The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby BianchiCam » Sat May 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:The wet road just adds to the Darwinity of the whole situation.

Darwinity.

My new word, many thanks...
BianchiCam

by BNA » Sun May 26, 2013 1:42 am

BNA

Postby DavidS » Sun May 26, 2013 1:42 am

herzog wrote:Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

I feel for the bus driver. If anything goes wrong they will never get it out of their head.

A bit like riding a bike along reserve tram tracks, total lunacy and very nerve racking for the tram driver. When I drove trams we used to dump sand on them.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:00 pm

herzog wrote:Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

Watching that fool made me angry.

I lost it with a bus driver who buzzed my R handlebar the other day.
Called him a stupid old c and give me a bit of room and move over next time.
At the top of my lungs through the drivers window with a well patronised bus :oops:

Not proud of the way I delivered the message :( ,bit of adrenaline at the time, but the message was warranted IMO.
To see an idiot like that hanging on and with head on traffic buzzing past him detracts from us asking for space from other road users.
He needs a therapeutic slapping :x
warthog1

Postby TigerFilly » Sun May 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Out for a nice Sunday afternoon ride with my son. We were riding along a quiet back street where we had right of way over the side streets (they had dotted white lines), and a middle aged man on a bike rode across in front of us, from the wrong side of the road without giving way. We were already in the intersection when he pulled out! Even my 10 year old said, "gee has he ever heard of give way".
TigerFilly

Postby human909 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:Watching that fool made me angry.

I find it humorous out of all the injustices that occur to cyclists you get angry over a perceived risky behaviour of one cycling on the other side of the globe.

I personally don't see that as any more risky that bunch riding which has proven itself to be a much more risky form of riding. But i don't get judgemental over all of it.
human909

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:09 pm

human909 wrote:.

I personally don't see that as any more risky that bunch riding which has proven itself to be a much more risky form of riding. But i don't get judgemental over all of it.

If that is your belief after watching that video you have either done no bunch riding or your grasp of reality is tenuous at best.
Hanging onto the back corner of a bus inches from oncoming traffic where the speed differential is ~ 100 kmh and the objects travelling the other way have ~15 times the mass. A small deviation from the line of the drivers you are placing your trust in will have fatal consequences.
I have done thousands of k's in bunches without injury. The odds of that being the case after thousands of k's riding like the display in that video are minuscule.
warthog1

Postby human909 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:24 pm

warthog1 wrote:Hanging onto the back corner of a bus inches from oncoming traffic ....

You must be watching a different video to me. The vast majority of cases was clearly greater that 1m which is the minimum AGF is campaigning for. The closest were still not that close and the cyclist got to see them coming...

I'm not advocating that behaviour. I'm just sick of people being so righteous on this forum.
human909

Postby Kraeg » Sun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm

human909 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Watching that fool made me angry.

I find it humorous out of all the injustices that occur to cyclists you get angry over a perceived risky behaviour of one cycling on the other side of the globe.

Crikey... where does one begin with such a failure of a post?
Kraeg

Postby Summernight » Mon May 27, 2013 11:59 am

chuckchunder wrote:okay, this bloke wasn't a ped, but the incident happened on a shared path, so......

I'm riding toward the city on the Kwinana Fwy shared path (Perth). A road bike is right up my date as I've slowed as I approach the Canning Bridge. I ring my bell like a good boy before I emerge from under the bridge, there are two fishermen on the adjacent river bank on the turn. One has his rod up, looking like he may be about to cast with hook and sinker dangling, but is faffing about with I can't see what. I slow a little more, conscious of the following rider and as I pass he casts, and something hits my helmet. I shout "Gosh mate" or something a little shorter and more in the brown line than gosh. Fisherman shouts "how about you look where you're going", though he may have added a word I can't quote here. I really didn't appreciate the possibility of a hook in my eye.

mind you, added five k's an hour to my speed......

I meet my brother and turn around, as we ride past the fisherman is sitting on the side of the path, his line tangled beyond redemption..... instant karma's gonna get you

Casting a line near a shared path... :shock: Not very socially aware. :roll:
Glad his line got tangled as karma. Hope he didn't have a spare.
Summernight

Postby thomashouseman » Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Summernight wrote:

LOL, I've seen people flying kites across a shared path with the strings head/neck height to cyclists.
thomashouseman

Postby bychosis » Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Not sure about dumb... This is probably the most appropriate thread.

Commuting this morning, I was following a carbon roadie at a reasonable pace, but didn't have a speedo. On the share path and had passed a few pedestrians. The local bell nazi coming the other way shouts out "bell" and rings his a couple of times. I'm not sure of the purpose of his call. We were both riding on the left after overtaking some peds with some oncoming peds and the bell nazi also on the correct side. Not sure if the other rider had a bell, I didn't - but will have tomorrow, 1st ride on this bike and didn't realise no bell. We hadn't come close enough to anyone that I would have rung anyway.

I have passed this guy before without ringing and he rings his bell several times at me, never a close shave or dangerous either, but its a new one for him warning oncoming traffic! Wonder how many others he's put off cycling.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby jasonc » Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 pm

maybe he's a few teeth short of a crank?!
jasonc

Postby Hergest » Mon May 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Perhaps he shouted out Bell End! but the wind carried the last part away. Anger management problems maybe?
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 27, 2013 3:38 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
Summernight wrote:

LOL, I've seen people flying kites across a shared path with the strings head/neck height to cyclists.

I'd sarcastically suggest dismounting from the bike and walk past, wishing them a nice day and maybe whistling some irritating tune.

I've actually seen the kite flying as well on a local shared path. When they saw me coming they moved to the other side of the path, most fortunately. But it would have only taken a wind change to get dive-bombed by an errant kite.
g-boaf

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 27, 2013 4:36 pm

bychosis wrote:Not sure about dumb... This is probably the most appropriate thread.

Commuting this morning, I was following a carbon roadie at a reasonable pace, but didn't have a speedo. On the share path and had passed a few pedestrians. The local bell nazi coming the other way shouts out "bell" and rings his a couple of times. I'm not sure of the purpose of his call. We were both riding on the left after overtaking some peds with some oncoming peds and the bell nazi also on the correct side. Not sure if the other rider had a bell, I didn't - but will have tomorrow, 1st ride on this bike and didn't realise no bell. We hadn't come close enough to anyone that I would have rung anyway.

I have passed this guy before without ringing and he rings his bell several times at me, never a close shave or dangerous either, but its a new one for him warning oncoming traffic! Wonder how many others he's put off cycling.

Must have been his birthday & the bell was a present - he was just riding around proudly showing it off :D
find_bruce

Postby eldavo » Tue May 28, 2013 1:58 am

I seem to be on a roll with footage.

eldavo

Postby beauyboy » Tue May 28, 2013 4:02 pm

I always think when I see and hear behaviour like that, all I think is it wouldn't be SH*T if you didn't treat it like that.
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby eldavo » Tue May 28, 2013 4:35 pm

You can't take bikes on the buses here (even rail replacement buses for scheduled train outages ;)
I first thought a stolen ride just being dumped recklessly if he was catching the bus, I didn't feel the more neutral "just waiting there for a lift with a flat tyre" from the dropkick attitude. I am guessing the next bunch of broken glass on a path that gives me a flat is probably from him =P
eldavo

Postby InTheWoods » Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Ok its Waterworks Road (a main road), busy dual lane each way type, at 6:20pm so still carrying a fair bit of traffic.

Its dark and the roads are very wet.

Cyclist in dark clothing, no reflectors I could see, and no lights (front or rear)... He was moving pretty well, but the sudden stop when somebody hooks or rear ends him is going to hurt. Only saw him at the last moment but I'm fairly sure he was in lycra and had a nice bike, so it wasn't just some numpty on a BSO.
InTheWoods

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

InTheWoods wrote:...so it wasn't just some numpty on a BSO.

Probably taking The Rules to their logical conclusion.

I see it at the northern end of the Harbour Bridge all the time. These guys with really smick road bikes, but they don't want to pollute the nice clean lines of their aero road bike with anything so garish as an effective light.

As a concession to the road rules they might have one of those single LED lights the size of a takeaway sushi soy sauce fish, powered by a nearly-flat watch battery and held on by my teenage daughter's hair band, that you can only see when you're sucking their wheel.

Really silly. :roll:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 28, 2013 10:47 pm

As opposed to someone on a really nice bike, wearing Lycra and said bike is covered in mud and grime, but it has lights front and back... Bright ones too. That someone happens to be me.. Anyhow, away from stereotypes.

The dumb pedestrian - if you could call it that - was a RABBIT absolutely tearing along the footpath alongside the road I was on. I was going about 39km/h and that damn thing was starting to get away from me!! But then it decided to go across the road in front of me... Cue loud cursing and heavy braking.

Amazing how fast those little things are.
g-boaf

Postby eldavo » Wed May 29, 2013 4:24 am

Clip stack, I felt sorry for this bloke, he didn't watch the traffic he was running, saw them as they moved off slowly and he stopped in middle of left lane. He got up, dusted off OK and the blue Vitara soft top gave him space/time and didn't try to run him down.

eldavo

Postby thomashouseman » Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 am

g-boaf wrote:The dumb pedestrian - if you could call it that - was a RABBIT absolutely tearing along the footpath alongside the road I was on. I was going about 39km/h and that damn thing was starting to get away from me!! But then it decided to go across the road in front of me... Cue loud cursing and heavy braking.

Amazing how fast those little things are.

Yes, I've raced a few in SOP, although maybe it was a hare... do we have them in Australia? It was mighty big for a rabbit... fast too but not very clever... no idea which way they're going to dodge.. under your wheel or AWAY from the bike.... approx 50/50 chance I'd say so far.
thomashouseman

Postby Slow6 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 am

definite demerit karma points for posting some poor blighters clip stack on the internet!! :lol:
Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:38 am

thomashouseman wrote:do we have them in Australia?

we do.. and aren't they awesome animals when they're going full tilt.
Slow6

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion