The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tubby74 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Heading west on parramatta road at norton st last night just after dusk I was confronted by a helmetless cyclist riding at me on the wrong side of the divided road. was not easy to spot ahead of time but he squeezed by between car and median strip
tubby74

by BNA » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:30 pm

BNA

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Hehe, I do it all the time. And it's even legal. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:54 pm

jasonc wrote:Me tonight:

finally cracked it at the cars driving with a wheel and mirror in the "bike lane" along sylvan rd (toowong). was going slow enough, cars were stopped. said car had 2 wheels (and left hand mirror) in the "bike lane". It got a whack. (cars were banked/stopped). as I rolled away I heard them beep their horn. probably don't even know what they did wrong.

I hate that bit of the road, have had so many incidents, one where a D---head pull over to use his mobile and blocked the bike lane and forced me up the gutter and then you get people opening car doors on you.
Dragster1

Postby VRE » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:Me tonight:

finally cracked it at the cars driving with a wheel and mirror in the "bike lane" along sylvan rd (toowong). was going slow enough, cars were stopped. said car had 2 wheels (and left hand mirror) in the "bike lane". It got a whack. (cars were banked/stopped). as I rolled away I heard them beep their horn. probably don't even know what they did wrong.

I hate that bit of the road, have had so many incidents, one where a D---head pull over to use his mobile and blocked the bike lane and forced me up the gutter and then you get people opening car doors on you.

When I pass motorists using their phones while parked in the bike lane, I give them a good long AirZound blast just as I ride past their driver's window :twisted: . Yes, I know, technically I shouldn't be using the horn for that, but when motorists are parked in the bike lane for no justifiable reason, I feel it's my duty to disrupt their phone call.
VRE

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Two tradies riding bikes this morning at about 6.30am in the city area coming toward me diagonally heading on a collision course across their 2 lanes and unbroken centre line across first of "my" lanes and then into the lane I was in. No lights on (though I could see them because they had reflective hi-vis shirt on and I had my AYUPs on plus there were street lamps) and I think a construction helmet instead of bicycle helmet. First guy saw me at the last minute and swerved away, second guy saw first guy swerve and worked out what was happening (I think...may be giving him too much credit! :roll: ) and swerved as well.
Apart from me nearly hitting them (actually they nearly hit me; distinct difference) about 100m behind me is a major tee intersection where vehicles can quickly come around the blind corner onto the road we were on. Luckily for these clowns this didn't happen or that would of been their last bike ride.
Ross

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Ross wrote:Two tradies riding bikes this morning at about 6.30am in the city area coming toward me diagonally heading on a collision course across their 2 lanes and unbroken centre line across first of "my" lanes and then into the lane I was in. No lights on (though I could see them because they had reflective hi-vis shirt on and I had my AYUPs on plus there were street lamps) and I think a construction helmet instead of bicycle helmet. First guy saw me at the last minute and swerved away, second guy saw first guy swerve and worked out what was happening (I think...may be giving him too much credit! :roll: ) and swerved as well.
Apart from me nearly hitting them (actually they nearly hit me; distinct difference) about 100m behind me is a major tee intersection where vehicles can quickly come around the blind corner onto the road we were on. Luckily for these clowns this didn't happen or that would of been their last bike ride.

they'll get their driver's licenses back soon enough
jules21

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Me this morning - crossing from the bike path onto the road & didn't take account of the sudden glare as I came into the sun - missed getting hit by a taxi, but only because the driver was paying attention. He was even polite about it, challenging all the usual stereotypes about Sydney cabbies. At least I had the time to thank him.
find_bruce

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:04 pm

That'd be me.
Had to take the smokebox to the mechanics first thing to get a leak fixed. No drama, throw the Fixed and stuff into the boot the night before so it's just coffee, clothes and away.

Forgot the lid :oops: No option but to ride free the 4kms home. Sorta felt good...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm

In the event constable plod pulls you over, the trick is to be able to react as if they had just pointed out you left home without pants
find_bruce

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 pm

K2 wrote:In a similar vein, anyone else get a little slack jawed when some kid next to them on the footpath easily revs it up to in excess of 40kph on a bmx they can't even sit down on whilst pedaling?

Haha, yes. I was ten minutes into my 30km commute home from Homebush a couple of years ago, and this kid on a department store mtb just winds it up and flies past me up the rise and then pulls into a driveway a few doors up. Cheeky bugger, didn't give me a chance to reel him in!

Used to get a few roadies laugh as I went past doing hill repeats "Geez, we can't let a mountain bike beat us! :twisted: :lol: " but I've given back most of those fitness gains and am rebuilding again. :(

"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Zombie pedestrian (wearing earphones with music/whatever clearly up too loud and not looking before stepping out onto the road) from yesterday evening's commute. He didn't turn around at any point in time, even when I was right near him and trying to get his attention.

For a speed reference I was going max 15kph or so as I'd just had to manoeuvre around parking cars.
Summernight

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:48 pm

I'd hate to have to do a city commute.
How I managed to survive London for 3 years still perplexes me!
BianchiCam

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Summernight wrote:Zombie pedestrian (wearing earphones with music/whatever clearly up too loud and not looking before stepping out onto the road)

HERE yer go, works a treat for me. If you ever see this long haired bearded, ugly as a BFOA bloke on a red Kona, ask for a listen. But step back :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby VRE » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

BianchiCam wrote:I'd hate to have to do a city commute.
How I managed to survive London for 3 years still perplexes me!

As I work at the southwest corner of the CBD, I just ride along Northbank until the MCG, then head north along 3km of road until I get to the Gipps St bridge over the Yarra. After that, the remaining 29km of my commute is pretty relaxing. Even the Northbank bit is OK: most pedestrians react properly to my bell, and I always say "thanks" when they do :) .
VRE

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Cleaning out the GoPro and found this one... Stupid owner not using the lead attached to the dog, dog with random direction changes on the shared path. Situation was even more difficult because I was riding with a mate behind.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Two people tonight. One cyclist (maybe a POBSO if you want to call him that) riding along at night in the opposite direction with no lights at all. :roll: Only the wheel reflectors and pedal reflectors made him visible.

And second person was the pedestrian taking his dog for a walk on the cycleway. It wasn't on a leash, and given it was very dark - very, very silly and very dangerous. I was doing about 38km/h but as soon as I saw the guy in the distance I slowed right down to about 18km/h and upon seeing the dog, dropped the speed back to 10km/h just to be sure.

And maybe a 3rd dumb cyclist - or perhaps a scared one - me! :lol: I heard a magpie screeching its warning call and promptly put the hammer down and rode along at 40km/h+. :oops: The bird left me alone, but I wasn't taking chances while there was still some daylight.
g-boaf

Postby VRE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 am

I was riding a completely unlit section of shared path yesterday evening on my way home, and by completely unlit I mean surrounded by trees with no street or house lights in sight, and with the moon in its dying phase. Next thing I know, there's a pedestrian right in front of me, walking on the right side of the path, with dark, non-reflective clothes and carrying no lights. When I mentioned this to him, he just swore at me. Sometimes I think some pedestrians deliberately try to be invisible, just to stir up arguments, or to somehow assert their 'ownership' of the 'shared' path.
VRE

Postby K2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 am

bychosis wrote:Cleaning out the GoPro and found this one... Stupid owner not using the lead attached to the dog, dog with random direction changes on the shared path. Situation was even more difficult because I was riding with a mate behind.

Yup, used to get quite a few of those at a local park. At least they've read the signs. Now all we need is for councils to add another couple of words just so these folk don't get so confused...."Dogs AND OWNERS must be kept on leash at all times."

Then again, that's just going to end up with a bunch of dogs trailing leads running around willy nilly whilst their owners sporting brand new studded dog collars amuse themselves humming 'Anarchy In The UK'. You could almost convince yourself that these people go out of their way not to do the right thing. :shock:
K2

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Summernight wrote:Zombie pedestrian (wearing earphones with music/whatever clearly up too loud and not looking before stepping out onto the road)

HERE yer go, works a treat for me. If you ever see this long haired bearded, ugly as a BFOA bloke on a red Kona, ask for a listen. But step back :wink:

How do you use it? I'm interested as the AZ doesn't quite fit the bill for what I want and the Hornit may be too alienish to be taken notice of.
Summernight

Postby K2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 am

trailgumby wrote:Used to get a few roadies laugh as I went past doing hill repeats "Geez, we can't let a mountain bike beat us! :twisted: :lol: "

An early morning group of a dozen or so caught up with me a while ago and the oldish chap leading them decided to have a chat, so I ended up sitting on the front with him for 5ks or so. After a while it sounded like one of the younger lads behind was questioning my choice of ride as the older head next to him advised something along the lines of "You can never judge by the bike or how they look. I've seen thin guys who look like a breeze would knock them off leave everyone else for dead." Wise words.

I like your vids. That chest mount works wonderfully.
K2

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Nominated - The four riders this morning, one behind each other in close formation, that went sailing past me at speed over the centre line thru the underpass at the bottom of the stretch of path south of the Bull Creek rail station.

I stopped about twenty metres outside of that underpass and looked back at it. Any ped or rider between where I was and the underpass would have very likely come to grief or the riders would have at the speed. There is no way that the riders could have slowed safely if there had been someone there.

The lead riders mumured "watch out" as he was a couple of metres behind me is of no use to me nor to anyone approaching on the other side of the path. A screech would have imroved the situation not an iota.

Dumb cyclists trusting dumb luck. Pls take the road and try your slick riding skills against some cars instead.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Summernight wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:

How do you use it? I'm interested as the AZ doesn't quite fit the bill for what I want and the Hornit may be too alienish to be taken notice of.

It's a whistle, you stick the smaller end in yer mouth and blow :wink:
Mine hangs from the shoulder strap of my backpack on one of those retracta reels you hang tags and stuff off, a few $ from Officeworks. Easy to find and unloseable. Mine stays permanently in my teeth for the runs along Swanston or LaTrobe, once I'm out of meanderthal country I just open my mouth and it zips back. Methinks you will find regular use on Albert.
The beauty I've found in it is the way you can get so many sounds out of it from a gentle bikepath friendly "woo" to a full blooded "clown just redmanned in front of me across Flinders Lane at Swanston and there is zero escape room." scream.

EDIT!!! Ffwd the video to the 1:25 mark for the action.

The offer of a demo is always open but bring Perseus' shield with you :wink:
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 am

Darn it. I just can't hold it in my mouth for the whole of Collins St. 1) I'm not good with holding things in my mouth (can't even do the dental visits well with one of the best gag reflexes) and 2) I'm puffing my head off with full mouth-breathing to survive the hill... But maybe I could attach it to my pink girls horn... Or just start collecting weird and wonderful horns/whistles and attaching them to my backpack. :lol:

(I thought there was a pull-able version where you just pull the string out and, like a wind-up toy, the whistle will go off until the string has retracted the whole way back in)
Summernight

Postby TheWoodenTree » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Another one for the road.

Red Light Cyclist
TheWoodenTree

Postby TraceyG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Older woman walking on a shared path in Melbourne yesterday clearly didn't like being passed by our large group of cyclists. As soon as she realised we were coming up behind her (no surprises, lead cyclist rang his bell, others called out that there was a walker up), she stepped to the right to walk right down the centre of the path. Then she abused us all for being too noisy. I politely (really, I was polite!) pointed out that it was for her safety that we were letting each other know that she was there but I got told to shut up and stop making so much noise.

At least other walkers on the same trail appreciated the warnings and a few even said thanks as we passed - slowly and widely.
TraceyG

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion