The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:18 pm

I,m not. My usual comment is, "If we find them alone we just take them home and eat them" But sometimes I am really rude
Percrime

by BNA » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 pm

BNA

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 pm

First clip is an old guy standing in the middle of and blocking the bikelane. Second clip is of a woman crossing the road in the exact same area. The only issue I have with the second clip are peds that continue to cross into your lane as you're approaching while looking directly at you. Is it really that difficult to use one of the two ped crossings in that area.

Lukeyboy

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Percrime wrote:I,m not. My usual comment is, "If we find them alone we just take them home and eat them" But sometimes I am really rude

do you cook them before eating them? ;)

they don't care. they feel no responsibility towards others' safety. the council doesn't help either - i've raised this with them and they don't want to know.
jules21

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Of course. Sheesh. What do you think.. we are uncivilised?

The owners often seem upset when you grab dog and run away with it tho. Interesting.

I have long reached the conclusion that much of what is wrong with the world is epitomised by the parent unable to train a dog adequately
Percrime

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:09 pm

jules21 wrote:idiot dog walkers! i am polite to them though :)

But they are vulnerable path users, you have to give way to them (in a whining voice). ;)

Yeah - I agree with you, lost count of the number of times I've seen dog walkers breaking the rules - even when a sign is right nearby telling them to keep their dogs restrained.
g-boaf

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:First clip is an old guy standing in the middle of and blocking the bikelane. Second clip is of a woman crossing the road in the exact same area. The only issue I have with the second clip are peds that continue to cross into your lane as you're approaching while looking directly at you. Is it really that difficult to use one of the two ped crossings in that area.

I'm confused. I'm having difficulty not arriving at a different POV. Am I missing something here?
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 pm

As I said my main concern was the first guy standing in the bike lane with a walker impeeding users using the bike lane. There was no reason for him to be standing there blocking the lane. The bus stop beside him is raised so there would be issues for the bus if a ramp was required for him to use or if it was a high step bus. Second clip is another one of those annoying peds that continue to walk into your lane as your passing by which I have no major problem with.
Lukeyboy

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 am

Lukeyboy wrote:As I said my main concern was the first guy standing in the bike lane with a walker impeeding users using the bike lane. There was no reason for him to be standing there blocking the lane. The bus stop beside him is raised so there would be issues for the bus if a ramp was required for him to use or if it was a high step bus. Second clip is another one of those annoying peds that continue to walk into your lane as your passing by which I have no major problem with.

Maybe. But your video looks to me that you then headed off road onto the ped path and without checking your speed. Then continued at an innappropriate speed past doors and shops then, still at speed, across a blind pedestrian corner/path that could have had any number of legit or illegit users at risk, and then across the road before heading back onto the road where you belonged.

Annoying is one thing, but dangerous is worse. I'm hoping that I am missing something in my assessment.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby cp123 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Yesterday afternoon, Canberra city, Marcus Clark Street, Cnr of Edinburgh Ave lights.

To the tall chap with the small beard and one pannier on his bike who was at the lights on Marcus Clark street while facing northwards, why oh why did you just scoot through the glaringly obvious red light because you (I assume) were in a hurry and there was a break in oncoming (right turning) traffic. I was the person behind you who waited another few minutes until our own light went green. You wouldn't have heard it, but the driver of the white car we were both next to wound down his window, let out all the typical "bloody cyclists... running red lights... bloody typical..." and other sarcastic laughter type comments that i had to endure.

Irony - you were wearing an Amy Gillett Grand Fondo jersey. Amy Gillett Foundation - safety... share the road, working to eliminate fatalities and injuries on the road, cycle safe messages etc...

Your actions lead to a harder time for all of us "good" cyclists.... :roll:
cp123

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:09 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:As I said my main concern was the first guy standing in the bike lane with a walker impeeding users using the bike lane. There was no reason for him to be standing there blocking the lane. The bus stop beside him is raised so there would be issues for the bus if a ramp was required for him to use or if it was a high step bus. Second clip is another one of those annoying peds that continue to walk into your lane as your passing by which I have no major problem with.

Maybe. But your video looks to me that you then headed off road onto the ped path and without checking your speed. Then continued at an innappropriate speed past doors and shops then, still at speed, across a blind pedestrian corner/path that could have had any number of legit or illegit users at risk, and then across the road before heading back onto the road where you belonged.

Annoying is one thing, but dangerous is worse. I'm hoping that I am missing something in my assessment.

:lol: :lol: You basically said the opposite of everything I did.
Lukeyboy

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

The risks Colin identifies remain around a corner shop like that, even without doors on the street side it might be a kid on a bike entitled to use the path or teen still outgrowing their entitlement going quicker.
For the old guy with walking aid head on in cycle lane, from his age before paths that was how you walked head on into traffic, and is still debated by people about the practice on shared paths and failing to keep left, so understandable... maybe safer for him but still dangerous more than annoying to the cyclist who has to look to enter a lane in solid traffic. If coming to a stop, someone is going to have to get around someone else and that's not the place to do it. Such is life and we have to rise above shoulds and should nots and take the higher road.

We can see from Lukeyboy's shadow on the pavement he did check the road option to take the lane possibly, then checked the path option, appears to have coasted through and checked again before each crossing before rejoining. He mashes the pedals to suggest he was coasting and cautious in the detour around old guy and then accelerating once in the bike lane again. With the lack of being present I'd give him benefit of the doubt.

It's hard with video to make great environmental assumptions because of the field of view. When using two cameras with narrow and wide angle, the narrow angle gave the pants filling urgency of cars/pedestrians/cyclists doing sudden cut off and kill you maneuvers. The wide view mad everything look innocent like a Sunday stroll and emergency braking that was sudden looked like a lazy gentle rear coaster brake slow down, not the heaving on front disc brake that it actually was.

I guess that's a risk of posting your footage of what was obvious to you but not obvious to others. At least we can comfort each other sharing the same knowing we've all done something dumb in life... we just don't tend to share videos of ourselves doing them and its up to others to do that for us :lol: :lol:
eldavo

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:32 pm

eldavo wrote:It's hard with video to make great environmental assumptions because of the field of view. When using two cameras with narrow and wide angle, the narrow angle gave the pants filling urgency of cars/pedestrians/cyclists doing sudden cut off and kill you maneuvers. The wide view mad everything look innocent like a Sunday stroll and emergency braking that was sudden looked like a lazy gentle rear coaster brake slow down, not the heaving on front disc brake that it actually was.

+1 The wide angle ones make close passes look more distant, and makes 20kmh look like you are in a ITT defending the yellow jersey.

Somewhere around the normal lens on the jumbo type cameras provides about the most "normal" viewpoint IMO - I've see a couple of vids with narrower angle and they looked weird - like riding in slow motion while tailgating the car in front :) The gopro wide angles capture everything but distances and speeds are quite distorted.
InTheWoods

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

InTheWoods wrote:+1 The wide angle ones make close passes look more distant, and makes 20kmh look like you are in a ITT defending the yellow jersey

It's good for a non-incident type situation - when reviewing footage it makes me feel like I actually ride fast when really I don't. :P

But whenever things are posted online using footage from a wide-angle there are always some that assume that the speed perception is accurate and that one is riding at 50kph when one is really doing 15kph. I would probably assume the same (someone riding too fast) if I didn't have this exact phenomenon with my camera.
Summernight

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Summernight wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:+1 The wide angle ones make close passes look more distant, and makes 20kmh look like you are in a ITT defending the yellow jersey

It's good for a non-incident type situation - when reviewing footage it makes me feel like I actually ride fast when really I don't. :P

But whenever things are posted online using footage from a wide-angle there are always some that assume that the speed perception is accurate and that I'm riding at 50kph when I'm doing 15kph.

Perhaps I should have used a term other than "check". I used the term in the context of "reducing" speed. I have looked again at the video and see no speed reduction.

I am aware that the lense is, as on most videos posted here, a short focal length cam and I factor that into my judgement. And he may have been going "only" at 20kph.

But 20kph is an innapropriate speed to be doing on the path up against doors and through blind corners. A ped coming around the blind corner will not be acting in a manner to preserve themselves from someone riding at 20kph - half that speed is what is called for - and it certainly doesn't look anything like 10kph even after factoring in the cameral focal length.

Annoying though it may be, the simple, safe and legal response to a ped in the way is to slow down and get around them or wait or whatever. As an aside non-cyclists rightly get annoyed when we morph from road-rider to path-ped to road-rider at our convenience.

The only point of agreement we may have however is that the post is in the correct thread. :lol:
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:21 pm

The reason I didn't reduce my speed greatly was because there was no need for it. On the road I was only doing 23kph before the servo. On the footpath I was averaging between 15-17kph and once back on the road ramped it up to 44kph. There are no doors (the red door has a lock on the bottom if you look close) and there are no blind corners in that area. The building on the end is a showroom for the second hand car dealer yard there. The only entrance is 20-30m down on the side street. There is no footpath on that side of the road and the showroom has large glass panels along both sides giving a clear view of what's on the side street. Members here that don't know me should note that I don't ride a 54cm bike... even a large frame with a 230mm stem is just enough for me to put the power down. Heck, I have to go into TT mode just to get under one bridge in Wynumn :lol: so I can easily see over the tops of a lot of things that most people here can't (Live bands/concerts rule :P)

InTheWoods wrote:+1 The wide angle ones make close passes look more distant, and makes 20kmh look like you are in a ITT defending the yellow jersey.

Should see the footage when 75+ pops up on the Garmin.Zooooooom :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Should see the footage when 65+ pops up on the Garmin.Zooooooom :lol:

I think I actually need to see that. The still doesn't do it for me. Link?
InTheWoods

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:54 pm

cp123 wrote:Yesterday afternoon, Canberra city, Marcus Clark Street, Cnr of Edinburgh Ave lights.

To the tall chap with the small beard and one pannier on his bike You wouldn't have heard it, but the driver of the white car we were both next to wound down his window, let out all the typical "bloody cyclists... running red lights... bloody typical..." and other sarcastic laughter type comments that i had to endure.

Irony - you were wearing an Amy Gillett Grand Fondo jersey. Amy Gillett Foundation - safety... share the road, working to eliminate fatalities and injuries on the road, cycle safe messages etc...

Your actions lead to a harder time for all of us "good" cyclists.... :roll:

Indeed. Douche...
BianchiCam

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:41 am

Lukeyboy wrote:The reason I didn't reduce my speed greatly was because there was no need for it. On the road I was only doing 23kph before the servo. On the footpath I was averaging between 15-17kph and once back on the road ramped it up to 44kph. There are no doors (the red door has a lock on the bottom if you look close) and there are no blind corners in that area. The building on the end is a showroom for the second hand car dealer yard there. The only entrance is 20-30m down on the side street. There is no footpath on that side of the road and the showroom has large glass panels along both sides giving a clear view of what's on the side street. Members here that don't know me should note that I don't ride a 54cm bike... even a large frame with a 230mm stem is just enough for me to put the power down. Heck, I have to go into TT mode just to get under one bridge in Wynumn :lol: so I can easily see over the tops of a lot of things that most people here can't (Live bands/concerts rule :P)

InTheWoods wrote:+1 The wide angle ones make close passes look more distant, and makes 20kmh look like you are in a ITT defending the yellow jersey.

Should see the footage when 75+ pops up on the Garmin.Zooooooom :lol:

Fair 'nuff. :)
ColinOldnCranky

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

saw many dumb cyclists this morning. The ride to conquer cancer started this morning - 2 days - 100kms each day. have to raise $2500 to do it. all great and all. problem is, if you're walking after 5kms, there's a problem. The organisers need to be held responsible before one of them gets hurt, or hurts someone else.
jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:10 pm

One of those rides was in Sydney a few years back. A lot of people who wouldn't normally ride bikes that often (judging by their bike handling) are there. So you've just got to keep your wits about you. I stumbled on the course because it just happened to be on my regular Saturday riding route and they can't block us residents from using the facilities our council rates pay for.

But the dumb cyclist this morning was the fool going downhill at the start of the M7 cycleway (Prestons end) tucked down on his bars in full aero descent position on my side of the cycleway coming at me at high speed. The other riders near him were warning him, he obviously didn't hear. And it wasn't until I screamed at the top of my voice that he slowed down and pulled over. :evil: Absolutely stupid.b :roll:

I was already slowing down and ready to head off onto the grass if needed. When people do silly things like that, it'll will only be a matter of time before a mandatory speed limit is in place and enforced, if it isn't already. And I'm informed this morning by another rider that the M7 cycleway 30km/h advisory speed limit is now mandatory and enforced by Police on bicycles. :(

Before the zealots start jumping up and down saying 30km/h is still too fast, you have to remember this is no ordinary pedestrian footpath, this is a quite wide and very smooth purpose built high speed, long distance cycleway which in most parts sees very little if any pedestrian traffic due to the fact many parts of it are quite remote and quite far from very densely populated areas.
g-boaf

Postby Bah77 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Guy in front checks behind and moves right, i think he is setting up to turn right, so move to pass on the left at which point he moves back to the left :roll:
Probably not the best to pass on the left, but when you think someone is turning right you assume it will be ok, but assumption is the mother of all.... as they say.

Also saw some guy overtaking traffic through U.Q.
Picture for reference, traffic was a little slow for his liking i guess. (for mine too), later on up the road he almost got right hooked for his trouble
Might not have been his fault i didnt see it from up close, but...
(he was too far ahead, doesnt show up on video too well)
Bah77

Postby Red Rider » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 am

That cyclist was playing with danger Bah77!

A work colleague recently broke his jaw in four places when he rode into the back of a stationary boat being towed by a car. He is pretty :oops: when he tells the story. Earned himself 6 weeks off work. Lesson is: look where you're going!
Red Rider

Postby lobstermash » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 am

More dog walkers off leash on the shared path yesterday. Poor little dogs wouldn't stand a chance if they ran under my bike. Being a dog person, I can't believe people put their pets in such danger...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby MisuVir » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:34 am

lobstermash wrote:More dog walkers off leash on the shared path yesterday. Poor little dogs wouldn't stand a chance if they ran under my bike. Being a dog person, I can't believe people put their pets in such danger...

Yeah. My commute is 17 km along a shared path. Dodging unleashed dogs is something I have to do almost every day. You would think the owners would start worrying about the well-being of their pets after the first few times they almost get killed.
MisuVir

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 am

MisuVir wrote:
lobstermash wrote:More dog walkers off leash on the shared path yesterday. Poor little dogs wouldn't stand a chance if they ran under my bike. Being a dog person, I can't believe people put their pets in such danger...

Yeah. My commute is 17 km along a shared path. Dodging unleashed dogs is something I have to do almost every day. You would think the owners would start worrying about the well-being of their pets after the first few times they almost get killed.

As a dog lover this annoys me too. Having seen a few dogs run over, one, in front of me as while I was a ped, even while I was on the road in a traffic gap (slow moving less than 10-15k's and room either side to pass on a very wide shoulder) people were still trying to run me and another kind citizen over and honking the horn while the poor bugger took his last breath before we dragged him to the side.
The first time a cyclist kills a dog, it will go crazy from there.
Wakatuki

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion