The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:30 pm

duncanm wrote:I went over that joint this morning.. and as I was caught at the lights was going relatively slowly.

Looked down and had a peek at it -- there is almost no rubber/fill between the steel edges -- so it is basically two very slippery rails with a 2" gap between them.

This is just laaazy and incompetent city council workers and poor planning also. It should at least be filled with butyl mastic sealer and covered with some green tyre grip. I would be trying to put in a claim for the bike and my day off and it could of been a whole lot worse, Faith was on the good side that day :D
Dragster1

by BNA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:48 pm

BNA

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Boognoss wrote:I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

Ouch! That was odd, it didn't even look like there was much lateral force on the bike. I'm surprised how quickly it threw you. Where you standing up off the saddle?
human909

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:18 pm

human909 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

Ouch! That was odd, it didn't even look like there was much lateral force on the bike. I'm surprised how quickly it threw you. Where you standing up off the saddle?

No, was in the saddle and accelerating from traffic lights (on a CX frame that isn't super fast no less). Doing 39-40kph on slight decline according to the Garmin. While I have a sore shoulder from the most of the impact as I type, I didn't have time to react or tense up and cause more potential injury. I was down and the brain kicked in to "get the F up because you'll get run over mode" before I really worked out what was going on.
2011 Avanti Quantum, 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby herzog » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 pm

herzog

Postby Timeonabike » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow.
What a douche.
Timeonabike

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Both the car driver and bike rider need a bit of time of the road for maybe a year...

Both as stupid as each other. The car for being impatient and the bike rider for being so crazy as that.
g-boaf

Postby thomashouseman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Wouldn't have killed him. Maybe the bike though...
thomashouseman

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:19 am

Yeah the bike guy was stupid and almost wrecked himself but the car was obviously suffering from 'gotta get ahead of the cyclist no matter what' syndrome...
AndrewBurns

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 pm

I seemed to run into the dumb cyclists today. Mini peloton of three going the other way, last guy decides to pull out and start to overtake while I'm coming the opposite direction. The guys at the front didn't even warn him either.

And number two was a guy ahead of me, wobbling all over the M7 from side to side. :( I was about to pass him but the guy just about nearly collected me when he veered right very suddenly. After that I stayed we'll back and waited for a much wider section. Passed him and put the hammer down - didn't want him anyway near me (especially not on my wheel).
g-boaf

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:08 am

A few lately.

Yesterday a guy on a bike riding on the footpath of waterworks road left the footpath and crossed waterworks road - without any warning or even looking. My wife was driving and had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. She even used the horn and she never does that...

Last night a guy riding in the dark with dark clothes and no lights. Suggested he should get some lights before he gets hit. Just got sworn at.

And on sunday on the bikeway near the nundah crit circuit, a couple riding 50 meters in front of me slowed for some zombie pedestrians who just stepped out onto the path without looking. They were down to about 5-10kmh when one of the pedestrians took a sudden swerve across the path (without looking again), forcing the female cyclist to stop, and she then clipstacked very heavily. The last thing I heard was each side blaming the other, which is probably about right. The riders should have announced their presence, and the pedestrians should look where they are going - if either of those had happened, it would have been fine.

Edit: And me. I jumped a red light just as it was turning green. But it didn't :oops: That's it for me, no more jumping them. I was doing it at the time because it was a hill and I had a bus on my rear, but no more.
InTheWoods

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:50 am

g-boaf wrote:Both the car driver and bike rider need a bit of time of the road for maybe a year...

Both as stupid as each other. The car for being impatient and the bike rider for being so crazy as that.

+1, both absolute idiots that need a good slap.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:28 am

InTheWoods wrote:Edit: And me. I jumped a red light just as it was turning green. But it didn't :oops: That's it for me, no more jumping them. I was doing it at the time because it was a hill and I had a bus on my rear, but no more.

They changed the light timings at a couple of intersections on my commute. It was funny seeing people think that one light would turn after a second or two when actually they'd switched it to change 5-6 seconds after the other light had gone red.

And at another intersection I have to slowly count to 14 before the light changes. I used to only count to 5 before the change (they now have the tram going first).

The dumb cyclist was the lady last night who jumped the red (at the 5-6 second light I was talking about) when there were lots of peds also ignoring their 'don't go' light. And a couple of kms down the road she turned into a pedestrian and crossed on the green man but failed to factor in that her sudden change of direction from going straight and stopping at the red light to going right over the ped crossing without slowing down may not be expected by the car turning right into the street she'd just come from. It wasn't even any safer than just staying on the road and turning right when the light changed - it was solely done to cut 0.1 of a second off her ride.
Summernight

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:05 pm

idiot dog walkers! i am polite to them though :)
jules21

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:18 pm

I,m not. My usual comment is, "If we find them alone we just take them home and eat them" But sometimes I am really rude
Percrime

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 pm

First clip is an old guy standing in the middle of and blocking the bikelane. Second clip is of a woman crossing the road in the exact same area. The only issue I have with the second clip are peds that continue to cross into your lane as you're approaching while looking directly at you. Is it really that difficult to use one of the two ped crossings in that area.

Lukeyboy

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Percrime wrote:I,m not. My usual comment is, "If we find them alone we just take them home and eat them" But sometimes I am really rude

do you cook them before eating them? ;)

they don't care. they feel no responsibility towards others' safety. the council doesn't help either - i've raised this with them and they don't want to know.
jules21

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Of course. Sheesh. What do you think.. we are uncivilised?

The owners often seem upset when you grab dog and run away with it tho. Interesting.

I have long reached the conclusion that much of what is wrong with the world is epitomised by the parent unable to train a dog adequately
Percrime

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:09 pm

jules21 wrote:idiot dog walkers! i am polite to them though :)

But they are vulnerable path users, you have to give way to them (in a whining voice). ;)

Yeah - I agree with you, lost count of the number of times I've seen dog walkers breaking the rules - even when a sign is right nearby telling them to keep their dogs restrained.
g-boaf

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:First clip is an old guy standing in the middle of and blocking the bikelane. Second clip is of a woman crossing the road in the exact same area. The only issue I have with the second clip are peds that continue to cross into your lane as you're approaching while looking directly at you. Is it really that difficult to use one of the two ped crossings in that area.

I'm confused. I'm having difficulty not arriving at a different POV. Am I missing something here?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 pm

As I said my main concern was the first guy standing in the bike lane with a walker impeeding users using the bike lane. There was no reason for him to be standing there blocking the lane. The bus stop beside him is raised so there would be issues for the bus if a ramp was required for him to use or if it was a high step bus. Second clip is another one of those annoying peds that continue to walk into your lane as your passing by which I have no major problem with.
Lukeyboy

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 am

Lukeyboy wrote:As I said my main concern was the first guy standing in the bike lane with a walker impeeding users using the bike lane. There was no reason for him to be standing there blocking the lane. The bus stop beside him is raised so there would be issues for the bus if a ramp was required for him to use or if it was a high step bus. Second clip is another one of those annoying peds that continue to walk into your lane as your passing by which I have no major problem with.

Maybe. But your video looks to me that you then headed off road onto the ped path and without checking your speed. Then continued at an innappropriate speed past doors and shops then, still at speed, across a blind pedestrian corner/path that could have had any number of legit or illegit users at risk, and then across the road before heading back onto the road where you belonged.

Annoying is one thing, but dangerous is worse. I'm hoping that I am missing something in my assessment.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby cp123 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Yesterday afternoon, Canberra city, Marcus Clark Street, Cnr of Edinburgh Ave lights.

To the tall chap with the small beard and one pannier on his bike who was at the lights on Marcus Clark street while facing northwards, why oh why did you just scoot through the glaringly obvious red light because you (I assume) were in a hurry and there was a break in oncoming (right turning) traffic. I was the person behind you who waited another few minutes until our own light went green. You wouldn't have heard it, but the driver of the white car we were both next to wound down his window, let out all the typical "bloody cyclists... running red lights... bloody typical..." and other sarcastic laughter type comments that i had to endure.

Irony - you were wearing an Amy Gillett Grand Fondo jersey. Amy Gillett Foundation - safety... share the road, working to eliminate fatalities and injuries on the road, cycle safe messages etc...

Your actions lead to a harder time for all of us "good" cyclists.... :roll:
cp123

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:09 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:As I said my main concern was the first guy standing in the bike lane with a walker impeeding users using the bike lane. There was no reason for him to be standing there blocking the lane. The bus stop beside him is raised so there would be issues for the bus if a ramp was required for him to use or if it was a high step bus. Second clip is another one of those annoying peds that continue to walk into your lane as your passing by which I have no major problem with.

Maybe. But your video looks to me that you then headed off road onto the ped path and without checking your speed. Then continued at an innappropriate speed past doors and shops then, still at speed, across a blind pedestrian corner/path that could have had any number of legit or illegit users at risk, and then across the road before heading back onto the road where you belonged.

Annoying is one thing, but dangerous is worse. I'm hoping that I am missing something in my assessment.

:lol: :lol: You basically said the opposite of everything I did.
Lukeyboy

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

The risks Colin identifies remain around a corner shop like that, even without doors on the street side it might be a kid on a bike entitled to use the path or teen still outgrowing their entitlement going quicker.
For the old guy with walking aid head on in cycle lane, from his age before paths that was how you walked head on into traffic, and is still debated by people about the practice on shared paths and failing to keep left, so understandable... maybe safer for him but still dangerous more than annoying to the cyclist who has to look to enter a lane in solid traffic. If coming to a stop, someone is going to have to get around someone else and that's not the place to do it. Such is life and we have to rise above shoulds and should nots and take the higher road.

We can see from Lukeyboy's shadow on the pavement he did check the road option to take the lane possibly, then checked the path option, appears to have coasted through and checked again before each crossing before rejoining. He mashes the pedals to suggest he was coasting and cautious in the detour around old guy and then accelerating once in the bike lane again. With the lack of being present I'd give him benefit of the doubt.

It's hard with video to make great environmental assumptions because of the field of view. When using two cameras with narrow and wide angle, the narrow angle gave the pants filling urgency of cars/pedestrians/cyclists doing sudden cut off and kill you maneuvers. The wide view mad everything look innocent like a Sunday stroll and emergency braking that was sudden looked like a lazy gentle rear coaster brake slow down, not the heaving on front disc brake that it actually was.

I guess that's a risk of posting your footage of what was obvious to you but not obvious to others. At least we can comfort each other sharing the same knowing we've all done something dumb in life... we just don't tend to share videos of ourselves doing them and its up to others to do that for us :lol: :lol:
eldavo

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:32 pm

eldavo wrote:It's hard with video to make great environmental assumptions because of the field of view. When using two cameras with narrow and wide angle, the narrow angle gave the pants filling urgency of cars/pedestrians/cyclists doing sudden cut off and kill you maneuvers. The wide view mad everything look innocent like a Sunday stroll and emergency braking that was sudden looked like a lazy gentle rear coaster brake slow down, not the heaving on front disc brake that it actually was.

+1 The wide angle ones make close passes look more distant, and makes 20kmh look like you are in a ITT defending the yellow jersey.

Somewhere around the normal lens on the jumbo type cameras provides about the most "normal" viewpoint IMO - I've see a couple of vids with narrower angle and they looked weird - like riding in slow motion while tailgating the car in front :) The gopro wide angles capture everything but distances and speeds are quite distorted.
InTheWoods

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion