The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Indeed. Not clever!

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

by BNA » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

BNA

Postby johnny99 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

in light of the discusion about stop signs.

A London lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Glasgow copper.

He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from LONDON and is certain that he has a better education then any Jock cop.

He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Glasgow cops expense!

Glasgow cop says, ” Licence and registration, please.”
London Lawyer says, “What for?”

Glasgow cop says, “Ye did’nt come to a complete stop at the stop sign.”

London Lawyer says, “I slowed down, and no one was coming.”

Glasgow cop says, “Ye still did’nt come to a complete stop. Licence and registration, please”

London Lawyer says, “What’s the difference?”

Glasgow cop says, “The difference is, ye have to come to complete stop, that’s the law. Licence and registration, please!”

London Lawyer says, “If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I’ll give you my licence and registration and you give me the ticket.

If not, you let me go and don’t give me the ticket.”

Glasgow cop says, “Sounds fair. Exit your vehicle, sir.”

The London Lawyer exits his vehicle.

The Glasgow cop takes out his baton and starts beating the living stuffing out of the lawyer and says, “Do ye want me to stop, or just slow doon?”
johnny99

Postby Saturnstarzz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 am

Dumb Cyclist was me this morning.

Stop at City Square in melb CDB, going to visit the Bicycle Victoria peeps, roll to a stop forget to unclip and bang before I know it was on my side digging gravel. :shock:
Very embarrassing in front of a tent full of cyclists.

Last nigh going through dock lands ( whilst the footrscray rd bike path is closed) went a different way get to near a zebra crossing start looking traffic and forget to look forward and notice the set stairs.

only just landed it and made sure nobody was watchinig.
Saturnstarzz

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 am

hahaha Johnny, that was gold! :lol:
FuzzyDropbear

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Two runners tonight on the Canal cycleway in Sydney. Surely they saw me coming with bright blast of light. The male runner decides to spin round and run backwards - moving into my lane! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cue emergency braking and many words that are unsuitable to be written here. :shock: That was too close.

And I didn't see a vehicle coming behind me when looking with glare in my eyes. The vehicle slowed down and I quickly sped up out of the way - but not good. For that I'm sorry and quite embarrassed. :(
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby Thrilloilogy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Peds seem to be more of a problem on shared paths than the cyclists. They seem to lose all their basic senses. Todays dumb pedestrian award goes to the retiree walking his leashed dog through the tunnel under Willoughby Rd off the Gore Hill cycleway towards Hallstrom Park/Bicentennial Reserve. I was happy to go slow till we cleared the tunnel, but this chap sees me and with all good intentions stops - but doesn't reel his dog over to leave enough room for me to pass. So I have to unclip and come to pretty much a stop.... And he says "all good" as I pass. But he was trying to be a considerate chap, so I will live and let live.
Thrilloilogy

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 am

Had a woman lose her proverbial when I told her (politely, I thought) that her dog should be on a leash.

As I was approaching the bridge under the Eastern Freeway on the Main Yarra trail a dog darts out. woman appears shortly afterwards, leash in hand. I say my piece, she screams. I cycle on and see another rider going the opposite direction who looks like he already had to stop fast for the dog.

:/
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 am

Dog walkers are a law unto themselves. You cannot dare say that dear little fido should be restrained because one, dear little fido is always innocent and wouldn't hurt a flea even, and two, cyclists should give way and have rego. :lol:

And failing that, the response is usually "awww shudddup".. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby Percrime » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 am

I think that I probably should start picking up loose fido and taking him to the council.
Percrime

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:02 am

nezumi wrote: she screams.

Scream back. Then when she looks at you rather startled say "see how ____ing stupid that sounds"
Scarfy96

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Depending on the size of the dog, I would point at it "mobile speedhump" and leave them with that thought
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:Peds seem to be more of a problem on shared paths than the cyclists. They seem to lose all their basic senses. Todays dumb pedestrian award goes to the retiree walking his leashed dog through the tunnel under Willoughby Rd off the Gore Hill cycleway...

Yesterday on the Windan Bridge PSP, a cyclist was "walking" his leashed dog. I am lucky. On my PSP, cyclists and peds are all generally well behaved. I would split the "problem" path users 50/50 between peds and cyclists.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby nezumi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:17 am

Riding home yesterday, two ladies with prams on the shared path coming toward me in my lane. I ring my bell. They kind of split but then don't. I end up passing them in the opposite travel lane, pointing down the the paint on the ground AT THIER FEET which shows the intended direction of travel.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 am

Last night, a pedestrian on the wrong side of a *cycle-only* path adjacent to a ped only path made a shoulder-check type motion towards me as I was going past...

After that I gave an oncoming roadie with no lights a fright by going into his lane to hang a 180 degree turn. No risk of collision as I was out of the way before he got to the same spot, or I wouldn't have done it, but gave him a fright and I suggested he get some lights. Maybe he'll listen :roll:

Day before, I saw somebody flying down beside the botanical gardens at Coot-tha at ~60kmh, in the dark, with no lights. I'm worried enough about getting pulled out on there in daylight, let along at night with no lights.
InTheWoods

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am

InTheWoods wrote:Last night, a pedestrian on the wrong side of a *cycle-only* path adjacent to a ped only path made a shoulder-check type motion towards me as I was going past...

This would have elicited an emphatic response... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:19 am

I've never been pushed or shoulder checked by a pedestrian until a few months ago. When a motorist got out of his car to assault me. :roll:

It is easier than your think to stay upright. Also the more you flinch the more you are vulnerable.
human909

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 pm

human909 wrote:I've never been pushed or shoulder checked by a pedestrian until a few months ago. When a motorist got out of his car to assault me. :roll:

It is easier than your think to stay upright. Also the more you flinch the more you are vulnerable.

you take the punch, no matter how much it hurts, smile and reciprocate with a minimum of 2 blows. The smile gives you a fraction of a second to act while their brain is absorbing the "oh crap why is he smiling"
Tomca74

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 pm

I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.
human909

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:38 pm

human909 wrote:I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.

Hear hear, that's what the Zefal HPx is for...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Last night, a pedestrian on the wrong side of a *cycle-only* path adjacent to a ped only path made a shoulder-check type motion towards me as I was going past...

This would have elicited an emphatic response... :oops:

To be more clear, it was more a threat than an actual attempt to make contact.
InTheWoods

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:30 am

After that I gave an oncoming roadie with no lights a fright by going into his lane to hang a 180 degree turn. No risk of collision as I was out of the way before he got to the same spot, or I wouldn't have done it, but gave him a fright and I suggested he get some lights. Maybe he'll listen :roll:

Day before, I saw somebody flying down beside the botanical gardens at Coot-tha at ~60kmh, in the dark, with no lights. I'm worried enough about getting pulled out on there in daylight, let along at night with no lights.

This is the sort of behaviour that gives cyclists a bad name.

Stop playing games and ride with care. Going into someone else's lane to give them a fright is very stupid. Wait for them to pass first.
g-boaf

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:28 am

g-boaf wrote:This is the sort of behaviour that gives cyclists a bad name.

Stop playing games and ride with care. Going into someone else's lane to give them a fright is very stupid. Wait for them to pass first.

I know I know, maybe I shouldn't have done it. But keep in mind that the other rider didn't need to brake or change direction and I was well out of his way by the time he got to the same spot. He would have just wondered why I was approaching him on the wrong side (and was probably well aware that he was practically invisible on a dark path with no lights).
InTheWoods

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 am

had an argument with 2 runners going over the Inner City Bypass via the bike-only path
The suggested I should read. I suggested they should do the same.
:roll:

maybe it's time I call BCC or the police over this one. someone is going to get hurt.
jasonc

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 am

I am the dumb cyclist, shaved my legs last night for the first time not involving a surgeon :roll: - all I have achieved is chicken legs- and I am commuting today- the shame..

Oh carp and a group ride tomorrow. :oops:
CXCommuter

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 am

Don't worry - you are in fine company. :lol: Mine don't have their covering any more either.
g-boaf

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion