The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 am

Riding along, got a phone call so pulled over to check the voice mail. I did a head check before starting off and waited for a guy to pass - road bike with aero bars, a rear pannier, aero bottle cage on the seat post, mirror on the helmet : Mr Different. Then, about 100m up the road, this guy shaves me - no courtesy "passing" call, no courtesy space : Mr NoCourtesy. A 'coupla minutes' up the road, Mr NoCourtesty has caught up to Mr Different, looking for a place to pass. He gets a gap in the traffic and pulls across, Mr Different puts the hammer down, and now they are riding side by side with Mr NoCourtesy on the white line in an 80kph zone. Every-so-slowly, Mr NoCourtesy gets ahead and immediately Mr Different changes to Mr Klingon. Mr NoCourtesy is down on the drops hammering away with this guy stuck to his wheel who only seconds before was working his arse off not to be passed!

Now, I'm on my TT bike, so picking a gap in the traffic, I blast past both of them because I don't want to be near either of them. A head check about a K up the road showed that Mr Klingon had dropped Mr NoCourtesy and was trying to catch me, which he did at the next lights, but he couldn't hold on if I went into aero-mode. As I reached my destination, Mr NoCourtesy skimmed me when I sat up in heavy traffic, then for good measure at the next set of lights he squeezed past a woman waiting behind the white line at a red light so he could go first. The woman has turned and looked at me to see if I was going to do the same thing to her, I just shrugged.

I know I shouldn't judge others so harshly... but deity help us if they drive cars like they ride bicycles.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

by BNA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:09 pm

BNA

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:09 pm

"I blast past both of them becausse i don't want to be near either of them". what about cos you're a hell of a lot stronger and faster than both of them.
cp123

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I am the dumb cyclist today. I kept following one rider, he crossed the red light, then I almost followed him. I noticed the car coming, and driver looking elsewhere. Hit the brakes as hard as I can, rear tyre went airbourne, if it was my roaddie, I will probably end up under the car. The fully loaded panniers saves my day!
rheicel

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 am

To the cyclist overtaking 2 other cyclists at the narrowest point just before the gladstone rd hill this morning - please don't do that again. Yes the car next to you was too close, but don't put yourself in that situation. waiting 100m would have made it much safer for everyone.
jasonc

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am

cp123 wrote:"I blast past both of them becausse i don't want to be near either of them". what about cos you're a hell of a lot stronger and faster than both of them.

Nah - TT beats roadie on any given flat section. I *may* have been sitting up when I passed then, just to make a point. :twisted:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 am

Dibs to the guy along West Coast Highway PSP on his Tribars watching a video on his Dumbphone/tablet whilst cruising at 30km/h.
CXCommuter

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 am

CXCommuter wrote:Dibs to the guy along West Coast Highway PSP on his Tribars watching a video on his Dumbphone/tablet whilst cruising at 30km/h.

oh man. i wish i could do that.
jasonc

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am

Yes I am rather jealous also
CXCommuter

Postby MisuVir » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Dibs to the guy along West Coast Highway PSP on his Tribars watching a video on his Dumbphone/tablet whilst cruising at 30km/h.

Was it mounted to his bars, or was he holding the phone? I know I've seen people on my commute riding with no hands and sending messages or browsing the Internet on their phone.
MisuVir

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:25 pm

He was holding the phone in both hands leaning forward on the tri bars
CXCommuter

Postby Bah77 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Okay you want to walk on the cycle path, great, oh you also want to walk directly in the center?
Bah77

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Bah77 wrote:Okay you want to walk on the cycle path, great, oh you also want to walk directly in the center?

LOL! see this all the time normally with the head phones on also and they crap themselves when you fly pass and your shadow hits them. I've felt like giving them a quick flick on the backside with my foot but with the laws these days bad idea. :)
Dragster1

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Bah77 wrote:Okay you want to walk on the cycle path, great, oh you also want to walk directly in the center?

LOL! see this all the time normally with the head phones on also and they crap themselves when you fly pass and your shadow hits them. I've felt like giving them a quick flick on the backside with my foot but with the laws these days bad idea. :)

I'm ready...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:

I'm ready...

airzound is made for these situations. :mrgreen:
jasonc

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 pm

jasonc wrote:

I think I might need 2 airzounds :x :x in case one isn't loud enough :wink:
Dragster1

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

you realise I'm encourageable. so stop it.
jasonc

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

It only takes one Air Zound and a well timed toot..... :-D

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Air Zounds are the best accessory I've ever bought for my bicycle. Never going without again!
thomashouseman

Postby citywomble » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 am

CXCommuter wrote:
Dibs to the guy along West Coast Highway PSP on his Tribars watching a video on his Dumbphone/tablet whilst cruising at 30km/h.

Sounds like a complete D***head to me.

This is not a PSP (Principal Shared Path) but a lower speed recreational Shared Path. OK alongside West Coast Highway there are places with very few pedestrians but further north, alongside West Coast Drive, then this is too fast, too stupid and just plain reckless.

Shared Paths are for slower cycling, max 20kph, and ready to give way/stop at any time. Tribars or any distractions are not in order. This guy should be on moron motorists as an honorary member as he seems to be as well qualified.
citywomble

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45 am

citywomble wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:

Sounds like a complete D***head to me.

This is not a PSP (Principal Shared Path) but a lower speed recreational Shared Path. OK alongside West Coast Highway there are places with very few pedestrians but further north, alongside West Coast Drive, then this is too fast, too stupid and just plain reckless.

Shared Paths are for slower cycling, max 20kph, and ready to give way/stop at any time. Tribars or any distractions are not in order. This guy should be on moron motorists as an honorary member as he seems to be as well qualified.

Just curious - what is the problem with tri-bars (which I used to use when I was still riding).

Actually tri-bars seem to me to be a bit less common than they used to be.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Image Train Horn 178 db
Dragster1

Postby Percrime » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Very unpleasant woman and hubby... both apparently 65 on the Centennial trail today. I passed them going the other way at marginally over jogging pace... (I could tell cos the joggers I had passed back before burke rd were still in sight behind) on my side.. and completely on my side and a foot or so clear. I passed.. they yelled abuse. I returned to enquire.

It appears I should have completely left the path to allow those people to use it in its entirety as "bicycles must give way to pedestrians' and they were walking alongside each other over the middle of the path and that was their utter right.

Self entitled plonkers.

I suggested to the male that if he was so keen on a fight I was fine with it and the woman suggested I was picking on an old man. Pah.. bigger age difference between my brother and me.

Seriously... its a long while since I have met bigger wastes of oxygen. I,m going to start jogging that bit of path and I wont be moving over an inch for anyone going the other way.
Percrime

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Think I met them in Sunbury a few weeks back Perc. Slow to walking pace to pass and get the "Its a footpath, Pal".
Told him if he wanted to hang around for 20 odd minutes I'd be back with a print of the appropriate state and local laws stating the blindingly obvious, ill mannered dill just turned his back...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Percrime » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Seriously meeting absolute wastes of space like that just sours your day. Last one was some ar$e who had a go at me for saying 'passing' instead of ringing a bell. And they are the sods who will run you down because you ride two abreast. Much of the misery on the planet and the majority of stupid lawsuits are from these sort of people
Percrime

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Percrime wrote:Self entitled plonkers.

Legally they're right. And still plonkers. Probably just as self-entitled and incapable of courtesy when behind the wheel of a car. Scary thought.

But if you get off your bike and start walking and hold your line, you turn the tables on them. ;)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion