The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 am

skull wrote:You say they might not represent you VRE, but to motorists they do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Then the motorists need to be educated. To me, this blaming of all cyclists for what a minority do is a pretty clear case of prejudice, and I don't intend to act like a victim and pretend that some complete stranger on a bicycle somehow represents me.
VRE

by BNA » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 am

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 am

skull wrote:You say they might not represent you VRE, but to motorists they do.

They don't represent me either. I don't ride in the CBD, so I cannot do anything about them short of lobbying authorities to ban bicycles from the CBD. Do you want me to do that? No, probably not.
g-boaf

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 am

Clowns I'll break it down to simple terms.

Cager see bike rider

Bike rider does something (run red, block traffic)

As far as cager cares all cyclists are the same.

Like it or not.

Also pretty sure this is the thread for dumb peds and cyclists. Just putting out what I have seen of some dumb cyclists.

skull

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am

Easy comeback...

"I saw a bike rider go through a red light once, yer ALL outlaws!"

"I nearly got killed by a car roaring through a roundabout with a beer in his hand, you Sir are a murderous drunkard!"

Throw the bs back at them and watch them splutter indignantly.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am

Mulger bill wrote:Easy comeback...

"I nearly got killed by a car roaring through a roundabout with a beer in his hand, you Sir are a murderous drunkard!"

i remember taking that line with an idiot in a ute talking on his phone and who cut me off. i was on a motorbike. he said "youse all break the rules". i pointed out that i'm not "youse all" and he responded very eloquently with "i'm smash yer!" he was talking through the open passenger window, with his 12 yr old son in the seat...
jules21

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

skull wrote:Clowns I'll break it down to simple terms.

Cager see bike rider

Bike rider does something (run red, block traffic)

As far as cager cares all cyclists are the same.

Like it or not.

Also pretty sure this is the thread for dumb peds and cyclists. Just putting out what I have seen of some dumb cyclists.

As I just mentioned, the underlined part of your post above demonstrates anti-cyclist prejudice, which needs to be stopped, but that won't occur if you just accept it as the way things are.

By the way, calling someone who disagrees with you a clown isn't very classy.
VRE

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

jules21 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Easy comeback...

i remember taking that line with an idiot in a ute talking on his phone and who cut me off. i was on a motorbike. he said "youse all break the rules". i pointed out that i'm not "youse all" and he responded very eloquently with "i'm smash yer!" he was talking through the open passenger window, with his 12 yr old son in the seat...

Not the situation I was thinking about. No rules on the road...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 pm

You're right I should accept other riders riding like tools.

skull

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Who suggested you should? :shock:

I've told people with that attitude before that when they see ME misbehaving they can call ME on it and if they ever do they can have my bikes to do with as they will.

Still ridin'.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Driving through evening traffic at Castle Hill today. The main road (don't know what it's called, not a local). Recumbent rider plodding up the hill in the gutter, literally on the concrete bit, outside the yellow no stopping line. There was an alternative footpath not more than 2m away.

Mr Recumbent: Either claim some lane, or ride the footpath. Don't hide in the gutter.

(pretty sure he had a beard)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

bychosis wrote:Driving through evening traffic at Castle Hill today. The main road (don't know what it's called, not a local). Recumbent rider plodding up the hill in the gutter, literally on the concrete bit, outside the yellow no stopping line. There was an alternative footpath not more than 2m away.

Mr Recumbent: Either claim some lane, or ride the footpath. Don't hide in the gutter.

(pretty sure he had a beard)

That dude (also sure he wears sandles ;-)) has been pottering around this area for years. There reason I say pottering is because I only ever seem to spot him on climbs. At least 6-7 years that I can recall. Always well in the gutter but with amazing skills at holding his line. He always takes main roads too.

I think his flag is what saves him......
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:01 am

numpty riding across the red moggil road pedestrian lights in front a police car
cops response: nothing.
jasonc

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 am

jasonc wrote:numpty riding across the red moggil road pedestrian lights in front a police car

Great. Riding across pedestrian crossings is in many cases encouraged by cycling infrastructure. It shouldn't be illegal in the first place.
human909

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:33 am

human909 wrote:
jasonc wrote:numpty riding across the red moggil road pedestrian lights in front a police car

Great. Riding across pedestrian crossings is in many cases encouraged by cycling infrastructure. It shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

Don't care about riding across the pedestrian crossing (it's allowed at these lights) but it's doing it whilst the lights are red in front of a cop that annoys me.
jasonc

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:08 am

Had this a couple of weeks back- two middle aged CUBs on BSO's riding across an intersection without helmets on in front of cops- no reaction.
CXCommuter

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am

too much paperwork?
jasonc

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:52 am

jasonc wrote:too much paperwork?

Methinks the donuts were hot off the press...

Damn now I am hungry
CXCommuter

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 am

Pedestrian today on Nicholson St in Abbotsford.

I ring the bell three times on approach, then have to brake hard as he proceeds to walk across my line anyway.

No contact, fortunately.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi

Postby cp123 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I was on Edinburgh Street Canberra City going west up the hill. I had a green light approaching Marcus Clark street so was gunning it a bit to get through on the green. Mr dopey ped is standing on the traffic island in the centre of MC street facing the "urban food" corner. As I'm approximately 10 feet from the light he steps off (he had a red man) and strolls on over. He's half way across the lane and looks up and sees me eyeballing him. Does he stop? Does he go and faster or slower? No. So neither do i. :twisted: I just ding my bell and keep on going. He still doesn't make an effort and i know that it's up to me to obviously get out of his way and or move. I ding my bell again and aim relatively at him (obviously i wasn't going to barrell into him... :roll: ) and blow past him.

I get to the next corner and head off into work. Roll down into the basement at work, tie my bike up and out i go. Who saunters in and heads to a locker...? yup - you guessed it. Mr Dopey Ped. I gave him the greasy eye and walk straight past him on my way out.

I wonder if he strolls out in front of cars too... :roll:
cp123

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Is there a thread for good pedestrians? I was cycling home from work yesterday arvo and a ped wanted to walk along the shared path in the opposite direction to most of the bicycle traffic. This pedestrian stopped before entering the path, looked in both directions, waited for an appropriate gap before crossing the path and walking along the edge of the path on the left hand side. If I had a medal I would have given it to him. It's so unusual to see peds take this level of care when using a shared path in a heavy traffic area.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Is there a thread for good pedestrians? I was cycling home from work yesterday arvo and a ped wanted to walk along the shared path in the opposite direction to most of the bicycle traffic. This pedestrian stopped before entering the path, looked in both directions, waited for an appropriate gap before crossing the path and walking along the edge of the path on the left hand side. If I had a medal I would have given it to him. It's so unusual to see peds take this level of care when using a shared path in a heavy traffic area.

Yeah, that's very good. I've seen a couple of them do that myself - and kudos to them for doing so!

When I'm the pedestrian, I do the same.
g-boaf

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

This is from the UK ... it is one seriously brown pants moment for sure ... It is a *.mov so best viewed at the British Transport Police website.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 am

cp123 wrote:
I wonder if he strolls out in front of cars too... :roll:

He'll only need to do it once...

I notice quite often cyclists ridng the wrong way in those new bike lanes on Marcus Clarke St that are one-way, not sure what happens when they meet someone doing the other way as the paths are pretty narrow and not meant for cyclists to ride two-abreast or pass each other.
Ross

Postby Red Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 am

Aushiker wrote:This is from the UK ... it is one seriously brown pants moment for sure ... It is a *.mov so best viewed at the British Transport Police website.

Andrew

Moron of the year award :shock:
Red Rider

Postby redned » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 am

Aushiker wrote:This is from the UK ... it is one seriously brown pants moment for sure ... It is a *.mov so best viewed at the British Transport Police website.

Andrew

Why would you?
The barriers are down, the lights are flashing, the dingers are going and she may have skirted around traffic stopped at the barrier (guessing from her position on the road).
Just why would you?
redned

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion