The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 pm

FAIR GAME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Opens popcorn*
(Personal opinion: Both in the wrong but nothing overall wrong to dwell about. Like stepping left of someone as they step right. You then step right and they step left. Annoying but then your on your way again. And you can tell that its starting to get dark because of the highlights in the video ie your blacks and whites as the camera tries to compensate)
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

by BNA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

BNA

Postby eldavo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

3D popcorn, this must be tasty :)

That's right human909, I'm not apologetic for a rider who can’t slow down while at speed through an intersection on a bike without brakes.

Why did the chicken cross the road... because it was a fixed gear bike at speed without brakes and couldn't stop :lol:
eldavo

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Eh. Still tastes like youre eating air :P
Lukeyboy

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 pm

human909 wrote:Oh dear! :shock:

At least a SMIDSY is admitting their mistake in the incident. You seem to oblivious to your own mistake which is worse. (Sure the other rider might be riding fast, have no lights and limited braking. But that does not diminish your responsibilities to ride safely. Cutting somebody off it not riding safely!)

Donoghue vs Stevenson.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby skull » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 pm

yellagonga wrote:hit my bike I hit your car http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2eb_1377596404

I am happy with that outcome.

The car is dinged up and the d-bag from the car got knocked on his arse and doesn't look like he was getting back up. I think the bird may have even copped a slap in the face.

The only thing that I am not happy with was the bike getting damaged.
skull

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm

twizzle wrote:

At least a SMIDSY is admitting their mistake in the incident. You seem to oblivious to your own mistake which is worse. (Sure the other rider might be riding fast, have no lights and limited braking. But that does not diminish your responsibilities to ride safely. Cutting somebody off it not riding safely!)

Donoghue vs Stevenson.

Sent from my iThingy...

Ah yes, genesis of the ambulance chaser.

I note that due care and attention was given to the vehicle that could cause damage while it was not for the other vehicle or indeed the pedestrians forced to give way on a sharepath...

I also note a disturbing attitude to someone perceived as a member of a "different" tribe even tho' a member of the same species.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby London Boy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 pm

twizzle wrote:

Donoghue vs Stevenson.

Butterfield v Forrester is probably more apt.
London Boy

Postby high_tea » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 pm

London Boy wrote:
twizzle wrote:

Donoghue vs Stevenson.

How's about Manley v Alexander?
high_tea

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:14 pm

high_tea wrote:
London Boy wrote:
twizzle wrote:Donoghue vs Stevenson.

How's about Manley v Alexander?

Having run over a snake due to being distracted by some daft woman waving her hands at me in a bizarre attempt to warn me that a snake was on the path... I'm with the dissenting judges!

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am

Is citing case names the same as name calling or a 'see-how-far-I-can-pee' contest? Somehow the above feels like it. :wink:

Anyhoo, onto a dumb cyclist last night. On his electric tandem bicycle (back seat looked to be for a baby and/or child and it had a foot rest ledge presumably so the person in the back didn't get their feet caught in the rear wheel - child's seat was carrying this cyclist's bag at the time).

First off he pushes to the front of the cyclist queue at a set of lights (I was at the front). Okay. So I slot in behind him and cruise because I can't be bothered overtaking him just for him to overtake me at another set of lights. Anyway, he turns left at the end of a street (which has a Stop sign that he ignores) and as I turn left into the same street I see him turning right 20 metres up the road without indicating into a dead-end side street...

Right in front of a car that was going straight ahead who had to quickly brake so as not to hit him. I think the driver was shaken because they took a few seconds to start moving off again. And then this rider possibly sees that the street he has turned into is a dead end (it's not very long), so does a u-turn back out into the road he just came from, making the whole brown pants for the motorist moment a needless exercise. Very dumb.

EDIT: And for some photos (because all posts need pictures):

The bike in question:
Image and Image

Him turning in front of the car:

Oh yeah. I forgot that detail. He wasn't wearing a helmet either. Now, I don't overly care about that, but if you're going to stupidly turn in front of cars then you may want to wear protection.
Last edited by Summernight on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Summernight

Postby zero » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54 am

Summernight wrote:Is citing case names the same as name calling or a 'see-how-far-I-can-pee' contest? Somehow the above feels like it. :wink:

No its more like peeing in your pocket and looking around to see who else is doing it as well and getting the same warm feeling.

Now that its my turn, I don't agree with the dissenters on Manley V Alexander. If you see a danger that is so distracting that you can't watch where you are going, then a prudent and reasonable driver should brake.
zero

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Summernight wrote:Is citing case names the same as name calling or a 'see-how-far-I-can-pee' contest? Somehow the above feels like it. :wink:

Anyhoo, onto a dumb cyclist last night. On his electric tandem bicycle (back seat looked to be for a baby and/or child and it had a foot rest ledge presumably so the person in the back didn't get their feet caught in the rear wheel - child's seat was carrying this cyclist's bag at the time).

Surly big dummy fyi
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Baalzamon wrote:

Surly big dummy fyi

What a fitting name. :lol:
Summernight

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Summernight wrote:Oh yeah. I forgot that detail. He wasn't wearing a helmet either. Now, I don't overly care about that, but if you're going to stupidly turn in front of cars then you may want to wear protection.

To be perfectly honest it sounds like he has precious little to protect!! 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:08 pm

zero wrote:

No its more like peeing in your pocket and looking around to see who else is doing it as well and getting the same warm feeling.

Now that its my turn, I don't agree with the dissenters on Manley V Alexander. If you see a danger that is so distracting that you can't watch where you are going, then a prudent and reasonable driver should brake.

Must be nice to be so perfect and abnormal.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby Undertow » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:24 pm

eldavo wrote:I wouldn't be a SMIDSY'ing, I'd be a WTFAUFT'ing, no zombie-ing or failing to look or slow or give due care and attention for the intersection on my part, so happy to meet him and exchange words.

I'm not out there to block his race line, but if you carry speed and don't have brakes or don't want to slow down to adjust your line, you have no lights, dark clothes, and not adjust for a multi-intersection on a bend... That's not sharing the path. Yes it is a shared path of some variety. His speed was well above a jogger, with no ability to slow or stop like a jogger could in that same distance.

Video is happy to stay, I've got no issue pointing out that you can't expect people to give way to you if you flaunt all the rules and don't choose to be seen, choose to share, or choose to ride on a bicycle that is able to slow down when it needs to =)

What if he was going straight? I didn't see him indicating so the assumption would be that he's going to keep going straight and therefore it is fully your responsibility to give way.

It feels to me like you're opinino is that because he's on a fixie wearing dark clothes with no helmet or lights that he has no rights and therefore you can just barge in front of him and it'll be his fault if he hits you. Your attitude seems to be the same as motorists that don't care about cyclists "because they shouldn't be on the road" so they feel they can close shave us and it'll be our fault if we get hit.
Undertow

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:47 pm

We both got through fine, I crossed and he continued straight... even though the shared path ends to foot path but infrastructure isn't perfect so don't blame anyone for being confused.

My post and entertainment was that he's riding a bike without brakes that he can't slow down on, so he has to lock up the rear and cross it up to point into the oncoming traffic lane and then roll again to straighten up in order to slow down. Very convoluted way since the front brake caliper does it ever so elegantly.

That's right, my opinion is that anyone stepping out on a bike like that without brakes from the offset intending to use shared paths is a knob.
To compound that lack of common sense to then do it in dark clothing at sunset with no lights, reinforces my opinion.
I don't mention helmets, I stay away from that bombshell as there's a thread for that.

I didn't just barge in front of him, I crossed at a designated crossing and was looking with my best intentions to give way to everybody as I usually do. I didn't see him, I don't know when he saw me, but we both made it through just fine.
If he had lights I might have seen him earlier.
If he had brakes he might have been able to slow down like he would have to do the same for a pedestrian, a pram, or any other object that is in the way to avoid an accident in the regular daily traffic of life. That's what brakes are for. Nobody is perfect and sometimes we have to slow down for others... as much as everyone these days can't find it in themselves to do that. The idea of setting out on an illegal bike that can't do it from the offset, makes you a knob in my opinion.

I also pointed out examples for people who think that they can pick and choose the laws they obey and expect everyone else to respect their choices, that the law you break doesn't cop it, nor do the other people along the way who don't drink the cyclist coolade.

My attitude isn't those words you recycled, but simple as said in the beginning:
"that anyone stepping out on a bike like that without brakes from the offset intending to use shared paths is a knob."
eldavo

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:49 pm

eldavo wrote:We both got through fine

... only because he took evasive action. You sound like the cops who respond to close calls and near-misses with "Well, he didn't hit you, did he?"
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail
BastardSheep

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:59 pm

eldavo wrote:I didn't see him, I don't know when he saw me, but we both made it through just fine.
If he had lights I might have seen him earlier.
If he had brakes he might have been able to slow down like he would have to do the same for a pedestrian, a pram, or any other object that is in the way to avoid an accident in the regular daily traffic of life. That's what brakes are for. Nobody is perfect and sometimes we have to slow down for others... as much as everyone these days can't find it in themselves to do that. The idea of setting out on an illegal bike that can't do it from the offset, makes you a knob in my opinion.

I also pointed out examples for people who think that they can pick and choose the laws they obey and expect everyone else to respect their choices, that the law you break doesn't cop it, nor do the other people along the way who don't drink the cyclist coolade.

My attitude isn't those words you recycled, but simple as said in the beginning:
"that anyone stepping out on a bike like that without brakes from the offset intending to use shared paths is a knob."

You keep calling the other cyclist all sorts of nasty names. And keep blaming him. Your excuse? I didn't see him.

I get sick of hearing such attitudes from motorists who cut off cyclists. I don't expect to hear them from another cyclist.
human909

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't feel the urge to speak through a bouquet of flowers for people who consciously do as dumb a thing as setting up a bike to be without brakes. Bike + no brakes = dumb. That's only the first rider with no brakes I've seen having to brake and fail, I don't know how many get around where you ride, but it's new to me... maybe it's normal for you.

The only name I call him is a knob. Not "all sorts of nasty names", that's your imagination.
I don't blame him for anything, I'm entertained by his inability to brake and call him a knob for riding a bike with no brakes.
eldavo

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 pm

There were a couple of cyclists in the Melbourne CBD who rode the bikes with no brakes and used the locking up the back wheel and going sideways to brake trick. It always scared me no end being behind them (or even being a ped on the footpath beside them) and thinking they were about to fall over or something was wrong with their bikes. The grinding of the tyre on the road as they braked was not a favourite sound of mine.

I haven't seen them recently though.
Summernight

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Undertow wrote:What if he was going straight?

Onto the foopath? Isn't that illegal except in the ACT and NT? Wouldn't the "reasonable man" expect MrFixie to be slowing and turning across the road?

Mr Fixie wasn't anticipating what was going to happen, eldavo made assumptions about Mr Fixie which proved to be incorrect. From a law point of view - eldavo's fault. But if eldavo had been crossing on foot instead of on his bike - it immediately becomes Mr Fixies fault. Not so black-and-white, is it?
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby zero » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Its not even black and white for a pedestrian, because they aren't allowed to step into a vehicles path either, and the giveway rule specifically applies to pedestrians on paths, not pedestrians wanting to step onto paths.
zero

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for the post on that Tandem knobby headed person. What a tool.
Thread is turning into a bit of a slanging match from where I'm sitting....carry on
BianchiCam

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm

zero wrote:Its not even black and white for a pedestrian, because they aren't allowed to step into a vehicles path either, and the giveway rule specifically applies to pedestrians on paths, not pedestrians wanting to step onto paths.

ARR 250.2.b. Then try and prove the pedestrian walked into your path and was 100% liable for the collision - when you have no brakes.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion