The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 pm

2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

by BNA » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm

My pet peeve is pedestrians plugged out on the shared path. You all know the ones, no mater what you do, they carry on oblivious, aware only in their own head space and occupying the entire width of the path. Then there are the mums with strollers who stop to attend to bub with the stroller on one side and then on the other. Or the retirees who on finally hearing your pleas to pass, think it's a conversation opportunity as they stand on either side with not enough room between them. I almost ran into a jogger once time. Saw him coming the other way some distance off so moved left. Ok so he'll move left... Everybody moves left.... He must have seen me so will move left..... he will move left... LOOK UP..... FAIL! He eventually did actually see me, well, saw my front tire between his legs after I crashed the bridge rail to stop that is.

Honestly I don't get it, they have a whole maintained grass reserve, trees and river to explore yet insist upon forcing the bikes off the concrete path.
When I'm walking down there, the last place I want to be is on the path.


Ken
kenwstr
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Some of the riders in a bunch on the M7 today stupidly overtaking when they could see me going in the other direction at reasonable speed.

Seriously, wait a moment and then do your overtaking when the way is clear. :x


kenwstr wrote:My pet peeve is pedestrians plugged out on the shared path. You all know the ones, no mater what you do, they carry on oblivious, aware only in their own head space and occupying the entire width of the path. Then there are the mums with strollers who stop to attend to bub with the stroller on one side and then on the other. Or the retirees who on finally hearing your pleas to pass, think it's a conversation opportunity as they stand on either side with not enough room between them. I almost ran into a jogger once time. Saw him coming the other way some distance off so moved left. Ok so he'll move left... Everybody moves left.... He must have seen me so will move left..... he will move left... LOOK UP..... FAIL! He eventually did actually see me, well, saw my front tire between his legs after I crashed the bridge rail to stop that is.

Honestly I don't get it, they have a whole maintained grass reserve, trees and river to explore yet insist upon forcing the bikes off the concrete path.
When I'm walking down there, the last place I want to be is on the path.


Ken


I'm surprised you haven't been lectured that you have to give way to pedestrians. :lol:
Image
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Dumb cyclist today was me, riding down a hill I encountered one of those pretty roundabouts with shrubbery in the middle. Unfortuntely it was an odd-shaped roundabout where the exit was a lot sharper than the entry. Way overcooked it going in and couldn't make the turn, locked the rear wheel, un-locked and then re-locked again after realising that no matter what I was hitting something. Ended up sliding sideways into the gutter and getting turfed off the bike onto the footpath (which was grass luckily). Only got a few scratches and no damage to the bike but jeeze I was being a bit stupid.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You were just practicing how to park your bike Blues Brothers style. Keep practicicing... you'll get it right soon :)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 9918
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun May 19, 2013 5:45 am

trailgumby wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:Dumb cyclist today was me, riding down a hill I encountered one of those pretty roundabouts with shrubbery in the middle. Unfortuntely it was an odd-shaped roundabout where the exit was a lot sharper than the entry. Way overcooked it going in and couldn't make the turn, locked the rear wheel, un-locked and then re-locked again after realising that no matter what I was hitting something. Ended up sliding sideways into the gutter and getting turfed off the bike onto the footpath (which was grass luckily). Only got a few scratches and no damage to the bike but jeeze I was being a bit stupid.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You were just practicing how to park your bike Blues Brothers style. Keep practicicing... you'll get it right soon :)


The best thing was that as soon as everything came to rest a kookaburra started laughing at me...
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby danny the boy » Sun May 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Get out early this morning to beat the traffic and end up riding around for 2.5 hours in the rain until the last 5k it clears up and has now turned into a sunny afternoon. This dumb cyclist should check the weather forecast more often.
Image
danny the boy
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Sun May 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Rider that came to our regular Sunday group ride dressed only in short knicks and summer jersey when the temp was -4 (app temp -7). He did have arm warmers though and lightweight full finger gloves. :shock:
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Ross wrote:Rider that came to our regular Sunday group ride dressed only in short knicks and summer jersey when the temp was -4 (app temp -7). He did have arm warmers though and lightweight full finger gloves. :shock:


I think I mentioned last year seeing a guy with short Knicks on a TT bike going like a bar out of hell down Northbourne in -5C. Some people are just soooo insensitive. ;)


Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby DavidS » Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 pm

twizzle wrote:
Ross wrote:Rider that came to our regular Sunday group ride dressed only in short knicks and summer jersey when the temp was -4 (app temp -7). He did have arm warmers though and lightweight full finger gloves. :shock:


I think I mentioned last year seeing a guy with short Knicks on a TT bike going like a bat out of hell down Northbourne in -5C. Some people are just soooo insensitive. ;)


Sent from my iThingy...


He might have been going like a bat out of hell to generate some heat.

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Mon May 20, 2013 6:35 am

DavidS wrote:
twizzle wrote:I think I mentioned last year seeing a guy with short Knicks on a TT bike going like a bat out of hell down Northbourne in -5C. Some people are just soooo insensitive. ;)


Sent from my iThingy...


He might have been going like a bat out of hell to generate some heat.

DS


No. You can't beat wind-chill. Well... maybe he though you could, which just makes him even more dumb.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 am

twizzle wrote:You can't beat wind-chill


+1
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5131
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

I'm the moron today. :oops: Come up to a 4-way T intersection on a suburban street that I ride through every morning and go to turn right.I look left, all clear and start to look right even though I've never ever seen a car coming from this direction and continue to ride into the intersection and there is a car coming. I manage to jam on the front brake and the bike does a "stoppie" (rear wheel lifts in the air) so I release the brake and of course this starts the forward motion again into the intersection and into the path of the car. Luckily they weren't going fast and manged to pull up and avoid hitting me. I nodded my head in appreciation to the driver being on the ball. On the the off-chance they happen to be reading this forum I apologise profusely for my stupidity. :(
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Which is why most accidents happen close to home. You run on auto-pilot and your brain makes assumptions about what it expects to happen.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 pm



For better sound, including what the p1ssed-off pedestrian said, turn up your volume, because I was using the fully-waterproof camera cover. If you understand what the pedestrian said, please let me know. My hearing is sub-standard, so I just can't work out what she said.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Mon May 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Couldn't quite hear what she said but I suspect it was expressing anger that you passed so close (which you did).
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Think it was "You Rude Pri**" (swear word slang for male sexual organ) directed at the bloke in front of you.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm

biker jk wrote:Couldn't quite hear what she said but I suspect it was expressing anger that you passed so close (which you did).

Sorry, but you're wrong, I moved over to the right hand side of the path to overtake her, because unlike the cyclist in front of me, I believe in sharing the path and giving pedestrians plenty of clearance. If you pause the video at the 10 second point, you'll see how far to the right I was.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 pm

warthog1 wrote:Think it was "You Rude Pri**" (swear word slang for male sexual organ) directed at the bloke in front of you.

Sounds about right. OPs pass was closer than I'd like on wheels or foot but the bloke in front was way beyond decent.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25271
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:Some of the riders in a bunch on the M7 today stupidly overtaking when they could see me going in the other direction at reasonable speed.

Seriously, wait a moment and then do your overtaking when the way is clear. :x


kenwstr wrote:My pet peeve is pedestrians plugged out on the shared path. You all know the ones, no mater what you do, they carry on oblivious, aware only in their own head space and occupying the entire width of the path. Then there are the mums with strollers who stop to attend to bub with the stroller on one side and then on the other. Or the retirees who on finally hearing your pleas to pass, think it's a conversation opportunity as they stand on either side with not enough room between them. I almost ran into a jogger once time. Saw him coming the other way some distance off so moved left. Ok so he'll move left... Everybody moves left.... He must have seen me so will move left..... he will move left... LOOK UP..... FAIL! He eventually did actually see me, well, saw my front tire between his legs after I crashed the bridge rail to stop that is.

Honestly I don't get it, they have a whole maintained grass reserve, trees and river to explore yet insist upon forcing the bikes off the concrete path.
When I'm walking down there, the last place I want to be is on the path.


Ken


I'm surprised you haven't been lectured that you have to give way to pedestrians. :lol:


I do give way to pedestrians. It's just that I happen to think a little cooperation when using a shared public resource is a nice thing too. You know, little things like being aware of other people around you. The Jogger incident happened because I was giving way by keeping left to give an oncoming pedestrian plenty of room. If I had been a pedestrian too, the same result would still have occurred because he had been admiring his own shoes for more than 50m.

When using a path in a park, pedestrians have the ability to go anywhere both on and off the path, bicycles can't leave the path. Therefore, I think the polite and considerate thing to do is to allow the bike to pass rather than force them to get multiple cat eye punctures and then walk the bike home. At least that was always my policy when walking there long before I started riding there. There is plenty of room for cyclists & pedestrians to pass each other as long as they stay to one side. So what's the big problem that a 2 ft wide person has to occupy the whole path? It's like being a guest at a party and eating the whole cake. Who does that?

Ken
Last edited by kenwstr on Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenwstr
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Any further right and I would have risked leaving the path :roll: . As I mentioned, pause the video at 10 or 11 seconds, and check where I was.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 20, 2013 7:24 pm

VRE wrote:Any further right and I would have risked leaving the path :roll: . As I mentioned, pause the video at 10 or 11 seconds, and check where I was.



For what it's worth, I think the rider ahead passed much closer than you. It's hard to be sure of your line because the camera is obviously not centred with the bikes direction of travel. Honestly, the 2 bikes passed in so quick succession I think that given a little time for her to recover and respond, she was probably reacting to the 1st cyclist or perhaps you were implicated as a buddy of the leading cyclist. The very wide angle lens and off centre shot do make it hard to determine your line on the path.

Regards,
Ken
kenwstr
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Baalzamon » Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm

This is where a bell may have avoided her reaction
Think she got shocked by the 1st pass and then you few seconds behind even tho the pass was decent gave her another shock
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Yep, I just call out passing on left, right etc. and then buzz on by at 30 clicks :twisted:

Just kidding, it's 40 really. :shock:


Ken
kenwstr
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby dmwill » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Driving home this evening around 6....get onto Reid Highway from Alexander Drive....got upto 90kph about to merge...glance in my mirror, look ahead and see I'm about to merge with a cyclist with no lights on.

Hit brakes to avoid said cyclist and nearly side swipe the car I was meant to merge ahead of.

Why said cyclist did not use the intended crossing before the merge point was completely beyond me.

Image
dmwill
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Perth, NOR

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Alien27 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

VRE wrote:

For better sound, including what the p1ssed-off pedestrian said, turn up your volume, because I was using the fully-waterproof camera cover. If you understand what the pedestrian said, please let me know. My hearing is sub-standard, so I just can't work out what she said.


Pedestrian was spot on in her description of the guy in front of you. He should cop a massive fine. He had to have come with in a few mm of her. I think you had a good passing distance but still I wouldn't pass a pedestrian at that speed (perhaps it just seemed faster in the video). I'm at jogging/running speed unless I can see they have acknowledged my bell or call. And even then i slow right down, you two didn't seem to adjust your speed at all. A driver that does that to us on the road would at the very least be not driving to the conditions.

Just my 2c
:(
Tom
Image
User avatar
Alien27
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm
Location: Sydney

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Grgic, jd73, MSNbot Media



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist