The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby cp123 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:53 pm

I would've slowed and let the bus pull out in front of me and continued on.

I'd also tend to look at how many people are getting on or off. If there was a line up of about 5 people waiting to get on, i would've done a quick head check and lane change if it was likely i had time to get past the bus. But if it was already about to go, then just slowed and wait.
cp123

by BNA » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 pm

BNA

Postby duncanm » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:Fair enough but that still makes it very very iffy for the cyclist to do the quick whip out and past.

Depending on the timing as a cyclist from past experience there (and I too have ridden that road plenty of times from Glendale to Edgeworth) I would have either:
a) Taken the lane and given the car behind me a wave of thanks and nervously watched the bus for any sign it was about to run over me or
b) If time, pulled in behind the bus, slowed down and let it go and stayed left.

Not being there to know the exact timing and spacing of everything it is hard to say if I would have done a) or b).

I would NOT have done what that cyclist did but having had buses pull out on me a few times when I start passing them and no indicator and when I am past their rear I see the front indicator go on as the bus just instantly starts to pull out has made me VERY nervous of that situation!

yeh.. I was thinking option b), too... just slow down and stay behind the bus.

But we're second guessing the guy on the bike - I think we was going to whip around the bus, but then did a head check and saw the car.
duncanm

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:47 pm

To the pedestrian running in the bike lane beside the line of parked cars... On the WRONG side of the road without lights into oncoming traffic (and yes, it is a fairly busy side street during peak hour), what you were doing was not the smartest thing to do when there are TWO, yes TWO perfectly adequate footpaths on either side of the road, not to mention the other side of the road if you must run on the road (which you clearly wouldn't as you'd be honked by the cars).

You're lucky I don't use that bike lane because it is a dooring zone. And clearly you own the road because when you saw me you made no attempt to move out of the bike lane to the wonderful footpath. :roll:

I just shook my head at you and rolled on by.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the lady who took a step out onto the road on the corner of Collins and Swanston in front of the cyclist in front of me - you almost had your foot run over... I was wondering why, and then I passed you and saw you were engrossed in your i-stupid phone and oblivious to the world. It all makes sense now...
Summernight

Postby kenwstr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:48 pm

On a different tack,

Put a new chain on the bike Saturday and all seemed well until I got a bit of speed and shifted into higher gears when the chain jumped some teeth. By 15 km I had slowed it down to lower gears to ease the situation. But the old chain was still in spec so why is it jumping? After a while, perhaps 20 km or so. I realised the jump was at regular intervals a little over 2 crank turns (about a chain length). By 30 km I realised the links must be stiff at the join point. Sure enough when I tested it wasn't free moving so it got a reverse set from the derailleur and then unsurprisingly de-railed. Easy fixed back home with a little reverse push from the chain tool to separate the plates ever so slightly.

1. Dum for not checking the join.
2. Dum for not turning back earlier and just hoping things might bed in and rectify themselves. (But it really came down to: I just wanted to do my ride after enforced time out for a wheel rebuild)
3. Dum for taking so long to figure it out.
kenwstr

Postby rdp_au » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 am

Dumb for not spelling the word correctly :-)
rdp_au

Postby zephyrus17 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:05 pm

On my way home from uni, I always take Rundle Street in Adelaide, and it's a typical restaurant/shopping street. Pedestrians cross the street randomly, and I always anticipate it. Everyday, there's always the person that only looks at cars and ignores the bikes. However, yesterday was epic. A woman was on her phone as she crossed the road, and didn't even see the 3 of us on our bikes. Her husband tried to slow her down, but she just shrugged him off and kept walking. I felt like punching that arrogant face so much.
zephyrus17

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 pm

zephyrus17 wrote:On my way home from uni, I always take Rundle Street in Adelaide, and it's a typical restaurant/shopping street. Pedestrians cross the street randomly, and I always anticipate it. Everyday, there's always the person that only looks at cars and ignores the bikes. However, yesterday was epic. A woman was on her phone as she crossed the road, and didn't even see the 3 of us on our bikes. Her husband tried to slow her down, but she just shrugged him off and kept walking. I felt like punching that arrogant face so much.

To paraphrase that silly TV ad from decades ago: "It's moments like these you need AirZounds" :P
VRE

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:58 pm

zephyrus17 wrote:...I felt like punching that arrogant face so much.

One day that type will meet a cyclist with the same attitude. Would it be churlish to hope that on that day there is somebody nearby with a suitable video recording device operating?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
zephyrus17 wrote:...I felt like punching that arrogant face so much.

One day that type will meet a cyclist with the same attitude. Would it be churlish to hope that on that day there is somebody nearby with a suitable video recording device operating?

you don't want to be there with that. someone will end up getting charged. but if it was hearsay.....
jasonc

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Not me :shock:

I'm a picture of serenity when I ride, nothing winds me up :wink:

I just think the video would be a hoot :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby kenwstr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 pm

rdp_au wrote:Dumb for not spelling the word correctly :-)

You gat that hu. :wink:

Ken
kenwstr

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:24 am

Me today.

A bus was stopped on the on-road on a downhill section, I watched the last passenger getting on and decided I had enough time to get past. Seconds later he flicked the right-hand indicator on and started to roll... 50kph + downhill = insufficient brakes, which caused both myself and the driver a few moments of panic as I tried to pull up and the driver dived back to the side of the road and braked.

It would have been nice if he had waited the 5 seconds after indicating before commencing to move... but I should never have put myself in the situation in the first place.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:29 pm

twizzle wrote:Me today.

A bus was stopped on the on-road on a downhill section, I watched the last passenger getting on and decided I had enough time to get past. Seconds later he flicked the right-hand indicator on and started to roll... 50kph + downhill = insufficient brakes, which caused both myself and the driver a few moments of panic as I tried to pull up and the driver dived back to the side of the road and braked.

It would have been nice if he had waited the 5 seconds after indicating before commencing to move... but I should never have put myself in the situation in the first place.

What's an "indicator"? As far as I know, Australian cars are only fitted with confirmators*.

* to confirm what you've already done.
VRE

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 pm

From my previous post:

Scarfy96 wrote:I would NOT have done what that cyclist did but having had buses pull out on me a few times when I start passing them and no indicator and when I am past their rear I see the front indicator go on as the bus just instantly starts to pull out has made me VERY nervous of that situation!

I can so relate to you! Approaching a bus letting people off is certainly one of my "very alert" flags when riding.
Scarfy96

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:16 pm

latest episode in my one-man crusade to educate dog walkers of the virtues of placing a leash around their pets' necks.

i know i get carried away with these, but they annoy me. i particularly like the evasive logic employed by our subject in today's footage.
jules21

Postby zephyrus17 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:25 pm

I always give a very wide berth. They always seem to indicate and start rolling at the same time, only then do they look into their mirrors.

jules21 wrote:latest episode in my one-man crusade to educate dog walkers of the virtues of placing a leash around their pets' necks.

i know i get carried away with these, but they annoy me. i particularly like the evasive logic employed by our subject in today's footage.

Why bother? They give excuses like in the video, or: "The leash is going to hurt it", "It's more free without the leash", "it's never done that before", "Do you do drugs?"
zephyrus17

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 pm

zephyrus17 wrote:Why bother? They give excuses like in the video, or: "The leash is going to hurt it", "It's more free without the leash", "it's never done that before", "Do you do drugs?"

i do it knowing i have it on video. for some reason it makes me feel better.
jules21

Postby tekapo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Was on the 112 tram this morning heading towards Northcote. As the tram passes Swanston on Collins, I saw quite a few fit looking lyrca clad cyclists climbing along up the hill on the right hand side of the tram.....
tekapo

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:42 am

jules21 wrote:latest episode in my one-man crusade to educate dog walkers of the virtues of placing a leash around their pets' necks.

I think the cyclist prettty much got it right in his summation. When people have nowhere to hide they cling to irrelevancies and simply lie as if their life depended on it.

"You didn't ring your bell!". Sheesh.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:39 am

She would make a good politician.
Everyone's fault but mine and just turning your answer back into the negative and the next question.

I would go back on a mission to catch the dog on video responding as promised by the owner to a cyclist bell.
The Pavlov method, that could earn you a win in a science journal.
Wakatuki

Postby stretts » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 am

zephyrus17 wrote:On my way home from uni, I always take Rundle Street in Adelaide, and it's a typical restaurant/shopping street. Pedestrians cross the street randomly, and I always anticipate it. Everyday, there's always the person that only looks at cars and ignores the bikes. However, yesterday was epic. A woman was on her phone as she crossed the road, and didn't even see the 3 of us on our bikes. Her husband tried to slow her down, but she just shrugged him off and kept walking. I felt like punching that arrogant face so much.

Rundle street is notorious. The old step out on to the road without even checking, leisurely cross into a cyclists path and act as if the cyclist has wronged you haha
stretts

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:22 pm

I had the dumb pedestrian in Fairfield today - mentioned I was passing, he looked back and then deliberately walked further towards the centre of the path. :x I have a term for this kind of pedestrian, but it'd get me banned from here if I said it.

And two groups with dogs not on leads. First one,a group of walkers with a little dog not on the lead and wandering aimlessly about just like its owners were. This group I did gesture my annoyance after I got past them.

Second one, a lovely young lady with her dog (a bulldog of some sort) not on the lead and wandering about. For some reason I didn't care this time. :)
g-boaf

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Summernight wrote:To the pedestrian running in the bike lane beside the line of parked cars... On the WRONG side of the road without lights into oncoming traffic (and yes, it is a fairly busy side street during peak hour), what you were doing was not the smartest thing to do when there are TWO, yes TWO perfectly adequate footpaths on either side of the road, not to mention the other side of the road if you must run on the road (which you clearly wouldn't as you'd be honked by the cars).

Not sure about the law where you live but I'm pretty certain in ACT that pedestrians (which obviously includes joggers) are supposed to walk against the traffic if using a road. A busy road during peak-hour is probably not the smartest place to jog as you say - legal or not.

Summernight wrote:EDIT: Oh yes, and the lady who took a step out onto the road on the corner of Collins and Swanston in front of the cyclist in front of me - you almost had your foot run over... I was wondering why, and then I passed you and saw you were engrossed in your i-stupid phone and oblivious to the world. It all makes sense now...

I would love a mobile phone jamming device for the same reason, how more peds aren't killed amazes me as they walk around oblivious to their surroundings. Your life won't end if you don't check that SMS or update Facebook for 5 minutes but it most likely will end or suddenly get very messy if you step out into traffic without looking.
Ross

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Ross wrote:I would love a mobile phone jamming device for the same reason, how more peds aren't killed amazes me as they walk around oblivious to their surroundings. Your life won't end if you don't check that SMS or update Facebook for 5 minutes but it most likely will end or suddenly get very messy if you step out into traffic without looking.

And what happens when someone needs to use the phone for a genuine emergency (eg, someone having a heart-attack)? :roll: If they aren't already against the law, then such devices should be - and those caught with them should get a few months in prison for their efforts.
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Relax BOAF, methinks that was more wishful thinking along the line of "I wish I could strap an Uzi to the bars for those elbow shaving clowns.
I'm still a big advocate of one of these as an audible warning device...

Many hours amongst CBD meanderthals and skullwired zombies and it's never failed to get attention.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion