The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby zero » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:Looks like Russia - and if so it is probably a setup.

Like those car chases in the Russian traffic are promo videos to get their drivers stunt driving jobs in movies...

Anyone going to send this video through to Duncan Gay MP and NRMA? :twisted: I want to see the original video in original context, rather than what looks like a re-post on YouTube to frame it in a different context.

There is no reason for it to be a setup, and during peak hour you could do the same thing in any tunnel in the major capital cities here if you were stupid enough. I suspect he grabs on, because he both burned all his matches and reached the inevitable rise near the end of the tunnel.
zero

by BNA » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 am

BNA

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 am

Saw a guy this morning at about 6am riding against the traffic on a MTB in on-road cycle lane on dual carrigeway in thick fog dressed in dark clothing with no lights or helmet. Must have a deathwish. There is a shared path on the other side of the road.
Ross

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:34 pm

He probably read this topic and decided the wrong side of the road was safer than the shared path. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am

Back to what seems to be a hobby horse of mine – cyclists not stopping at red lights. Witnessed yet again, a classic example this morning. I quite often see a couple riding together as I pass through Eastwood in Sydney. This morning as I was waiting at the red light to cross Blaxland Rd (four lanes and busy), they rode straight past me and across the intersection. He was able to cut in front of a car, but the lady hesitated, forcing the car to brake sharply and stop to avoid hitting her. The car did very well, as his sightline was blocked by cars stopped waiting to turn right. Now what do you think the driver of that car, as well as all the drivers who witnessed their absolute idiocy, think about cyclists? No wonder they call for bikes to get off the road.

I caught up to them waiting at another set of lights (at least they stopped this time), and to be honest, gave them a bit of a bollocking. This is not my style, as normally when I see stupid behaviour like this, I’ll just shake my head and move on. But when the behaviour reinforces attitudes that have a direct effect on my safety, I’m going to speak up! The lady was obviously a bit rattled by the experience – and justifiably so, had it been a less attentive driver, she would have been in serious trouble. He seemed unrepentant, saying that crossing on the red is just like jay walking, and everyone does that. For goodness sake!
rdp_au

Postby MisuVir » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm

rdp_au wrote:He seemed unrepentant, saying that crossing on the red is just like jay walking, and everyone does that. For goodness sake!

There's the problem - pedestrian attitude. I don't cross against the red man and I don't run red lights. Problem is that these people see such "jayriding" as something that is hardly enforced, much like jaywalking... and that annoys drivers even more.
MisuVir

Postby burger » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:29 pm

rdp_au wrote:... This morning as I was waiting at the red light to cross Blaxland Rd (four lanes and busy), they rode straight past me and across the intersection. He was able to cut in front of a car, but the lady hesitated, forcing the car to brake sharply and stop to avoid hitting her. The car did very well ...
... gave them a bit of a bollocking ...
... He seemed unrepentant, saying that crossing on the red is just like jay walking, and everyone does that...

Good on you rdp!
Wonder if he would have been as unrepentant if his 'lady friend' had been cleaned up ??? :shock:
stu.
The world is round, so what seems like the end may actually be the beginning.
burger

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:36 pm

rdp_au wrote:Back to what seems to be a hobby horse of mine – cyclists not stopping at red lights. Witnessed yet again, a classic example this morning. I quite often see a couple riding together as I pass through Eastwood in Sydney. This morning as I was waiting at the red light to cross Blaxland Rd (four lanes and busy), they rode straight past me and across the intersection. He was able to cut in front of a car, but the lady hesitated, forcing the car to brake sharply and stop to avoid hitting her. The car did very well, as his sightline was blocked by cars stopped waiting to turn right. Now what do you think the driver of that car, as well as all the drivers who witnessed their absolute idiocy, think about cyclists? No wonder they call for bikes to get off the road.

I caught up to them waiting at another set of lights (at least they stopped this time), and to be honest, gave them a bit of a bollocking. This is not my style, as normally when I see stupid behaviour like this, I’ll just shake my head and move on. But when the behaviour reinforces attitudes that have a direct effect on my safety, I’m going to speak up! The lady was obviously a bit rattled by the experience – and justifiably so, had it been a less attentive driver, she would have been in serious trouble. He seemed unrepentant, saying that crossing on the red is just like jay walking, and everyone does that. For goodness sake!

kudos for providing feedback to the cyclists who broke the law. even if it is not your usual modus operandi, i think it is something we should all do notwithstanding a natural reluctance to engage in dispute. (sorry i'm at work, hence the bureaucratese :roll: )

yes, we do need to police our own or the current situation of almost open war between motorists and cyclists is likely to get worse. more injuries and deaths...............its all pretty horrible, riding a bike is supposed to be fun but is becoming less so. :cry:
feral grasshopper

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm

MisuVir wrote:
rdp_au wrote:He seemed unrepentant, saying that crossing on the red is just like jay walking, and everyone does that. For goodness sake!

There's the problem - pedestrian attitude. I don't cross against the red man and I don't run red lights. Problem is that these people see such "jayriding" as something that is hardly enforced, much like jaywalking... and that annoys drivers even more.

I had the opposite last night. I stopped at a pedestrian crossing to let a mum carrying with two kids cross. As I waited, she passed in front of me and said "you could have kept going. There was no need to stop". See, you can't win!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:21 pm

And many moons ago I 'sped' through a ped crossing that I probably should have stopped for a pedestrian on. Then got pulled over about 6-7km later, by a paddy wagon and got a please explain from the boys in blue. Winning as a cyclist doesn't often happen.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:06 pm

rdp_au wrote:Back to what seems to be a hobby horse of mine – cyclists not stopping at red lights.

I agree this is bad. There is an intersection on my ride home where a shared path crosses a busy road at an intersection. Recent changes to the lights means that, for cyclists, the wait on red is even longer than before. The road has also recently changed from one way to two way. Because of the long wait, cyclists are more likely than ever to cross on the red, only visiblity of cars turning into them isn't that great. I have seen quite a few near hits where vehicles have narrowly missed cyclists running the red. I have also seen cars running the red when turning across the path of cyclists crossing on the green, also resulting in a number of near hits. It doesn't help that all of this is at dusk when visibility is reduced anyway. There is no excuse for peds, cyclists or vehicles to run the red as doing so puts other road users at risks.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:26 pm

rdp_au wrote:Back to what seems to be a hobby horse of mine – cyclists not stopping at red lights. Witnessed yet again, a classic example this morning. I quite often see a couple riding together as I pass through Eastwood in Sydney. This morning as I was waiting at the red light to cross Blaxland Rd (four lanes and busy), they rode straight past me and across the intersection. He was able to cut in front of a car, but the lady hesitated, forcing the car to brake sharply and stop to avoid hitting her. The car did very well, as his sightline was blocked by cars stopped waiting to turn right. Now what do you think the driver of that car, as well as all the drivers who witnessed their absolute idiocy, think about cyclists? No wonder they call for bikes to get off the road.

Well done for saying something to the red light runner. I usually reprimand them too and the response if often abuse but it doesn't worry me in the slightest and I will continue to call their stupid behaviour. There's a traffic light crossing on Oxford St Paddington where cyclists riding through the red light have struck a blind pedestrian on three occasions. I estimate that at least 50% of cyclists don't stop on a red light at that location.
biker jk

Postby TraceyG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Riding on a shared path with my husband and our adult son this morning when we saw a group of adults and children pedestrians ahead. After calling to warn us, our son rang his bell to warn the peds who was standing all over the path to enjoy the view. Most of them stepped aside, one even called out "Bikes" to alert the rest of his family. 'Grandma' still didn't hear or move so we slowed right down to cop a barrage of abuse from one of the peds!

Really, what are we supposed to do?
TraceyG

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:23 pm

TraceyG wrote:Riding on a shared path with my husband and our adult son this morning when we saw a group of adults and children pedestrians ahead. After calling to warn us, our son rang his bell to warn the peds who was standing all over the path to enjoy the view. Most of them stepped aside, one even called out "Bikes" to alert the rest of his family. 'Grandma' still didn't hear or move so we slowed right down to cop a barrage of abuse from one of the peds!

Really, what are we supposed to do?

I don't know. But I doubt you'll find much love here given all the discussions on pedestrians and right of way, etc.

You did all you could short of stopping and walking past them.
g-boaf

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:36 pm

You have two approaches with all of this... you are either part of the community, and shouldn't accept abuse from your neighbours, or you are not and shouldn't give a rat's toucas about the incident. You need some stock material for this stuff such as "don't buy any gum or you'll choke" or "you'll hear from my lawyer next time" etc. Lots of good options that say "guess what, I won't be bullied".

Unclipping and putting the foot down is an ENORMOUS challenge to their ego if they have brought this on themselves. Your call of course. It's identical to opening the car door in a road rage incident.

You'll get random numbskulls who fortunately will die from anxiety related disorders soon, but you have to assert a presence. Dinging your bell does NOT do it 100% of the time.
Xplora

Postby K2 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 am

TraceyG wrote:......Really, what are we supposed to do?

Ride on. Enjoy your day. Try not to let it get to you.

That's more difficult than it should be sometimes but just like the oft suggested imagine people naked to help you get over a fear of public speaking, perhaps consider that these type of people really should be in care but there just aren't enough facilities for all of them. The wellington boot's on the other ear now, isn't it?

Doesn't matter if you do everything you can to accommodate other folk [and it sounds like you did], sometimes they will have something they really need to get off their chest and you're just the unlucky recipient. Is it ideal? Obviously not. You could get involved in all the fun of the fair if you're feeling up to it, but in my better moments I try to rise above it and just leave them to sort out their own problems. [Of course I'm not always at my best, and then there are those times when you just have to get all World Police on someone's bottom. :x ]

To paraphrase - Sticks and cars may break my bones but some loose screws are just about holding together more than is immediately apparent. It just rolls off the tongue, no? :)
K2

Postby nescius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:19 am

Yesterday I had a guy come up behind me at a set of lights, he sat on my wheel for a few minutes until we reached a set of lights that were red, then he passed me on the left and went straight through the red light. Now, I don't have any huge hangup about going through red lights in certain circumstances - like if it's 5am and there is not a soul to be seen and you've checked and double checked that the intersection is clear... but this was in the middle of the day, with plenty of traffic to witness his behaviour, and he was wearing Canberra Cycling Club kit, great way to represent the club there! He got caught at the next set of lights because there was traffic crossing in front of him, and I easily caught him soon after that. He did do something a bit strange as I was coming up behind him, he glanced back and saw that I was close, then just as I was about to pass he unleashed a couple of snot rockets. Strange. I didn't see him once I passed him, I either dropped him like a hot potato or he turned off. I didn't recognise him so I don't think he races regularly, I hope he was just having an off day and doesn't always behave like that.
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby eldavo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 am

Cyclist stopped in a small road underpass blocking the path on a blind bend of a crest.
My near miss nearly dropping the bike with tail sliding out under brakes, while also running wide around him into a car bollard in centre of path that he ingeniously stopped in front of to wimp out from the rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GobNrr-3g
Last edited by eldavo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldavo

Postby VRE » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:43 am

A cyclist caught up to me while I was riding home on a shared path yesterday, and said something to me, but I didn't catch what it was, because I was going downhill with the wind in my ears and a freeway right next to me. About 1km later, he finally decides to overtake... just as 4 cyclists are getting close travelling in the other direction :roll: . What a moron. 1km after that, I caught up to him, because he'd stopped to fix a puncture. Isn't karma wonderful?
VRE

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 pm

I had a pedestrian running beside me, TdF style the other night. He was trying to impress his mates with how fast he could run. :roll:

Ended up telling him to slow down - it was silly doing that at night and on a shared path.
g-boaf

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

rdp_au wrote:Back to what seems to be a hobby horse of mine – cyclists not stopping at red lights.

Is it ok if we stop, wait and then go through because the lights aren't changing and the road is clear? This is where the Roe St PSP crosses Beaufort St in Perth. For some reason the powers that be have borked the timing of the cyclist crossing (the little red bicycle takes ages to turn green). Not sure what happened but it used to be fine. Anyway, now it takes so long for the lights to change to green that people get impatient and cross when the road is clear. I am not a usual red light runner but when I am waiting after work to get home in the cold, dark and drizzle and a perfectly good road is sitting there empty... I have started crossing too. I used to wait but the number of cyclists and peds building up on the red before the green is so great that crossing on green is hazardous. I would rather run the red with a couple of other cyclists while the road is clear than run the gauntlet with a mass crossing of peds and cyclists going in both directions. Not sure if that makes me a dumb cyclist or not. :?
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 am

Dumb cyclist was me this morning.
Half asleep on Footscray Road (Victoria) near costco the bike path has a bit of a dogleg, am behind a few peeps veer into the other lane and almost had a head one with a chap on his mountie.
If That was you I'm sorry I will pay more attention next time.
Saturnstarzz

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am

I used to sook out of riding in the rain, but I've been using my recently acquired SS as my wet commuter. Noticed something weird this week... just about every ped on the path (they are fairly few in number) has been walking on the right hand side. A strange phenomenon...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am

Me last night, although more rude than dumb - I went somewhere new so was hesitant riding and changing lanes on the busy evening peak hour roads, I used the shared path and ped crossing to cross a busy intersection but I needed to turn left into the side street and get in the right lane so I could turn right about 100ms up the road.

I went in front of an older lady pedestrian with the intention of getting out of everyone's way quickly and not holding her or anyone else up. But more peds on my left on the other side of the crossing pole blocked my easy getaway path when the lights changed to green so I ended up holding up the old lady pedestrian as I was giving way to the other peds who stepped out. Said old lady then said loudly as she went around me "How rude!". I apologised to her.

I should have just crossed the busy road with the green walk signal, turned the bike 90 degrees and plonked myself in the bike box at the front of the bicycle queue on the road and done a left hand turn from there.
Summernight

Postby newie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Lady pushing a pram smack-bang in the middle of the shared path, not leaving adequate safe passage on either side of her. I approach from behind, some distance back - ding ding, no response, so ding ding, no response, quite close now, DING DING, no response. Now walking pace behind her "Excuse me!". She moves over a little bit to the left and I slowly squeeze pass. As I do, she says " I didn't know which side you were going to go". Huh? Look around perhaps? Maybe move over one way or the other so there is in fact some space somewhere for me to go by. I maintained my cool and simply smiled and said, "I always pass on the right". You wonder sometimes.
newie

Postby TheWoodenTree » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Witnessed this last night along Princes Park Melbourne. Cyclist did not even see the traffic police who was waiting at the red lights.

View My Video
TheWoodenTree

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion