The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 am

I figured this thread is for little rants, and I've popped a few in. but it is also to warn others among us on things to watch out for in the hope that collisions and other incidents may be avoided. There is also the chance that someone may find and post a strategy to assist those errant dummies correcting their ways that we may be able to implement without trying to start a war.

Edit: stupid autocorrect. 'Trying' not 'young'
Last edited by bychosis on Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

by BNA » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am

BNA

Postby thomashouseman » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am

bychosis wrote:I figured this thread is for little rants, and I've popped a few in. but it is also to warn others among us on things to watch out for in the hope that collisions and other incidents may be avoided. There is also the chance that someone may find and post a strategy to assist those errant dummies correcting their ways that we may be able to implement without young to start a war.

Like an Air Zound! :D :D
thomashouseman

Postby Dan » Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Look, I've had the odd rant too - honestly, though, a cyclist not moving out of the way of a runner on a shared path in Brisbane, or anywhere for that matter, is unfortunately just part of shared pathway life - somehow painted lines equal entitlement, and trump common sense. As stated in an earlier post, those kind of people are unlikely to be reading a forum such as this, and are unlikely to be receptive of suggestions on how they could better negotiate a shared pathway situation like chillytool1995 described. Further, the moron cyclist's choice of attire is largely irrelevant to the situation, but might hint at the OP's general attitude towards cyclists... Huge assumption, of course, but hey, assumption and ranting is what the internet is all about - right?

In any case, one can choose to rant about pretty normal (whether you like it or not) occurrences, or choose to take proactive measures to avoid such a situation in the first place. Doesn't make the moron cyclist any less of a moron, but may perhaps result in a happier runner, who may then find themself (surprisingly) less rantypants than they'd otherwise have been.
Dan

Postby chill1995 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Dan wrote:Look, I've had the odd rant too - honestly, though, a cyclist not moving out of the way of a runner on a shared path in Brisbane, or anywhere for that matter, is unfortunately just part of shared pathway life - somehow painted lines equal entitlement, and trump common sense. As stated in an earlier post, those kind of people are unlikely to be reading a forum such as this, and are unlikely to be receptive of suggestions on how they could better negotiate a shared pathway situation like chillytool1995 described. Further, the moron cyclist's choice of attire is largely irrelevant to the situation, but might hint at the OP's general attitude towards cyclists... Huge assumption, of course, but hey, assumption and ranting is what the internet is all about - right?

In any case, one can choose to rant about pretty normal (whether you like it or not) occurrences, or choose to take proactive measures to avoid such a situation in the first place. Doesn't make the moron cyclist any less of a moron, but may perhaps result in a happier runner, who may then find themself (surprisingly) less rantypants than they'd otherwise have been.

Why not write a ridiculous reply to every rant posted in this thread? I'm not the first and I won't be the last to complain about shared paths, if the same thing happend to you it's fairly safe to assume you would be annoyed. I can't help but feel that you've taken offence to my mention of lycra, don't get so defensive buddy.

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Dan wrote:but might hint at the OP's general attitude towards cyclists...

Nope, I'm also a cyclist and commute 5 days a week, If he was wearing normal clothes I would've said that too. Give up.
chill1995

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 24, 2013 3:30 pm

I was enjoying a bit of a trawl with the post work coffee and now I gotta go all chameleon :(

Settle down now and start playing the ball or I'm gonna have go turn red. Nobody likes me when I'm red, everybody else doesn't.

I will politely ask that some of the more recent posters press the edit button on their more recent posts in this thread and reconsider their words before I'm forced to do it for them. This WILL make my mood worse which will not help their case in pleading with admin to have their suspensions lifted. I'm not pointing fingers or naming names at this stage because you are all (mostly) adult enough to recognise it yourselves.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Dan » Fri May 24, 2013 3:44 pm

chill1995 wrote: ... if the same thing happend to you it's fairly safe to assume you would be annoyed...

Perhaps. Dwell on it? Not likely. Look, you chose to have a moan about something that's pretty much a everyday occurrence. I know it's a thread of rants - i just place it right at the bottom end of the moron scale, and I guess we'll continue to disagree about that.

For what its worth - new poster, posting as a runner complaining about cyclists? Read like a troll to me.

How about we just have a [groupcuddle] instead.

Edited. Sorry Shaun.
Dan

Postby herzog » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

herzog

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 pm

herzog wrote:Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

But he is wearing a safety jacket
find_bruce

Postby human909 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Meh. I've held onto vehicles before. No big deal.

What makes it so dumb?
human909

Postby michael_w » Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm

human909 wrote:

What makes it so dumb?

Alternatively, what makes it such a clever move? Especially when we consider it's against the road rules
michael_w

Postby TigerFilly » Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Haven't you seen Back to the Future?
TigerFilly

Postby BianchiCam » Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm

What makes that dumb?

Is common sense on holiday here or what?

Jeebus!
Yep, I'm a newbie to the forum but some of the nitpicking is giving me the irrits.
I'm off for a teaspoon of cement before its recommended to me by one of he regulars.
BianchiCam

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Absolute lunacy.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby herzog » Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm

human909 wrote:

Good luck with that Jack.
herzog

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 pm

I prefer slipstreaming.
Lukeyboy

Postby high_tea » Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 pm

herzog wrote:
human909 wrote:

Good luck with that Jack.

Funny story, I knew this guy who was a bike courier. He was holding onto a vehicle one day, only his bike got entangled in the truck or whatever it was and he crashed. Along comes a copper and fines him for not wearing a helmet.
high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 pm

michael_w wrote:
human909 wrote:

What makes it so dumb?

Alternatively, what makes it such a clever move? Especially when we consider it's against the road rules

Which one? Not disagreeing, just CBA looking it up.
high_tea

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 pm

In Queensland I'd imagine it would fall under the 2m rule. Not to mention bicycles can not be towed by cars and riders can not hold onto a car.

And a simple google search reveals:

254 Bicycles being towed etc.
(1) A person must not ride on a bicycle that is being towed by another vehicle.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) The rider of a bicycle must not hold onto another vehicle while the vehicle is moving.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

255 Riding too close to the rear of a motor vehicle
The rider of a bicycle must not ride within 2m of the rear of a moving motor vehicle continuously for more than 200m.
Lukeyboy

Postby human909 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 pm

BianchiCam wrote:What makes that dumb?

Is common sense on holiday here or what?

Jeebus!
Yep, I'm a newbie to the forum but some of the nitpicking is giving me the irrits.
I'm off for a teaspoon of cement before its recommended to me by one of he regulars.

+1 Agreed. Sometimes people seem to be too busy trying to nitpick or are missing their saddle and sitting straight on the pole. :o

I would not advocate it as recommended road practice but to claim that it is dumb, idiotic, lunacy or unsafe is clearly not having things in perspective. I could equally claim that riding 0.3m off the real wheel of a cyclist in front with another couple boxing you in side and back is lunacy and unsafe.

People in glass houses should being throwing stones. :wink:
human909

Postby chuckchunder » Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 am

okay, this bloke wasn't a ped, but the incident happened on a shared path, so......

I'm riding toward the city on the Kwinana Fwy shared path (Perth). A road bike is right up my date as I've slowed as I approach the Canning Bridge. I ring my bell like a good boy before I emerge from under the bridge, there are two fishermen on the adjacent river bank on the turn. One has his rod up, looking like he may be about to cast with hook and sinker dangling, but is faffing about with I can't see what. I slow a little more, conscious of the following rider and as I pass he casts, and something hits my helmet. I shout "Gosh mate" or something a little shorter and more in the brown line than gosh. Fisherman shouts "how about you look where you're going", though he may have added a word I can't quote here. I really didn't appreciate the possibility of a hook in my eye.

mind you, added five k's an hour to my speed......

I meet my brother and turn around, as we ride past the fisherman is sitting on the side of the path, his line tangled beyond redemption..... instant karma's gonna get you
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
chuckchunder

Postby Percrime » Sat May 25, 2013 12:25 pm

I would have stopped and shoved him in. Blaming you for his stupidity puts him in the upper level of ar$es.
Percrime

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Ummm, the bloke who is trucksitting a bus at high speed on a wet road only a couple of metres from a bloke who is skitching the self same bus at high speed on a wet road...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby herzog » Sat May 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Come again?
herzog

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 pm

The bloke with the camera.
Alright, I like a draft (trucksitting) as much as anybody but having some clown getting a tow really close like that is a good reason for a smart rider to sit up for a few seconds and give themself some room if things go pear shaped for the skitcher. The wet road just adds to the Darwinity of the whole situation.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion