The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm

TraceyG wrote:Older woman walking on a shared path in Melbourne yesterday clearly didn't like being passed by our large group of cyclists. As soon as she realised we were coming up behind her (no surprises, lead cyclist rang his bell, others called out that there was a walker up), she stepped to the right to walk right down the centre of the path. Then she abused us all for being too noisy. I politely (really, I was polite!) pointed out that it was for her safety that we were letting each other know that she was there but I got told to shut up and stop making so much noise.

some people are just looking for an opportunity to complain. ride on.. :)
jules21

by BNA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

jules21 wrote:ride on.. :)

To a bike bell and cleat/uncleat chorus :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jules21 wrote:ride on.. :)

To a bike bell and cleat/uncleat chorus :wink:

LOL yes I know what happens when you don't hear the uncleat noise and someone just stops walking right in front of you. Its like a hole lot of tambourines hitting together out of chorus. Part of the fun until someone looses an eye or gets yelled at :wink:
Dragster1

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Me, today.
Saw the guys standing around on the exit to the quarry but it didnt register they were there for a reason, and he only started waving at me when i was almost upon the gravel. (camera doesnt show it so well because of the brightness difference i guess?)
Slowed to about 30ish by the time i was on it, picked a line where it was a little sparser. tyres appear to be ok..

Usually on the lookout for isolated rocks coming down there, just hasn't occurred to me until now to look for huge spills.
Last edited by Bah77 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bah77

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 pm

might go a different way to work tomorrow... see if they've cleaned it up on the way up first
jasonc

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Theyd have to wouldn't they, i'd assume they'd get fairly decent fines if they just left it there?
Although if they half arse it, could still be fairly annoying.
Bah77

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Bah77 wrote:Theyd have to wouldn't they, i'd assume they'd get fairly decent fines if they just left it there?
Although if they half arse it, could still be fairly annoying.

Yes indeedy they do. Of course, just pushing all the carop onto the shoulder so the smokebox line is clear will be deemed sufficient.

Glad you held it together and stayed rubber down mate. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 pm

That makes two of us.
Bah77

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:05 am

definitely clean this morning
jasonc

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Bah77 wrote:Theyd have to wouldn't they, i'd assume they'd get fairly decent fines if they just left it there?

chucking lumps of gravel on the road like that is how we get our roads resealed here... :roll: and all road bike riders grit their teeth for 3 months... :lol:
cp123

Postby nescius » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:49 pm

I forgot about a good one yesterday morning - Overcast conditions and a damp road, just before 9am, a dumb cyclist approches red light. Dumb cyclist does not slow down and blows straight through red light causing crossing traffic (with the green) much angst. One of the cars crossing gave him a blast of the horn (deservedly so) and was rewarded with a middle finger salute. It's always good to see fellow cyclists building good relationships with other road users.
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Ninja riding at night, no lights, no reflectors, nothing. And has the nerve to yell out "bloody hell" as I'm going past the other way in my lane. Yes, I agree with his assertion - get some lights so you can be seen at night. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:08 pm

The Cyclist that was Drafting a front wheel up my back wheel yesterday for quite a while on the Coronation Drive bike path at Toowong.
Dragster1

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Dragster1 wrote:The Cyclist that was Drafting a front wheel up my back wheel yesterday for quite a while on the Coronation Drive bike path at Toowong.

meh. I had one on my wheel the whole path yesterday. the roadworks are all done. it's relatively smooth, visibility is good. just call early. if you don't like it stop and tell them to go away.
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:The Cyclist that was Drafting a front wheel up my back wheel yesterday for quite a while on the Coronation Drive bike path at Toowong.

meh. I had one on my wheel the whole path yesterday. the roadworks are all done. it's relatively smooth, visibility is good. just call early. if you don't like it stop and tell them to go away.

I'd rather increase the tempo and see if they have the legs :P
Lukeyboy

Postby westab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Or if your not quick like me the old snot rocket, or better still the methane BLLLLLAAAAAAASSST. :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :shock:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd rather increase the tempo and see if they have the legs :P

after the last month I had, and it being dark, we sat on 36/37. that was enough
jasonc

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

http://youtu.be/XCr9gQ16Sx8

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

I normally do this and burn them off but I decided to take a new route into town that was mainly in back streets to avoid traffic and didn't know how rough the route was going to be. Decided to take my old faithful mountain bike in for a spin. After getting lost a few times and some quite large hills and 80kms of riding decided to take the easy way home.

What was even funnier is that they were on a road bike. They actually wouldn't move over and forced me to ride in between two walkers at one stage. Don't really care no was hurt but still not good practise all the same it could of turned worse. I was in a rush to get home well before dark otherwise I would of stoped and it didn't help any that I was held up in the road works for quite a while. I don't mind people drafting as long as the stay behind me, I consider it to be a lot safer.
Dragster1

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Boognoss wrote:I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

Cheers, Simon

ouch. you ok simon?
and more importantly, how's the bike?
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Boognoss wrote:I was a dumb cyclist this morning. I know about expansion joints in the wet but i didn't do anything about this one.......

:shock: Ouch. Hope you and the bike are okay. That looks like a fast road too... Bloody slick metal.
Summernight

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

oooh ouch. I've done that, but not on such a busy road. Are you and the bike okay?
thomashouseman

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Cheers, Simon

That could have been much worse, hope your alright. Only a few ways to handle that one. Stop and walk over it, or take it at a 90 degree angle and on that road no way.

Hows the bike given falling over on drivetrain side?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Cheers, Simon

I'll parrot what everyone else has said and I hope all is well, could've been a bit nasty.
FuzzyDropbear

Postby Boognoss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks all. I have an arm scrape and one near my right knee. Bit of a bruise on my hip but all ok. I've done more damage from lesser accidents. The rain both caused and mitigated this one......

I had a bar end mirror on the right bar end that smashed. Fixed. Also bent the RD hanger which I've just finished fixing. Ended up calling in sick since the bike was non-functional and I knew I wanted it fixed :-). The lovely wife picked me up in a mercy dash.

Back on the road again tomorrow.

I rarely use Beecroft Rd as there are a few other options. I don't think I'll tempt fate there again.

Cheers, Simon
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion