The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:23 pm

oh dear. I am not going even start confessing all the laws I break every single time I ride. Judging from the comments above, I must be some kind of monster!

Back on topic... dumb pedestrian this morning wandered onto a quite busy road, without looking and almost got cleaned up by a cyclists (not me) but I did make a verbal "uh oh" as I saw what was about to happen. The cyclist was ready though and avoided a collision. I don't really understand the attitude of a person stepping into a road without looking.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

by BNA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 pm

hannos wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
il padrone wrote:In quite a few ways rule-pedantism can be a road safety negative, if the attitude towards real safety is not there.

This.

Unfortunately, too many believe the Govt spouted mantra that if you follow the rules religiously then all will be well. ie Thick fog but I'm doing 58/60 so I'm being a safe driver...

Nope. Being a rule pedant, you are required to drive to the conditions. 58 in a 60 in thick fog is not driving to the conditions.
As for the driver attitudes in Italy, I would expect them to be vastly different to here in Australia so that's comparing apples and oranges.

I'm no pedant on the road. At work, without a doubt. (But there may be exceptions... :wink: )

Have you seen any road safety TV or other mass media spot ('cos let's face it, this is how the bulk of the populace gets the bulk of their information) that mentions anything except unthinking blind obedience to the letter of the law? Driving to the conditions is a relatively subjective concept that can't be simplified down to a sign on the side of the road.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:50 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:dumb pedestrian this morning wandered onto a quite busy road, without looking and almost got cleaned up by a cyclists (not me) but I did make a verbal "uh oh" as I saw what was about to happen. The cyclist was ready though and avoided a collision. I don't really understand the attitude of a person stepping into a road without looking.

If this were anywhere in Italy (or France I believe) this would be normal, safe road crossing behaviour :P

BTW, nobody hit the pedestrian :idea:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:00 pm

il padrone wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:dumb pedestrian this morning wandered onto a quite busy road, without looking and almost got cleaned up by a cyclists (not me) but I did make a verbal "uh oh" as I saw what was about to happen. The cyclist was ready though and avoided a collision. I don't really understand the attitude of a person stepping into a road without looking.

If this were anywhere in Italy (or France I believe) this would be normal, safe road crossing behaviour :P

BTW, nobody hit the pedestrian :idea:

This time.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 pm

I was doing 22kph over the speed limit today... following a guy in a business suit on a CityCycle. COME AT ME BRO!
Lukeyboy

Postby Cowcorner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 pm

A picture paints a thousand words, or rather a video does....

Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby 98octane » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I was doing 22kph over the speed limit today... following a guy in a business suit on a CityCycle. COME AT ME BRO!

What was the limit? Breaking speed limits >60kph is quite a challenge, unless there's a significant downhill.
98octane

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Cowcorner wrote:A picture paints a thousand words, or rather a video does....

Are YOU serious? A father can't carry his child? I didn't see anything unsafe there, if he was speeding along a 30kph that is a different story but he seems perfectly capable of doing what he is doing safely,
human909

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 am

Gonna argue the toss there H. Unbalanced load, only one hand on the bars therefore insufficient braking capability for the Jeebers moments that life can throw at you.

'Druther he fitted some pegs to the rear axle and let junior hang onto him.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 am

Think I agree with Mulger Bill and others. That doesn't look too smart.
g-boaf

Postby skull » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:28 am

The balance load would be a bit tricky . He at least has a helmet on the little ones but not on his own head.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 am

skull wrote:The balance load would be a bit tricky . He at least has a helmet on the little ones but not on his own head.

I actually don't have a problem with the lack of helmet as the only one's safety he was compromising was his own. What I do have a problem with is when people compromise others' safety, especially kids.

I'll nominate myself for a dumb cyclist award here as I'd forgotten to take the lens cap off my new mobius - had I been on the ball prior to this you would have seen this guy going considerably faster (admittedly not 30k though) and all over the place, and this on a PSP with a lot of other cyclists and pedestrians around, including other families.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 am

98octane wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I was doing 22kph over the speed limit today... following a guy in a business suit on a CityCycle. COME AT ME BRO!

What was the limit?

A very fast and high speed limit of 10kph...... which was going on a down gradient too :P
Lukeyboy

Postby high_tea » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:19 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
98octane wrote:

What was the limit?

A very fast and high speed limit of 10kph...... which was going on a down gradient too :P

Goodwill bridge?
high_tea

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 am

Further north. The one with the scaffolding still on it :P
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:47 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Further north. The one with the scaffolding still on it :P

kuriulpa
jasonc

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 am

Mulger bill wrote:Gonna argue the toss there H. Unbalanced load, only one hand on the bars therefore insufficient braking capability for the Jeebers moments that life can throw at you.

'Druther he fitted some pegs to the rear axle and let junior hang onto him.

Shaun

Fair point. It isn't something I would be keen on doing and this is despite being quite willing to dink people for long distances.

But I'm not going to judge OTHER people for doing it.
human909

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:56 am

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Further north. The one with the scaffolding still on it :P

kuriulpa

Correct. The Kurilpa bridge. 10 points for you.
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Correct. The Kurilpa bridge. 10 points for you.

about the only points I'll ever get for anything

had a dumb cyclist this morning. me: going city-bound over the kuriulpa bridge

bike rider coming along tank street heading the same way. cuts me off to hop onto the bike path, so I veer right, and he veers right in front of me

i stop at the lights next to him. he takes out his headphones (of course)
me: "did you look?"
him: "no"
me: "well you cut me off twice"
him: "oh"

iriot
jasonc

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 pm

It just goes to show we have lizard brain cyclists as well as lizard brain motorists and pedestrians... :shock:
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm

I've been complaining about zombie peds around Floriade... Well they ain't nothing compared to around Canberra Hospital! I can forgive the ill and the injured, but the healthy ones shuffling about the place, taking up the whole path, not moving to the side after several polite 'excuse me's...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Good god, the man with the German Shepherd not on a leash down near Hoxton Park Road (near the bus stop in between that road and the next one along the T-Way). :shock: :evil:

The poor teenage girls walking ahead of me, that damn dog lunged at them while he was holding its collar and was snapping like mad, only it couldn't seem to bark or growl. :evil:

And then it went to do the same thing to me! The thing should be on a leash for starters, and if it is that vicious - then perhaps it should be put down, it is going to seriously hurt someone.

The owner of it said as he and the dog came up near me, "he's alright".

And then as he walked further away and I got moving, he let go of its collar.

My god.
The height of idiocy and extremely dangerous. :evil: I would have argued the point, but I didn't feel safe enough to do so. :x
g-boaf

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 pm

On Tuesday's ride home I was riding from the Merri Creek trail to the Main Yarra Trail and had a guy fly around the corner under the bridge for Heidelberg Rd, crossing over the centre line as he came toward me.

He got back onto his side of the trail, then called back "Keep left Hannah". I look up to see a big dog bounding around the corner, after he is well out of sight.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Today's dumb cyclist is me. Riding back through UQ this afternoon, along Sir William Macgregor Drive, was daydreaming a bit and kept closing right up on the back of a ute at each speedbump. I was only trying to conserve momentum, but the driver got understandably annoyed. He yelled at me to back off and wagged a finger at me...I backed off but was then thinking it over and came to the conclusion just after the last place I could have caught him (t junction) that I should probably apologise. Opportunity missed. So in the unlikely event of him coming here, sorry mate. Didn't mean to be a dill, just wasn't thinking. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:...was daydreaming a bit...

Not the best thing to do when riding in traffic. I have done this too at times. Lesson learned and I don't do it any more. I was just lucky not to have an incident to teach me a hard lesson.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion