The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm

bloody possums don't pay rego! get off the bridge!! :evil:

i now regret the effeminate coo-cooing sounds i made :oops:
jules21

by BNA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

jules21 wrote:i now regret the effeminate coo-cooing sounds i made :oops:

You were a different bloke back then Jules, experience has changed you...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Mulger bill wrote:You were a different bloke back then Jules, experience has changed you...

for better or worse?! :)
jules21

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Spotted a rider today under speed witha tailwind approaching a roundabout. He was just behind a large motorbike, probably a Harley. The rider then overtook the Harley on the outside through the single lane roundabout. Harley rider looked over at him as if to say 'what are you doing ya loony?' If the Harley had gone wide on the exit of the roundabout there could have been another cyclist knocked down. For some reason the dashcam in the work car didn't record it for me, funny coz it recorded plenty of other useless rubbish today.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm

jules21 wrote:bloody possums don't pay rego! get off the bridge!! :evil:

i now regret the effeminate coo-cooing sounds i made :oops:

It wasn't even on a leash. Won't someone think of the cyclists???
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

AKO wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.

That is a huge worry. Lots of water and take tomorrow off.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
AKO wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.

That is a huge worry. Lots of water and take tomorrow off.

Start night shift tomorrow night so should be all good. Feeling heaps better now and just been guzzling water and aqualyte all day. I kind of defeated the purpose of riding on an empty stomach by eating lollies, chocolate and other rubbish most of the day. I was just too flat to prepare meals.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm

bychosis wrote:Spotted a rider today under speed witha tailwind approaching a roundabout. He was just behind a large motorbike, probably a Harley. The rider then overtook the Harley on the outside through the single lane roundabout. Harley rider looked over at him as if to say 'what are you doing ya loony?' If the Harley had gone wide on the exit of the roundabout there could have been another cyclist knocked down. For some reason the dashcam in the work car didn't record it for me, funny coz it recorded plenty of other useless rubbish today.

Video or it didn't happen. 8) :lol: :P (and you did notice those smilies, didn't you).
g-boaf

Postby schroeds » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:16 pm

AKO, can I ask...What was the 'purpose of riding on an empty stomach'? :-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

schroeds wrote:AKO, can I ask...What was the 'purpose of riding on an empty stomach'? :-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Trying something new to lose a few stubborn kilos. Can't seam to lose the remaining belly fat.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am

Just trying to download a video from my puta. It may not work. Just click on the post.Please let me know if it worked. I know it is now degraded. Are videos allowed this way?
These things also depend on computer speed. I am not on U tube as yet.
I am cycling along, and It shows a Ped calmly walking around a bus onto the road disregarding the foot path. I don't know how the car behind me went.

outnabike

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am

looks like he is a sikh. in india, the footpaths don't exist, are covered in rubble or serve as extensions of shopfronts. walking on the road is de rigeur. it doesn't surprise me that some immigrants carry on their long-formed habits here. i once saw a car salmoning down Flemington Rd! i thought i was back on holiday in asia.

the fact is, some countries are more backward than others. he hasn't yet realised that in australia, motorists will aim for you.
jules21

Postby Percrime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

The dreaded hunger bonk. Yeah.
Percrime

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Going home last night, had to go get fuel. Turned into Pilbara st Welshpool and what do I see a person on a bike riding towards me on the wrong side of the road.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm

jules21 wrote:looks like he is a sikh. in india, the footpaths don't exist, are covered in rubble or serve as extensions of shopfronts. walking on the road is de rigeur. it doesn't surprise me that some immigrants carry on their long-formed habits here. i once saw a car salmoning down Flemington Rd! i thought i was back on holiday in asia.

the fact is, some countries are more backward than others. he hasn't yet realised that in australia, motorists will aim for you.

Having also been in India, the traffic is significantly different. Cars don't expect to drive down the road at the speed limit without obstruction. Speeds are much slower and everyone seems to give way to everyone, peds, cows, bikes included. It is quite confronting crossing roads there under heavy traffic, but you just pick the tiniest gap and step out - a sure recipe for hospital on this country.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

bychosis wrote:Having also been in India, the traffic is significantly different. Cars don't expect to drive down the road at the speed limit without obstruction. Speeds are much slower and everyone seems to give way to everyone, peds, cows, bikes included. It is quite confronting crossing roads there under heavy traffic, but you just pick the tiniest gap and step out - a sure recipe for hospital on this country.

even though their road toll is horrific and after accounting for all factors, their roads are much more dangerous than ours, their attitude towards other road users - at least their intent - is much more positive than ours. whether it's better to be killed in a head-on collision by someone who thought he could squeeze through than someone who deliberately took out out as he was outraged you were in his way is another matter..
jules21

Postby Bah77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm

bychosis wrote: but you just pick the tiniest gap and step out - a sure recipe for hospital on this country.
It's also a recipe for hospital in India, but that's just the way it is and people have accepted it.
Bah77

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Is that being a dumb cyclist? I went for about 80km on an empty stomach, and only had about 400-500ml of water(no taps around, and had to be conservative). I couldve gone on, but was starving. 1 pork roll later, and Im back to complete the remaining 25km to hit home.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby AKO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 am

QuangVuong wrote:

Is that being a dumb cyclist? I went for about 80km on an empty stomach, and only had about 400-500ml of water(no taps around, and had to be conservative). I couldve gone on, but was starving. 1 pork roll later, and Im back to complete the remaining 25km to hit home.

It was dumb of me because 65klms is a long solo ride for me. First time I've attempted any length ride on an empty stomach never mind a decent length by my standards.

And Percrime, i'd heard of bonking but never thought I would ever push myself hard enough to experience it. I found out you dont have to push yourself hard to bonk, stupidity works too.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby Percrime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah. I have gone from leading a train of people at 40+ kph.. to unable to maintain 25 in a couple of hundred yards. Ate a chocky bar (Well a family block of cadbury ) in a few bites and almost instantly back up to speed. For some reason I bonk really badly and recover really quickly
Percrime

Postby cp123 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

cp123

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I hope this is watchable.
I am just waiting to go through the light and look to my right, to see the following.

Keep the sound up as a car just stops short of a waiting vehicle.

This is interesting as the ped initially has a green light and should cross. But he waves the confused driver through. Then a ute nearly cleans up the waiting car.
Of course the light for the ped goes red and after all that he decides to keep walking.
I unconsciously called the ped an idiot..... :D

Click on the pic.

Last edited by outnabike on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 pm

cp123 wrote:http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/nicole-kidman-knocked-down-by-paparazzo-carl-wu-on-bicycle/story-e6frfmqi-1226718145084

No problem , he will beat the wrap, Nicole saw him coming and yelled WU. Wu thought she was calling him and kept riding towards her..... :lol:
outnabike

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm

It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion