The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am

Oh, no, he never overtook me. He drafted me the whole way up the hill into a headwind until I lost him somewhere on the way down.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

by BNA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:32 pm

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:32 pm

lobstermash wrote:Oh, no, he never overtook me. He drafted me the whole way up the hill into a headwind until I lost him somewhere on the way down.

That's the way! 8)
g-boaf

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:
lobstermash wrote:Oh, no, he never overtook me. He drafted me the whole way up the hill into a headwind until I lost him somewhere on the way down.

That's the way! 8)

Moral victory & CCR victory. Boy am I in for it if he reads this forum and I come across him again...

PS I wasn't looking for a race, or I'd have let him know I was passing...
lobstermash

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm

lobstermash wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

That's the way! 8)

Moral victory & CCR victory. Boy am I in for it if he reads this forum and I come across him again...

PS I wasn't looking for a race, or I'd have let him know I was passing...

You should have returned the comment: you should let me know who you are drafting.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm always wary of people in ordinary clothes on average bikes. You never know who might be an A Grader in disguise.
g-boaf

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm always wary of people in ordinary clothes on average bikes. You never know who might be an A Grader in disguise.

Haha, certainly doesn't describe me!

I wish I'd have thought up something clever, but riding to and from work is my blank mind time. I spend all day being witty ;) *in my own mind*
lobstermash

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm always wary of people in ordinary clothes on average bikes. You never know who might be an A Grader in disguise.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Runs to and from the fish and chip shop are always amusing in the arvo for me when someone dressed in formal work clothes comes flying past pedalling like their life was in danger only for me to put on my race face, adjust the ray bans and go roaring up the hill not far from the shop :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Aha! Guilty as charged! :lol:
g-boaf

Postby AP81 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Had a drunk man the other day walk out from behind a parked car into the bike lane at 8.30am. With about a car's length noticed, grabbed both front and rear, almost locked, hit him at about 5km/h (was probably travelling in the low 30's).
We exchanged words and went on our way.

I also find it amusing that there is always some joker that has a burning desire to overtake road-racers. Most of these idiots barely ride more than a few blocks, but put the hammer down to prove some kind of idiotic point.
I saw a hipster pull into the car lane to overtake a roadie...he didn't look whilst pulling out and almost got cleaned up by a bull-bar.
Steel - is - real
AP81

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 pm

That's why we roadies return serve as if we were at a local crit circuit no matter what type of bike we're on :P
Lukeyboy

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:28 pm

AP81 wrote:...I also find it amusing that there is always some joker that has a burning desire to overtake road-racers. Most of these idiots barely ride more than a few blocks, but put the hammer down to prove some kind of idiotic point...

Maybe they are just having fun, I still remember when riding a bike was all about fun. :roll:
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby Bah77 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 am

Angry pedestrian took offense to me passing too close, almost went back for a chat but i was on a strava run.
Bah77

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:30 am

That damned Strava, costing humanity common courtesy. Still, the pedestrian should not have stepped out like that into what is obviously a bike zone.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby rheicel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 am

AP81 wrote:I also find it amusing that there is always some joker that has a burning desire to overtake road-racers. Most of these idiots barely ride more than a few blocks, but put the hammer down to prove some kind of idiotic point.
I saw a hipster pull into the car lane to overtake a roadie...he didn't look whilst pulling out and almost got cleaned up by a bull-bar.

Maybe they are on a quality training?
rheicel

Postby ausmomo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 am

2 dumb things I've done in the past 2 weeks;

1) Cruising through Brisbane's Southbank, at about 15kmph (speed limit is 10, but I'm not even sure if that speed is possible). I pass a bloke going the other way, and he's walking these two really weird looking dogs. I spent WAY too much time staring at them. I look back at where I'm going, and I'm about to crash into the back of a couple who were walking. Slam the brakes on and yell a warning. No time to dodge. Stopped about 30cm short of hitting them. Yes, silly me.

2) On Saturday a friend picked up her new bike - her first "real" road bike (one of the $3k Giants)(she upgraded from a flatbar). On Sunday we all went for a gentle, family ride so she could get used to it. I was following one of the group's 10 year old son. A bit too closely. We got to a short, steep section, and the kid slowed down to almost nothing. There was on-coming traffic to the right, and I could hear/sense someone to my left. But I had to stop, stalled, and fell. To my left. On to this friend and her brand new bike. :oops: Slightly scratched her Ultegra DI2 rear derailleur. God I feel like an idiot. It's been 6 days and the shame still burns.

Both incidents 100% my fault. Both getting too close to others. Not sure how/when I got too cocky, but will do my best to be more careful.
ausmomo

Postby VRE » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:22 am

bychosis wrote:That damned Strava, costing humanity common courtesy. Still, the pedestrian should not have stepped out like that into what is obviously a bike zone.

The cyclist could have easily given more room when overtaking.
VRE

Postby K2 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm

AP81 wrote:Had a drunk man the other day walk out from behind a parked car into the bike lane at 8.30am. With about a car's length noticed, grabbed both front and rear, almost locked, hit him at about 5km/h (was probably travelling in the low 30's).
We exchanged words and went on our way.

Glad you both got away relatively unscathed. People coming out from behind or betwixt parked vehicles (especially vans or bigger) without looking, either onto the road or onto the path, isn't really something you can prepare for. It's happened to me a couple of times when pootling along a path. They bolt across the road to beat traffic, continue on between the parked vehicles, then suddenly appear on the path and decide to stop smack in front of you. Anything bigger than a standard car for the preceding vehicle or two is enough to block any sight of them crossing.

AP81 wrote:I also find it amusing that there is always some joker that has a burning desire to overtake road-racers. Most of these idiots barely ride more than a few blocks, but put the hammer down to prove some kind of idiotic point. I saw a hipster pull into the car lane to overtake a roadie...he didn't look whilst pulling out and almost got cleaned up by a bull-bar.

I find lots of things amusing (as well as beautiful, annoying, etc) whilst out and about, but find it best not to assume too much about other riders because what they're wearing or riding doesn't necessarily reflect what they might be doing.

Fer instance, on my regular jaunts down to the coast and back of a weekend I regularly pass folk kitted out in full advertising hoarding atop featherlite machines (for anyone thinking it, no one else I pass seems to react the same, indeed it is only the odd gentleman thusly attired who ever does) who seem to take offence at being passed by an older chap wearing shorts and a t-shirt aboard a 20 year old cro-mo mtb (for all I know they react similarly when passed by anyone, and it may just be any one of those things that sets them off rather than the whole "just going to the shops" package). Quite regularly some of them see it as a challenge and invariably rub shoulders as they pass by on their merry way (I'm left to assume that they've mistaken a total stranger for someone accustomed to riding in a peloton, or perhaps have a less comradely reason for doing so). Almost as regularly they'll only manage to pull a few hundred metres ahead before dropping back to match my pace, for a short while at least, before either dropping off very quickly or suddenly needing to pull to the side of the road to fiddle with something. Doesn't just happen on the road. Similar thing often happens whilst lapping at the local park.

I think folk doing this fail to realize I (for example) can sit on a fairly constant average around 30kph and on a good day can do so for the 40 to 80ks I'm intending putting in (provided headwinds aren't gluing the tyres to the road). I've often seen them about a kilometre out (depending on the stretch of road) and have watched them toddling along quite happily at 25ish for the 10 minutes or so it's taken to catch up (yes, figures are rubbery). I can even take a pretty good guess at the ones who are going to put in a short spurt as they'll always fail to respond to my "Morning" when passed. And yes, it can be quite amusing when you see someone lift and quickly thereafter discover they were already almost at their limit. Suppressing a little snort as you pass them the second time is best though, for big as you think your day's ride has been (or is going to be), you've got no way of knowing that they aren't nearing the completion of a circumnavigation of the continent, or that you just happened to catch them at the sprint part of their training regime, or indeed that they just got a little excited by a rabbit.

I've taken the long way round, but to my way of thinking you may find you get a little less worked up about being overtaken if you try not to assume too much about other riders. I get passed by all sorts too (obviously) and the only time it concerns me at all is if I am endangered by the act.

We all find whatever reasons we can to overcome the hurt and push on that little bit harder/further. It isn't necessarily fun, but if you can make it so, or find a reason to raise a smile whilst your body/mind are telling you to stop, then all power to you.

I'm not trying to pick on you AP81. I know you were leading up to the unsafe part. There just seems to be a lot of competitive type behaviour (nature of the beast I guess) brought up in this thread and it regularly leans towards the us vs them and MGIF stuff that we call motorists out on....and I felt like a bit of a rant and this seemed like as good a place as any to hang it. :)

In a similar vein, anyone else get a little slack jawed when some kid next to them on the footpath easily revs it up to in excess of 40kph on a bmx they can't even sit down on whilst pedaling?
K2

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:50 pm

VRE wrote:
bychosis wrote:That damned Strava, costing humanity common courtesy. Still, the pedestrian should not have stepped out like that into what is obviously a bike zone.

The cyclist could have easily given more room when overtaking.

Why should he. The duck didn't pay for that road.
InTheWoods

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:17 pm

If you are going to pass, do it properly and don't give them a chance to get you back. If they can't see you in the distance.... :wink:

And make sure when you are passing you say hello in a totally effortless manner and look like you are just rolling along easily! :twisted:
g-boaf

Postby AP81 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm

K2 wrote:
I'm not trying to pick on you AP81. I know you were leading up to the unsafe part. There just seems to be a lot of competitive type behaviour (nature of the beast I guess) brought up in this thread and it regularly leans towards the us vs them and MGIF stuff that we call motorists out on....and I felt like a bit of a rant and this seemed like as good a place as any to hang it. :)

Duly noted, I think g-boaf hit the nail on the head...

g-boaf wrote:If you are going to pass, do it properly and don't give them a chance to get you back. If they can't see you in the distance.... :wink:
And make sure when you are passing you say hello in a totally effortless manner and look like you are just rolling along easily! :twisted:
Steel - is - real
AP81

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:27 pm

g-boaf wrote:And make sure when you are passing you say hello in a totally effortless manner and look like you are just rolling along easily! :twisted:

Is eating a cheese and bacon bread roll (more like a loaf) from the bakery on the TT bike with one hand on your chin/elbow on the elbow pad and the other hand holding the bread roll/on the bars and saying hello/friendly nod too......much of a tease?..... :lol: :twisted:

Lukeyboy

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:46 pm

The chap in full Giant Kit on a Giant Defy (Defy the traffic laws) that ran every single red light on Footscray Road till....... About 100 meters up the path 3 Bike police pulled him over for a please explain. I was laughing so hard I almost fell off into the grass.
Saturnstarzz

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I too had to brake hard to avoid some ducks while pounding along a road in search of Strava greatness today, I was quite annoyed for a few seconds before the laughter came. I must have been doing 45 kph+, silly things didn't even think to run away until I was on top of them.
AndrewBurns

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Me tonight:

finally cracked it at the cars driving with a wheel and mirror in the "bike lane" along sylvan rd (toowong). was going slow enough, cars were stopped. said car had 2 wheels (and left hand mirror) in the "bike lane". It got a whack. (cars were banked/stopped). as I rolled away I heard them beep their horn. probably don't even know what they did wrong.
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:46 pm

jasonc wrote:Me tonight:

finally cracked it at the cars driving with a wheel and mirror in the "bike lane" along sylvan rd (toowong). was going slow enough, cars were stopped. said car had 2 wheels (and left hand mirror) in the "bike lane". It got a whack. (cars were banked/stopped). as I rolled away I heard them beep their horn. probably don't even know what they did wrong.

Lukeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion