks me up, still very sheepish about the whole thing. :oops:

Torque wrench for higher NM is needed obviously, add that to your tool list
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:Me tonight, Going past Etihad stadium in the rain , Non drive side crank Falls OFF :shock: and bounces down the hill, Roadie behind me almost cleaned it up and tells me you dropped something as he screams past.

I work very close to that footy ground, coulda walked in and rolled out if you managed to retrieve the crank.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Oh yeah...
If it's a square taper crank, the internal taper may have been borked by the spindle if it spent any time loose before dropping off.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 31, 2013 11:00 pm

An advantage of spds that I had never thought of - when your crank falls off you know where to find it :shock:

Glad to hear you are only embarrassed :D
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:23 am

Mulger bill wrote:Oh yeah...
If it's a square taper crank, the internal taper may have been borked by the spindle if it spent any time loose before dropping off.

in that case at least it's only a BB you'd have to replace (and maybe a pedal arm)

find_bruce wrote:An advantage of spds that I had never thought of - when your crank falls off you know where to find it :shock:

Glad to hear you are only embarrassed :D

now THAT would be funny

hope you found your bits saturnstarzz
jasonc

Postby Saturnstarzz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:13 am

Yeah found all the bits ok.
From now on will take my multitool everywhere, Their Funn Cranks based on a hollowtech design. Seems to be "Known issue" after googliing it.
Time to dig out the Loctite and to the shed this morning to fix it, thanks for the offer Shaun.
Saturnstarzz

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:58 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Oh yeah...

in that case at least it's only a BB you'd have to replace (and maybe a pedal arm)

The BB spindle would be fine, toughened steel vs a loose alloy crankarm will have the crank taper blown out in about a dozen revs. Ask me how I know :oops:
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Pedestrian walking down the middle of an 80km/h dual carrigeway road (as in the road lane, not the traffic island/median strip) in the dark when it's raining. Darwin Award candidate...
Ross

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Driving down the F3 freeway last night in the dark and rain. Caught a fleeting glimpse of something in the breakdown lane. Looked closely and realised it was a bike ninja, all in black, naturally, and with no lights, naturally. I don't know if he had a helmet on because he had his hoody up.
rdp_au

Postby tergal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm

1 on the way home last night, riding my mtb commuter

To the bloke on the road bike, sprinting to pass me 3 times on jacaranda avenue , please buy some lights you have a nice bike and you have a helmet so get some lights to match !. ( no i wasn't sprinting to pass him , but i have a bit of a gravity advantage going down hill :) )
tergal

Postby JBark » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:Yeah found all the bits ok.
From now on will take my multitool everywhere, Their Funn Cranks based on a hollowtech design. Seems to be "Known issue" after googliing it.
Time to dig out the Loctite and to the shed this morning to fix it, thanks for the offer Shaun.

Yeah, if they're anything like the FSA hollowtech-ish cranks, they'll fall off all the time until you loctite the bolts. My FSA cranks fell of twice in a couple months, and I was even pretty good about checking the bolts with a torque wrench every couple weeks when doing other maintenance. All good after using some blue loctite.

It's not fun to put your cranks back together when it's about 3C and raining. Was not a happy camper when I got to work that day. :)
JBark

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 pm

tergal wrote:1 on the way home last night, riding my mtb commuter

To the bloke on the road bike, sprinting to pass me 3 times on jacaranda avenue , please buy some lights you have a nice bike and you have a helmet so get some lights to match !. ( no i wasn't sprinting to pass him , but i have a bit of a gravity advantage going down hill :) )

Good bikes deserve a good light. It's the finishing touch.I don't care if the lights add a few hundred grams, I'd prefer to see where I'm going and be seen too.
g-boaf

Postby tubby74 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm

awards to the hipster cycling the wrong way around centennial park this morning and the struggling middle aged jogger running the wrong way taking up most of the cycle lane in olympic park ignoring the nice wide walking path not 2 metres away
tubby74

Postby kenwstr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Sunset while still on a ride so I stick to the shared path to finish the ride in less than 10 C. Anyway, long straight by the playing fields I see a shadow staggering back and forth across the path toward me. Ever tried to dodge a drunk in the dark? It's like Russian Roulette, no room to turn around, do you stop and possible get in a barney, aim for the side he is on now assuming he won't be there when you arrive, go for the gap only to find he does too, what? I can just see it now, "cyclist runs down indigenous elder on pathway". Found him again on the way home. At my approach, he decided to have a little lie down on the path which at least kept a quarter clear to pass safely. Managed to miss him both times but it was definitely unpredictable and I see no real answer here.

Ken
kenwstr

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 am

kenwstr wrote:Sunset while still on a ride so I stick to the shared path to finish the ride in less than 10 C. Anyway, long straight by the playing fields I see a shadow staggering back and forth across the path toward me. Ever tried to dodge a drunk in the dark? It's like Russian Roulette, no room to turn around, do you stop and possible get in a barney, aim for the side he is on now assuming he won't be there when you arrive, go for the gap only to find he does too, what? I can just see it now, "cyclist runs down indigenous elder on pathway". Found him again on the way home. At my approach, he decided to have a little lie down on the path which at least kept a quarter clear to pass safely. Managed to miss him both times but it was definitely unpredictable and I see no real answer here.

Ken

Had the absolute crap scared out of me that way. Going through a open 90 degree corner at a decent speed and mid corner I see that there is this drunk about 50m from the apex smack bang in the middle of the lane walking/stumbling towards me. He see's the bright headlight and tries to move but gets the left right left right wobbles deer in the headlights and suddenly launches his wine or extra large VB bottle straight up into the darkness. As he's falling towards the ground he's screaming like he was about to die and just as he hits the ground he tries to panic crawl out of the way despite me now only doing about 10-15kph 10m from him. I scrubbed off speed and braced myself to be clobbered by a flying glass bottle. I heard it smash and as I got along side the bloke now laying in the middle of the street I 'asked' him what the hell he was doing. I've cleaned it up but he just replied "holy s**t holy s**t your a clucking push bike. I thought you were a clucking motorbike.... next time i'll knock you off your bike blah blah blah". I replied with a few choice words and as I started to ride off he says something I couldn't make out and then stumbled shoulder first into the back of a parked car setting off the alarm. By this time the house veranda lights of a couple houses now turned on :lol: :lol:

Stay classy Sandgate!
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:00 am

dear cyclists.

sunrise in Brisbane at the moment is 6:30am. any time you are riding before that time, you require a light, and it has to be bloody turned on.
sunset is 17:00. same applies for after that time.

iriots. :roll:
jasonc

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:00 am

@lukeyboy if I didn't know better I'd say you were making that up.
Dan

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion